Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Women to be charged for epidurals

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Epidurals will still be free to those that need one though, so unless they're admitting that they've been handing out unnecesary drugs, I don't see any problem or any change.
  • Options
    when they say need them, maybe theyre meaning people who need one for a c section for example, or someone who has an extreme phobia of childbirth?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I geniunely believe every birth is a miracle; don't let a fear of pain put you off.

This reminds me of the "it's natural" arguement, to which I respond- it's natural to fall ill, break bones get cancer etc... should we deny patients pain relief because pain is natural? No. Any person in pain on any ward other than maternity is offered pain relief as part of thier medical service. We expect the NHS to make a person as confortable as modern medicine allows, and not to unnecesarily extend someone's suffering. Childbirth is and should be no different with regard to this basic medical provision of care. Therefore, when it comes to an epidural being neccessary and provided for free, I believe it should be free for any woman who cannot bear their pain and the anaesthesiologist agrees that the procedure will be safe.
  • Options
    AND, don't we already pay? If not give me back my NI and Tax contributions, why should women pay twice?
  • Options
    Well the natural way to do it go without.

But I think it is pushing it a bit far to charge for that tho.

Even so it is more natural without painkillers, we have them for a reason.

What a bollocks argument. We are a part of nature, not seperate, therefore everything we do is "natural", including taking painkillers.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    spot on. this is precisely what infuriates me so much about this proposal.

I think thats a very personal argument, and if you consider it, its not all the applicable to the real life case. Paying tax doesn't garuntee you every medical treatment you could ever think of, just essential things like the NHS. And some doctors / politicians / economics decide which medicines are essential and which arent. When they're low on money, rather than run into debt and miss their targets, its convenient how some treatments become less important suddenly. Though I dont want to quote without a source, there was a case recently of lots of heart condition patients having their surgery cancelled because the NHS had 'shifted its priorities' towards more urgent patients. - Convenient then, that by cancelling 100 or so people off their waiting list they met two targets, one being they're not allowed to have waiting lists so long and another being the money aspect.

But I digress from the main argument. Maybe there is a case that some women don't need the epidural -> but I think as with any pain, how can a doctor say 'you dont need painkillers, it doesn't hurt that much'? If the patient requests, the patient should be given, if its clear they're in pain. And shoving a baby out of your vagina cant be exactly painless.

But then again, we have the scarce resources argument. If you're on a desert island with 10 painkillers, do you give them to everyone? Or just the people who really really need them? I think it might be something along the lines of that, what the NHS is thinking. Although, I think there should be enough for everyone, nobody should have to suffer.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    the NHS pondering whether to restrict hip replacements for people of a certain weight
    This is entirely reasonable if simply losing weight is enough to prevent the need for surgery. Having an operation is not something to be taken lightly - either for patient or surgeon.
    refusing to provide for others with whom there may be less chance of lasting success
    Again, entirely reasonable. What is the point of giving, for example, expensive cholesterol-lowering medication to 80 year olds when the only evidence for its improvement in mortality is over a ten year period?
  • Options
    when they say need them, maybe theyre meaning people who need one for a c section for example, or someone who has an extreme phobia of childbirth?
    Epidurals aren't ideal for Caesareans and extreme phobia of childbirth? Are you making things up now?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    This reminds me of the "it's natural" arguement, to which I respond- it's natural to fall ill, break bones get cancer etc... should we deny patients pain relief because pain is natural? No. Any person in pain on any ward other than maternity is offered pain relief as part of thier medical service. We expect the NHS to make a person as confortable as modern medicine allows, and not to unnecesarily extend someone's suffering. Childbirth is and should be no different with regard to this basic medical provision of care. Therefore, when it comes to an epidural being neccessary and provided for free, I believe it should be free for any woman who cannot bear their pain and the anaesthesiologist agrees that the procedure will be safe.
    I don't disagree.

