Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Easter holidays - Aladdin

Given your previous comments on seperating Church and State I presume you are against having bank holidays because of Easter and will be making a moral stance and working?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You said the words yourself- "bank holiday". It is a public holiday and all retailing and financial services close.

My shop is closing too tomorrow and on Monday. I have no say about that.

But I'd be happy to work over Easter if I was asked to- so long as I was given 2 extra holiday days to take elsewher
  • Options
    You lucky bastards get two extra days off, I don't even get that. :p Gonna have to be in at work tomorrow afternoon, then again Monday afternoon.
  • Options
    What do you do?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    What do you do?
    I work in a shop. So, I shouldn't really be surprised I have to work those days. But I'm still jealous of those who get a four-day weekend. :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I work in a shop. So, I shouldn't really be surprised I have to work those days. But I'm still jealous of those who get a four-day weekend. :p

I work part time in a shop but am only contracted to do Sundays and Monday nights – shop obv isn’t open Sunday but I don’t have to work Monday and I still get paid for it...If I did decide to work Monday I’d be getting paid on top of my usual for working Monday. Anyway, since Monday is a Bank Holiday I think you should be getting the same deal? I always thought working on a Bank Hol was optional?
  • Options
    I work part time in a shop but am only contracted to do Sundays and Monday nights – shop obv isn’t open Sunday but I don’t have to work Monday and I still get paid for it...If I did decide to work Monday I’d be getting paid on top of my usual for working Monday. Anyway, since Monday is a Bank Holiday I think you should be getting the same deal? I always thought working on a Bank Hol was optional?
    Not for me. Our contract states the working week is Monday-Sunday, at normal pay rates. That includes bank holidays too, I don't get paid a penny extra for it, which is a bloody disgrace. Not to worry. If I find and get any other job soon, I'm handing in my resignation. Frankly, I want better.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    But I'm still jealous of those who get a four-day weekend. :p

Apropos of nothing, I have a four day weekend.

Winner.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Apropos of nothing, I have a four day weekend. Winner.
    Bet you're feeling even more smug than usual now. :p
  • Options
    I work tomorrow then finish until Thursday! Wooooo!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I don't work!

Bugger!
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Not for me. Our contract states the working week is Monday-Sunday, at normal pay rates. That includes bank holidays too, I don't get paid a penny extra for it, which is a bloody disgrace. Not to worry. If I find and get any other job soon, I'm handing in my resignation. Frankly, I want better.

:eek2: Yup, you're right to want better, you deserve better and other employers should give a better deal than that.
  • Options
    i have a month off ;D
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Bet you're feeling even more smug than usual now. :p

Nah, I work damn hard for my money and my holiday.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Apropos of nothing, I have a four day weekend.

Winner.

Yep :D
  • Options
    I always used to work over Easter weekend... But then I worked behind bars.
  • Options
    Got five day weekend using half a days leave :D
  • Options
    3 weeks! :p
  • Options
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    3 weeks! :p
    Five weeks!
    Nearly over :grump:
  • Options
    4 weeks and revising during the lot of it :mad:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    You said the words yourself- "bank holiday". It is a public holiday and all retailing and financial services close.

My shop is closing too tomorrow and on Monday. I have no say about that.

But I'd be happy to work over Easter if I was asked to- so long as I was given 2 extra holiday days to take elsewher

But the holidays are there specifically because of the Christian theme, which if I'm not mistaken is The Church having a say in what we can do, something you dont like.
  • Options
    Aladdin is happy for the Church to tell him he can have a Bank Holiday, but isn't so happy when the Church then say that shop workers get one too every Sunday.

C'est la vie.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    But the holidays are there specifically because of the Christian theme, which if I'm not mistaken is The Church having a say in what we can do, something you dont like.
    No, that's not quite it and you know it.

Easter is an official government holiday.

What do you want me to do? Write to my boss and ask him to ignore trading laws and to open? Or is this just a cheap shot for the sake of it?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Aladdin is happy for the Church to tell him he can have a Bank Holiday, but isn't so happy when the Church then say that shop workers get one too every Sunday.

C'est la vie.
    Nice try :lol:
  • Options
    Incidentally Kermit, seeing as you are a rabid strike hater and don't seem very concerned about workers' rights at all, I presume you would and will always refuse to take the day off on the May Day bank holiday.

Correct?

I'm sure that's the case. I couldn't possibly imagine you ever being so hypocritical as actually taking time off on such day...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    seeing as you are a rabid strike hater

News to me, what with a striking wife and all.
  • Options
    Yes, That was the only strike I ever remembered you supporting.
    Funny that.

London Underground and Heathorw airport workers, or just about every striking worker from the 1970s who happens to read this forum must be wishing your wife had worked in their industry too so they could count on your support instead of being constantly accused of skiving off or simply fancying a day sunbathing in the park.
  • Options
    Easter Day and Christmas Day have been the only days my workplace has closed in the last 12 months and I think it'll soon be down to just Christmas and opening 9:30-7 on Sundays. Sigh.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Yes, That was the only strike I ever remembered you supporting.
    Funny that.

London Underground and Heathorw airport workers, or just about every striking worker from the 1970s who happens to read this forum must be wishing your wife had worked in their industry too so they could count on your support instead of being constantly accused of skiving off or simply fancying a day sunbathing in the park.

To be fair the council workers had somewhat of a case unlike the scum at BA. BA workers went on strike illegally and not only that the dispute had absolutely nothing to do with BA – nor did it affect the BA workers in question, the strike was simply in ‘sympathy’ of some friends at a completely separate company. Unless you want to return to the gloomy days of the 70s and the winter of discontent such illegal strikes are indefensible. The council workers had a gripe with their employer, they weren’t going on strike in ‘sympathy’ of supermarket workers or some other separate group.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    No, that's not quite it and you know it.

Easter is an official government holiday.

What do you want me to do? Write to my boss and ask him to ignore trading laws and to open? Or is this just a cheap shot for the sake of it?

Cheap shot? That's a bit harsh, I just thought it interesting in relation to your usual stance with The Church and the State.

It seems I'm not the only one who reads your posts about religion as being hardline. But like I said I dont want this to sound like I am having a go. I just think you (intentionally or otherwise) come across as someone who is anti-religion and anti-faith.