Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

So what exactly would you be prepared to die for?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Saddam didn't get worse over time - he was always brutally abusing his own people and he invaded a neighbouring state as early as 1982.

It was only when he wasn't doing what we wanted anymore that we had a problem with him, it was nothing to do with morality.
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    Saddam didn't get worse over time - he was always brutally abusing his own people and he invaded a neighbouring state as early as 1982.

It was only when he wasn't doing what we wanted anymore that we had a problem with him, it was nothing to do with morality.

Exactly.

Get it in your head once and for all Walkindude.
  • Options
    He was not "our chum" when he was gassing kurs or even Iranians at all.

Saddam was always trouble yes, looking at his police files will tell you that but he did actually get worse over time, more paranoid, more encircled, more abusive of his people and wanting to rule the arab nations more. That is fact.
  • Options
    That's like saying Hitler "got worse" and so he started off as a good guy.

Jeebus. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    He was not "our chum" when he was gassing kurs or even Iranians at all.
    I'd suggest you research the issue a little better.
  • Options
    I have already and never read anything where it says we were supporting him 100% when we knew he was gassing kurds and iranians.
  • Options
    not really klintock, thos that have studied saddam have said he got owrse over time, more paranoid, more brutal, more secluded and so on.
  • Options
    Not an issue.

Totally irrelevent.

Did he start off as a nice, quiet guy, good to his mum and keeper of pets, or was he a heartless shit, murderer and alround evil motherfucker who no one sane would touch with a barge pole?

Learn to think ffs man.
  • Options
    Well he started off as a bit of a bad guy. Joining a speratist party, taking part in rebleiions, being exiled, getting tino fights in egypt, coming back, taking over the party, ruling the country and so on.

its his actions in office that changed so my staement was accurate.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Saddam_rumsfeld.jpg

And I could post pictures of Chirac shaking his hands. Come to that I could post pictures of the Queen shaking hands with various Communist leaders - doesn't mean the Queen supported communism. Mugabe has shaken hands with Straw and Prince Charles - hardly shows they're supporters of Mugabe's land grab.

You meet a foreign head of state, you shake hands with him. Its diplomacy.
  • Options
    its his actions in office that changed so my staement was accurate.

From day one he was an evil tyrant. He was an evil bastard long before he got there as well.

It invalidates your entire point.
  • Options
    very true that NQA.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    From day one he was an evil tyrant. He was an evil bastard long before he got there as well.

It invalidates your entire point.

He was born evil?
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    Simple - the Ba'athist party coup in Iraq, and the subsequent Ba'athist government was supported by the West because the government it overthrew was pro-Soviet.

After the Ayatollahs took charge in Iran, of course, Saddam then became the West's golden boy for a while because he provided a buttress against militant Islamic fundamentalism.

Well the Soviets weren't too pissed by Saddam either

1973 Soviet Arms sales to Iraq 1.3bn, US 0
    1980 Soviet 1.65 bn US 0
    1988 Soviet 1.2 bn US 125m
  • Options
    >sigh<
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    And I could post pictures of Chirac shaking his hands. Come to that I could post pictures of the Queen shaking hands with various Communist leaders - doesn't mean the Queen supported communism. Mugabe has shaken hands with Straw and Prince Charles - hardly shows they're supporters of Mugabe's land grab.

You meet a foreign head of state, you shake hands with him. Its diplomacy.
    Are you really denying NQA that Saddam Hussein was a key ally of the British and US governments for many years and that we supported him wholeheartedly during the Iraq-Iran war and supplied with all kind of weapons including WMDs?

It's all a matter of record and beyond any doubt. I hope you're not going to turn into some kind of lunatic neocon revisionist all of the sudden.
  • Options
    Well I knew we suppotred him during Iraq-Iran war and gave him weapons. Never denied it.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I would be fighting individual men and women who hold a crackpot belief that wearing similar outfits makes you part of something larger. So I wouldn't be fighting an "army" i would be fighting individuals who thought there was.

There are only ever individual men and women.

Off topic so appologies: Are you a fan of the works Jean-Jacques Rousseau at all? If not i think you'd really enjoy reading some of his books
  • Options
    Yes you have. You have been intermittently saying that either he wasn't our friend and ally at all, or that our support for him ended when he starting gassing and killing all those people.

