Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Vegetarians (and no fish killers)

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i don't think at any point in history ...a family would have bought an entire cow!
    out here in the country we do buy a chicken and use more or less everything.
    i can assure you the farm and food industry use every single part of an animal ...always have ...hooves and bones and horns for glue and such like but it has moved on miles from those days.
    we now have hightech emulsifying techniques. you buy cheap industrial chicken spread ...you get the beak the feet the lot.
    if the odd feather goes into the machinery you get that as well.
    inards eyeballs etc.
    suasages are mostly lips and bumbs.

The american indians used all of the buffalo, its quite interesting. They even used bits like tongues, eyeballs, testicles etc. But the profit margins aren't high enough to throw bits of the animals away for nothing, they'll get someone to pay them even if its a very paltry amount for them.
  • Options
    talia wrote:
    I apologise M Roll, my mistake. But yes dairy farming is cruel. The only reason the cows want to be milked is because if they dont, then they suffer. Their calfs are taken away at birth, and dont say they dont care, because it is in every mothers nature to care, whether human or cow. And because dairy cows have been bred to produce so much milk, it is very painful for them now, not to be milked, so they have no choice. I would say that is cruel. Also the fact that most dairy cows suffer painful arthiritis and knee problems. That is humanities doing.
    guess what ...we also remove puppies and kittens from their mums so they can't have a happy family life!
    cows aren't left in pain before being milked.
    domesticated animals have it better than anytime in history.
    take a look at wild cows ...thin gaunt hungry eyes popping out ...
  • Options
    The american indians used all of the buffalo, its quite interesting. They even used bits like tongues, eyeballs, testicles etc. But the profit margins aren't high enough to throw bits of the animals away for nothing, they'll get someone to pay them even if its a very paltry amount for them.
    i eat tounge now ...and occasionaly sheeps bollox.
    it's quite normal you know.
    i think the city has blinded many.
  • Options
    talia wrote:
    See if it was if it was between me and a chicken living, i would choose me, but just because im selfish :p What would you do Briggi?

Hmm, what would the situation be? I'm struggling to imagine a scenario where it'd be a toss up between our lives :p

rolly - I didn't mean a whole cow, I meant a big hunk of meat or a joint or similar. I know that most people don't buy an entire animal, though at one point people cooked entire pigs etc on a spit roast so it's not beyond the realms of possibility ;)
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Hmm, what would the situation be? I'm struggling to imagine a scenario where it'd be a toss up between our lives :p

rolly - I didn't mean a whole cow, I meant a big hunk of meat or a joint or similar. I know that most people don't buy an entire animal, though at one point people cooked entire pigs etc on a spit roast so it's not beyond the realms of possibility ;)

That was more the rich people, who stuffed themselves, and had more food than they could manage. That was usually hunted and not bought though. Look at Henry VIII. Rest assured, the common people went hungry and a small piece of meat was priceless, because they had no money whatsoever.

Also, there was the problem of a lack of refrigeration. The first preserved meat was when they used to get bits of ham and put it in a barrel of salt.

Bread and soup were much more a staple of their diet than now though, where meat was previously a rich-person-only food. Later on it did become more accessible, but even in the last century, there was still a divide and you'd have to buy 'second class' meat like mutton etc.

Now meat is cheaper than ever, everyone only wants the most desirable bits! The less desirable bits get thrown in dog food. Well actually, the meat is checked for its safeness. If its ok, human food, crap bits go in reconstituted meat because you cant tell, bad meat goes in pet food, i.e. not fit for human consumption. So if a sheep died of cancer or something, humans cant eat it but dogs can.
  • Options
    That was more the rich people, who stuffed themselves, and had more food than they could manage. That was usually hunted and not bought though. Look at Henry VIII. Rest assured, the common people went hungry and a small piece of meat was priceless, because they had no money whatsoever.

I should have been more clear, I was actually thinking more along the lines of when people lived a hunter-gatherer existence and would roast their prize catches over a fire etc and eat it all... not really in terms of royal court gluttony etc. But I do take your point.
  • Options
    If a cow is not milked twice a day, they are in extreme discomfort. :impissed:

Yes, but they get the first 6 and most crucial weeks of their lives with their mummies. Even bunny rabbits do. So why not cows? Because we want to steal the mummy's milk from the baby. Drinking the breast milk from anyone other than a mother/wet nurse just isnt natural, and besides most people (70% are intolerant) there is only a high tolerance as that (mostly in the west) because we have just been doing it so long our bodies have attempted to adjust, and in the past, those who couldnt didnt last so long. WHy do you think it is a very bad idea for babies to drink cows milk? its bad for them.

And as for cats and dogs and pets, i honestly would never have a pet. Animals are not meant to be domesticated (dogs still have instincts). Animals are not meant to live indoors. Or in cages. Also we would never run up to a wild animal and stroke it, unless you are a little bit silly. Unless animals have a natural relationship to eachother (fleas on dogs) do they ever deliberately touch eachother? I wouldnt deliberately have contact with a wild animal, because it is not natural, what makes it different for cats and dogs?
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I should have been more clear, I was actually thinking more along the lines of when people lived a hunter-gatherer existence and would roast their prize catches over a fire etc and eat it all... not really in terms of royal court gluttony etc. But I do take your point.

