Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Concerns about course

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The course requirements were for 4 GCSE's grade A-C including english and art. :chin:
    i had to do keyskills despite gettin an B in english and maths :(

but i had to do mine in communication and application of number
    It says on the student diary that key skills is 'for all 16-19 year olds studying at college' - I'm 20!!! It wasn't compulsary when I was meant to study it at A Level, thus choosing not to do it then. I'm so livid that I can't choose to not do it now. The same goes for the ridiculously basic ICT shit we have to do.

I'm getting increasingly worried about how basic this diploma is. I'm definitely going to talk to someone about the Key Skills and ICT issue. I'm generally appalled at how incapable this college seem to be. Who in their right mind would group 16 year olds and 20 something year olds together to study communication? At 16, you can't communicate. At 20, you can.
    It's ludicrous.
    You chose the course, you chose the college. Maybe you should have asked.
    You chose the course, you chose the college. Maybe you should have asked.
    why? thats the point of college handbooks and diaries, to say what is expected of you

she has already said that there was nothing stating that she would have to get her hair done OR do key skills, those things, if expected of her should be in the course handbook/guide
    How on earth could I possibly have known whether or not to ask about 'Key Skills'? I haven't studied for 3 years and even then Key Skills wasn't an issue because I didn't have to do it.

There are some questions you just never know to ask when applying for a course you've never been on, and in a subject you've never studied.

All I can say is that I was totally misinformed about the content of this bloody course!! Feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall here.:no:
    Littleali wrote:
    why? thats the point of college handbooks and diaries, to say what is expected of you

You think people who put them together have time to think about EVERYTHING before printing it?
    Sofie wrote:
    You think people who put them together have time to think about EVERYTHING before printing it?
    that is the general point, yes

the course hand book should detail EVERYTHING a course entails and EVERYTHING that is expected of the pupils

its not like they missed summat trivial out like having to bring a pencil to lesson, they have obviously left out 2 VERY important things
    Key Skills is compulsory now I think, at any age, depending on your GCSE results.

As far as I know, if you got no GCSE in an equilavent subject, or under an E grade, you study Level 1.

Between E - C, or if you've done Key Skills Level 1, you do level 2. Once you've completed level 2 you're done.

That's just an educated guess from what my college tell me though (and they're just as scatterbrained)
    But I have A Levels. I have 10 GCSE's grade C and above. Surely that demonstrates that I have enough Key Skills in order to achieve them? :chin: :impissed:
    Well try to persuade your college that, telling us won't help you much.
    But I have A Levels. I have 10 GCSE's grade C and above. Surely that demonstrates that I have enough Key Skills in order to achieve them? :chin: :impissed:

Depends what grade you have in what subject I am afraid.

I have two A grade ICT GCSE's, yet they still tried to get me to take Level 1 ICT Key skills last year (E - C Grade). They can be a bit slow on the uptake.
    Who in their right mind would group 16 year olds and 20 something year olds together to study communication? At 16, you can't communicate. At 20, you can. It's ludicrous.

That sounds as patronising as hell, Ilora. I remember having good debates in history lessons in year 12, having to give presentations etc. We were all certainly able to hold our own in arguments and deliver half-way decent presentations.

Those people on your course who did not do great at English GCSE may have a few more problems than you, but that's nothing to do with their age. You're 20 now, you've got good GCSEs and have done A-levels so have gained greater communication skills, but that wouldn't necessarily have been the case if after leaving school at 16 you'd gone straight into a factory job or whatever.

Some 16 year olds are good at commication, some aren't, many more factors are involved than simply age.

/random tangent

Although I do think your college should do a better job at tailoring the skills to their students' individual needs. Have you had a word with them about it yet?
    Meryn wrote:
    That sounds as patronising as hell, Ilora.
    yeh i thought that was a ridiculous thing to say too.
    I don't care if it sounds patronising, because it's true - I was shit at communicating when I was 16 - I was as shy as anything and unable to say what I was thinking. Now I'm an outspoken bolshy 20 year old that doesn't have a problem communicating anything :thumb:

I've really underestimated how difficult it would be to study alongside people 4 years younger. I really didn't think it'd be this hard. :no:
    I've really underestimated how difficult it would be to study alongside people 4 years younger. I really didn't think it'd be this hard. :no:

Welcome to life. Some of the people in my office are 6 years younger than me. some are 25 years older. I communicate with them all.

