Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Veils and Limbo

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So long as they're not in a profession where facial expression is important (such as teaching for instance) I don't see what the problem is.

Does anyone think a veiled woman working behind the counter at Boots is going to be less able to serve your needs than a woman without a veil?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    So long as they're not in a profession where facial expression is important (such as teaching for instance) I don't see what the problem is.

Does anyone think a veiled woman working behind the counter at Boots is going to be less able to serve your needs than a woman without a veil?
    yes actually

i like service with a smile
  • Options
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    yes actually

i like service with a smile
    I like smile too but I prefer a sincere one.

And you can tell a lot more by the tone of voice than by a smile.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    The absence of a veil is no guarantee of service with a smile though, is it? :p
    at least u know if ur gettin one or not

i just prefer to be served by someone i can see, personal preference i guess
  • Options
  • Options
    I was just wondering for anyone supporting the woman, saying she shouldn't get sacked.

Would you support the 'right' to wear the veil if it was a middle-aged, white, English man wearing the veil?
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    So do I. I would prefer it if women didn't wear veils too, I would always rather be able to see people's faces than not. But that doesn't mean that women who choose to wear the veil shouldn't be allowed to do so, unless they are employed in a job where it is vital that people can see their facial expressions, which I don't think is true of retail type jobs, or indeed many jobs. Teaching is probably a different matter though, especially small children.

I agree with you on this to the extentif you do not need to see a persons face then they can wear a veil, such as call centre jobs or over the phone jobs, but any job where you talk to the person, or are with them, then i think you should be able to see their face, eyes, nose, mouth all included, etc.
  • Options
    I have to say that I don't need to see anyone's face, nose or mouth if I'm talking to them. What sort of facial expressions do you need to grasp to, say, buy a pack of aspirins from a chemist successfully? :confused:

I suppose all you guys who deem seeing someone's full face so important are against an invention called 'telephone' and refuse to conduct business, do shopping or take care of domestic matters over that infernal device...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I have to say that I don't need to see anyone's face, nose or mouth if I'm talking to them. What sort of facial expressions do you need to grasp to, say, buy a pack of aspirins from a chemist successfully? :confused:

True but how would you like it if the chemist was wearing a motorcycle helmet? Or a KKK mask? In Islamic cultures it's rude not to cover up, in our culture it's rude to cover your face in cloth.
  • Options
    What a bizarre comparison... :confused:

If someone at Boots was wearing a motorcycle helmet I'd find it rather bizarre. If they were wearing a KKK hood I'd find it offensive. I don't see how that has any relevance though. I don't care what people put on their heads so long as it doesn't impair communication (which the motorcycle helmet might as it muffles sounds) or is offensive (like the KKK hood would be).

It might be just me but a person behind a counter can have an entire toilet roll wrapped about their head for all I'd care.
  • Options
    It's not a good comparison but they were two examples I could think of where non-Muslim people entirely cover their face...

If Muslim women want to - or rather, feel obliged to cover their entire face they should be allowed. But, there is no way that it is acceptable in state schools or government buildings.

Someone who entirely covers their face is separating themselves from the rest of society, they're disadvantaging themselves and they quite clearly do not wish to integrate. It should not be encouraged.

And an employer should be perfectly entitled to not employ someone if they refuse to show their face.
  • Options
    ... government buildings.

WTF?
  • Options
    WTF?

Can't you read or something? The burqa should be banned in state schools and all government buildings. The burqa is backward, it frequently has exploitive connotations and through it promoting separation and being a barrier to integration the wearing of it should be discouraged.

People don't dress like this in a modern society.

burqa.jpg

They can't be banned completely from dressing like that - but if they want to be a part of society and enter government buildings/state schools they should not be allowed to self-segregate.

I do not think the headscarf is a significant barrier to integration, I do not think people wearing a headscarf should be banned from government buildings. Although, religious paraphernalia has no place in state schools so the headscarf along with turbans, skullcaps and visible crucifixes should be banned in state schools.

