Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Budget 2006 is upon us

Doing this thread because... well, I couldn't resist. :p

I'm gutted that Chancellor Gordon Brown chose to put the budget this year on March 22nd, as I'm going be out all day tomorrow. What a shame. I won't be able to watch it on the TV and laugh as he squirms in the Commons whilst reading the lastest growth figures. Neither will I be able to look on in befuddlement as he starts all this management-speak that means nothing to anyone.

Now, we don't know exactly what's in the budget yet, so far we only know one or two bits. My mum's already told me that the Family Allowance, which she gets for my sister and brother, is going up as she's received a letter telling her so. Meantime, there will almost certainly be a rise in the state pension, (a derisory rise of course - this isn't an Election year, is it?) and taxation on fuel is likely to remain frozen. Also, here's hoping for massive increases on the taxes payable for alcohol and tobacco products.

What do you reckon will be in there tomorrow?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i believe also that there will be lots of babble, but its actually the correct terminology for what he's talking about
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    i believe also that there will be lots of babble, but its actually the correct terminology for what he's talking about
    The one problem with Gordon Brown, aside from his theft of £5billion from private pensions every year, is the fact he sometimes slips seamlessly into managerial techno-speak, which is utterly impenetrable and meaningless to the public. He's not alone, though - Patricia Hewitt does exactly the same thing.
  • Options
    Fuck all for me.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    YAY.

We get to find out how much money has gone missing and how much is wasted. WOO.
  • Options
    The bidget this year is not the for front of monet matters in politics. i am more interested in how much money Labour will have to pay back in this ongoing Loans "scandal" if it can be called one. They may not even be able to pay for anything in the next election, which would be amusing!
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    The bidget this year is not the for front of monet matters in politics. i am more interested in how much money Labour will have to pay back in this ongoing Loans "scandal" if it can be called one. They may not even be able to pay for anything in the next election, which would be amusing!
    Knowing how many freebies Tony Blair and his dreadful wife have picked up over their time in Downing Street, I'm sure they can go to their cronies and get some freebies for the Labour Party too.
  • Options
    9p increase on fags.

I pay enough as it is :grump:
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    9p increase on fags.

I pay enough as it is :grump:

Not to mention 4p on wine and 1p on beers.

Good job I love my spirits tbh.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Not to mention 4p on wine and 1p on beers.

Good job I love my spirits tbh.

Yeah that don't bother me.

Cider is a spirit right?!
  • Options
    9p increase on fags.

I'd just like to thank the jaw dropping wonder that is Gordon Brown for this boost to my income.

Thank you, you fascist piece of shit.
  • Options
    And yet not enough road tax increase on gas-guzzlers... £210 annual tax is not going to feel like too much to someone who has spent £51,000 on a Range Rover Vogue... Hopefully local authorities and city mayors will one day sum up the guts to slap a 'Chelsea Tractor Tax' on urban SUVs.

Good to see that green cars will pay no tax though .
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Thank you, you fascist piece of shit.

As if. Fascists had WAY more Carisma.
  • Options
    Problem with a tax on "urban SUVs" is that the rural poor get twatted too. There isn't a way around that. You need a 4x4 in Cumbria in February. If you're going to have a 4x4, it makes sense to have it as a decent family car, rather than having two or three cars.

But yes. All of it is bollocks.

The real ale industry again gets raped by taxation. The increase on cigs is a joke. And 4p on a bottle of wine? Ta mate, I'll just go to fucking France and buy 50 there instead.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Problem with a tax on "urban SUVs" is that the rural poor get twatted too. There isn't a way around that. You need a 4x4 in Cumbria in February. If you're going to have a 4x4, it makes sense to have it as a decent family car, rather than having two or three cars.
    Yes, you are quite right. There is a use and a place for 4x4s and countryside folk shouldn't have to pay for the selfishness of city selifsh twats. That's why a congestion-charge style for the use of 4x4s in cities would have been a better move.
  • Options
    no increases on illegal drugs!star13yd.gif
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Yes, you are quite right. There is a use and a place for 4x4s and countryside folk shouldn't have to pay for the selfishness of city selifsh twats. That's why a congestion-charge style for the use of 4x4s in cities would have been a better move.

Ah, but the rural poor have to go to the city to work. And you'll have one bus a week if you're lucky in most of Cumbria.

I agree, something needs to be done about the Chelsea Tractors. I just don't know what. Road Tax, fuel, whatever- they all unfairly punish the rural poor. Maybe a postcode exemption might work, unless its a second house.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Ah, but the rural poor have to go to the city to work. And you'll have one bus a week if you're lucky in most of Cumbria.

I agree, something needs to be done about the Chelsea Tractors. I just don't know what. Road Tax, fuel, whatever- they all unfairly punish the rural poor. Maybe a postcode exemption might work, unless its a second house.

How about actually seeing if people have any NEED for a 4x4? Say, if you do... you get a special 4x4 license?
  • Options
    Who are you to say what car I can and cannot drive though?

I quite want a Defender. I don't need one, living in the suburbs, but I want one.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Who are you to say what car I can and cannot drive though?

I quite want a Defender. I don't need one, living in the suburbs, but I want one.

Then why bother at all?

Far as I see it .... cars barley pollute anyway. So why not target big polluters? I want a UAZ to have fun at weekends. That'll probably kill a stoat every time I turn the key.
  • Options
    And no tax breaks for (or that'll be useful to) me :(
  • Options
    Gordon Browns last ever budget?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Gordon Browns last ever budget?

Maybe. Who'll be Chancellor when he's ruling over us with his Iron Fist though?
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    9p increase on fags.

Why does Gordon Brown hate homosexuals?
  • Options
    Cain wrote:
    Why does Gordon Brown hate homosexuals?

I've always had trouble smoking fags, they squirm to much. Don't get the appeal either, burning flesh smells awful.
  • Options
    Burning flesh does smell horrible, doesn't it? I had a terrible accident in a physics class once, vaporized a small band on skin on my finger and stunk the whole lab out. Terrible smell.

As for Brown, reckon the boost for education is to help secure his eventual leadership?
  • Options
    Smokes and beer is up grr. 1p on a pint isn’t so bad I guess but it adds up and pubs and breweries always seem to use it as an excuse to add an extra couple of pence. And there’s no way Brown is seeing an extra 9p from me on cigarettes, even though I’m a light smoker it’s the principle. I’m deffo stocking up big time when I’m abroad.

It hopefully is Brown’s last budget, lets just hope he doesn’t last long next door. Unless the Conservatives get back in we’ll end up paying even more in taxes. Since 1997 taxes and government expenditure have rocketed – and while there’s been some marginal improvements in public services the public has hardly got value for money.
  • Options
    Yes, its time for responsible economics once again. Like Thatcher! Oh, wait....
  • Options
    Cain wrote:
    Yes, its time for responsible economics once again. Like Thatcher! Oh, wait....
    :lol:
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    How about actually seeing if people have any NEED for a 4x4? Say, if you do... you get a special 4x4 license?
    i have a shogun.obviously i could buy something cheaper but i don't want to,so i'll get shafted again! not much help for a heavy smoker that drinks like a bastard and drives a 4x4 then?
  • Options
    Well it one drives a highly polluting, gas guzzling car then one should expect to be taxed accordingly.

For what's worth Deano you might not be paying the highest car tax band- it depends on the mg of CO2 emmisions it produces and I know some 4x4s are not in the highest band. A Shogun might well be one of them.

The highest tax is to cars above 210mg CO2 emmisions if memory serves. For the likes of the Porsche 911 Turbo or the Range Rover 4.2 Sport V8.