Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Concerns about course

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i cant see them throwing you off a course for not letting someone cut your hair.

Its your hair, and if you dont want something done to it, then dont.

If i was in your position, i certainly wouldnt let a student loose on my hair, fully qualified hairdressers are bad enough.

If you can get an alternative model to take your place, i dont see there being a problem, it shows that your willing to meet them half way, and that way nobody is going without a model.
  • Options
    :) Thankyou. It means a lot. People don't realise how important some things are to some people.

I understand it's important to you, and to be honest, I didn't take beauty AND hairdressing because I didn't want my own hair messed with. But I didn't take the course so it was never an issue.

I just think that you will run into a wall. I know full well my college wont allow alternative models for practising, imagine if they were allergic to the dyes etc you were using. They wouldn't be covered by insurance. Only paying clients and students will be I would imagine.

I just think you'll also hit a wall that everyone else who's a bit disgruntled at having their hair done but is willing for the sake of their course will wonder why the rules can be bent for you, and probably complain. It's a slippery slope, and I just think it's making a fuss out of nothing when maybe you'll just be able to have the ends trimmed and a wash out colour put in if you explain your feelings to them. Hair is a personal thing, a hairdressing department will respect that much, and may make an allowance in that way for you, if you show willing.

To battle them from the start isn't the best way to go tbh!

ETA:
    and as a mature student I hope they'll appreciate me voicing my concerns and discussing the alternatives.

I'm sure they'd do that whether you're 20 or 16 tbh, after all college is alot more mature than school. Also, I doubt they'll give you an ultimatum as such, but most colleges I know when people have complained have just said "well its your call."
  • Options
    i really think youd regret it though if you gave up on the course for the sake of a haircut, especially later down the line.
  • Options
    I'm not going to give up this course. I've put too much time and effort in to getting onto this course, to give it up after the first hirdle. :thumb:
  • Options
    why don't you get more information about the cut . it may just be a 1cm trim for all you know.
  • Options
    Is it really that important? its only hair ffs, it'll grow back you know...
  • Options
    Yes, it IS that important, and it's not 'just hair' to me. Think what you will, I don't care.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    why don't you get more information about the cut . it may just be a 1cm trim for all you know.

:yes:
  • Options
    She already said it was important to her, icey; or didn't you read the thread properly? Different people attach different values to things like hair - especially if they've invested time and energy in maintaining and caring for it as she obviously has.

Of course it's the nature of hair to grow back, that's pretty irrelevant to the issue of mandatory hair cutting on a course that didn't made that obligation clear from the outset.

Did you speak to your tutor yet then, Ilora?
  • Options
    If that was aimed at me, then I did read the thread. I really don't see what the problem is though - it's not like her hair won't grow back, is it?
  • Options
    And I thought you should get the ends trimmed to keep hair in good condition anyway.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    If that was aimed at me, then I did read the thread. I really don't see what the problem is though - it's not like her hair won't grow back, is it?

I think most people feel the same as you Sofie.

I do understand her point of view BUT I think she's being unreasonable for her to expect to have alternative rules to everyone else.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Did you speak to your tutor yet then, Ilora?
    Nope, I phoned her 3 times this week and she wasn't available. I'll have to speak to her on monday in person.

And to nicx1811... I have never expected to be treated any differently to the other students in my group. All the girls in my group had something to say about having their hair cut, so it's not just me. If I can get all the girls in the group to refuse consent, then I will - perhaps the college would be more understanding/helpful then. But if not, then I shall go it alone!
  • Options

And to nicx1811... I have never expected to be treated any differently to the other students in my group. All the girls in my group had something to say about having their hair cut, so it's not just me. If I can get all the girls in the group to refuse consent, then I will - perhaps the college would be more understanding/helpful then. But if not, then I shall go it alone!

That's perfectly fine, I'm not slagging you off. I think you'll just find yourself in a sticky situation if you are the only one who protests, and I was merely pointing out that even though you did have a external model etc, I doubt they'll be able to change the rules for you, unless your course doesn't need to be insured (tbh, if it doesn't I'd be worried anyway, esp. since you're doing hairdressing tied into it)
  • Options
    Not sure how insurance works on a college course so I'll have to cross the 'external model' bridge when I come to it methinks.
  • Options
    Not sure how insurance works on a college course so I'll have to cross the 'external model' bridge when I come to it methinks.