Oops :blush: yea I see what you mean, but even as hunter gatherers I think part of the reason they ate every single last scrap was because they went hungry without. Eating in our culture these days is not about preventing starvation - thats been protected since the 1950s by the government - but its about enjoying what we eat. And it turns out we enjoy eating meat, even though historically it was only a relatively minor part of a humans diet. As a result, huge swathes of the amazon have been cleared for cattle, infact cheap land everywhere really.
  • Options
    I've been a veggie for almost 3 years, but I had a 6 month break in the middle of it, as I'd kinda lost any strong feelings about the subject. But I started feeling guilty, and decided being a vegetarian felt better on my conscience. I do like the taste of meat - I don't see why my moral values would affect that. I hate it when people criticise me for eating Quorn, or fake bacon etc. Yes meat tastes scrummy, but at least I'm not eating the real thing. I haven't actually tried that many meats, though. Just your usual pork, turkey, chicken and burgers. I had a steak for the first time during my break, and it almost made me vom. The texture, the appearance, and the taste of it was a truly horrible experience. I've never tried lamb, goose, duck, rabbit, veal etc, and I would never want to. I'm glad.

I could give a lot of reasons why I'm veggie, but its often hard to explain them to the meat-eating majority - they seem to have an answer for everything. :D

For one, I disagree with the idea that some animals are worth more than others. I wouldn't want to eat a dog, or a horse, so I feel I should treat pigs, cows, etc with the same consideration.

Two, I don't need to eat meat to stay healthy. I have had blood tests etc, and according to my doctor I have a healthy diet (despite a total lack of exercise ;p). And so I see eating meat as an unnecessary 'evil' in my life.

Three, it strengthens my ethical values - I'm sorry I don't have a source to hand, but I read that far too much of the earth's resources are put into meat farming for the developed world. I saw something that linked the amount of feed fed to cattle, and the aid for famine. Also, something like 10lbs of water goes into making just 1lb of beef..
    I try not to preach to my mates that my beliefs are better than theirs, but I hate to see them eat so much meat. Some eat it with every meal, and not only is that far more than is needed nutritionally, but cutting down the amount to maybe 2 or 3 portions a week would do wonders for conservation and large problems regarding humanity..

Anyway, I'll stop wittering on now.. I don't value a minutes pleasure for my tastebuds over the life of an animal.. lol sounds like something out of Peta. :p
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    otter wrote:
    yep. and we've evolved so far that we cannot even eat meat without cooking it.
    do you know any other mammal / omnivoir / carnivour on the plaent which has to resort to that?! - is it still natural to eat meat?!

We as animals havn't evolved a great deal, our technology has.

And as with meat - the amount of veg you'd be able to eat would be severely limited if you wern't able to cook it.

I'm quite happy to kill an animal and eat it. I quite often eat birds I shoot, but unfortunately I don't really have the time or the means to kill and butcher a whole cow.

Is it natural to have to rely on technology to give the balanced diet you need? Is it fuck.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    talia wrote:

And as for cats and dogs and pets, i honestly would never have a pet. Animals are not meant to be domesticated ). ?
    even ants have domesticated creatures that they tend.
    man has a fantastic relationship with dogs and the dogs do just fine.
    if all this is to much for your sensetivities i despair.
    does every great civilisation collapse at this point?
    when they become so comfortable they loose touch with the earth and the animals and their relationships to these things.
    when death and blood is something alien ...horrible ...to be avoided at all cost?
    if the present system we live in should collapse ...your sentiments will go out the window pretty quick ...and you'll eat anything and everything.
    you can only hold these belief systems whilst comforatble.
  • Options
    I think what people here are doing is separating humans and nature as if they're some sort of separate entities. It's bullshit.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I think what people here are doing is separating humans and nature as if they're some sort of separate entities. It's bullshit.
    and believeing they have some superior morality by the sounds of things.
    a morality based on nothing more than comfort.
    believe me ...if the west goes into economic collapse millions of people will eject all there illusions pretty quickly.
    if there was nowt left to eat ...i'd eat my dog ...and then all the vegetarians i could find!
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    strong feelings about the subject. But I started feeling guilty, and decided being a vegetarian felt better on my conscience.
    consideration.
    I see eating meat as an unnecessary 'evil' in my life.

it strengthens my ethical values - I try not to preach to my mates that my beliefs are better than theirs, but

I don't value a minutes pleasure for my tastebuds over the life of an animal.. . :p
    like this kinda stuff.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    the 'its nature' arguement doesn't wash with me. its human nature to fight to the death when sumone tries to steal ur cave and hav sex with ur cavewoman girlfriend but thats not socially accepted is it!! some of us have evolved a bit from there and moved on. developed morals and the like
    Sounds like a saturday night to me.
  • Options
    like this kinda stuff.

Aye must be social conditioning or some shit.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Christians versus pagans.

And ants practice genocide too you know.
  • Options
    uppa ra
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Christians versus pagans.

And ants practice genocide too you know.

Come again?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Come again?
    I wasn't making coherant sense last night!

I think what I wanted to comment on was the idea that man as part of nature has its roots largely in paganism (e.g. animism etc) and that the idea that man has dominion over nature became popular with the rise of Christianity. But having dominion over nature does not imply it is right to exploit nature.

However lots of people regard the words "good" and "natural" as being much the same. Think how many times you see on beauty products or foods that they are "all natural" implying that they are good. But to think of nature as necessarily good is wrong. Most people regard ants as a natural being. Yet ant live in complex societies that practice slavery and even genocide, neither of which are "good".

I'm not really sure why I had the desire to post that in the early hours but that is the gist of what I wanted to say. Believe it or not I study this shit at university.
  • Options
    Nature is often harsh. It has good connotations in most repects but not all.

Also, certain tribes in West Africa still practice Animism to this day.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Nature is often harsh. It has good connotations in most repects but not all.

Also, certain tribes in West Africa still practice Animism to this day.
    :yes: And there are still practising pagans around too. I went to Pagan society at university once (by accident- but that is a whole other thread). But largely as Christianity grew in popularity Paganism has been reduced to a tiny minority religion. But I'm sure there are lots of animists in other societies as you say.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    . Believe it or not I study this shit at university.
    why?
  • Options
    why?
    Why not?