Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Vegetarians (and no fish killers)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    talia wrote:
    After the foody threads it got me thinking.... to all you vegetarians out there - what was your reason for being vegetarian? And how long have you been veggie? And NO fish eaters thankyou. :impissed:
    because i cannot justify why we need to eat meat. and after having seen first hand the atrocities of factory farms - i cannot justify that either.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    its usually how they're kept and treated before they're killed that qualifies as animal cruelty

They bury carrots up to their necks in dirt and only take them out to be eaten. They have to survive the elements then get chomped as a reward. That's pretty damn cruel in my book.
  • Options
    They don't bury carrots, they plant seeds, silly :p If you bury carrots, they tend to rot.
  • Options
    They don't bury carrots, they plant seeds, silly :p If you bury carrots, they tend to rot.

That makes it a million times worse. They bury carrot babies! Carrot babies, never seeing the sun.....I'm misting up here.......

THE HUMANITY!

ETA: I said they were cruel. I didn't say they were clever. :o
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    They bury carrots up to their necks in dirt and only take them out to be eaten. They have to survive the elements then get chomped as a reward. That's pretty damn cruel in my book.

I bet dogs pee on them too. And I bet rabbits poop on my lettuce, and theres no amount of washing that can get that out.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I bet dogs pee on them too. And I bet rabbits poop on my lettuce, and theres no amount of washing that can get that out.

One time, I saw an old man punch a radish. And he laughed.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:

Bastard :no:
    Sick fucking bastard.

Do you know how they make rasins? My stomache turns at the thought.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:

:lol:

:shocking: :shocking: :shocking:
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    That makes it a million times worse. They bury carrot babies! Carrot babies, never seeing the sun.....I'm misting up here.......

THE HUMANITY!
    :lol: Won't someone please think of the children!

:heart:
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    An alligator would probably say the same thing about humans but I don't fancy being eaten by one :p
    Is it wrong for alligators to eat meat? Or any carnivore for that matter?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    If animals didn't want to be eaten, then why are they made of meat? :confused:

Your made of meat too :p

If I lived in a cannable society I'd be really fat. Nobody likes the fatty pieces of meat.

My boyfriend is the same way that you posted, eating steaks and porkchops and what not at every single meal. I rarely eat meat becasue I don't like the taste and I will not cook meat as raw stuff is the most discusting thing to look at and touch. Though chicken is a nice topping of a salad.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    hmm, i was just being silly about animals being made of meat. i've got to quit with the irony on this board - no one ever gets it and thinks i'm making a serious, and very stupid or offensive, point.

You offend me :p
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    If animals didn't want to be eaten, then why are they made of meat? :confused:

I just spat my drink all over my desk thanks to you :lol:
  • Options
    hmm, i was just being silly about animals being made of meat. i've got to quit with the irony on this board - no one ever gets it and thinks i'm making a serious, and very stupid or offensive, point.

I got it ;)

I think it's because animals are secretly suicidal. Cows are total emos, that's why they have all those patches. 'Moo' roughly translates as "you don't understand me, no one does!". If pigs could grow long hair, it'd be swept over their eyes constantly.

And chickens? All those clucks are bad poems about darkness, anger and death.
  • Options
    i made a post recently saying that people who receive state benefits should be forcibly sterilised to prevent them from reproducing, and then someone, think it was rolly, thought i meant it and that i was a right fascist bastard. i either need to abandon the attempts at humour, or make better use of smilies when i'm trying it so people know i'm not that thick :):p :yes:

See now I like the way you think. You have ideas very similar to my brother, and he = smart ;)

:thumb: Keep up the good work soldier.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    I got it ;)

I think it's because animals are secretly suicidal. Cows are total emos, that's why they have all those patches. 'Moo' roughly translates as "you don't understand me, no one does!". If pigs could grow long hair, it'd be swept over their eyes constantly.

And chickens? All those clucks are bad poems about darkness, anger and death.

