Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Looks like Saddam has had it...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have to say that I'm astounded.

The US bogeyman gets convicted and sentenced to death during the US elections. Fancy that!

ETA: of course its a coincidence Aladdin. Bush has a proven track record of fighting elections fair and square;)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    I have to say that I'm astounded.

The US bogeyman gets convicted and sentenced to death during the US elections. Fancy that!

ETA: of course its a coincidence Aladdin. Bush has a proven track record of fighting elections fair and square;)
    I agree; there is nothing, no rift in public sentiment, no irrational fear, or blind nationalism that that bastard wont use to further the neocon political agenda.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    carlito wrote:
    You're grossly oversimplifying the situation in Iraq by arguing that the "insurgents" are fighting for Saddam Hussein. Most of them aren't, they're fighting for a whole range of political, economic, territorial, and most importantly religious and sectarian motives. Some of them will be angered by the verdict, yes, some of them will be delighted. Most of them won't particularly care, they'll be more worried about their own necks. Don't forget that Saddam wasn't especially popular in Iraq, and indeed many of his supporters simply believed that he was the lesser of many evils. Whats been clear since the invasion is that he isn't coming back, so it doesn't matter a whole lot to Iraqis if hes sat in an underground prison cell or six feet under.

I don't think anyone will be suprised about the verdict though - its hardly a shock, is it?

I wasn't impling all of them were, but there are loyal supporters of Saddam still fighting. They are a small, but dedicated group.

The majority fight for thier beliefs, be it sunni, shia, or whatever else. However, it should not be doubted Saddam supporters are well armed and powerful. And this will only give them a martyr. Whilst the the Shia, Kurds, and everyone else is going to be celebrating on the street...

Sunnis who are Saddam's supporters will be angered, and have a great opportunity for more attacks. Alot of Sunnis though, do not support Saddam, but they might well rather fight alongside fellow Sunni than anyone else.