Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Steven McLaren...

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Time to go, bonehead.

We can't afford to put up with this moron any longer, at this rate we won't qualify.

I'm not one to jump on someone's back after one bad result, but this man does not have a clue, and he's been out-witted by fucking Macedonia. He wouldn't know a tactic if it hit him over the head with a cricket bat.

Lampard is a waste of space, Gerrard is England's best player so he gets dumped on the right wing just because McLaren wants to prove he's a hard man by dropping Beckham, Carrick showed just what a bargain Scott Parker was, and the only player who actually did anything all game was Crouch.

A disgraceful performance, and its time to get a manager in who's not a plank. We've managed to regress back to the dark days of Idiot Hoddle, not bad considering its only his third game in charge.

Still, at least we're not Welsh or Irish.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    We we're a bit shit.

Think 3 games is a bit short to start calling for his head. Although Wednesday's game will be the real big test.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    1 person - David Beckham

McClaren wanted to prove its a new era by dropping Becks from the squad, he is wrong. How can someone go from captain and first team to not even in the squad when we have numerous injuries.

If any one should be dropped its Lampard (im a big fan of lampard) he does nothing apart from shoot from miles out, 1 out of 10 hits target, 1 out of 30 scores.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Time to go, bonehead.

We can't afford to put up with this moron any longer, at this rate we won't qualify.

Talk about an overeaction for fuck sake, two wins and one draw isn't the worst possible start is it?
  • Options
    It's not about that.
    It's about his demeanor and his defensiveness at press conferences too.
    He is not a world figure and i don't think he can deal with the players he's got.
    One of the reasons is that all these players saw that he had no influence over Ericsson for a lot of years so why should they go and trust him now. It's one thing to manage and another to lead.
    And he ain't no leader.

He wasn't even a first choice for the job and that's not a good thing most of the time.

Who was supposed to be a defensive midfielder yesterday?????
    There was no shape to England.
    And no heart.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    godscop wrote:
    Talk about an overeaction for fuck sake, two wins and one draw isn't the worst possible start is it?
    Considering who we've been playing.

Macedonia, Jamaica, teams we should be beating easily.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    It's not about that.
    It's about his demeanor and his defensiveness at press conferences too.

Can't blame him for being defensive at press conferences, the best way to handle the British media is to say nothing.
    He is not a world figure and i don't think he can deal with the players he's got. One of the reasons is that all these players saw that he had no influence over Ericsson for a lot of years so why should they go and trust him now.

I didn't realise you were so involved with the england setup.
    Considering who we've been playing.

Macedonia, Jamaica, teams we should be beating easily.

Yes, but 3 games into qualifying, 2 wins, 1 draw, they're on 7 points and top the group.
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind dropping him, anything to see the English in a crisis is good for me.

I watched the match last night, with a bit of luck and better execution you could have won that game 2/3-0. Wouldn't have this thread if it had gone like that, give him a chance I say.
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fGCsItMlq4&NR

I can't see England not qualifying, same as I can't see Scotland qualifying. Although if they did, I think it'd be up there anything any home nation has done in the last 40 or so years.

Still, Saturday night was the best I've ever felt after a game :thumb:
  • Options
    Think its a massive over-reaction calling for his head lol.

We were shite don't get me wrong and I know in the end the buck stops with the manager but its the players who need to take a hard look at themselves after this below average performance.

McLaren made 2 forced changes to his side and swapped defoe for Rooney, I think if any of us had being in the same situation after some good results we would of all made very similar changes.

I'm not convinced Crouch n Rooney can play together and that didn't help us but its probably the front two most of us would have started with as Crouchs record recently is incredible and Rooney's classed as one of the best players in the world, although he's far from showing that with his perfomances for the scum and this performance for England. We did need someone who could have got behind there defence and Crouch or Rooney were never going to do that.

Not sure whether it was a manger decision or whether he told Gerrard to play a free role in this game but he was drifting way too much. Too many times in the game the player in possession was facing the right wing and Gerrard was too far inside to recieve the pass, it was Neville who provided most of the width in the final third on the right hand side but this should be Gerrards job if he's playing there. I like him drifting occasionally, but it happened too much in this game.

We had the chances to win the game and like someones sadi if they had of being put away this thread wouldn't have being made and everyone would still think Mclaren was a genius lol. It was a lack of quality in front of goal and a lot of the final balls just weren't good enough, McLaren can't be blamed for either in my opinion, they get paid shit loads each week and are quality players who should deliver when they cross that white line when its out of the managers hands.
  • Options
    godscop wrote:

Nine points is a minimum against those teams. We're gonna get spanked by Croatia.