:lol:
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    that's why you see younger sheep dressed in black as well.
    That must piss off the black sheep of the family.
  • Options
    i like eating anything that's ediable :D preferbly steak and some lovely vegetables to accompany it

it's like you cant just have a brunette with you, you gotta have a blonde also with you ;)
  • Options
    I think someone who eats fish but not other meat is a pesco-vegetarian or pescatarian. Then there are the pollo-vegetarians (a different kettle of...er, chicken) who I find incredibly annoying though I know a large number of them. I call them picky-arians... which they don't like ;)

I've been a vegetarian for six years now, my reasons are directly related to my feelings about animals, specifically the fact that I don't want any animal to suffer and/or die in my name. I'm most definitely hyper-sensitive about the subject but I don't consider that a bad thing. I have no problem with other people eating meat, and would never try to impose my views on meat-eaters. Though when I tell people I'm a vegetarian I usually find they respond with some "oh no, don't start lecturing me" type comment. In reality, they are the ones who do all the lecturing... there are even some weird people around who will try to bribe/persuade/trick you into eating meat, I'm not sure of their motivation at all. Each to their own, I say.

As for other animal products, my shoes are all synthetic or other alternatives apart from one pair of boots which were my mother's and I want to keep hold of. I agree with MoonArcanum that leather sofas etc are a no-no for me, regardless of my vegetarianism. At the moment I'm cutting down my dairy with a view to one day switching to a vegan diet; the only thing I have any problem with is cheese :(
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Tbh, I kind of have issues with drinking milk too as it is the bodily fliud of a cow and it comes out their nipples and I have similar gross issues with eggs but I still eat eggs/ drink milk.... I don't want to think about it too much as it would probably turn me vegan.

Aw dude, thinking about the permitable levels of puss and blood in my milk is nearly putting me off my cheerios, nearly... Ew, I'm eating cow juice, yak. For some reason it seems more gross to me than eating meat, which I'm fine with. Though growing up I was a veggie for a fair few years. One of my parents is an omni, the other a veggie. Being an omni didn't bug the veggie at all, but being a veggie narked the hell outta my Mom ;d ah the satisfying annoyance quality of lentils...
  • Options
    why would some veggies eat fish though? surely that's not being a proper vegetarian. i know someone who just won't eat red meat. wtf?

I was a full vegetarian from 9-15 although now I eat fish, chicken and turkey. I don't eat red meat, and don't feel I need to explain my eating preferences to other people. It's my own choice for various reasons eg health, hygiene, religion.

I don't describe myself as a vegetarian but sometimes it's easier too, as at some restaurants, the only meat they serve is cheap red stuff.
  • Options
    I have been veggie for 11 years, since I was nine. The biggest reason is that I just find the idea of eating an animal disgusting and there is nothing about meat that ever appeals to me at all. It isn't necessary for me to eat meat and I just hate the idea of it.

I do care about animal rights to an extent, but I value human life above animal life. So if I was starving on a desert island, I would eat meat.
    Though when I tell people I'm a vegetarian I usually find they respond with some "oh no, don't start lecturing me" type comment. In reality, they are the ones who do all the lecturing... there are even some weird people around who will try to bribe/persuade/trick you into eating meat, I'm not sure of their motivation at all. Each to their own, I say.

This is so true! A lot of the time when you tell people you are vegetarian, it seems as though they have to justify why you shouldn't be and why it is okay for them to eat meat. For a lot of vegetarians, not eating meat or animal products is a dietary choice, like someone choosing not to eat fast food or something.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I think someone who eats fish but not other meat is a pesco-vegetarian or pescatarian. Then there are the pollo-vegetarians (a different kettle of...er, chicken) who I find incredibly annoying though I know a large number of them. I call them picky-arians... which they don't like ;)

why do they bother you?
  • Options
    O_o wrote:
    why do they bother you?

They don't "bother me", as such. Certainly pescatarians don't.

I just don't fully understand why they feel the need to label themselves as such... or say they're "a vegetarian, but I eat hotdogs and tuna" as one of my best friends does. I can definitely understand in terms of restaurant dining etc [where we "picky" people have to stick together, heh], as a previous poster said, but I've often found it played as some kind of superiority card over people who choose to eat any given meat at any given time.

But, whatever ;)