Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Drug Test after Rave...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm going to a Rave next weekend at Fabric.

I saw posted on another forum that someone heard they are doing Random drug tested as people leave...

I could be being very ignorent here, but surely thats a load of crap?
As far as i'm aware its not as if you can just blow into a machine and it pings up "This person has taken MDMA"...

Also unless there are police there, its not as if they could inforce that. If you said no i'm not doing the drugs test, there is nothing that can do about it?

Just thought it would be worth double checking on here!

Cheers guys!

Comments

• Options
    I don't think anyone could do you just for having something in your system. Just make sure your stuff is well hidden, I don't think you should have any problems.
  • Options
    Oh yeah... that was the other point I thought of...

Yeah, if they found something on you, then you could be done...

But if you were clean, but pilled up, the worst they could do it just chuck you in the cell for the night, if that?
  • Options
    I don't think it's a crime to be under the influence of a controlled substance so it should be safe enough.

If they really are checking people on their way *out* of a rave for drugs, I suppose it's nice and considerate of them to give people a chance to take them all first...;)
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    Oh yeah... that was the other point I thought of...

Yeah, if they found something on you, then you could be done...

But if you were clean, but pilled up, the worst they could do it just chuck you in the cell for the night, if that?

They couldn't do anything unless they found you in possession of something. Either that, or if you were driving under the influence.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    If you would like the definitive answer (and can't wait for Bong or Blagsta to post), I'd recommend giving Release a call. And then you could let us all know what they say . ;)
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    I'm going to a Rave next weekend at Fabric.

I saw posted on another forum that someone heard they are doing Random drug tested as people leave...

I could be being very ignorent here, but surely thats a load of crap?
    As far as i'm aware its not as if you can just blow into a machine and it pings up "This person has taken MDMA"...

Also unless there are police there, its not as if they could inforce that. If you said no i'm not doing the drugs test, there is nothing that can do about it?

Just thought it would be worth double checking on here!

Cheers guys!

They can't force drugs tests on you. Sounds like nothing more than a rumour.
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    If you would like the definitive answer (and can't wait for Bong or Blagsta to post), I'd recommend giving Release a call. And then you could let us all know what they say . ;)

Cheers for the info.

Im at work at the moment, so it might be a bit dodgy ringing them to ask that! :D

To be honest i'm not worried about it, I was just curious about if they could actually do that!
    I think its alot of crap, but just wanted to find out!
  • Options
    I don't think there's a test where they can tell you're doing it like a breathelizer test or anything.

IMO the only reason they search people going out is to catch the dealers who got a away first time...most people have it really hidden going in but not going out so if they find 100 pills on someone's pocket on the way out they're fucked.
  • Options
    im pretty sure its an offence to be under the influence of illicit substances
  • Options
    MrG wrote:

You can't be arrested for having drugs in your system...and you certainly can't be forced do a drugs test as you're leaving a rave.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:

its illegal to buy drugs, its illegal to sell drugs, its not illegal to be under the influence unless you are driving etc
  • Options
    You cannot get in trouble for being under the influence of drugs but to admit it is a whole different category
    Is that true? I thought being in public intoxicated was illegal?

It would, however, be ridiculous to test for drug use at a rave. Of course it's going to happen, the owners are (hopefully) going to focus on the source though.
  • Options
    Just say you were spiked. Simple.

It's unlikely they'd do it anyway. But be careful about being searched on the way out - happened me the other week and the bastard took my pills off me.
  • Options
    If this is happening at all the easiest way for the police to do it would be with a smelling machine.

These are basically like a computerised dog, but much more effective. So they could take a swab from your coat or hands and see if you have been in contact with controlled drugs.

This could then be used as the basis for an arrest and a search down at the station.
  • Options
    Smelling machines?? Fuck, that's a new one on me, when did they start using those?

If they're pensioning off all the obsolete old drug-sniffer dogs I want to adopt one and take it to Glastonbury...
  • Options
    They are mostly used in airports, but they arent all the big and could be used outside a club, but I really dont think its very likely.
  • Options
    I can't find any specific info Bong, is it illegal to be under the influence of scheduled substances if you aren't in charge of a vehicle?
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    I can't find any specific info Bong, is it illegal to be under the influence of scheduled substances if you aren't in charge of a vehicle?

They could bust you for being 'drunk and disorderly' but only if you were causing a problem.

If you were young they could (nicely) take you home to see what your parents thought of the situation.

And of course they could take you in for a full search using the fact you're high as a good reason.
  • Options
    Cheers budda.
  • Options
    As always, if you dont act like an arse, are polite to the copper and dont look dodgy they'll probably not hassle you.
  • Options
    location location location!
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    If this is happening at all the easiest way for the police to do it would be with a smelling machine.

These are basically like a computerised dog, but much more effective. So they could take a swab from your coat or hands and see if you have been in contact with controlled drugs.

This could then be used as the basis for an arrest and a search down at the station.

I went to Amsterdam by coach once... as we were leaving to go home, 2 blokes came on and swiped down some of the seating a some peoples hand luggage...

I guessed it was drug related. It must have been one of these sniffer machines your talking about... interesting :chin:

Funny enough actually, I had a used pipe in my bag! but they didnt really do a big search, just quickly went round.
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    I went to Amsterdam by coach once... as we were leaving to go home, 2 blokes came on and swiped down some of the seating a some peoples hand luggage...

I guessed it was drug related. It must have been one of these sniffer machines your talking about... interesting :chin:

Funny enough actually, I had a used pipe in my bag! but they didnt really do a big search, just quickly went round.

quite strange ive never heard of it before!

any more info/links, bongbudda?
  • Options
    I've seen it happen at an airport, the swabs contained a reactive chemical that changed colour in the presence of MDMA, amphetamine, etc.
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    any more info/links, bongbudda?

I'll have a look, as I said they are largely used in airports and ports.

It is, very simply put a even more effective electronic dog. A swab is taken on a bag/case/coat/etc. and then put in the machine, this then draws air over it and sensors tell whether there are microscoptic amounts of controlled drugs or explosives.
  • Options
    I was right, it is the electronic nose they have used at nightclubs;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1840251.stm
  • Options
    :( :nervous:
  • Options
    I hope it dosent become common place!!

Is it beatable if your careful? i.e bag up what your going to take before you get changed and showered to go out, then dont touch it again until you in?
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    I hope it dosent become common place!!

Is it beatable if your careful? i.e bag up what your going to take before you get changed and showered to go out, then dont touch it again until you in?

I doubt any big city will do this, they have far more important things for coppers to be doing on Friday nights. Measures like this, and stop searching people as they go to a club are just harrassment, they are intended to scare drug users off using. The police never have the money or the will to do this all the time, which is good because its largely a total waste of money.

Hmm, maybe, the swab test could be beaten that way, though I wouldnt bet on it.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I doubt any big city will do this, they have far more important things for coppers to be doing on Friday nights. Measures like this, and stop searching people as they go to a club are just harrassment, they are intended to scare drug users off using. The police never have the money or the will to do this all the time, which is good because its largely a total waste of money.

Yeah, if you compare the pillheads in the clubs and the pissheads in the pubs and on the streets, who causes the most trouble?! The police have enough problems dealing with people fighting and getting rowdy, without spending their time testing, sniffing and searching clubbers all night.