Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fancy more time to shop on Sundays?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    It's not that sunday is "special" it's just an established day off. It's a day when the country should be able to take a break, together.

:yes:
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    It's not that sunday is "special" it's just an established day off. It's a day when the country should be able to take a break, together.

But if you don't wish to take the day off and would rather have the money, or perhaps you are an independant and/or small company who would appreciate the extra revenue then the option should be open to you?
  • Options
    Small holders aren't bound by the same sunday opening laws as multinationals like tesco. At least, last time I checked they weren't.

And tbh, who needs so much money they'd work 7 days a week? There's something wrong if that's your idea of fun. MR is right, you're all on speed.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Small holders aren't bound by the same sunday opening laws as multinationals like tesco. At least, last time I checked they weren't.

And tbh, who needs so much money they'd work 7 days a week? There's something wrong if that's your idea of fun. MR is right, you're all on speed.

I presumed that the law was universal.

I'm sure plenty of people need the money enough to work 7 days a week, my parents and i certainly have at times. Also, I don't think anyone suggested that they enjoyed working long hours, but it is sometimes a necessary evil.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Fiend_85 wrote:

My mum has to work every day every couple of weeks just to keep her head above water. Not about 'fun' or 'getting so much money', its ensuring she can stay homed and provide, part of the joys of being a single mum being screwed by the government I suppose.
    I occasionally have to work six days a week (while studying) to stay afloat. Many other people have to have two jobs to survive.

It aint about wanting money or fun. Its for survival.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    My mum has to work every day every couple of weeks just to keep her head above water. Not about 'fun' or 'getting so much money', its ensuring she can stay homed and provide, part of the joys of being a single mum being screwed by the government I suppose.
    I occasionally have to work six days a week (while studying) to stay afloat. Many other people have to have two jobs to survive.

It aint about wanting money or fun. Its for survival.
    which suggests something has gone seriously wrong.
    when i were a kid only your dad worked full time in most households with your mum maybe working part time.
    now everyone in the house has to work all the hours god sends.
    back then of course ...there wasn't so much much stuff to own.
    this country and it's people are suffering from afluenza.
    everyone working their tits off for wants as opposed to needs.
    everyone willing to be owned 24/7 is deeply disturbing to someone like me who saw people fighting for fairer conditions ...a shorter working week and the promise that technology was going to set us free.
    even leisure for many is about going to a bleedin gym and sweating some more.
    even leisure has become an industry.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Fancy more time to shop on Sundays?

No.

I only fancy all Tesco ever being made 24 hours. The only thing I want to buy at 10pm on Sunday is Rizzla or Smokes.
  • Options
    how on earth did we ever survive without this desire for the lights to stay on forever?
    what happened to people waiting till the morning ...making sure they had enough of whatever till the shops opened?
  • Options
    how on earth did we ever survive without this desire for the lights to stay on forever?
    what happened to people waiting till the morning ...making sure they had enough of whatever till the shops opened?
    Something that shows this well is what happens at our shops after we close at 10pm. Reasonable closing time, you might think. Not to those people who come by about 10.20pm, just as we're all leaving the building, whinging we're not open so they can buy their L&Bs.
  • Options
    Try the people that come into the carpark in their cars, about 10 minutes after we close the main restaurant, and complain when we tell them it's drive-thru only. If they didn't have cars, ok, but they DO and it's DAFT.
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    Try the people that come into the carpark in their cars, about 10 minutes after we close the main restaurant, and complain when we tell them it's drive-thru only. If they didn't have cars, ok, but they DO and it's DAFT.
    Everyone seems to want anything at anytime, it seems. So the McDonalds is closed. What do they do? Go home and cook something healthier to eat? :p No, they just spend ages shouting abuse at the staff. Bastards.
  • Options
    To be fair to the customers, I've only had one woman shout abuse at me, because we were busy and drive thru was quite slow because I was training someone on tills. Some woman came up and was shouting at me about how she'd forgotten her order because she had to wait so long, and she had no choice but to stay in the queue. Except she didn't, because after you get past booth 3 (I was at window 4) you can leave the queue if you want to.

