Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

13% of UK Muslims believe the 7/7 bombers should be regarded as martyrs

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh.

*shrugs*
  • Options
    :lol::lol::lol: This is not a debate anymore, this is a comedy club!!
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'd like to see the questions that were asked. Its well known that opinion polls are easy to sway in favour of a desired result, depending on the questions asked.

Go to the Populus website. (Can't get a direct URL but if you go to the poll archive and it's top of the list, you'll also find on their website a full description of their methods). Knowing a bit about pollsters (I'm working for one in my gap year) from what I've heard Populus are one of the most respected around.

Back to the findings of their poll for the Times I don't think it's particularly significant. It's been known for a long time that there is a significant minority of Muslims that hold extremist, fanatical views. And it's also been long established that the majority of British Muslims do not hold such views. This poll confirms that.

From the poll, 56% of Muslims agree that:
    The Government isn't doing enough to combat extremism in the Muslim community
    And under 16% believe suicide bombing can be justified against the military, 11% against govt workers, 10% against the police and 7% against civilians.

Of course 'Muslim' is such a broad term encompassing a gigantic range of different people but it's an unfortunate and undeniable fact that a minority of Muslims - but a fairly big minority hold disgusting and violent views, in despising free speech (e.g. Salmon Rushdie and cartoon 'controversy') and sympathising with or even supporting terrorism. But it needs to be reiterated that the bulk of British Muslims are as appalled and disgusted at terrorism as other Brits. We need to engage much more with the moderate majority (who Ken Livingstone has snubbed) and make clear that the militant minority (who Ken Livingstone has embraced) are unwelcome in our civilised society.

I think this might be the second Populus poll regarding Muslim attitudes, a previous one (Dec 9th-Dec 19th 2005, on the archive section of the Populus website) came to some worrying conclusions, 37% were said to say that British Jews are 'legitimate targets' as part of the ongoing struggle for 'justice' in the Middle East and 46% thought Jews were in league with freemasons to control the media and politics. - But in the same poll, 52% supported Israel's right to exist, only 30% didn't and 18% didn't answer and only 16% said suicide bombs in Israel are justifiable. These polls obviously show a real mixture of opinion but I think there are lots of encouraging signs.
  • Options
    For once, a post that I can agree with. :)
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    For once, a post that I can agree with. :)

I guess it sometimes rarely happens. :p

In case you've changed your opinion of my views though I'll just brag that I had the pleasure of meeting Lady Thatcher last night at a Conservative event on the Commons terrace. :thumb:
  • Options
    I guess it would be too much to hope that you killed her in the face?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I guess it would be too much to hope that you killed her in the face?

What kind of a man would 'hope' that someone else acted violently towards an elderly and frail 81 year old woman? Sick.

Meh it was a great privilege and a huge honour to meet a true hero.
  • Options
    What kind of a man would 'hope' that someone else acted violently towards an elderly and frail 81 year old woman? Sick.

Wish i was there to. She is a honour to our country. :thumb:
  • Options

What kind of fool misses a tongue wedged in a cheek?

Now, that is sick.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What kind of fool misses a tongue wedged in a cheek?

Now, that is sick.
    lol!
  • Options
    Not read the whole thread, but has anyone pointed out that if 13% think that the bombers are martyrs then 87% don't.

Some majority, non?
  • Options
    Actually I bet dis had his tongue wedged firmly in Thatchers cheeks. And I'm not on about the cheeks on her face.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Actually I bet dis had his tongue wedged firmly in Thatchers cheeks. And I'm not on about the cheeks on her face.
    innit!
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    AS if you thought of that, disgusting lol.
  • Options
    Does anyone else have trouble understanding luke's posts sometimes?
  • Options
    i think if luke ever put thought into an argument, researched it, and actually quoted more than one fact, didnt keep repeating himself, or act like a child......

.......and concentrate on just one thread at a time...........

then he would win an argument, as a luke thread rarely goes fast and doesnt need paying attention to if hes not around, therefore he can concentrate on each one in turn
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

For a middle aged failure you're very mature. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    i think if luke ever put thought into an argument, researched it, and actually quoted more than one fact, didnt keep repeating himself, or act like a child......

.......and concentrate on just one thread at a time...........

then he would win an argument, as a luke thread rarely goes fast and doesnt need paying attention to if hes not around, therefore he can concentrate on each one in turn
    sorry but i think ive done well in the thread about parliaments.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Muslims are always consulted etc. Why do we need a muslim parliament?
    Why haven't we got a Catholic parliament or a gay parliament?
    Er... everyone is consulted. What are you trying to say?

And what muslim parliament is this?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Er... everyone is consulted. What are you trying to say?

And what muslim parliament is this?
    there is amuslim parliament and a muslim council... like why do we need them? Muslim pressure groups on the other hand are fine.
  • Options
    A muslim parliament eh? You mean like the British parliament? Like the Scottish?

Why does anyone need pressure or lobby groups? Why should christian bishops occupy seats in the house of lords? Why should there be a board of jews?

It's all of them or no one my friend.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

It's all of them or no one my friend.
    Agreed. i prefer the latter to be honest.
  • Options
    If you bothered to actually research the Muslim Parliament by looking at the http://www.muslimparliament.org.uk/about.htm website you will see its not a parliament its an NGO. I bet you havnt though.

Why are hyper links not working
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Agreed. i prefer the latter to be honest.
    For once we agree :D
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    sorry but i think ive done well in the thread about parliaments.

i think he means the thread about wanting an english parliament/executive

and i really dont think you have done well in that thread luke, well for your standards yes you have, but for a well structured argument you havnt, takes me ages to understand what you are saying half the time

and you hardly entice anyone to read further with the way you behave at times
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5144438.stm

Very worrying indeed. Instead of the muslim community feeling alienated, the rest of us feel alienated toward them with comments like this.

I'm just sick of this culture where the msulim point of view is always put first. They're are always consulted on etc.

Are you for real?
  • Options
    woot! another P&D mud slinging fest...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Blagsta wrote:
    Does anyone else have trouble understanding luke's posts sometimes?

It is the complete lack of sense and often lack of factual basis that confuses me.

He's like a talking version of the Mail.

13% eh?

I bet MORE than 13% of White British folk think Hitler was brilliant. Pretty much all of the Daily Mail... they did support him.
  • Options
    Doesnt matter what poll you create, and average of 87% more people than in any other poll, love my mum.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    It is the complete lack of sense and often lack of factual basis that confuses me.

He's like a talking version of the Mail.

13% eh?

I bet MORE than 13% of White British folk think Hitler was brilliant. Pretty much all of the Daily Mail... they did support him.

it is 13% and it was done in a phone poll by the times over just over 1000 people who claim to be muslims, and then this was weighted to apply to the full muslim population - was reading the full thing yesterday, odd thing is that over 50% of those questiond reckon not enogh is done to fight terroism, and well over 80% would be pleased or indifferent if someone in their family became a copper, bout the same as non-muslims, as theres always some people who dread the thought of a relative copper