Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Paltry rise in Minimum Wage to come

From New Labour, the people that brought you hedge funds, offshore accounts, tax avoidance schemes, tax havens, and party loans - they now give the ordinary man on the street a present. Of course, everyone on P&D is wise enough to known they stopped caring about this group a long time ago. But I digress. Yes, prepare to get really excited.. the minimum wage is going up by 30p this October! (20p extra if you're between 18 and 21)

So the minimum wages will be £5.35 and £4.45 an hour. Well excuse me if I fail to get excited! Who do these wankers think they're kidding? Trade and Industry bonehead Alan Johnson boasted "It is right that, at a time when our economy is generally strong, with the longest ever period of... blah blah blah, I'm talking bullshit, nobody gives a fuck... we continue to help those who get paid the least." How about you give us all hedge funds, you useless tossers?

As ever, business have been quick to moan, as ever "oh, we're all gonna go out of business and die because of this. 30p increase, boo hoo, however will we cope" said Douglas Ramsbottom of the CBI. Or someone did anyway. >> Details >>

More nonsense from a government on its deathbed? :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

No, more like a whole way of life.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

from someone who complains that labour never does any good? i think its wise to add that if it wasnt for the minimum wage, a lot of people would still be getting paid £3 an hour

you complained for ages with a big long list of things which labour has done bad, and then people responded with the good things they have done

you do realise that these payrises are above inflation?

When the minimum wage was first introduced in 1999 it stood at £3.60 an hour, and has been increased every year since.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    you do realise that these payrises are above inflation?
    Not as much above inflation as the 40% payrises our pathetic MPs awarded themselves a few years ago. Not as much above inflation as the pay rises that the heads of businesses receive every year. No, as always, New Labour kow-tows to business with derisory announcements that are an insult to intelligence.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Not as much above inflation as the 40% payrises our pathetic MPs awarded themselves a few years ago. Not as much above inflation as the pay rises that the heads of businesses receive every year. No, as always, New Labour kow-tows to business with derisory announcements that are an insult to intelligence.

yes but ordinary people who are on minimum wage coudlnt care less about what wage increases MP's get, they care about what they get to take home after a hard days work

so your rant which was about a pathetic 6% payrise (which many on low income wil welcome) has now turned into a rant about how highly paid the politicians are, i really couldnt care less, because the extra 30p an hour (or whatever it is) spread over many thousands of people, will probly translate into more money than 600 or so mp's get anyway
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    yes but ordinary people who are on minimum wage coudlnt care less about what wage increases MP's get, they care about what they get to take home after a hard days work
    Ordinary people don't care how much MPs get paid? So, nobody cares that they cost millions every year in wages and expenses? Don't be daft.

I'm pointing out the gulf between the minimum wage and that our elected representatives, with their £300 dinners, are getting. New Labour was meant to be about helping people. Instead, it's about helping themselves.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    here in our wonderful north wales SG ...before the minimum wage ...the job centres were full of positions at less than three quid!
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Instead, it's about helping themselves.

Of course it is. They're politicians.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Ordinary people don't care how much MPs get paid? So, nobody cares that they cost millions every year in wages and expenses? Don't be daft.

I'm pointing out the gulf between the minimum wage and that our elected representatives, with their £300 dinners, are getting. New Labour was meant to be about helping people. Instead, it's about helping themselves.

so what if they are helping themselves, id rather laugh if you were ok to do your job at haven (not sure if you are still there or not) for £3 an hour, id like to see you try
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    so what if they are helping themselves, id rather laugh if you were ok to do your job at haven (not sure if you are still there or not) for £3 an hour, id like to see you try
    I start back there in two weeks.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I start back there in two weeks.
    with a pay rise to boot!
  • Options
    with a pay rise to boot!
    That's news to me, if nothing else.
  • Options
    on £3 an hour?

Pipe down stargalaxative
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    That's news to me, if nothing else.
    you know ...the minimum wage ...
  • Options
    you know ...the minimum wage ...
    As far as I'm aware, my wages won't be changing. I already received more than the minimum wage previously. Now can we please stop discussing my private finances on the boards?
  • Options
    I think the benefits (especially pension) given to MPs should be cut drastically.
    Then I can pay less tax.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    If it weren't for New Labour there would be no minimum wage and millions of people across the country would still be 'earning' slave wages. You should be grateful for that.

It was the Tories and business representatives who objected to minimum wage, telling countless lies (sorry, forecasts) about mass unemployment and endless companies going under if it was introduced. All turned out to be malicious lies by greedy scum, of course.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It was the Tories and business representatives who objected to minimum wage, telling countless lies (sorry, forecasts) about mass unemployment and endless companies going under if it was introduced. All turned out to be malicious lies by greedy scum, of course.
    Of course, hence why I also rubbished the CBI saying business couldn't cope with it. They can certainly cope with the annual inflation-busting rises their managers receive, can't they?

But no one seems to have noticed that, preferring instead to attack me for having the cheek to criticise the government.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    If it weren't for New Labour there would be no minimum wage and millions of people across the country would still be 'earning' slave wages. You should be grateful for that.

But we also wouldn't have this fake cunt in power.

Not that I like any of the buggers ;) I just like this one less, and his mates.
    Minimum wage or not.
  • Options
    I can't believe how low the min. wage is. I earn more than the minimum wage for those over 21 and I only work in a supermarket and I'm 18.
  • Options
    Yes, the minimum wage is quite low, but that's a reasonable increase. Its more than most people where I work got last year and this year and next year put together.
  • Options
    What does anyone expect? You don't really think that the minimum wage is there to help the low paid do you? In fact its driven wages down in some sectors. Governments will only introduce laws to help capital...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    WELL - its better than a fucking kick in the teeth, isn't it? I am not bitching - I have to start work soon - and its fucking hard enough to afford to live! 30p - not much, but better than nothing!
  • Options
    I'm not arguing that the minimum wage as a concept is a bad thing - far from it. It should be set at a sensible level though.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'm not arguing that the minimum wage as a concept is a bad thing - far from it. It should be set at a sensible level though.
    How about £10 per hour? £15? £20? How do you set something like that?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    How about £10 per hour? £15? £20? How do you set something like that?

sounds good to me
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    sounds good to me
    Can you just imagine if they tried to bring that in, though? The CBI management would probably try to commit mass suicide if the Government said it wanted to do that.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    sounds good to me
    are you worth it ...is SG worth it?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Can you just imagine if they tried to bring that in, though? The CBI management would probably try to commit mass suicide if the Government said it wanted to do that.

good riddance to 'em then
  • Options
    are you worth it ...is SG worth it?
    Are you worth it? The same could be asked. I wouldn't turn down £20 an hour myself.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    stargalaxy wrote:

*Hopes and wishes*