Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Looks like Saddam has had it...

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
Clicky

Bye, old bean. You'll be missed. Bastard as you were, at least Iraq was stable and safe.

This isn't going to solve a fucking thing, it'll only make the situation worse. I mean, either way, at least grant Saddam's request to be executed by firing squad. We put him in power FFS... at least grant him his one last wish as we go back and remove him.

Ah well, bye Saddam!
I leave you with this. A fitting song, I shall play it in his memory.
Edit: Click for Youtube!

Bloody Saddam
Even though the smell is making me sick
As we sit on our roofs
And cheer as your scuds fall like rain ...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well if we execute Sadam for making Iraq an intolerable hell hole. Why don't we the same for Dubya? In case any CIA/Mi5 agents are reading this then I don't really mean it, not, not not not not not not not not not not not! Seriously though, not! :p
  • Options
    We didnt let the military Nazis who were at Nuremberg die by firing squad and we practically let them take power in Germany too. All in all for the crimes he committed, i think a military death by firing squad should not be granted to him.

Finally, what is all this "we" crap about putting him in power? The governments of 20 and 30 years ago put him in power, NOT the governments of today (with the exception of the Republicans who are still in power of couse) and certainly the average Joe on the street didnt put him in power. So lets cut all this "we" bull!
  • Options
    Right verdict, wrong sentence. The death penalty is wrong whether its for Saddam or anyone else. He should have had life without parole.
  • Options
    There's still an appeal to be heard, which could take up to two months. and will he still have to stand trial for other charges. This could go on for years, but will the current sentence trigger the (extra) bloodshed feared now, or will the insurgents patiently await the outcome of that appeal? I mean, it would be embarrassing if they blew up hundreds of innocents and then Saddam was cleared...
  • Options
    All that will happen is that he will become a martyr for his supporters and nothing will change. I pity the people of Iraq who are now going to have to deal with this. I hope the US government has really thought this through, because something tells me that the people fighting the US troops are about to get a whole lot more pissed off...
  • Options
    yeh. power chhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht vaccuum, veyeing factions <nervous eyes> struggle for power <the one> - lots of death in between those spaces.
  • Options
    All that will happen is that he will become a martyr for his supporters and nothing will change. I pity the people of Iraq who are now going to have to deal with this. I hope the US government has really thought this through, because something tells me that the people fighting the US troops are about to get a whole lot more pissed off...

Yeah, because they were the calm epitome of tranquility before!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    ginner wrote:
    Yeah, because they were the calm epitome of tranquility before!

That isn't the point.

The man they were fighting for is bein executed. This is furthur enrage supports who might have before not taken action. They join the ranks. The Fatanatacism for thier dead leader increases, he must be avenged. Cue more murder.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    That isn't the point.

The man they were fighting for is bein executed. This is furthur enrage supports who might have before not taken action. They join the ranks. The Fatanatacism for thier dead leader increases, he must be avenged. Cue more murder.

You're grossly oversimplifying the situation in Iraq by arguing that the "insurgents" are fighting for Saddam Hussein. Most of them aren't, they're fighting for a whole range of political, economic, territorial, and most importantly religious and sectarian motives. Some of them will be angered by the verdict, yes, some of them will be delighted. Most of them won't particularly care, they'll be more worried about their own necks. Don't forget that Saddam wasn't especially popular in Iraq, and indeed many of his supporters simply believed that he was the lesser of many evils. Whats been clear since the invasion is that he isn't coming back, so it doesn't matter a whole lot to Iraqis if hes sat in an underground prison cell or six feet under.

I don't think anyone will be suprised about the verdict though - its hardly a shock, is it?
  • Options
    Carlito's right, the main reason for fighting now seems to be sectarian conflict.

Yeh the insurgents don't like the US invasion, doesn't mean they liked it under Sadam either.
  • Options
    Does anyone else find the veredict being delivered two days before the US' mid term elections an amazing and happy coincidence?
  • Options
    Does anyone else find the veredict being delivered two days before the US' mid term elections an amazing and happy coincidence?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Surely Bush and his cronies wouldn't do that on purpose, they're the good guys, remember. ;)
  • Options
    Of course. And it would also mean the US government has some kind of control and influence over the sovereign nation and government of Iraq- which clearly can't be :D
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Savages. And I don't mean Houssein.
  • Options
    shove the cunt in jail, or make him fight to the death with dubya on tV :D
  • Options
    Even though the world would be a better place without Saddam in it, it is no place for any State, government or individual to execute another person, no matter how vile their cimes might be.

Nor that Iraq has any resemblence of a semi-civilised or enlightened place (LOL!) but it is sad to see they haven't at least pretended to be a civilised country by joining the club of nations have abolished such barbaric practice.

Then again, given that Iraq's mentor is the world's 4th largest state murderer it's no surprise there was little appetite for an abolition of the death penalty.

Nor that it matters much either way. Within a year there might not be an Iraq left anyway. People are already busy working out in how many places they're going to split the nation.
  • Options
    As far as I could tell, Saddam had "lawful authority" to do whatever he did.:chin:

Those folk who worship at the altar of legalland, could you enlighten me as to what he did "wrong" ?

I followed the censored trial to some extent at the start, and his defence seemed quite solid from a "legal" standpoint.
  • Options
    I'm not sure myself. I would imagine from the legal point of view prosecutors could claim there were still laws in Iraq and that in theory at least you couldn't just kill people without trial in revenge for something.

In practice however we all know what happened.

I personally don't see any difference between Saddam killing 140 people in revenge for an assassination attempt and Bush killing tens of thousands in revenge for an attack on New York and Washington. I look forward to the chimp being tried for Crimes Against Humanity. In fact, I would have thought the trial must have happened by now. Can't understand what's holding them :confused:
  • Options
  • Options
    The invasion of Iraq and current situation of effective occupation made a fair trial impossible, whatever the outcome. The whole thing is as crooked as a bucket o' snakes for that reason.
  • Options
    D'you reckon he's seen the South Park movie?
  • Options
    D'you reckon he's seen the South Park movie?
    It was reported a few weeks ago that US soldiers had made him watch it while he was in jail :D

No doubt the creators of South Park are already working on this development.
  • Options
    The verdict and sentencing of Saddam is a matter for the Iraqi people. Our role in the trial should remain limited to ensuring that the verdict and sentence of the court is respected.
  • Options
    But our role has been a little wider than that. Does that not invalidate the trial?
  • Options
    Shame then that members of US and British governments have been very publicly cheering and applauding the death sentence.

It's even worse in this country. At least the Americans are consistent- they are amongst the most prolific executioners in the world. But shame to Blair, Beckett and co. for celebrating the death sentence while they're opposed to it in this country.

The only politician I have heard speak any sense in this country about the sentencing is Ming Campbell.
  • Options
    Precedent has been well established that former leaders are tried by an international court.
  • Options
    I heard that Blair condemned it on the radio a minute ago. But anyway, assuming that the Iraqi government is independent, I will condemn it as lacking any respect for human rights, the same as any other country that actively executes prisoners.
  • Options
    The verdict and sentencing of Saddam is a matter for the Iraqi people. Our role in the trial should remain limited to ensuring that the verdict and sentence of the court is respected.

... and to invading his country, installing a puppet regime, helping to write the very laws under which he was charged, catching him, imprisoning him, keeping hi muntil the trial (and during it)... don't forget those aspects.
  • Options
    I heard that Blair condemned it on the radio a minute ago.

So he has! :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6120050.stm

His master across the Pond won't be too pleased with his puppet going off-message like that I should think.