I THINK... the college will have insured you to practise on one another, i.e your make up work, and your hair cutting and dying, however, if you do need external models for your course, they will have to be a paying client and have signed a disclaimer, and be worked on in a preset lesson for those type of clients. That's the jist of how it works for both hair and beauty at our college anyway.

If you don't need external models at all for your course then I really am not sure if you'll be insured for them.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Is it really that important? its only hair ffs, it'll grow back you know...

Oh come on - even I can see that this isn't a particularly fair thing to do. Whilst hair doesn't bother me in the slightest(I shave it all off on a whim), it's easy to understand that people have a right to do with it as they wish. It is their property - as far as I can see, any changes or practice on a person should be reversible. If it isn't, then it shouldn't be mandatory unless it is clearly defined as a requirement of the course prior to signing up.

Personally, I couldn't care less if they messed with my hair. But if they were going to force me into letting them solder and piss around with my stereo, I'd rip their heads off. It isn't difficult to work out that this persons hair is as important to them as one of your more important things :).
  • Options
    pick a religion that doesn't allow hair cutting- join it...
  • Options
    i think its totally unreasonable that they are askin that of u!

cut AND colour? no way

is there no one further up in the college u could go to about this?x
  • Options
    I don't think it's so unreasonable if you are asking to be trained to do it to other people. You need to have an understanding of all the treatments and skills you learn.
  • Options
    how many cosmetic surgeons do you see walking around with breast implants? and yet they do these things to other people. YOu don't need to have your hair cut to understand how to cut hair, at all- in fact, it's hardly relevant at all.
  • Options
    You want to train for 7 years to do it? Fine, I might let you off then.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    how many cosmetic surgeons do you see walking around with breast implants? and yet they do these things to other people. YOu don't need to have your hair cut to understand how to cut hair, at all- in fact, it's hardly relevant at all.

That's totally different though. With cosmetic surgery it's a major change; having a few inches cut off hair isn't...
  • Options
    I think it's a ridiculous thing to suggest that in order to understand or empathise you need to consent to your own hair being fair game. You can understand the motions and aesthetics of a haircut without having it done to yourself - that's where the training you're given, your eyes and [hopefully] your sense of style come in.

Should doctors and nurses have to undergo every procedure, inoculation and treatment they have to perform? Should firemen have to have their own home burnt down before they can have an understanding of the duty they're going to perform? Yes, they're "major changes" to a person's physical person or life, but the point still stands that you don't have to go through something personally in order to be able to do a damn good job of understanding and performing a service professionally.

Any news on the tutor front, Ilora? :)
  • Options
    I don't think it's so unreasonable
    it is totally unreasonable! it is HER hair, part of HER, why should she have to change it when she doesnt want to? Its against her wishes!

I have never heard of anythin like this in any of the colleges/unis i have been to, usually they advertise for models, or as you to find your own

hair to some people is very important to them, they dont see it as just some dead stuff that lives on their head, its part of who they are, and asking them to change it when they obviously dont want to IS unreasonable
  • Options
    I've still not managed to talk to my tutor about it. I don't think we'll be cutting for a few weeks, so I'll definitely bring it up when she mentions it next.
    I don't care, I'm not having my hair cut by another student, end of.

And, what do schools actually teach kids these days? We did a SPELLING TEST in KEY SKILLS today (yes, I'm 20 years old and still having to take spelling tests!!) and like, 3 out of 18 students could spell 'actually' and 'alcohol' and 'analysis'. Jesus christ, they know nothing. I'm so glad I went to school when I did. :yes:
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    they dont see it as just some dead stuff that lives on their head,

Hair isn't actually dead. :)

And Ilora, I sympathise. Key Skills are a joke. I did a test in ICT today, and some of the girls have been there for 2 years already now and don't know that this has been altered because it has been made bold. Just roll with the punches.:)
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Hair isn't actually dead. :)
    it is as it contains no living tissue :)

folicles are "alive" but hair isnt

otherwise it`d hurt when u have it cut

x
  • Options
    If you're going to be difficult, you need to do it now. Otherwise the tutor will throw it back at you that you've known about this for a while and you've done nothing. You're claiming to be a mature student, so be mature and solve it before it becomes a problem.

As for the spelling test, what were the entry requirements? I suspect they didn't include high english grades, and how else are they supposed to find out whether you can spell or not without testing you to find out?
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    it is as it contains no living tissue :)

folicles are "alive" but hair isnt

otherwise it`d hurt when u have it cut

x

Hair once past your scalp isn't alive, but it's not the lack of feeling that shows it, it's the lack of nerves in it that means it doesn't hurt.