Being able to form diverse relationships with all kinds and ages of people is an life skill and a job skill, so if you feel you can't, maybe you need these lessons more than you think.
    kaffrin wrote:
    Welcome to life. Some of the people in my office are 6 years younger than me. some are 25 years older. I communicate with them all.

Being able to form diverse relationships with all kinds and ages of people is an life skill and a job skill, so if you feel you can't, maybe you need these lessons more than you think.
    very good point actually!

:thumb:
    kaffrin wrote:

Well said Kaff.

4 years is nothing Ilora - my sister is 4 years my junior and we communicate fine.

Stop thinking you're a mature student as well, you're no more special than any of the others on your course. Just try to get on with them and you'll find it much better than if you don't speak to any of them because you think that they can't communicate well.

Also about your hair: Speak to your course tutor about it (like you are already trying to do), because I think it is a bit off that they didn't tell you this beforehand. However, don't go saying "I'm a mature student I shouldn't have to do that" because that's a shitty attitude to take.
    Who in their right mind would group 16 year olds and 20 something year olds together to study communication? At 16, you can't communicate. At 20, you can.
    It's ludicrous.

It will all become clearer once you've done the course. Thing is, you might find yourself taking orders from someone four years your junior, or even 20years your elder. I'm sure you'd hate them to treat you like you couldn't comunicate becasue you were only 20 wouldn't you?
    I can see why the college would do this- its bonding for the students, and it should be some fun.

Your college won't force you to do it, but how do you think the other students will treat you when they find out that you're far too precious to let them near your hair? And that you're far too precious to have to lower yourself to key skills or ICT training?

That's life, getting things you don't need when you do things you do need. The first training session I got in my job was learning how to use Outlook, ffs, when I've been working in an office for years. That's life, and if you can't deal with it then you're in the wrong place.

The college won't force you to do anything, how can they, but you will be sent to Coventry for being to precious to involve yourself in the team. Your call flower.
    Al the girls I've spoken to (about half) have all expressed how unhappy they are about having their hair cut, so it's not just about my preciousness.

Also, I love the girls on my course, not all of them obviously but I've made loads of friends and they're as mad as myself. It's the teaching I have a problem with.

We have 'sets' in school for things like Maths and English, so you're not teaching people at different levels - they've failed to use that method at my college which is a complete nightmare for me.
    If it was the case that the mature students with the relevant qualifications aren't required to take key skills, to me, it would make so much more sense.
    As it says in the handbook 'all 16-19 year olds' - well they need to be more specific for the older students.
    Al the girls I've spoken to (about half) have all expressed how unhappy they are about having their hair cut, so it's not just about my preciousness.

Everyone has to do things they don't want to do to get on in life. It's just one of those things. I'll bet you most of those girls will get on with it when the time comes - and you'll be left standing moaning on your own.
    Also, I love the girls on my course, not all of them obviously but I've made loads of friends and they're as mad as myself. It's the teaching I have a problem with.

Tough shit. If you don't like the teaching, either shut up and put up, or leave. It's as easy as that.
    We have 'sets' in school for things like Maths and English, so you're not teaching people at different levels - they've failed to use that method at my college which is a complete nightmare for me.

You're not at school anymore. It might be a good thing for you to work with younger people. As kaffrin said, when you start work you have to work with people of all ages and abilities - even if you don't agree with it or think it's right, you have to get on with it.

Well you don't have to get in with it, if you don't want - you can leave. But then you're making a fool of yourself.
    If it was the case that the mature students with the relevant qualifications aren't required to take key skills, to me, it would make so much more sense.
    As it says in the handbook 'all 16-19 year olds' - well they need to be more specific for the older students.

