Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Experience of Prozac

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anybody have any experience of Prozac? I really think I should take it (for obvious reasons) but will not go to a doctor! Its available to purchase online so getting hold of it shouldn’t be a problem.

I have heard lots of scare stories about the drug, but it can’t all be bad if it helps so many people.

I would really appreciate people’s advice and opinions about it; It would be really good to hear from someone who has been on it. :)

I have been trying to deal with things without the use of anti-depressants for a couple of years now, but I really have just given up.

Prozac; Bad idea or not??

Cheers guys :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    Well, if you prefer the advice of some internetforum-members over this of a doctor, and even refuse to see one for your problem, be my guest.

I don't have first hand experience with that drug, but I heard stories about the side-effects. If you have a fucking issue and think you need to take a drug for it, seek a health professional to give you pros and cons.
  • Options
    dont be so ridiculous.

And also if 10mins of embarrassment matters to you so much more than getting the correct help, then you obviously dont need it anyway
  • Options
    Why do you refuse to go to the doctor?
    Yes i have been on it in the past, but i have also been on another one. It's not up to you to decide what antidepressants suit you..
  • Options
    see a doctor. be open to the advice they can give you. you need to understand why you feel embarassed talking about your problem. this is the root of what causes your anxiety. you need to understand what it is that makes you feel this way. no matter how confident you are in helping yourself and not seek outside help, you must remember and understand, YOU CANNOT SEE THE SHIT ON YOUR BACK, you need to rely on other people to show you. be open. it is always the case that the things about yourself you are most uncomfortable about is where the problem is, because its usual to avoid things that makes you uncomfortable, hence you dont confront it, hence you dont overcome it.

YOU CANNOT SEE THE SHIT ON YOUR BACK
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    Well, if you prefer the advice of some internetforum-members over this of a doctor, and even refuse to see one for your problem, be my guest.

Exactly. Why do you need prozac speciffically ? There are lots of anti-d's on the market. It took me a long while to find the right one for me, mainly because i was misdiagnosed by the psychiatric hospital for years. They said i was retro-actively/clinically depressed, when in fact i was bi-polar (manic). I tried prozac, and under the care of my GP, it was found not to be good for me.

The best thing for you to do is go to a doctor, period. Or of course you could buy it on line at an extortionate price (i bet a 3 month scrip's worth is a hell of a lot cheaper), take it, succumb to all sorts of nasty side effects (some of which could be life threatening) whilst NOT being under the guidance/monitoring of a fully trained professional and end up doing something incredibly stupid because you can't go and see a doctor.

Choice is yours.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    It is completely irresponsible to self prescribe yourself. Especially drugs like prozac. You cannot just pop the pills and expect to be happy again next week. And what happens if you take too many? They are dangerous and if you have any complications you won't have any comeback.

I was on prozac for a while. Under the doctor's eye. They worked for me. But I know of people that they made worse. They helped push them further over the edge. Surely if you have heard so many bad stories yourself you will know that this is A Very Bad Idea.

Swallow your pride. Visit your doc. Be a bit responsible. Instead of an idiot who is going to buy serious prescribed drugs over the internet.
  • Options
    ^^^and all what Littlemissy just said :)
  • Options
    ouch!

thanks guys, will take your advice.

most apreciated
  • Options
    Cool :) I hope you get to see someone soon, and start getting things on the right track to getting better. Be well.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    AD's are bag of shite in my opinion anyway.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    AD's are bag of shite in my opinion anyway.

In your opinion.

But in my experience they work quite well, thank you.
  • Options
    i've taken fluoextine they're all uselss, with the advent of DLA, happiness is a legal right and you can claim it along with all the other loosers' with 'mental health problems.'
  • Options
    i've taken fluoextine they're all uselss, with the advent of DLA, happiness is a legal right and you can claim it along with all the other loosers' with 'mental health problems.'

Rubbish.

ADs are not useless. They are only useless if you don't use them properly and if you use them and hope for a miracle cure.

If you take them and try and help yourself at the same then they can work well. However, take them and expect to be cured next week and you are in cuckoo land.
  • Options
    all the other loosers' with 'mental health problems.'

Like yourself you mean ?

Who the fuck are you to call people with mental health problems 'losers' ?