Stupid woman.
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    Some woman came up and was shouting at me about how she'd forgotten her order because she had to wait so long,

:lol:
  • Options
    Aye. I was trying hard not to laugh in her face. I just said to her "I'm very sorry but we can't help if it's very busy, we can only serve one person at a time".

She wasn't impressed.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    You have 6 full days a week and 6 hours on a sunday... what more do you want?

Well I work 5days and also have other commitments such as seeing family, the upkeep of my apartment, seeing friends, projects to do for work. So I WANT more hours to shop on a Sunday.
  • Options
    Well I work 5days and also have other commitments such as seeing family, the upkeep of my apartment, seeing friends, projects to do for work. So I WANT more hours to shop on a Sunday.
    Exactly. What it comes down to is that I want a service on a Sunday. Tesco and their employees are willing to provide that service. Who is anyone else to say that we can't do that? Who is anyone else to tell me what day I should be resting, or when I should be doing my shopping?
  • Options
    The store I work at usually has open on Sundays for about two or three months a year. We also have two open every day, one that is open every single day of the year.

For me, it isn't really that much of an option whether I work these days or not. I don't want to work on Sundays because I want to have a break but I don't feel I can say no either. My friend has been working about two weeks straight, no days off, not because she needs to, but because she feels she can't say no.

And it's not like the stores employ people who are getting paid well enough to be able to afford to tell the store owners to fuck off when they ask them to work long shifts for the whole week without days off.

So no, I don't think Sundays should become 'normal' days.
  • Options
    Maybe they always ask you and your friend to work these days because they think "so-and-so is always looking for overtime, I'll see if they want to work it." (I assume you're not contracted to work 7 days a week). You think they'd fire you if you said "I'm already scheduled to work 5 days this week, I don't want to." I always say that at work, and you know what, they find someone else to do it. If I was an employer, I would always approach the person that always says yes to overtime first, because I would assume that they must want the overtime, and I would expect them to say yes, which would mean I wouldn't have to ask ten other people before I filled the slot.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    tescos is open 24hrs all over the country, in fact most supermarkets don't shut before 10pm .

Fiend_85 wrote:
    You don't really need extended hours for that though. You just need to change the hours that you're open. For example, two tescos in my home town, one 10-4, the other 11-5...

um.. contradiction much?

The Watford Tesco's is the biggest in the country, and closes at midnight on a Saturday,so i miss out on some decent food after a night out. you may say who would want to work to the early hours of sunday morning.. there are plenty of bar staff that do. To me Sunday is just another day of the week, just find it anoying the pubs shut early, but thats another matter!
  • Options
    Umm sunday opening it what the topic is. Would you like me to explain context to you?
  • Options
    Exactly. What it comes down to is that I want a service on a Sunday. Tesco and their employees are willing to provide that service. Who is anyone else to say that we can't do that? Who is anyone else to tell me what day I should be resting, or when I should be doing my shopping?

Well you have got 6 hours on a Sunday. If you're not capable of getting what you need in Tesco during the week (when you literally have the entire week if your local Tesco is 24/7) or all day on a Saturday as well as a reasonable 6 hours on a Sunday you're an idiot. If there's an absolute emergency local newsagents often open longer than 6 hours on a Sunday. And it's not just about what you want, if stores open longer on a Sunday staff contracted to work Sundays will work longer hours. They won't have any choice about it. And if Tesco starts opening longer Sunday hours the other supermarkets will follow suit. Your argument about 'employees willing to provide that service' shows you have obviously never worked in a shop. Staff always end up doing unwanted overtime and if Sunday hours are extended staff currently working Sunday will be as good as forced to work the new longer hours. The status quo works fine, Sunday is a nice shorter day for those that work it and people still have most of the day to shop. Some people really need to get a life, there is more to life than shopping ffs.
  • Options
    when i were a lad ...sundays meant more or less everything coming to a stanstill.
    i would love it to go back to that.
    one day a week of peace and tranquility.

I haven't read the entire thread but this sums up exactly the way I feel (except for the "when I was a lad" part... which I'm keeping under wraps ;) ).

