Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

first job!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone!

I have finally got a job!! yay!! my first job!! hehe im 16 lol and on £4.20 an hour - this is reasonable isnt it for a first job for an under 18 year old - start next saturday. Its doing silver service waitressing btw!! ooo im so excited...

so......to make this a worthwhile post - what were everyone else's first jobs?

xxxxxxxxxx

Comments

• Options
    Hospital receptionist. Paid ~£5 per hour, and that was way back in '98.

Enjoy your job. Pocket money is always nice. :thumb:
  • Options
    my first job was a junior web designer. i had a shit wage though. was something like £3.40 an hour
  • Options
    Bench engineer at an IBM brokerage, specializing in laptops. Quite enjoyed it :).
  • Options
    First job .. working for a Ben Sherman outlet. Glad i left after three weeks turned out the bosses were thieving bastards ;p
  • Options
    Technically my first job was as a waitress at 15 for £2.10 p/h. But I only lasted a couple of shifts, so my first real job was working at Boots when I was not quite 16. I got £3.10 p/h and thought I was the shizzle :lol:

It was an OK job for a young'un, but the Boots uniform circa 96/97 did nothing for my street cred :(
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I worked in a chip shop from the age of about 15. It was, erm, fun?

I ended up being supervisor before leaving for university!

Go me :D
  • Options
    Work for a sound a lighting company, I forget how much for though... Something like £270 a week. Quite enjoyed it, but my boss was a penis.
  • Options
    My first job was working in Virgin - £4.25 ph when i was 16.

Fuckin brilliant.
  • Options
    i worked in a post office where i'd delivered papers for about 3 years for. i got offered a job working on saturdays as soon as i turned 16. i worked behind the counter selling papers/stamps/cigarettes/sweets and paying the paper boys/girls. i think i did 7:30-12:30 and got about £15 (at the most!). i was only there 6 months before i started at tesco.
  • Options
    First real job was the Co-op when I was 17, getting paid £3.73 an hour. I'm still there (in the holidays) and getting paid £5.21.

I've also been a cleaner (hooray for cash in hand) and a babysitter, but I think everyone does that at some point or another.
  • Options
    First real job was the Co-op when I was 17, getting paid £3.73 an hour. I'm still there (in the holidays) and getting paid £5.21.

Do co-op really only pay people £5.21? I would have thought most supermarkets and shops would pay people about the same, co-op are mean!
  • Options
    *cough*payrise*cough*

:thumb:
  • Options
    I was a trolley guy for Tesco.

It was actually a good job- the crack was good, and it gave me buns of steel.
  • Options
    Waiter and barman in a restaurant, earning £2.25 an hour! Woohoo.
  • Options
    I was 16, worked at a store called Shop-Ko... a "supermarket" I think you'd call it. Worked in the jewlery section. I spent 20 hours a week changing watch batteries and selling people cheap necklaces so they could pretend to look good to their girlfriends.
  • Options
    Morrisons, sixteen, £3.70 an hour.

Now: Morrisons, nineteen, £5.16 an hour.

It's rubbish. ;(
  • Options
    Lil Laura wrote:
    Morrisons, sixteen, £3.70 an hour.

Now: Morrisons, nineteen, £5.16 an hour.

It's rubbish. ;(

we just got a payrise at tesco. i'm gonna be on £6.03. :yum:
  • Options
    My first job paid me £3 per hour. It was quite shite.
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    My first job paid me £3 per hour. It was quite shite.

And mine. Then someone told our boss he was a cheap bastard abd he rose it to £3.20. When we turned sixteen, he raised us to £3.50...#

My first job was in a coffee bar in a sports centre, on weekends. It wasn't bad really, as it was me and a few lads my age basically runnig the cofee bar. We we're meant to be supervised by whichever boss was on reception, but in all honesty, they only came down to us if they wanted feeding :) The lads I worked with were cool as well, and became quite good mates....one's my boyfriend now, so, I can't say I regret working there.

Am a cleaner now though. Woo me :yeees: Better pay though. £4.25. :D
  • Options
    we just got a payrise at tesco. i'm gonna be on £6.03. :yum:

My God. :|

Morrisons have to have one of the lowest wages going, I'm sure. So unfair. ;(
  • Options
    Lil Laura wrote:
    My God. :|

Morrisons have to have one of the lowest wages going, I'm sure. So unfair. ;(

i think i was wrong, think it's £6.01.

did you ever send your cv off to tesco? and are you planning on keeping your job while you're at uni? (that's if i'm right in thinking you're going..).
  • Options
    hmmn, after babysitting, I had a stint at chambermaiding when I was about thirteen, maybe fourteen. If I remember rightly the pay wasn't too bad- about £5ph cash in hand as well as the perks of whatever people leave behind in hotel rooms...
  • Options
    i think i was wrong, think it's £6.01.

did you ever send your cv off to tesco? and are you planning on keeping your job while you're at uni? (that's if i'm right in thinking you're going..).

I'm gonna send my CV off to Tesco & Waitrose in Lincoln, maybe a couple of other places, and hope I get something for September. If not then Morrisons have said they'll cut my hours down to weekends, and I'll come back for weekends to work there until I get something in Lincoln - really don't want to be coming back to Morrisons in Scunny every weekend unless there's no other option!
  • Options
    Lil Laura wrote:
    I'm gonna send my CV off to Tesco & Waitrose in Lincoln, maybe a couple of other places, and hope I get something for September. If not then Morrisons have said they'll cut my hours down to weekends, and I'll come back for weekends to work there until I get something in Lincoln - really don't want to be coming back to Morrisons in Scunny every weekend unless there's no other option!

i come home every weekend to work sundays, brings me about £220 a month (but i also have to pay for the upkeep of my car). i don't mind it as for me the uni life is really during the week - however it would be nice to chill out at the weekend. i like coming home too, to see my family, get my washing done and have some good food. i was thinking about applying for a transfer as the people at tesco are fucking me right off. :thumb: been there toooooooo long!
  • Options
    i might be going for £6.50 an hour
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    First job aged 15 working in a call centre on £4.75.

Still there aged 19 (nearly 20! :|) and on £6.38 now
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    rachie004 wrote:
    I only get paid £1.90 an hour :crying:

:razz:
    Plus all your bonus thingies and flying hours etc :p
  • Options
    i come home every weekend to work sundays, brings me about £220 a month (but i also have to pay for the upkeep of my car). i don't mind it as for me the uni life is really during the week - however it would be nice to chill out at the weekend. i like coming home too, to see my family, get my washing done and have some good food. i was thinking about applying for a transfer as the people at tesco are fucking me right off. :thumb: been there toooooooo long!

Yeah, that's my problem with Morrisons - too many reminders of bad memories, I think! I want uni to be a complete fresh start, so a new job would be the best thing for me, I reckon.
  • Options
    Lil Laura wrote:
    Yeah, that's my problem with Morrisons - too many reminders of bad memories, I think! I want uni to be a complete fresh start, so a new job would be the best thing for me, I reckon.

i've been at tesco 4 and a half years. the young people starting now make me feel soooo old. we can't do anything anymore, for example we can't do voids on the till (like if we scan something twice by mistake or if the customer changes their mind). if we want a void doing we have to press a little buzzer on a keypad and the section managers/team leaders (who are meant to be wearing a little headset but invariably they don't work or they have them around their neck) come and do it (with their password. i remembered one of them but then she changed it!). a few times now i've had to get off my checkout and go to customer service desk to put a call out for them to come to my till as they're no where to be seen! and all because if they have too many voids then it can count as mislaid items or something/a loss. and lately they seem to be putting out sooooo many first class service calls (when the checkouts a busy, staff off other depts are meant to come and help) it's ridiculous. i feel sorry for the other depts, they have stuff to do too!

it's a joke i tell you, a joke!
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    I only get paid £1.90 an hour :crying:

where do you work?

first day tomorrow!! still havent got any plain black, flat, comfortable shoes i can be on my feet in for about 10 hours