Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

So what exactly would you be prepared to die for?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The UN peacekeeping force is made up of sovereign armies. The UN doesn't have its own army.

Defending the nation? Why are we in Iraq then? The last war we fought to defend our nation was in the Falklands, before that WWII.

It isn't unfair to compare Bush and Saddam. Both have callously and deliberately murdered Iraqi civilians for personal financial gain. And at least Saddam had an excuse.
  • Options
    Saddam delibaterly engaged in state sponsered torutre and murder. He had people rpaed, tortured and killed. Some for plotting to kill him, some for just cricising him.

Now you can hardly put Bush int he same league. All the cricis he has and I havent seen one go to prison even.

Not the same.

Indeed, the UN uses a volunteer force dependant on willing countries. Even then the UN doesn't control these troops. That nations invloved can call them back when they want.

Iraq is for a number of reason and its old ground to go over them again.
  • Options
    Bush has a camp full of 500 people being tortured for political reasons, for the record.

Just saying, like.
  • Options
    Saddam delibaterly engaged in state sponsered torutre and murder. He had people rpaed, tortured and killed. Some for plotting to kill him, some for just cricising him.

What "leader" doesn't do those things?
    Now you can hardly put Bush int he same league. All the cricis he has and I havent seen one go to prison even.

Anyone who doesn't do what Bush wants goes to jail. Fact. If you think otherwise, try taking a ton of heroin through La guardia.
    Not the same.

Bush and co have better PR. Still murdering scum. Even if it's legal.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    And guess which democratic, freedom-loving governments supported him and actually gave them the weapons to do it all...
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Guantanamo? Arbitrary arrest, incarceration without fair trial and torture are something both parties have practiced.
    That doesn't make what the American government are doing right though. In America they do have better freedom of speech than Iraq had, but then outside the country America is just as bad, if not maybe bordering worse than Saddam.

Ya gotta remember that in the West politics is completely different to the Middle East where, in a lot of countries Sharia law is present preventing freedom of speech like we have it here.
  • Options
    yes kilintcok fine, I accept your point of view from the perception of how you view the world lol.

Quantamo, while hardly a plesaure, isn't torture, well at leats not the same level of torture as Saddam.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    And guess which democratic, freedom-loving governments supported him and actually gave them the weapons to do it all...

that is such a mute point and I and others have explained that before.
  • Options
    So? It's still torture. The US government is no better than Saddam on moral principle, even if they haven't (yet) tortured and killed as many people.
  • Options
    Thats hardly a great thing is it then Moonrat??

The Americans have never been perfect but to say Bush is the same as Saddam is just naive.
  • Options
    yes kilintcok fine, I accept your point of view from the perception of how you view the world lol.

Is my perception true or false?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    that is such a mute point and I and others have explained that before.
    No you haven't. You cannot come here and start saying how illegal wars and invasions are okay because "at least Bush [i.e., the US government] is better than Saddam" when the US government was the one that supported Saddam for many years and actually gave him the chemical weapons and told him to use them as he pleased.
  • Options
    There is a difference between using stress postitions for the obtaining of information and having your wife/sister/daughter raped in front of you for the hell of it by the Presidents son.
  • Options
    The US government told Saddam where the Iranians were, and gave him the gas to do it. It's not a moot point- using a third party to commit genocide is still genocide.

Saddam used force to remain in power. All leaders do that- you don't even need klintock's view of the world to understand that. Blair fines and imprisons people who protest outside Parliament- did you forget that, or something?

What's your point about the rape? Torture is still torture, imprisonment for political reasons is still imprisonment for political reasons.

We do that too, you know. There's a big thing about the flights to Syria and Egypt, forgotten those?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

Quantamo, while hardly a plesaure, isn't torture, well at leats not the same level of torture as Saddam.

Sexual abuse, stress positions, sleep-deprivation, white noise, beatings... These all sound like torture to me.

In Guantanamo people are kept like animals, their faith and culture is spat on... They are dehumanised and treated like dogs.

Just because the physical harm for stress positions is of less damage than say... Branding somebody does not mean the long term psychological harm is any less.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    There is a difference between using stress postitions for the obtaining of information and having your wife/sister/daughter raped in front of you for the hell of it by the Presidents son.

However there is no difference in being beaten to death by American boots and fists and being beaten to death by Iraqi hands.

Is there?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    No you haven't. You cannot come here and start saying how illegal wars and invasions are okay because "at least Bush [i.e., the US government] is better than Saddam" when the US government was the one that supported Saddam for many years and actually gave him the chemical weapons and told him to use them as he pleased.

No they didn't, its not as simple as that. Man it is so easy to see the world in black and white as you do but it ain't like that.

They didn't say to use them as he pleased. In fact the cut ties when he did use them. But weapons are staus symbols and things that governments and scientists and militarys love to play around with, even if they never use them.

Saddam was not the person he was back then. He was an ally of us, helping out kuwait and prevention a war between the west and Iran who was extremely hostile at that time.

