Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fancy more time to shop on Sundays?

You aren't alone if you do. Says the Beeb: "More than half of consumers want shops to open for longer on Sundays, research suggests. The findings come from a YouGov poll carried out for the My Sunday My Choice campaign, which wants the Sunday trading laws to be deregulated. The government is currently reviewing the restrictions on trading, which let shops open for six hours on a Sunday. A rival campaign called Keep Sunday Special says it wants to see the day return to a family day of rest."

Allow me to declare an interest. I work in a shop, and occasionally, I have to work Sundays. I don't have a specific opt-out for it, the boss chooses to give me the day off unless there are exceptional circumstances. Concerning the poll... I wonder if they'd been so keen to publish the findings had the public said they were against more Sunday trading. I wonder whether the people who work in the retail sector are equally in favour. Another day for the public to shout abuse and moan generally at shop staff... not a prospect I welcome, I have to say.

Anyway, over to you. Do you fancy more hours to shop? Want to work more on Sundays? Or do you fancy, as Keep Sunday Special does, that nobody should do any work on this day?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would like longer shopping hours on a Sunday, for me it just gives me the choice of when I want to shop instead of having to rush around. To me Sunday is just another day of the week.
  • Options
    I would like longer shopping hours on a Sunday, for me it just gives me the choice of when I want to shop instead of having to rush around.
    You have 6 full days a week and 6 hours on a sunday... what more do you want?
  • Options
    Different would suit me, but tbh, I don't like having to do "stuff" on a sunday, I like having a day off, if I need to shop I'll do it on saturday.
  • Options
    It'd suit me more tbh. I don't always (or at least didn't, and may not in a few weeks) have time to shop during the week due to school/work, and I work saturdays. So that is really limiting if I don't want to go to one of the big chain stores.

I wouldn't want to work the sundays though as that's usually the day of the week for any competitions I do, and I wonder how many employees want Sunday treated as a "normal" day and how many are like myself in that they wouldn't want to work longer hours or any hours at all.
  • Options
    tescos is open 24hrs all over the country, in fact most supermarkets don't shut before 10pm and open at 8am every day but sunday. How is that not enough time?

And, it's only big chain stores that are affected. The reason for the sunday/bank holiday commercial hours were to protect small holders.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    You have 6 full days a week and 6 hours on a sunday... what more do you want?

But depending on when you work, it might not be possible to do that much shopping during the week...
  • Options
    How much shopping do you really need to do? Other shops (electrical clothing etc) have late opening on varying days of the week as well.
  • Options
    i dont think it should, several reasons!
    1) more people would have to work
    2) i would have to work :impissed:
    3) it would ruin everyones day of rest, (sundays are for wearing old comfy clothes and doing all the jobs you haven't done all week)
    4) the sabbath! (excuse for a rest)
    5) stop some from expressing their religious beliefs, (not me personally but..)
    6) it will stop the family gathering on the one day where few work which sometimes this is the only time some families get to be together, and they won't be able to because they'll be in work, think of all those sunday roasts you'll miss while sitting at your checkout!
  • Options
    when i were a lad ...sundays meant more or less everything coming to a stanstill.
    i would love it to go back to that.
    one day a week of peace and tranquility.
    i haven't stepped foot out of the house today ...i have had a dressing gown on all day and done nowt ...except cook a nice roast and drink a few pints of beer ...perfect.
  • Options
    i haven't stepped foot out of the house today ...i have had a dressing gown on all day and done nowt ...except cook a nice roast and drink a few pints of beer ...perfect.
    Which you bought on Saturday, right? :p
  • Options
    4) the sabbath! (excuse for a rest)

Sabbath = on a Saturday
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Which you bought on Saturday, right? :p
    of course.
  • Options
    It's bad enough having to work sundays as it is, if i had to work more hours i would find another job.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Sabbath = on a Saturday
    If you're jewish...
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    If you're jewish...
    originaly for christians as well till one of them there anti christian christian religous leaders changed it ...a pope if i remember correctly .
  • Options
    With many supermarkets open 24/7 in the week, long hours on a Saturday and 6 hours on a Sunday I can't see any actual need for longer Sunday opening hours...Tbh in principle I would not really care how long shops open and it does seem quite strange to legislate on opening hours but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the status quo. Have these people who need more than 6 hours on a Sunday never been abroad? Really, 6 hours is sufficient. (Although, working on a Sunday I suppose an extra few hours at time and a half pay would give me a few extra quid...But that's another thing, no matter how long the shop is open the shop makes the same amount of money. People [broadly speaking] do not buy more because the shop is open longer...In which case longer Sunday hours could reduce profits (and being a John Lewis partner) I guess that's a reason for me to oppose this...

Unfortunately the pointlessness of extending Sunday hours won't stop this debate becoming a ridiculous waste of time; with a confrontation between the unions/Churches and 'My Sunday My Choice' inevitable and possibly a load of time wasted debating it in the Commons and the Lords. Do these people in 'My Sunday My Choice' have a life? There really are far, far more important things to discuss than Sunday opening hours..
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    If you're jewish...

