Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

well can't believe noone else posted this...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Had action been taken sooner, he could have stood trial at the United Nations international criminal tribunal for Rwanda, sitting in Arusha, Tanzania. But no new indictments are being issued so that the tribunal's work can be completed by 2008.

this has been quoted from the news link that wheresmyplacebo posted in the opening post of this thread, much complaint about why the UK isnt doing anything about them

when infact the only reason people are looking at the UK to do something, is because the international criminal court are being lax and trying to save money and time.

So if things had been followed up correctly, then the situation we are discussing now, wouldnt have come about. Just because he is in our country now, why should we have to do anything about it.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    So we should use torture then? A bit of nail pulling, electrodes on the balls.... do you have any moral objections to that sort of thing?
    When used on people who have been found guilty of committing dangerous crimes, no, not really. What I object to is using torture to get hold of information, for instance the extraordinary rendition that the USA has allegedly been practising in recent years.
  • Options
    are you sure that then wont just piss someone off enough with the state, to make them go kill again, as a sort of payback for years of torture they indured in prison, and torturing hardly makes the state better than the murder/rapist etc
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    When used on people who have been found guilty of committing dangerous crimes, no, not really. What I object to is using torture to get hold of information, for instance the extraordinary rendition that the USA has allegedly been practising in recent years.

I'm actually quite surprised, I assumed you were reactionary and right-wing, but to suggest the use of torture as a means of punishment, there arent many countries which would agree with you. At least not many countries you'd want to live in anyway.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    are you sure that then wont just piss someone off enough with the state, to make them go kill again, as a sort of payback for years of torture they indured in prison, and torturing hardly makes the state better than the murder/rapist etc
    Maybe you're right. The risk of re-offending would suddenly recede greatly with the impediment of being dead.
  • Options
    then theres the whole issue of "shit we killed another innocent one again"

and anyways i thought we were on about torture, not actual executions
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    this has been quoted from the news link that wheresmyplacebo posted in the opening post of this thread, much complaint about why the UK isnt doing anything about them

when infact the only reason people are looking at the UK to do something, is because the international criminal court are being lax and trying to save money and time.

So if things had been followed up correctly, then the situation we are discussing now, wouldnt have come about. Just because he is in our country now, why should we have to do anything about it.

because it says a lot about holding known genocidal conspirators, our government could at least be trying to push for the due process which should of been done by now

use some of our influence to get an indictment etc

dont you feel ashamed to be in a country that has people known to have carried genocide, and we aren't doing anything to get them to stand trial for their supposed crimes for which there is hundreds of witness statements
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    then theres the whole issue of "shit we killed another innocent one again"... and anyways i thought we were on about torture, not actual executions
    Important issue, I'd agree with that. We can't be putting innocent people to death. Such a thing would damage confidence in the system. Of course, no one has any confidence in the system as it stands either.
  • Options
    the problem with the world these days, especially in the UK
    is that these big moral issues dont effect people on the street level

the problem with society these days, is that it degenerates, because its no longer any use being able to survive purely on moral fibre, and with less and less of it, we begin a downward and continuous cycle that we cant get out of

i am bothered that i live in a country that is doing nothing about it, the reason i questioned people in here, is because i want to make sure due process is followed and the UK doesnt become as bad in moral terms as rwanda, or at least avoid the downward spiral that will lead us there

truth is, people look out for themselves, and only for others if it then benefits them, yes there are nice people in the world, but too few to help the too many, thats what really makes me sad
  • Options
    Fuck's SAKE!

Tony Blair is a MASS MURDERER!

Why the fuck would he be interested in creating any sort of system of justice?
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    the problem with the world these days, especially in the UK
    is that these big moral issues dont effect people on the street level

the problem with society these days, is that it degenerates, because its no longer any use being able to survive purely on moral fibre, and with less and less of it, we begin a downward and continuous cycle that we cant get out of

i am bothered that i live in a country that is doing nothing about it, the reason i questioned people in here, is because i want to make sure due process is followed and the UK doesnt become as bad in moral terms as rwanda, or at least avoid the downward spiral that will lead us there

truth is, people look out for themselves, and only for others if it then benefits them, yes there are nice people in the world, but too few to help the too many, thats what really makes me sad

:crying: i agree :(

think ill email the new foriegn secretery to see if the government is thinking of doing anything
  • Options
    :crying: i agree :(

think ill email the new foriegn secretery to see if the government is thinking of doing anything

as will i, i think i will go type a letter out and send one as well

ps. first time in a while im posting regualrly on issues in p&d, believe im getting my form back :)
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Maybe you're right. The risk of re-offending would suddenly recede greatly with the impediment of being dead.

Why dont we just kill all those convicted of any crime then.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

why dont we kill all likely victims of crime then criminals would not have any one to target.

Also if we suddenly carpet bombed the centre of most towns at kicking out time, alcohol related crime would suddenly drop
  • Options
    Why not send a postcard to the next major serial killer to hit the headlines, see if he'll stop?

Or write to the man who robbed your house asking him to spend the cash he made wisely?

Jesus.

Seems fair to me. As long as the law applies equally to everyone with no excuses and you can prove jurisdiction.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    why dont we kill all likely victims of crime then criminals would not have any one to target.

Also if we suddenly carpet bombed the centre of most towns at kicking out time, alcohol related crime would suddenly drop

I'm being glib of course, but that's basically what SG is suggesting, he's further right than the BNP.

SG; If I'm not mistaken you're thinking of doing politics at Uni, if so you really need to notice that the World isnt as black and white as you think.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I'm being glib of course, but that's basically what SG is suggesting, he's further right than the BNP.

SG; If I'm not mistaken you're thinking of doing politics at Uni, if so you really need to notice that the World isnt as black and white as you think.

cause if the world was black and white, it would be easier to spot the racists, no more confusion over yellows and oranges etc
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    No, I don't believe the world is black and white and I resent you implying that I do.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    No, I don't believe the world is black and white and I resent you implying that I do.

well i resent the fact that you appear to be making it blatenly obvious that you do view the world in black and white, especially from the narrowminded and conflicting views you are posting
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    well i resent the fact that you appear to be making it blatenly obvious that you do view the world in black and white, especially from the narrowminded and conflicting views you are posting
    We've been through this already.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

It just seems to me that you dont realise there are shades, that issues are more complex than just 'sling em out' or 'they're criminals they deserve to be treated badly'.

I just dont think you really have any experience with criminals or prison and until you do you wont understand that torture or degrading treatment is wrong regardless of what the person has done.