In America they say 'anaesthesiologist'. Here we call them anaesthetists, and they aren't available in midwifery-led maternity units, as I have already said.
  • Options
    basically that seems to me that the doctor/midwife.whoever is saying "come on, it doesn't hurt that much, don't be such a wuss, grit your teeth and get on with it...after all, you got yourself into this situation....
    What a ridiculous comment. As if midwives and obstetricians are actively promoting pain amongst their clientele. You talk as if it is an 'us' and 'them' situation in hospitals with women suffering and doctors laughing openly and telling them to shut up and get on with it.

No form of pain relief is without its risks in childbirth, that is the bottom line.
  • Options
    so why are they still going to be offering them to people who can afford to pay?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    AND, don't we already pay? If not give me back my NI and Tax contributions, why should women pay twice?
    Because they're women.

Would this have happened if it were men giving birth?
  • Options
    Because they're women.

Would this have happened if it were men giving birth?
    You are such a cliche.
  • Options
    so why are they still going to be offering them to people who can afford to pay?
    "And the Department of Health ruled out charging for the treatment - which can cost up to £500 in private clinics".

It was just a comment from the RCM to publicise their view, presumably. Charging for epidurals would reduce demand for them, that's what they want.
  • Options
    The anaesthetists/anaesthesiologist doesn't really matter, my tongue can't say anaesthetist and I'm sure there are more anaesthesiologists in the world...
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    No form of pain relief is without its risks in childbirth, that is the bottom line.

this could lead to an ethics discussion of when is something human. The risks with an epidural are more for the baby right? But, in my humble opinion, the mother is more important.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    The rich get optimal treatment, the poor get the basics.

Sorry, but this isn't something being proposed by the NHS or it's "legion of bean counters", this was a suggestion by a Royal College and there is no suggestion that it would actually happen - in part for the reasons you suggest.
    ps Are you a) at East Kent and b) involved in this nonsense?

Not directly, but it will impact on me. Will be interesting to see how things happen because they can't do the basics right IMHO, so how they think that they will manage this is beyond me.

I could go into many specifics but I would start getting really unprofessional. God help the people of east kent, is all I can say.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    this could lead to an ethics discussion of when is something human. The risks with an epidural are more for the baby right? But, in my humble opinion, the mother is more important.
    Is a Caesarean more harmful for baby or mother? And who is it performed for?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    The anaesthetists/anaesthesiologist doesn't really matter, my tongue can't say anaesthetist and I'm sure there are more anaesthesiologists in the world...
    Are you American?
  • Options
    No. But I did first say the word out loud in America and met (apart from my Second-Mom) more anaesthesiologists there than I have here... Does it bug you? The 'th' and 't's and 's's all so close to each other cause me a few problems, I also have difficulty with the word boing.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Is a Caesarean more harmful for baby or mother? And who is it performed for?

Does this question matter without first ascertaining whether a 'baby' has any rights? lol
  • Options
    Abortion is pretty simple.

Until the collection of cells can't live without the mother, they are part of the mother, once they can live without the mother, they are a seperate organism.

Most sensible argument is about when that moment occurs, thank fuck.

Not that passing a law ever makes anything but criminals, especially in this instance.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Abortion is pretty simple.

Until the collection of cells can't live without the mother, they are part of the mother, once they can live without the mother, they are a seperate organism.

Most sensible argument is about when that moment occurs, thank fuck.

Not that passing a law ever makes anything but criminals, especially in this instance.
    Are you in the right thread klintock?
  • Options
    No, and I'm pissed. :lol:

No worries, eh?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Are you in the right thread klintock?

Don't discourage him, for once Klintock has said something which makes sense. We can get him posting in the correct threads later...
  • Options
    Don't discourage him, for once Klintock has said something which makes sense. We can get him posting in the correct threads later...

Yep. Best not to rush me all at once. Best way, no quibbles admitted.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    You are such a cliche.
    So you don't think so then?
  • Options
    So you don't think so then?

I'm pretty certain myself, but I can't speak for Kentish.

You only have to look at the different ways in which male and female cancers are treated/advertised etc