Shoud western governments help out other countries with weapons? No they shouldn't but its hardly justifuable to let Saddam get away with his tricks.

Also the biological and chamical materals used in the weaponary have other purposes of which can be used legally and morally by any regime and how is to say that a lot of this material wasn't meant for medical and scientific purposes.
  • Options
    Stress postitions are worse than torture for a fundamental reason.

If your physiology is changed then your mental state will change. If you are put into a cringing, supplicant position you will become one. If you are set in that position over and over again it will become your ground state of being.

Stand up, throw your shoulders back and smile and notice the change from being sat in front of the screen.

Wounds heal, this level of reprogramming (which will leave an effect but won't be understood by it's victims) will be near permanent. It's the destruction of a personality almost totally.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    However there is no difference in being beaten to death by American boots and fists and being beaten to death by Iraqi hands.

Is there?

incidences taken upon by the individuals soliders and this is the important difference NOT STATE SANCTIONED.
    and a beating is hardly the same as a rape either.
  • Options
    maybe.

but I'd choose the stress postion over having parts of my body cut over etc.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Thats hardly a great thing is it then Moonrat??

The Americans have never been perfect but to say Bush is the same as Saddam is just naive.
    Legally? Ethically?

Saddam gassed the Kurds over 20 years ago with weapons we sold him unless I'm mistaken. Sure Saddam has tortured, but so have we... Every potential dissident is on file somewhere with the government, now on marches we have police with cameras taking pictures of protestors (and trying to wind them up in my experience). MI5 have tortured people, the CIA have tortured people.

Bush's regime is slowly restricting civil liberties, destroyng the planet, fucking with internationa relations. What he has done is not the same as Saddam... But he has tortured people even during the war, some of which are technically stil kids... He has had daisy-cutters, clusterbombs and phosphorous dropped on civilian populated areas. We imposed sanctions on Iraq which probably killed just as many people as Saddam did...

So who really is the bad guy?
  • Options
    but I'd choose the stress postion over having parts of my body cut over etc.

I wouldn't.

You don't get your mind back. Broken bones mend, cuts heal, lacerations leave scar tissue, and the effects of feeling powerless can be fought and overcome if you ever escape.

To have your personality removed, your mind broken and spirit utterly crushed you cannot come back from easily especially if you don't knwo what has happened to you.
  • Options
    No but plane flights are nothing to get het up about.

What you want me to say?? That I agree with keeping this country and our allies secuirty as top priority for our citzens over other people that are terrorists??

then yes I do. Selfish it may be. Human it is.

The world works in its way, its not nice and nots pretty and no system is perfect and non1 is gonan get it perfect. Not me , not the antti-war lot, not saddam, not even you.

You make best with what you haev and do what you think is right. Simple as.
  • Options
    You make best with what you haev and do what you think is right. Simple as.

Bullshit.

You do what you are told or threats become promises and promises become violence.
  • Options
    they are used to break down at the time, I have seen no evidence for the long term implications you are stating.

though it is about time they get a move on sorting through the prisoners down there.

Moonrat, I'd liek to see some evidence for those atter claims.

Also, I knwo we sold them to him, should we have? Probably not. DId we know he do that with them? no. Did we condemn when he did? yes.

saddam killed his peopel with sanctions, not the west.

Though the favoured UN might have done a fair bit, skimming off the top og the programmes.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Bullshit.

You do what you are told or threats become promises and promises become violence.

and you don't thinkt he world needs some order??

even on the smallest level??

you'd do away with police and all law etc etc?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    What you want me to say?? That I agree with keeping this country and our allies secuirty as top priority for our citzens over other people that are terrorists??

Security is great.

Such a shame that this country is steadily undermining every security we have. The security to protest when things are wrong. The security to move freely and without interference.

And on a global scale, do you think kidnapping people and putting them in a torture camp- all the while shouting about how democratic you are- is a good idea?

Gitmo is the best recruitment agent there is for Islamic militias.
  • Options
    and you don't thinkt he world needs some order??

People are naturally orderly.
    you'd do away with police and all law etc etc?

Yep.
  • Options
    The US government is no better than Saddam on moral principle, even if they haven't (yet) tortured and killed as many people

And this is why people onthe anti-war left are not to be taken seriously.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    No they didn't, its not as simple as that. Man it is so easy to see the world in black and white as you do but it ain't like that.

They didn't say to use them as he pleased.
    Didn't they really?

They didn't appear to have any objections to his gassing of not only Iranian soldiers but also the Kurds.

In fact, they didn't give a shit at all.

And that's a fact.
    In fact the cut ties when he did use them.
    No they didn't. Research it carefully.
    Saddam was not the person he was back then. He was an ally of us, helping out kuwait and prevention a war between the west and Iran who was extremely hostile at that time.
    LOL!

So now you have become a brutal dictator apologist.

Like certain other people, for as long as they are useful to the West, all is forgiven eh?

:rolleyes: