Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Essex Girls

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Ffs leave of Essex for a second kplz ;( There ARE good towns - Colchester is pretty ace.

I live here... oh wait, that isn't a plus.
    I agree, colchester is a pretty smart town :)
  • Options
    Lolzabeth wrote:
    So...flaming the noob is bad but turn it into yet another flame Hellfire thread and everythings good again... :yeees:

I don't agree with flaming but when Hellfire (who has the worst grasp of there/their/they're ever) starts being harsh on someone for spelling and grammar, it does come across as stupidly hypocritical.
  • Options
    there are decent quality slags all over england,why should essex take all the credit? :D:lol:
  • Options
    Violette wrote:
    i think you're all losers for having a go. you're allowed to type in pink text and she was only asking a question. jesus. some of you are narky bastards.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    wtf, im on about chantelle so stfu

Sorry but people on thesite.org would gladly appreciate it if you could refrain from using 'txt tlk' in your post please!!!

HYPOCRITICAL OR WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
  • Options
    I'm not being funny or anything Hellfire but why do you hate Essex girls so much? Don't you live in Essex? Isn't your girlfriend from Essex?
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    Isn't your girlfriend from Essex?

Nope, Paisley unfortunately...
  • Options
    actually "wtf" and "stfu" is NET talk, please.. I would not insult myself by using the dirty language of txt talk

n00b
  • Options
    Lolzabeth wrote:
    Nope, Paisley unfortunately...
    oh sorry, i still thought he was going out with that american bird
  • Options
    that ended bout months before I even started seeing lolzabeth
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    actually "wtf" and "stfu" is NET talk, please.. I would not insult myself by using the dirty language of txt talk

n00b

no, you might find that NET talk, is just text talk used online

if i wanted to write what the fuck in a text, i would actually probly use wtf to save space if i needed to
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hellfire wrote:

n00b

Enough already - both of you. Stay on topic please.
  • Options
    difference is,

things like wtf, lol, lmao, stfu were used online and in gaming first,

things like
    u, 2, lyk and shit like that were first used in text messages,

its just were it originates from
  • Options
    thing is lol, stfu, wtf were used by kids through texting, the ones who dont play online games, who never have and probly never will

so you can say for definate that they are mutually exclusive

and im very sorry helen, but for once id rather not stay on topic, one of my best friends is an essex girl, and a very well behaved and pleasant one at that

id rather not go around calling essex girls useless and slaggy
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Ffs leave of Essex for a second kplz ;( There ARE good towns - Colchester is pretty ace.

I live here... oh wait, that isn't a plus.

Colchester is better than Braintree.
    But Colchester isn't as nice as Chelmsford.
    I live in one of those places, worked in another and regulary travel to another.

The typical 'Essex Girl' stereotype generally happens between the age of 15-19 when little girls start sneaking into the clubs. The worst case of Essex Girl Syndrome is at the themed parties - Slappadrome or Essex Uni. This is my personal opinion though. I've met a few lovely lasses at the Slappadrome (who I admit did dress up as school girl/beach babe/nurse etc) but that's a minority. Embarrassingly though, I think Colchester's 'Essex Girls' kind of stop at 17ish (college age) and turn into emo/punk/grunge..atleast for a year or two (personal experiences). Then I praise the Lord when the odd few round college turn up in boots, mini skirts and short tops! Mmmm sexy skin :)

Uhr, I don't actually go to college anymore, but go there more than enough to keep my sweeping statement alive. Huzzah!

PS: Franki doesn't live in Braintree because I've never, ever seen her.
  • Options
    Hey, I didn't say all are, it is possible for people to break away from the sterotype,

anyway, kinda on topic, how DID the essex girl thing get started anyway?
  • Options
    outside of the topic, i dunno

inside the topic
    hellfire wrote:
  • Options
    Seeing as I haven't actually repied to the OP yet and I'm in kind of a good mood today...

Stereotypes are just that. There's sterotypical "Essex girls" everywhere. There's one in my class at uni and she's never been anywhere near Essex. Loud, obnoxious, wears clothes about 3 sizes too small for her *shudders*, thick as two short planks etc etc...
    The girls that live up to the "Essex girl" stereotype mentality, wherever they're from, do my nut in! Other than that, the girls I've met the 3 times I've actually been to Essex seemed nice enough :)
  • Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex_girl

Edit: Just seen the video for SOS on MTV Base. Short skirt..all that dancing...yummy! [/random]
  • Options
    Lolzabeth wrote:
    Seeing as I haven't actually repied to the OP yet and I'm in kind of a good mood today...