Or Seventh-day Adventist. Pretty sure it's Saturday for them too.
  • Options
    It's basically a moot point though, it's simply the established "day off" for the nation.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    It's basically a moot point though, it's simply the established "day off" for the nation.
    but you profess to be a christian ...The Sabbath is not the first day of the week (Sunday), as many believe, but the seventh day (Saturday). which your god instituted as special day at the end of his creative seven days.
    your God has specifically and positively forbidden men to change His law by deletions or additions.
    so the sabbath is still saturday.
    but ...there aren't realy any true christians left are there ...due to the catholic church tampering with everything the god of the bible asks of his people.
    the popes ...the most sucsessful anti christs in history.
    even conned the protestants and turned them away from their faith.
  • Options
    Northern Ireland still has pretty strong views on the situation. Only been a few years since shops were allowed to open at all on a Sunday, plus there's many sporting events that are prohibited to be played on Sunday's.
  • Options
    If I want to do my shopping on a Sunday evening, and Tesco are willing to provide that service, who is anyone else to say we shouldn't be allowed to?
    People [broadly speaking] do not buy more because the shop is open longer...In which case longer Sunday hours could reduce profits (and being a John Lewis partner) I guess that's a reason for me to oppose this...
    Surely it's the individual companies to decide how it will or will not effect thier profits though? If it adversely effects their profits, they won't open on a Sunday. If there is demand for it, they will open on a Sunday - simple really.

As for working Sundays, well it's fairly simple, if you don't want to, you wouldn't pick that job to do, or you would negotiate with your employer so that you get that day off. Are we going to stop every job that might have slightly anti-social hours?
  • Options
    As for working Sundays, well it's fairly simple, if you don't want to, you wouldn't pick that job to do, or you would negotiate with your employer so that you get that day off. Are we going to stop every job that might have slightly anti-social hours?
    Excuse me? What kind of nonsense is that? In a lot of jobs in the retail sector, people don't get to choose what days they can work. We're not all doing 9-5 Monday to Friday jobs these days, you know! You either have to take the hours, or not do the job at all. And not doing the job is not an option for millions of families struggling to get by.
  • Options
    I had to work sundays in order to get this job.
    I don't have a great deal of choice of jobs because of the amount of days i want to work. It's not that simple.
  • Options
    but you profess to be a christian ...The Sabbath is not the first day of the week (Sunday), as many believe, but the seventh day (Saturday). which your god instituted as special day at the end of his creative seven days.
    your God has specifically and positively forbidden men to change His law by deletions or additions.
    so the sabbath is still saturday.
    but ...there aren't realy any true christians left are there ...due to the catholic church tampering with everything the god of the bible asks of his people.
    the popes ...the most sucsessful anti christs in history.
    even conned the protestants and turned them away from their faith.
    Relevent?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Excuse me? What kind of nonsense is that? In a lot of jobs in the retail sector, people don't get to choose what days they can work. We're not all doing 9-5 Monday to Friday jobs these days, you know! You either have to take the hours, or not do the job at all. And not doing the job is not an option for millions of families struggling to get by.

I'm not sure what your argument is here. I'd imagine working in retail you'll have two days off, albeit they maybe mid-week, in which you can do the things you need to get done. You appear to want to have your cake and eat it, taking two days off and then having another short day. There's nowt special about Sunday, other than perhaps for religious reasons and possibly tradition.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    I had to work sundays in order to get this job.
    I don't have a great deal of choice of jobs because of the amount of days i want to work. It's not that simple.
    Exactly. You're a young mum, and you want to spend time with your kid. Yet you also want to be making some money for yourself. Nothing wrong with that. Do we really want more laws that take parents away from their kids on Sundays?
    I'm not sure what your argument is here. I'd imagine working in retail you'll have two days off, albeit they maybe mid-week, in which you can do the things you need to get done. You appear to want to have your cake and eat it, taking two days off and then having another short day. There's nowt special about Sunday, other than perhaps for religious reasons and possibly tradition.
    Sunday is one of my two days off, the other one being tomorrow. Most of my work colleagues get one day off about Tuesday and another off about Friday. I wonder what hours you work yourself...
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Relevent?
    :D no ...i'm pointlessly trying to stop the christians coming in and claiming sunday back.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I quite like having my Sundays off and having a 'lazy day'. I have worked Sundays, I dont really mind it. Some people should be thankful they only have to work 6 hours on a Sunday, none of that pussy stuff in a 24 hour call centre.

If the store wants to open and staff are prepared to work (ie: not forced) then I dont see a problem.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Sunday is one of my two days off, the other one being tomorrow. Most of my work colleagues get one day off about Tuesday and another off about Friday. I wonder what hours you work yourself...

I'm confused. Surely, as Sunday is one of your days off it would be advantageous to you for trading to occur for longer?
  • Options
    I'm confused. Surely, as Sunday is one of your days off it would be advantageous to you for trading to occur for longer?

Why exactly?