There's a hell of a lot of people on here with said problems and i hope they all read it and see what an intolerant bag of shit you are.
  • Options

:eek: Are you having a laugh?
    Tablets alone don't really help no, they need to be taken along with other help.
    As for calling people loosers, you have overstepped the mark there!
  • Options
    the doctors don't want to elaborate on what 'illness' i have because they only exists in (modern) textbooks.

whatever happened to human repression. these people should not be heard. fuckwits.
  • Options
    All i can say to this is, you need help.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    :eek: Are you having a laugh?
    Tablets alone don't really help no, they need to be taken along with other help.
    As for calling people loosers, you have overstepped the mark there!

some due respect, but i think unemployed 40+years, smokers, no education, no ambition, ALL virgins, measures grandy against my standards as a looser.

however i do accept some need for psychological input as far as it realtes to REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE and ways in which somebody has been treated.

get me out of here it makes me negative.
  • Options
    I am finding it hard to understand what you are trying to say now, like read between the lines.
  • Options
    ALL virgins, measures grandy against my standards as a looser.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    this is only my opinon but as much as I have tried to work out what type of person will be a 'depressive' - I can't

I have read about millionaires who are depressed. This is what convinced me money doesnt make a person happy. Depression is far more complex than I understand, but i do understand it can happen to anyone young/old educated/ uneducated virgin/non virgin smoker/non smoker.

This is why I hate it when people say what has 'that person' got to be depressed about. You can have the world at your feet and millions in the bank but if your unhappy your unhappy! Simple as that.

just my thoughts :thumb:
  • Options
    Lost Soul wrote:
    this is only my opinon but as much as I have tried to work out what type of person will be a 'depressive' - I can't

I have read about millionaires who are depressed. This is what convinced me money doesnt make a person happy. Depression is far more complex than I understand, but i do understand it can happen to anyone young/old educated/ uneducated virgin/non virgin smoker/non smoker.

This is why I hate it when people say what has 'that person' got to be depressed about. You can have the world at your feet and millions in the bank but if your unhappy your unhappy! Simple as that.

just my thoughts :thumb:

There is no "set" person that will suffer from depression. Depression affects many people from all sorts of different walks of life. There is no "you're such and such a person, you'll suffer from depression".

This is what makes it hard to accept for some people.
  • Options
    yeah, one aspect of depression could be described in easy words that things don't make you happy anymore.

I mean, I'd love to have a house with huge garden, wifey and kids now...
    the millionaire might be bored with all that.

On the other hand, I am happy when I go to the grocery store and buy cookies.... and beer. beer makes happy too... sometimes...

or.. whatever..
    ignore me
  • Options
    AD's work on the assumption (because that's what it is) that depression is a result of a 'chemical inbalance' in you brain.

Some AD's have been shown to be marginally better than placebo's, others no better at all.

Too many people take AD's thinking their problems can be cured by a little pill. I don't believe that.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Too many people take AD's thinking their problems can be cured by a little pill. I don't believe that.

I don't believe that either.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

I don't believe this either. This is my point. ADs work extremely well if you take them and do other things to help yourself, like counselling for example.

ADs aren't this miracle cure to depression. But they do help when you are ill.
  • Options
    some due respect, but i think unemployed 40+years, smokers, no education, no ambition, ALL virgins, measures grandy against my standards as a looser.
    Thank you, I wasn't aware that instead of the 18 year old I thought I was who wants to go to uni and has not been a virgin for two and a half years, I am actually a 40 year old unambitious, uneducated virgin.

AD's aren't a pile of shite, either. Not unless you're not willing to help yourself as well. They didn't work for me (all 3 times I've been put on them), they don't work for other people, but that doesn't mean they don't work for everyone.

Meh.
  • Options
    ADs work extremely well

Well the evidence I've seen is that they don't.
    I'm willing to be proven otherwise but the argument 'AD's worked for me' isn't good enough for me.
    All the evidence I've seen just shows that AD's are sometimes only marginally better than placebos and othertimes no better at all.

There's no real evidence that depression is a biochemical disease, which is the premise that these drugs work on. Rather than believe the adverts for these drugs, look into the actual science of of it.

http://www.seethru.co.uk/tgdg/tgdg7.mp3
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Peoples definitions of 'they worked for me' vary.

I wouldnt say they made me feel happier, because thats not what they do. But they help to balance things out, they even the varying degrees of moods. To be honest I feel i have to sacrifice some of the higher moods, but then the lower moods arent the absolute hell on earth that they could be. That bit of mood stability can help you to concentrate on working through whats made you feel so bad in the first place and change the things that need to be changed.
    Thats the choice you make, and if life really is so unbearable, then going to the doctors, having to take a pill, having to make some effort is nothing compared to the shit depression is.
  • Options
    Well nothing I have seen yet convinces me that AD's work to any real degree.
    I don't believe in the theory (because that's what it is) that depression is caused by a chemical inbalance in you brain.

It makes me laugh how many people automatically say that their depression is caused by a chemical inbalance. I mean How do they know this stuff? Somebody actually measured the levels of chemicals in their brain?
    Weekender Offender