I think there needs to be some guaranteed time off for shopworkers and as is, it's a Sunday evening when they know pretty much all of them will be off from 4/5pm onwards. The rest of us need a day/evening off from consuming, too, if I'm being completely frank about my feelings on this. I think there's far too much of a "need it now" culture where you can get your hands on any old thing at any old time and while that's naturally convenient it's not necessary to have these services on-hand 24/7. We've just been manipulated into thinking it is as such, which I personally think paints a pretty sad picture.

Surely we can deal without having the supermarket from 5pm on Sunday 'til 8am or whenever the next morning. As has surely been mentioned, there are still little convenience stores that can provide the essentials. They've seen the gap in the market and filled it, I've never had a Sunday night when I've needed something I can't get. But I suppose it depends if you're a cordon bleu chef or something, which I am not, and in that case you should try and become a tad bit more organised and buy your organically reared baby shallots on a Saturday (or grow your own) :thumb:
  • Options
    Well you have got 6 hours on a Sunday. If you're not capable of getting what you need in Tesco during the week (when you literally have the entire week if your local Tesco is 24/7) or all day on a Saturday as well as a reasonable 6 hours on a Sunday you're an idiot. If there's an absolute emergency local newsagents often open longer than 6 hours on a Sunday.
    Tell me again what gives you the right to tell me and Tesco when we are allowed to trade?
    And it's not just about what you want, if stores open longer on a Sunday staff contracted to work Sundays will work longer hours. They won't have any choice about it. And if Tesco starts opening longer Sunday hours the other supermarkets will follow suit..
    Tell me again what gives you the right to interfere in a private contract between employer and employee? And what about the staff that would welcome the extra hours on a Sunday?
    Your argument about 'employees willing to provide that service' shows you have obviously never worked in a shop. Staff always end up doing unwanted overtime and if Sunday hours are extended staff currently working Sunday will be as good as forced to work the new longer hours.
    No, I work for a restaurant. We are open from 10-10:30 on a Sunday. Why should supermarket staff get special treatment? Why not close restaurants, cinemas, pubs, hospitals? We have good managers who will always try their hardest (and in most circumstances, succeed) to accomodate peoples genuine commitments, such as exams or children.
    The status quo works fine, Sunday is a nice shorter day for those that work it and people still have most of the day to shop. Some people really need to get a life, there is more to life than shopping ffs.
    You're entitled to have your Sunday as a nice shorter day if you want. Just don't try and impose that on anyone else.
  • Options
    I think it's good there are Sunday trading restrictions, even though in this country they exist for the wrong reasons (religious) instead of to protect small, local businesses against the all-engulfing power of big corporations.

In Spain big stores are only allowed to open at all 8 Sundays a year. This was designed to level the field a bit and make it fairer for traditional shops. I think it's a good thing.

It also gives more employees the chance of having the Sunday off- which is nice for a number of reasons.
  • Options
    Actually Aladdin, they exist to protect small local buinesses. For the third time this thread.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Actually Aladdin, they exist to protect small local buinesses. For the third time this thread.

Small local businesses would do better if they didn't charge such rip off prices. I go to the shop over my road when I need something quickly or the supermarket is closed but they are very expensive.

I would be happy if supermarkets opened later on Sundays as I don't get much of a chance to go in the week and I could go then.

Plenty of people work on Sundays such as those in bars/catering, and don't whinge about it.
  • Options
    Are they? My bad.

Different story in Easter Sunday though...
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

Seriously, have you got a little sand in your vagina? We're trying to have a reasoned discussion, not a curt exchange of non-views.

As "I'm with Stupid" says, why should people working in retail expect special Sunday treatment. Just because you've got short day Sunday doesn't me a) they're intrinsically right or b) they're instrinsically special.

Again, if people are willing and want to work then why not let them?
  • Options
    Seriously, have you got a little sand in your vagina? We're trying to have a reasoned discussion, not a curt exchange of non-views.

You can't exactly debate something based on inaccurate information. Aladdin made an incorrect assumption, I corrected him, it happened to be the third time I'd mentioned it, which would irritate most people.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    You can't exactly debate something based on inaccurate information. Aladdin made an incorrect assumption, I corrected him, it happened to be the third time I'd mentioned it, which would irritate most people.

I'm not contesting the correctness of his assertions, i'm picking up on the curtness of your replies.