Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Steven McLaren...

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Toadborg wrote:
    Replace Carragher with King and it would be better.

Carragher looked like he was going in Slow-mo last night....
    He did look slow I grant you that but I like him, hes a no nonsense get stuck in defender.
    (if anyone merits dropping on current form its Rooney, not Crouch...at least Crouch sticks the ball in the net against the crap teams, which is more than Rooney is doing
    You can't really argue with that at the minute. When Rooneys firing though he gets the nod before Crouch everytime but I agree at the minute Crouch could be the better option.
    No top team has played with 3-5-2 for ten years, there's a reason for that.
    How would you change it then?? I believe we need more than the plain 4-4-2, because we do need that 2nd option in my opinion, something we didn't have under sven. Sven had a plan A and when that didn't work we had no ideas left. I don't think we should ever start the game in a 3-5-2 (unless its a friendly to give lads practice) but we need another formation/option to change to when things are quite going our way and we need to look to push on. 4-5-1 is a possibilty aswell but this could be seen as more of a defensive option than attacking, also don't think the Roon can play a lone stricker but could be pushed out wide like he is for the Scum sometimes.
    Kermit wrote:
    Parker was the best of the three, admittedly not tough, but there you go.

Carrick is mediocre at best, he's vastly overrated and vastly overhyped. He couldn't even cut it in the first division with West Ham. How novel to see Addict wowing over the Man Utd players (if anyone merits dropping on current form its Rooney, not Crouch...at least Crouch sticks the ball in the net against the crap teams, which is more than Rooney is doing) as if they're world beaters, and anyone who doesn't join in the daisychain is "clueless" about football. His passing ability is overhyped (he can't pass it half as well as Jenas, for instance) and his tackling ability is non-existant. Useful for a central midfielder. I honestly reckon Fergie paid £15m too much for him (he sure isn't one and a half times better than Ronaldo, and he isn't four times better than Parker).

Carrick was easily Tottenham's best player last season. Their team has gone to the dogs without him. IMO he was one of the best midfielders in the league last year and I admired his ability long before he signed for us. Stats would suggest he was the best passer in the league, ahead of Alonso, never mind Jermaine Jenas. Funny you should bring up Jenas - he epitomises the term 'overrated'.

We'll see how over-rated and over-priced Carrick is when he finds his feet at United. He's been getting better every game, and he will prove people like you wrong. It's futile comparing his price tag to people like Ronaldo and Parker. Ronaldo was a one-off bargain (though similarly many said £12m was too much) and parker got out of Chelsea on the cheap to piss poor Newcastle, much like Duff. Had either gone to a rival, you would have seen a much inflated price, fact.

Drop Rooney? Nice one.
    Addict wrote:
    Drop Rooney? Nice one.
    It'd be a tough decision to make but you have to admit he's done nothing these last two games and is a shade of what we come to expect from him. On current England form then Crouch is the man LOL can't believe am saying that over Rooney but its right.
    But like I n others have said we still need that Owen type player up front which would make Roons game better also.
    It'd be a tough decision to make but you have to admit he's done nothing these last two games and is a shade of what we come to expect from him. On current England form then Crouch is the man LOL can't believe am saying that over Rooney but its right.
    But like I n others have said we still need that Owen type player up front which would make Roons game better also.

Can't you see the problem with Rooney is what you've been banging on about?

He needs an out and out striker to play with him, not Crouch.

Rooney drops deep and gives so much more to a team than goals, alot more than Crouch does anyway.

It's not like Crouch has done any more than Rooney in two games to justify a place ahead of him. He's been equally as bad, therefore you drop Crouch and use Rooney with a better partner.

Rooney hasn't even been playing that bad for United, people just overhype because he's not scoring and Ronaldo has been stealing the limelight. He's not at his all-conquering best, but that's no reason to drop him. I'd build the team around him, and that wouldn't include Crouch. I'd use him as an impact plan B sub.
    Ye your right. Something missing from Rooney though other than a different partner. His touch, vision, decisions all seemed very lax n slow n wrong. It'll come good again for him and then theirs no question who starts between him and Crouch.
    When both are on top form Rooney is better than Crouch, I'd agree with you.

The point is that Crouch is on better form than Rooney, and Rooney does not justify his selection at the moment. Crouch has faced the same problems- he needs someone to run off him- but Crouch has been at the heart of England's few attacking chances. The chance that Crouch gave to Rooney with his flick-on is a good example.

Johnson needs a good go at the team, its a shame he got injured because I would select him ahead of half-baked strikers like Defoe any day of the week.

I know the World Cup isn't a fair example for either player, but even before then I don't think Rooney and Owen was a partnership that was going to work.
    Kermit wrote:
    I know the World Cup isn't a fair example for either player, but even before then I don't think Rooney and Owen was a partnership that was going to work.
    I think it could become a great partnership personally but we'll have to wait and see.