I can't comment on your college, but I know there are hardly any people older than 19 who still go to college - most are at university or have a job. But seriously, just enquire about the Key Skills - if you have to do it, get your head down and do it. At least it'll be easy for you and you won't have to work at it too much - saving your effort for what you do want to do.
    Well if it says all 16-19 and you're oh so much more mature than that because you are 20 then go and pick a fight with them about it.

Alternatively, if your communication lessons are going to teach you to discuss nicely, to tolerate others, to listen to them and be open to considering their opinions then maybe you ought to get your arse into those lessons and pay close attention.

Another point to consider is that if almost everyone else is going to finish your course with key skill qualifications you may want them too, because that is going to show you have defineable skills that a future employer with recognise. One of my jobs looks for GCSEs and A levels, the other in is the leisure industry and I had to explain that I had standards well above those shown by key skills, but key skills certificates would have showed I had the level they wanted. Why not play ball, show you didn't just do make up at college an get some extra qualifications?
    i kinda know what you mean about being a bit older but i don't think anyone (other than yourself) would really see you as a 'mature student' even though perhaps technically, you are. i ended up doing 3 years at college so when i was in my 3rd year, i was there with people who were in year 9 when i was in year 11 at school and i felt a bit old but you have to get on with it. it's the same now i'm in my 3rd year at uni (though i'm actually a year older than most 3rd years and ahem, rather bitter about it :-|). like kaffrin said it's the same throughout life - when you go into a job at college you'll end up working with people of all age groups. i work at tesco and the age range must be from 16-late 50s. it's a good way of improving your social skills (though most of the 16 year olds i work with are annoying..;)).
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

But now you are at college. You are being told what you need to learn and left to find it all out for yourself. You won't be spoonfed at college like you were at school. You need to take responsibility for your own learning, which is why there is no setting. Also, setting is a good thing when there are probably 3 times as many people in the class than the number you have in yours.

I'd just get on with it, accept you have to do key skills and roll with the punches. And I'd stop playing the 'mature student' card as if you do the same in college as you do here, you will have no friends. People will get fed up of it. You are only 20. There isn't a big age difference between you and the rest of your group. If you were 35 then you would have a valid argument. But you aren't.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Tough shit. If you don't like the teaching, either shut up and put up, or leave. It's as easy as that.

Harsh. I think Ilora is looking for constructive feedback, rather than getting flamed for her perception of college. Why should she shut up? It's only by getting the view out there that people can challenge it and advise her on how she could see things differently.
    But now you are at college. You are being told what you need to learn and left to find it all out for yourself. You won't be spoonfed at college like you were at school. You need to take responsibility for your own learning, which is why there is no setting. Also, setting is a good thing when there are probably 3 times as many people in the class than the number you have in yours.

This seems to perfectly sum up the difference between school and college.
    I've been to 6th form since leaving school, and those 2 years were the most adult times of my life so far. Going into a college situation now feels like being back at school, and it's soul destroying. People have said to me that at college you're treated like an adult - well, I've obviously been spoilt at 6th form.

To conclude; I shall express my concerns to my course tutor next time we have one 2 one tutorial. Until then I shall sit back roll with the punches...
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    To conclude; I shall express my concerns to my course tutor next time we have one 2 one tutorial. Until then I shall sit back roll with the punches...

Tbh, if you really like the course (like the final outcome and are making friends and stuff) then I think this is the only thing you can do. Just keep your eyes on the end goal and bite your tongue when things piss you off.

This is how I got my u/g degree ;)

When is your next one to one? If it's not soon you'll probably need to be the 'mature' one and ask for a meeting sooner, if you want to be seen as oh so much more like a grown up you need to be proactive.

Most employers don't "stream" their training either, so you'll just have to get used to it.

It is a requirement, so you do it. There's not much else to it, really. I've been given all sorts of patronising training courses in my various jobs (have to say that a 3-hour course on answering the telephone was a personal favourite), but that's the way it is.