The point is that England have regressed already under McLaren, the man clearly has no idea how to get the team to play. Pushing Gerrard out to the right wing in order to accomodate a defensive midfielder is stupid, continuing to pick the ineffective Lampard is stupid, dropping Beckham is stupid. Defoe is a waste of space, if he isn't even first choice at Spurs he shouldn't be in the England squad. The substiutions were ludicrous- playing a right winger down the left wasn't going to work, replacing Rooney for a Spurs squad player wasn't going to work (although Rooney did need to be taken off).

England have got much much worse in the space of three games under this bonehead, and that's the honest truth. We're back to the dark days of Hoddle and Keegan, the man is out of his depth, and the blame rests entirely with the incompetent FA. He seems to be more intent on proving he's different to Eriksson than he is at picking his best team and using them sensibly.

The reason why I blame mcLaren for England's delivery is because of his team selection- Gerrard is not a right-winger, and it is a waste of his talent to put him there. England's central midfield were negative and clueless because of the insistence on playing a holding midfielder- I can understand that Hargreaves was undroppable, but he's not playing, so why persevere? Why persevere with Lampard? Perhaps if hje was dropped he'd get his lazy Cockney arse into gear. Why no Beckham, he's still England's best right-sided midfielder.
  • Options
    Don't quite think it's time for him to go; I don't remember anyone being sacked after three games but England recently have just not had a fucking clue how to play football. To be perfectly honest, if I were a Macedonian defender, I would have been pissing myself at the complete lack of any kind of ideas upfront.

Ok we're missing Hargreaves which is a big setback plus Lampard has forgotten how to play for England, but even so, we drew against a country most people would be hard pressed to find on a map.

The only time we actually looked like scoring was when Wright-Phillips came on and he can't even get a game for Chelsea. Crouch was good, Rooney looked ok but clearly lacking confidence and every England attack was just so predictible.

I can't believe I'm typing this, I wish I were Scottish. They played like fucking heroes.
  • Options
    You can't argue though that apart from this game Gerrard has being incredible on the right side and has caused opposition massive problems, he wasn't at the races this weekend but thats not Mclarens fault. He also proves on a regular basis for Liverpool that he is a quality player out on the right hand side.

Substitutions - Something needed to be changed, what changes would you have made??
    I called both them substitutions before he made them. Normally though it would have being Joe Cole coming on for Downing if when Joe Cole is fit he doesn't retain his place from Downing. I think we needed someone like SWP coming on and trying to frighten the defence and with the choice of Gerrard or Downing to come off I think he made the right choice, although I suppose he could of brought Lamps off moved Gerrard inside n put SWP on the right. Rooney had to come off, he was poor, he was losing possession too easily and his decision making was slow and crap. Defoe in my eyes was the right choice, he'd linked up well with Crouch in the previous games and he also has the speed and ability to maybe get behind the defence.
    I would like to know the changes you would of made.
  • Options
    I'd have taken both Lampard and Carrick off- neither of them could string two passes together, and in the case of Lampard he hasn't been able to do so since Euro 2004. I'd have replaced them at half time with Parker and SWP, with Gerrard moving inside.

I'd have had Beckham in the squad at the very least.

I'd have put Bent on, because Bent plays regularly and knows where the goal is. Defoe is another Andy Cole.
  • Options
    If you watched the analysis after the game Carrick actually played some very good balls. He had a problem at the start as gerrard n lamps were far too close to him.

I'd also have Beckham in the squad although I don't think he would be in my starting 11.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I'd have taken both Lampard and Carrick off- neither of them could string two passes together, and in the case of Lampard he hasn't been able to do so since Euro 2004.
    Are you kidding? Carrick was hands down our best player (not hard, I know). Every pass he made was positive, and most met their target. But for too long our problem has been a complete lack of movement, for good passers like Carrick to exploit. Agreed on Lampard. Gerrard needs to be given the centre midfield back, because he'll make the quality forward runs for Carrick to pick him out. Right midfield has to go to Wright-Phillips or Lennon when he's fit. And we need to play Rooney or Crouch, because they're both effectively second strikers who need a goal poacher ahead of them. And as soon as Joe Cole is fit, we need him back on the left, because he's one of the few players that we have that can open defences up.