This has to be one of the few things on which France is absolutely right on. It's depressing to see Britain is going in completely the wrong direction, the desperation of our government to let religion further encroach into the state education system is dangerous and backward.
  • Options
    totally agree with disillusioned

in the british culture, it is regarded as rude to have your face covered

and seems how these people are in britain, surely they should adhere to OUR culture?

i wouldnt go to a turkish mosque in a bikini
  • Options
    I don't see why they should *have* to show their faces, just like a lot of cultures wouldn't *force* you to put more clothes on than your bikini, or strappy top and shorts; however I think that if people make that choice they should be very aware that it is not the done thing in this countries culture and not expect allowances to be made for them.

Bikers have to remove their helmets in lots of places, likewise your not allowed in some shopping centres with your hood up, I don't see why veils should be any different.
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    i wouldnt go to a turkish mosque in a bikini
    I wouldn't go to an English nightclub in a tracksuit either. A mosque is a private building with a dress code, it's nothing to do with society as a whole. I bet you wouldn't have a problem wearing your normal clothes when walking around the streets in Turkey, or lounging on the beach? I suspect the only reason you would cover yourself up in a muslim country is because they aren't as tolerant of other cultures are we are (or should be). That's exactly why British people are told to cover themselves in places like Saudi Arabia and Egypt, not to respect local customs. Because if that was the case, they'd be told to cover themselves in Turkey too, which also has a Muslim majority. Is the answer really to say "some muslim countries are intolerant, so we should be too?" This is aside from the fact that these British-born muslims are as much a part of British culture as any non-muslim.

Interestingly, has anyone thought why many muslim women have chosen to wear a full veil? Do you think it could have anything to do with them feeling the need to express and take pride their identity, what with it being constantly under attack?
  • Options
    Do you think it could have anything to do with them feeling the need to express and take pride their identity, what with it being constantly under attack?

I really hope they don't do it to express and take pride in their identity, wearing a full face veil does nothing to express or identify themselves as anything other than a body that submits to being hidden and segregated with no opportunity to have it's own public identity.

Cultures have their roots, and this country is fast losing it's own culture as a result of trying to be so damn politically correct.
  • Options
    I really hope they don't do it to express and take pride in their identity, wearing a full face veil does nothing to express or identify themselves as anything other than a body that submits to being hidden and segregated with no opportunity to have it's own public identity.
    In the same way that young people will be more likely to wear a cap and hoody if you start to take issue with it? People who feel the group they put themselves in is being attacked or discriminated against, will always make an effort to identify themselves as part of that discriminated group as a matter of principle. You can see that among black people in America, for example.
    Cultures have their roots, and this country is fast losing it's own culture as a result of trying to be so damn politically correct.
    And that argument has been used at every major cultural shift in Britain, that people think has been caused by immigration. Interestingly, the same people don't seem to have a problem with the fact that the main cultural influence on this country has been caused by an appetite to consume American products, and that is all the doing of the British public, not anyone coming from overseas. Culture changes all the time. I don't get people who think they can somehow artificially change it, or believe they have a right to. It's such a non-argument in my opinion.
  • Options
    I wouldn't go to an English nightclub in a tracksuit either.
    a lot of people do where i live haha

i admit the bikini thing was a bad example

but even so, i respect their culture and it`s requests and cover up more than i would at home
  • Options
    I take equal issue with anyone that hides their own identity to become one of a mass, so yes I do apply it to people that hide underneath hoods, although a hoodie even with the hood up gives a person a much greater identity than a full veil.

It's worth remembering that the North American infulence on our culture isn't quite so drastic as it comes from the same roots as ours (if you don't understand that, try looking up the Mayflower).

Culture does change all the time, but full face veils are not part of this countries, and won't be unless this whole country becomes muslim which seems somewhat unlikely. I don't want to stop them, what they choose to wear is their choice, but equally it is not unreasonable to expect someone that wants to participate in a public life to be prepared to show themselves when required.
  • Options
    Well culture is just a reflection of the people who live in your country. If people in your country choose to wear a veil, then it is a part of your culture, there's nothing you can do about that, short of forcing them to change. Of course they may be excluded from things because of certain peoples attitudes, and it is their choice to wear the veil knowing this. I just happen to think that it is the problem of the one's doing the excluding, not the muslims who are subjected to it. And I think more effort should be put into changing the attitudes of these people rather than the people who are excluded from society because of the way they dress.

The fact that they are excluded because of peoples attitudes mean that the majority of muslims would over time change their culture to become more accepted as we have seen since the 60's. Anyone who knows any British muslims will tell you that the majority are pretty Western in their culture. But trying to force people to change or attacking them because of their culture just has the opposite effect.
  • Options
    Can't you read or something?

I most certainly can. I can also view a story without a hysterical over-reaction. Can you?
    The burqa should be banned in state schools and all government buildings.

I can also look at a story without calling for huge restrictions in personal freedoms. Whilst I agree that someone's personal beliefs should get in the wayof their ability to perform their job, you are overracting. Escpeially when you would not outlaw anyone from expressing their political belief in those buildings.
    they should not be allowed to self-segregate.

Which actually goes completely against the culture which yo ubelieve they should intergrate into. That culture holds the right of personal freedom to be a cornerstone.
    This has to be one of the few things on which France is absolutely right on.

.. and do you think that it works over there?
  • Options
    They probably only separate themselves from the rest of 'society' because ignorant people make them feel that way. Wearing the full veil is just as normal to them as the next person not wearing any veil/cap/sunglasses etc when they go out.
    People need to travel and be educated and maybe then they won't feel so scared of someone different to their superior self.
  • Options
    I'm yet to be explained successfully what this 'British culture' I hear so much about actually comprises or why it is in 'danger' from a few people daring to be slightly different.
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    and seems how these people are in britain, surely they should adhere to OUR culture?

What is "our" culture? Is there only one uniform culture in the UK?
  • Options
    well, if a woman with English parents was born in a predominantly Islamic country, such as Saudi Arabia and she wanted to dress like any English woman would but in the country of her birth, would she be able to? The answer in the cases of the more traditional Islamic countries is no, and in the case of moderate Islamic countries is yes. The point being that although some countries would allow the form of expression of dress and others wouldnt, you would rarely find a nation of the type where Western Christians would emigrate, let alone be able to have churches to worship freely as middle eastern imigrants do when they move to Britain or the West. What i am saying is, that OUR culture is about freedoms, but not always about change. Although our culture in Britain has changed on many occasions and evolved, sometimes we simply do not want to have to change to accomodate other cultures in just the same way other cultures do not want to change to suit us.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What is "our" culture? Is there only one uniform culture in the UK?

Although culture is fluid, British culture is a by-product of European culture which adheres to certain ideals (human rights, personal freedom and liberty) and also personal beliefs (mainly Christain.) You can compare this starkly with Middle Eastern countries which on the whole, don't model themselves on the European structure.

Now I know I got stick for saying this before because I didn't say "it's my opinion" (oh and who the fuck says that in politics anyway) but the majority of these cases is a rebellion against Western culture. I'm sure most women do not feel comfortable wearing these things whether it's a custom or not. They're openly separating themselves from their British identity, so it's not a case of "I'm British and a Muslim" anymore, it's just a case of "I'm a Muslim now."
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    the majority of these cases is a rebellion against Western culture. I'm sure most women do not feel comfortable wearing these things whether it's a custom or not. They're openly separating themselves from their British identity, so it's not a case of "I'm British and a Muslim" anymore, it's just a case of "I'm a Muslim now."

and you know this because you know every single Muslim woman who wears the veil? How on earth would you know the real reason that they wear the veil? Yes, I'm sure that women who wouldn't have really been arsed with the veil in the first place would now just put one on to make a statement :yeees: Why are they separating themselves from their British identity? You don't have to choose between following your race OR your religion, you can have both! What does a person have to wear/say/do to make sure that they're not separating themselves from their British identity?Would it be better if everyone in Britain wore blue jeans, trainers and a black t-shirt? Because then noone would be separating themselves from society and then we'll have the perfect British society where noone would be different from anyone.
  • Options
    Bullseye wrote:
    Although our culture in Britain has changed on many occasions and evolved, sometimes we simply do not want to have to change to accomodate other cultures in just the same way other cultures do not want to change to suit us.
    And we haven't changed to accomodate other cultures that infringe on people's personal freedoms, such as forced marriages or multiple wives for example (though whether multiple wives infringes on personal freedoms is another discussion). Last time I looked, wearing a veil doesn't infringe on anyone's freedom.