Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Settling down

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hellfire wrote:
    Me, Im leaving the south, its horrible down here, Moving to scotland for various reasons, except for glasgow scotland is a lovely country :D
    And this is coming from a guy from Essex who wants to move to PAISLEY?

Sweet Christ.
  • Options
    olaola wrote:
    i'd advise south. You wont want to end up in Scotland!

Twat. Scotland is a great country.

I'd be very happy to continue living and working in Edinburgh after university. It's a beautiful city, with great nightlife and great people. I've always felt very welcome and safe here as well, which is a bonus if you're planning on having a family.

Only thing would be leaving family and friends in Ireland but there's good cheap flights home, and it's not that far if you want to take a car by ferry so I wouldn't think it'd be much of a problem.

And Briggi, Newcastle (N. Ireland) is a nice spot. Nice seaside location especially with the mountain backdrop and all. I remember a few weekends there when I was wee and I loved it. Haven't been there in years though.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    And Briggi, Newcastle (N. Ireland) is a nice spot. Nice seaside location especially with the mountain backdrop and all. I remember a few weekends there when I was wee and I loved it. Haven't been there in years though.

It really is lovely ... I think it's as perfect as I'll find location-wise. I haven't been for a couple of years, but I've got top memories of the time I've spent there.

My second choice would be slightly different... I've got my sights on the flat above the Burger King. :cool:

rbahn3.jpg#

Scotland is lovely, it's England I'm trying to escape from. :p
  • Options
    Grew up in the tiny lame town of less than 18,000 people. Knew from the get go I was going to leave. Then came age 18 and I did. Then came Chicago. Close enough to my parents in case I wanted to visit, far enough away from all the bullshit. Thought about other places, always wanted to try different places out, but now I'm off in the suburbs and it looks like I'm here to stay. Home ownership and jobs and all that stuff that gets you to stay.
  • Options
    I Love Edinburgh with all my being, but I now live in Aberdeen (for the forseeable future) and I have built my own life here away from the comforts of home. However, this way I have learnt how to get the difficult stuff dealt with gained my independence and generally grown up. But Edinburgh will always be my home, it's a stunning city (even in crap weather) and I miss it and the people I know there.
    I guess everyone choses their own path in life depending on what they want but I don't think realistically I'd want to live outside of Scotland (A Wallace born and bred :yes: ).
  • Options
    I never settle down, I just go wherever life direct me to...
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:

Sweet Christ.

Nobody wants to move to Paisley. I'm desperately trying to get out!

Essex for the summer, Aberdeen after that.

Long term plans... I would LOVE to move to Australia, maybe Melbourne or Brisbane. Don't know if it will be possible though. See how things go.

I don't think I could stand going back to where I grew up, Isle of Arran.
    It's a great place for kids up to the age of about 11 or 12 but I'd drive me insane! I only just survived being there until I was 18 :p
  • Options
    being realistic, i wouldn't mind a nice 2 or 3 bed flat in stratford, or camden, or somewhere not too bad but not expencive in london.

i spent the majority of my life in norwich and there is no way i'd ever go back and live there. it takes longer to get there from london than it does to get to southern spain.
  • Options
    only been to edinburgh once but i thought it was an amazing place. I do kind of like where i am now though
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:

Sweet Christ.
    No i want to move to aberdeen, I hate paisley, its junkieville, BUT i would live there if my gf still lived there,

aberdeen ftw :yes:
  • Options
    I get itchy feet ... can't really stay a couple of years in one place without needing to move on. I've travelled quite a lot and hope to again. At the moment i'm faced with leaving uni and need to work out where i'm going to set up shop for a while.

At the moment it looks like moving back home for 6 months to save and go travelling/pick a city and start over again new job and mates etc/or there's an opportunity for me in New York for a year, apartment and job sorted.

I don't really know, torn between travelling and new york. I can't imagine settling down yet, let alone where. Too much to see and too many people to meet.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Twat. Scotland is a great country.

Except the poor diet, poor weather, lack of jobs, low life expectancy, violent crime, higher rates of alcohol and drug abuse.....
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Except the poor diet, poor weather, lack of jobs, low life expectancy, violent crime, higher rates of alcohol and drug abuse.....
    And that goes for everyone in Scotland I assume? God forbid that English people might have drug addictions, crime and a poor diet!
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

Draw what you like from statistics, most of which are heavily influenced by populations in Glasgow (murder capital of western Europe), but I'm yet to find a city as nice as Edinburgh. Most of your statistics aren't worth mentioning anyway, because e.g. where Scotland may have one of worst diets in Europe, England isn't too far behind at all, same with life expectancy. Statistics about violence etc are localized regionally as well. I guarantee many regions in England suffer more than Edinburgh in these statistics.

I presume you think London is the dog's bollocks, in fact I know you do from other threads. Londoners and their attitude to the rest of the UK reminds me of ignorant Americans and their attitude to the rest of the world. London is an embarrassment of a capital city. I remember the Times did an indepth article comparing the major capitals of the world and London scored considerably lower than others on most scales with one sticking in the mind which showed it to be the most unfriendly of all cities. So yea, you have a few more jobs down there, and it's 2 degrees warmer in the summer, but it's full of unlikeable cunts. My sister lived there for 2 years and I never liked much about it - just big and grey, with little of interest. The only reason I'd consider it would be a good job, but the cost of living would soon see that that advantage swiftly disappears. So no, I probably wouldn't live there, even if you paid me alot of money.
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:
    I get itchy feet ... can't really stay a couple of years in one place without needing to move on. I've travelled quite a lot and hope to again. At the moment i'm faced with leaving uni and need to work out where i'm going to set up shop for a while.

At the moment it looks like moving back home for 6 months to save and go travelling/pick a city and start over again new job and mates etc/or there's an opportunity for me in New York for a year, apartment and job sorted.

I don't really know, torn between travelling and new york. I can't imagine settling down yet, let alone where. Too much to see and too many people to meet.
    i say take the opportunity in new york because you might not get it again. then when you have work experience and living in new york under your belt you can go travelling if you still want to.
  • Options
    I want out of the UK... But if I can't, either Manchester, or somewhere up North. I LOVE London but it's so expensive.
  • Options
    I want out of the UK... But if I can't, either Manchester, or somewhere up North. I LOVE London but it's so expensive.
    newcastle
  • Options
    i wanna stay in lincoln and settle down with my boyfriend here after uni. He's grown up here and lived here all his life, so it makes sense to stay.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Glasgow has the highest murder rate in Western Europe, I'm told.
    Addict wrote:
    ...The Times did an indepth article comparing the major capitals of the world and London scored considerably lower than others on most scales with one sticking in the mind which showed it to be the most unfriendly of all cities... just big and grey, with little of interest.
    There's some things about London I love - loads to see, for instance. What I don't love at all is the congestion, being packed in like cattle whenever you use the Tube, the constant noise and pollution... I used to love it, now I hate it.

Earlier in the thread, I said I might move there. I've changed my mind. I'll probably end up either in a city in South England or somewhere like Manchester, and stay there.
  • Options
    I want to move away from where I live, but at the same time, I'd definately miss family that I have here.

The uni I want to go to is ooooop north, but I could never see myself settling up there. The career I want is mainly based in major cities, especially London and stuff so I guess I'll have to live there. It doesn't bother me too much, because I've always found the idea of living in the capital quite appealing, minus the pollution of course.