Stereotypes are just that. There's sterotypical "Essex girls" everywhere. There's one in my class at uni and she's never been anywhere near Essex. Loud, obnoxious, wears clothes about 3 sizes too small for her *shudders*, thick as two short planks etc etc...
    The girls that live up to the "Essex girl" stereotype mentality, wherever they're from, do my nut in! Other than that, the girls I've met the 3 times I've actually been to Essex seemed nice enough :)

i think thats half the problem, you cant have an essex girl mentality, if you have never been anywhere near essex, i just call it tarty and slutty or disgusting at times, the girls i know from essex are some of the nicer ones i know
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    MrG wrote:

and im very sorry helen, but for once id rather not stay on topic, one of my best friends is an essex girl, and a very well behaved and pleasant one at that

id rather not go around calling essex girls useless and slaggy

lol - That's bang on topic.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    i think thats half the problem, you cant have an essex girl mentality, if you have never been anywhere near essex, i just call it tarty and slutty or disgusting at times, the girls i know from essex are some of the nicer ones i know

What I mean by "Essex girl mentality" is the kind of thing that's come through in the media with people like Jade Goody and Chantelle Whatserface. People that live up to their standards or, god forbid, base themselves around them, in my mind, have the "Essex girl mentality".
    I've come to think that "Essex girls" and girls from Essex are completely different. Essex girls don't have to be from Essex and girls from essex don't have to be "Essex girls".
    Am I even making sense? :p
  • Options
    Lolzabeth wrote:
    What I mean by "Essex girl mentality" is the kind of thing that's come through in the media with people like Jade Goody and Chantelle Whatserface. People that live up to their standards or, god forbid, base themselves around them, in my mind, have the "Essex girl mentality".
    I've come to think that "Essex girls" and girls from Essex are completely different. Essex girls don't have to be from Essex and girls from essex don't have to be "Essex girls".

i know exactly what you mean, but people easily swayed by the media mentality, get confused when you use the word essex in essex girls, its word association at its simplest level

whats even worse is when so called "essex girls" exceed expectations, the wrong way
  • Options
    Lolzabeth wrote:

Perfect sense, I agree completely. :thumb:

However...my brother and I met Jade Goody in a pub years back, and she was [deeply stupid, but] good craic.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Perfect sense, I agree completely. :thumb:

However...my brother and I met Jade Goody in a pub years back, and she was [deeply stupid, but] good craic.

:lol:
  • Options
    My name is Mustafa-Pea and I from Lebanon which is near Israel an we hear many thing about Essex grils. my fren say he love many essex grils and here in Lebanon we all love Essex grils, they very sexy n easy.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:

anyway, kinda on topic, how DID the essex girl thing get started anyway?

The "Essex Girl" thing started after the second world war when East Londoners filtered to Essex in search of a better lifestyle. There are many theories as to why the term came about. ome say it is through people not having enough money and therefore having to dress cheap and tacky. Others say it came about by people having too much money and therefore spending it on too many sunbeds (tongue in cheek phrase)!! However, i personally feel that it is unforunate for the rest of the women in this part of the country, like myself, to sometimes be placed into this stereotype just because of where our families chose to live. This is nowadays partly because of Media portrayal as others have said of people like Jodie Marsh and Chantelle from Celeb Big Bro!! Sadly "Essex Girl" have become Manhester Girls, London Girls, Bucks Girls and actually most-places-in-England Girls!!

STEREOTYPICAL NONSENSE is my personal opinion!! :D
  • Options
    SCREEAAMER wrote:
    I'm an English Language student...
    Suddenly, I feel my A-Level in English Literature is not worth as much as it used to be. :(
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Suddenly, I feel my A-Level in English Literature is not worth as much as it used to be. :(
    oh shut up Danny ;[
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    oh shut up Danny ;[
    On the topic of fake pirates...

On the topic of Essex girls, I think it's just a media stereotype. I hope no one quite as awful as that actually exists. (something similar could be said about the fake pirate that swarms the boards, couldn't it?) :p