What worries me more than anything though, is that Englands best players are always judged on individual performances, rather than because they dominated the opposition as a team. Someone like Stewart Downing is playing poorly, because he isn't the type of player that's going to take on the whole defence by himself, he's better if the rest of the team are there to make runs for him, where his crossing ability comes to the fore (well usually. I hope Saturday was an off day). We've had the same problem since Sven took charge, and it hasn't changed much yet. On paper we've got one of the best squads in the world, but on the pitch we've got an average team, because we have a team of individuals. And that's down to the manager. But I'm willing to be a bit more patient with McLaren, rather than judging him after 3 games. There's nothing wrong with having a poor performance, if you identify the reasons why and fix it for the next game. So let's see if he does.
  • Options
    I'd also have Beckham in the squad although I don't think he would be in my starting 11.
    It's ironic that McLaren seems to want to play a game which relies on width and getting crosses into the box, which is exactly what Beckham is good at (as long as you make sure he stays out wide). Dropping him would be fair enough if you were planning on a more Arsenal or Chelsea style of play, but they seem to be going with the 90's Man Utd style for now.
  • Options
    Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    Bri-namite wrote:

I can't see England not qualifying, same as I can't see Scotland qualifying. Although if they did, I think it'd be up there anything any home nation has done in the last 40 or so years.

Great video :) (Great result!)
  • Options
    (Great result!)

Incorrect.

Fucking magic result.
  • Options
    Are you kidding? Carrick was hands down our best player (not hard, I know). Every pass he made was positive, and most met their target.

I didn't realise our strikers were sat in the back of the Stretford End. He was more effective than Lampard, I'll grant you that, but that wasn't hard.

The only two people who turned up on Saturday were Crouch and King.

Poor performances don't bother me, everyone has an off-day, but it was the complete and total lack of any ideas. I can tolerate ideas not working, what I cannot stand is the tactical void at the heart of the English managerial team. McLaren is an excellent coach- he proved that at Derby and United- but that does not make him a decent manager.
  • Options
    And one draw doesn't make him a bad one.

Am I missing something or isn't this the same team to held us during the last qualification?
  • Options
    It's the same team with all the ability and passing gone.

I admit that I was completely against the appointment of McLaren as Head Coach, but already it looks like I'm vindicated. He's a good coach, but he cannot manage a team at the highest level, as he showed at Boro.

The FA turned down O'Neill for this?
  • Options
    For Christ Sake, he's only been there for 5 minutes and just because we drew with Macedonia you want him out? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:

A fucking quality result not to be undervalued ! :D

In all honest i thought the appointment of McLaren was a mistake. Like was mentioned the guy wasnt first choice and if you're anything behind second choice you're obviously not good enough. You thought the appointment of Sven was bad ?

In saying all that, The English fans need to give him more time, although getting nothing out of games against teams like macadonia, it's understandable to be outraged.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It's the same team with all the ability and passing gone.

You did watch England under Sven, didn't you?

It's basically much the same but without Beckham in the team - and also no Owen, Cole and Hargreaves at the moment. Problem wit hplaying Crouch is that it's just too easy to punt the ball forward...
    I admit that I was completely against the appointment of McLaren as Head Coach, but already it looks like I'm vindicated.

Hardly, he's unbeaten and top of his group.
    He's a good coach, but he cannot manage a team at the highest level, as he showed at Boro.

... by only winning their first ever trophy and only taking them to a European final. How many other managers can claim that in this day and age?

Did you seriously believe that they would ever have taken him on?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Nine points is a minimum against those teams. We're gonna get spanked by Croatia.

The point is that England have regressed already under McLaren

No, england were shit, unimaginative and plain fucking boring to watch under sven, nothing has changed yet. 7 points out of a possible 9 is a good start, they're top of the group ffs.

Please stop, by your reaction anyone would think they lost 0-4.
  • Options
    I didn't expect the FA to appoint O'Neill- that would have been a sensible and intelligent appointment. What is known is that O'Neill would have said yes straight away if he'd been offered it.

I don't have any particular problem with McLaren as a man or as a coach, but he is not able enough for the England job, and his assistant is as clueless as he is.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Yes, but they couldn't risk upsetting the master race could they, with their xenophobic desire for a shite English manager? :rolleyes:

England fans don't deserve O'Neill.
  • Options
    macedonia aren't that bad.... more people would know them as yugoslavia and they have some decent players.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    macedonia aren't that bad.... more people would know them as yugoslavia and they have some decent players.

No, that's Serbia.

Macedonia is a mountain country with two million people and ten million sheep.
  • Options
    Though I thought Carrick played well, he was probably one of the reasons that they could pass it around so well. There was no-one to break up play and get possession back for us. Noramally against opposition like this, that wouldn't be a problem, we'd just pass it around better than they do. But as it was, we played shit and let them play, rather than doing one or the other.