Both suppositions are entirely false. He was Britain and America's golden boy in the Middle East as Voodoo Ray has appropriately described it, and he continued to be so after he used chemical weapons on the Iranians and the Kurds.

Don't pretend it was any different.
  • Options
    If you give a known killer guns then your culpable in his subsequent murders.
  • Options
    Off topic so appologies: Are you a fan of the works Jean-Jacques Rousseau at all? If not i think you'd really enjoy reading some of his books

I haven't. Thank you for the tip. :)
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Well the Soviets weren't too pissed by Saddam either

1973 Soviet Arms sales to Iraq 1.3bn, US 0
    1980 Soviet 1.65 bn US 0
    1988 Soviet 1.2 bn US 125m

So they were willing to trade with Iraq, do you think that makes them allies?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I haven't. Thank you for the tip. :)

No worries, I'm reading a condensed version of "The Social Contract" at the moment. I reckon it'd be really up your street.
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    So they were willing to trade with Iraq, do you think that makes them allies?

If you sell weapons to someone its usually a good sign that you're not hostile to them.

And of course it depends what you mean by allies. The surest sign of alliance is sending troops to support them - they obviously weren't that strong allies as there were no Soviet troops in Iraq, but then there weren't any US forces there.

So the US supplies hardly any weaponary, puts no soldiers on the ground, doesn't provide any serious training and is part of a multi-national forces protecting tankers from both Iraq and Iran.

Two years after the end of the Iran-Iraq war it leads a multi-national force against Saddam.

Well, I'm not sure if the USSR was an ally (probably not), but I'm even less convinced the US was.
  • Options
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

That looks like exactly the book i'm currently reading! :D
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    If you sell weapons to someone its usually a good sign that you're not hostile to them.

And of course it depends what you mean by allies. The surest sign of alliance is sending troops to support them - they obviously weren't that strong allies as there were no Soviet troops in Iraq, but then there weren't any US forces there.

So the US supplies hardly any weaponary, puts no soldiers on the ground, doesn't provide any serious training and is part of a multi-national forces protecting tankers from both Iraq and Iran.
    Surely as a military man you shold know there many different ways of providing support.

Intelligence for instance is a priceless aid.

Some would say chemical weapons and know-how on their production are also a valuable asset to be given by the helpful yanks.

The US has played a critical and all-important role in overthrowing democracies and regimes all over the world without providing a single soldier and not much in the way of weapons at all (Latin America being a prime example). It's certainly not as simple as producing a weapons inventory and see who has sold the more bullets to a tyrant. I suspect the US was a far more important and critical ally to Saddam Hussein than anyone else, even if the Americans didn't sell him as many conventional weapons as others.
  • Options
    i'm not sure Klintock would be such a huge fan of Rousseau to be honest! For example, Rousseau was not a fan of the institution of private property...

I'm not sure how that fits with Klintock's position!

I'm not sure he'll agree with all of it either, still it'd be boring to read a whole book agreeing with everything put forward.

I think there are a number of sections on acquisition by force and slavery that he'd enjoy though.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Surely as a military man you shold know there many different ways of providing support.

Intelligence for instance is a priceless aid.

Some would say chemical weapons and know-how on their production are also a valuable asset to be given by the helpful yanks.

The US has played a critical and all-important role in overthrowing democracies and regimes all over the world without providing a single soldier and not much in the way of weapons at all (Latin America being a prime example). It's certainly not as simple as producing a weapons inventory and see who has sold the more bullets to a tyrant. I suspect the US was a far more important and critical ally to Saddam Hussein than anyone else, even if the Americans didn't sell him as many conventional weapons as others.

What intelligence? Did it provide training to Iraqi forces? Even the WMD equipment was dual use, with emphasis on the word dual and much of it had been supplied to many other countries as well as Iraq and plenty of other countries were also inmvolved in selling them chemicals etc.

We know the US undertook operations against Iran and its allies (such as Hezbollah), but then so did the USSR. The fact of a common enemy doesn't make people allies.

You may suspect a lot - it doesn't mean its true and the evidence we do know (eg weapon's sales, the liberation of Kuwait) does not paint a picture of two regimes which were chummy.

Now you're probably right if you're saying that the US didn't give a fuck about Saddam when he was torturing and killing his own people, but that's a different thing from saying he was there key ally (which also ignores that Saudi, Kuwait, Oman, the UAE, and in later years Egypt were much closer to the US, to say nothing of Israel).