Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Veils and Limbo

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And lets face it, plenty of women who cover their entire face in cloth don't make the choice - they're simply adhering to the expectations of their husband and family.

on what do you base this?

i can understand why it might be a problem for some people, but surely thats their problem to sort out not the person wearing the veil.

also, the increased exposure about terrorism and islamophobia and phychotci muslims seems to be crating stronger opposition on both sides and i really think jack straws comments dont help justl ike i dont think the muslims reactions on the pope's speech was.
  • Options
    hazell wrote:
    on what do you base this?

What Disillusioned said is actually true.
    i can understand why it might be a problem for some people, but surely thats their problem to sort out not the person wearing the veil.

How can the other person sort it out?:confused: They can't do anything about the other person wearing a veil...
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    What Disillusioned said is actually true.
    Oh ok then, if you say so :rolleyes:
    How can the other person sort it out?:confused: They can't do anything about the other person wearing a veil...
    Sort out what is their problem in their own head, and not expect someone else to undress just because they prefer it.
  • Options
    SCC - what on earth are you on about?
  • Options
    Its a complex issue. Some women are pressurised into wearing a veil. Others choose to wear it.

meh

I do find it rather ironic however that people who find it abhorrent that women are pressured into wearing something want to rectify it by...pressuring women into not wearing something.
  • Options
    How is that, in any way, close to being the same.

We are talking about someone who feels more comfortable being able to see another persons face when speaking with them.

They can deny him and he would continue to speak with them.

I fail to see how anyone lifting their skirt a little would help in a conversation, but why shouldn't I be "allowed" to even ask?

im happy discussing important things over the internet, it doesnt lower the standard, nor does phonecalls.....
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    SCC - what on earth are you on about?
    which bit did you not understand dear?
  • Options
    im happy discussing important things over the internet, it doesnt lower the standard, nor does phonecalls.....
    and im sure people with visual impairments manage to have conversations with people too.
  • Options
    This:
    Sort out what is their problem in their own head, and not expect someone else to undress just because they prefer it.
  • Options
    What I mean, is that someone can have all sorts of problems with other peoples appearances. The thing is, to work out WHY they have issues with certain things, and perhaps learn to deal with their own issues, rather than expecting another person to change to suit them.
  • Options
    exactly, the problem lies with the person who feels the need to change how other people choos to portray themselves.
  • Options

Why do you think people still fly half way across the world to have a meeting? Why don't they just pick up the phone? - Of course they do a lot of the time but some people still fly all over to meetings and whatever.

Depending on who it is lol, it's preferable to actually meet somebody rather than talk on the phone...And meeting someone who has entirely covered their face is not aiding communication.
  • Options
    My point was is that wearing the veil is intentionally and deliberately divisive- it is a way of separating women from men, and Islamic people from non-Muslims. The whole point of the veil is division. Some people may want that symbol to show that they are different, and that is their choice.

What therefore sticks in my claw is how these very same people then whinge constantly about they are "excluded" from things- mostly this means people don't roll over and pander to their every whim, forcing everyone to wear the jilbab.
  • Options

Except how many time have you misunderstood an e-mail because the intonation wasn't there, how many times have you been lied to over the phone because you cannot see the body language.

When you are face to face with someone you get it all. The vast majority of communication is not in the words we use but in the tone and in the "non-verbal" communication methods.

It's why people are often uncomfortable with hoodies and sunglasses.

Thing is, and I come back to this point, no-one has yet answered why it is wrong for Jack Straw to even ask, nor have they explained why the women's choice should automatically outweigh Jack's.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    What therefore sticks in my claw is how these very same people then whinge constantly about they are "excluded" from things- mostly this means people don't roll over and pander to their every whim, forcing everyone to wear the jilbab.

Is it the very same people?
  • Options
    Orthodox jews have pretty extreme modest dress too, not unlike most muslims, as do some very orthodox christians.
    I dont hear many people screaming about how awful that is.
    Its totally just another example of people jumping on the anti-muslim bandwagon
  • Options
    Orthodox jews have pretty extreme modest dress too, not unlike most muslims, as do some very orthodox christians.
    Its totally just another example of people jumping on the anti-muslim bandwagon

But I doubt that there are many orthodox jews or Christians living in Blackburn, whereas there are rather a lot of Muslims....

Why the need for comparison with other examples, it does nothing for this debate and accusing everyone of being 'anti-Muslim' just dodges the debate......
  • Options

I've never seen an Orthodox Jew or Christian cover their entire face.
  • Options
    no they dont, but they do cover pretty much the rest of everything, and it boils down to why shouldnt people wear their religious attire. If youre going to ban one religion from doing it, then ban all of them. Like France maybe?
    And there are lots of orthodox jews in Britain.
    Im not sidelining the issue by calling it anti-muslim because it IS. Every bloody story in the papers is "oooooh muslims are doing this now" and "blimmin muslims, theyve done THIS"
    Its like a fucking recruiting ground for the BNP at the moment with the media trying to create a climate for more wars against those terrible muslim people. I cant believe so many people are falling for it.
  • Options
    It isn't religious attire, its cultural attire.

Muslims from Africa and the far east don't tend to cover their entire face.
  • Options
    i think that only being able to see someones eyes gives me quite an uncomfortable feeling. its like someone wearing a balaclava. and although they're not wearing the outifit because they want to rob a bank it still gives me that feeling. body language and facial expressions are really important and when you take that away it makes things more difficult. it acts sa a barrier to communication. i think i would feel differently if i had actually spoken to a woman who is wearing the full veil but i've never had any kind of contact with one. so instead theres just a feeling of alienation.
  • Options
    but its still their religious attire. Why should more orthodix forms of certain religions be made to dress in a way they find disrespectful to their God and or religion, just because a few people prefer to be able to see their face.
    I understand that people prefer face to face contact, but it ISNT essential. Arguing that anyones got "the right" to ask anybody anything they please, is stupid. Of course you can say what you like, but it doesnt mean its ok, and I find it very doubtful that women are just fine to take their veils off in front of Jack straw as he claims.
  • Options
    So you think he is lying then?
  • Options
    It's got nothing to do with orthodoxy, it is a cultural interpretation that originates in the Arab states. Other Muslims from other countries don't wear the full veil, so to claim religion is wrong. It is a cultural choice.

I don't care what they wear in public, but I think he is entitled to ask the people to show their face in private if they wish to speak to him. I think I would baulk at speaking in private to someone dressed like that, its rude and its threatening.

Apropos of nothing, it seems a terrorist has taken to wearing the full jilbab to avoid detection.
  • Options
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    So you think he is lying then?
    yes.
  • Options
    People can dress how they wish, but if they dress in such a way as to exclude themselves from society, then they can't turn around and moan that they're not included.

That's slightly more the problem here- these people want us to pander to their cultural whim, without compromising to our culture at all. The jilbab is a cultural dress, and whilst it is a culture based on religion it is not a religious dress. I wouldn't go to their country and dress against their social norms; I don't see why it is our problem when they do not extend the same courtesy.
  • Options
  • Options
    Kermit, youre sounding more like Lukesh every day.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure the rise in veil use has fuck all to do with religious and cultural customs. It's a reactionary thing by Muslim women because of the polarisation of the two communties, a big two fingers up to the rest of us sort of thing.

I don't think anyone demands they remove them but they have a right to say what they think and I personally think it's hideous and wouldn't feel comfortable at all talking to someone wearing it. But then again I come from Norn Iron and I'm just a dumb racist.