Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Women to be charged for epidurals

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4742632.stm

what do you think?

couldnt believe it when i heard it on the news this morning. WOMEN MUST SUFFER. If having to push several lbs of screaming baby out of your vagina isnt enough reason for someone to be offered a bit of anaesthetic, then im not sure what is.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    couldnt believe it when i heard it on the news this morning. WOMEN MUST SUFFER. If having to push several lbs of screaming baby out of your vagina isnt enough reason for someone to be offered a bit of anaesthetic, then im not sure what is.

Well the natural way to do it go without.

But I think it is pushing it a bit far to charge for that tho.

Even so it is more natural without painkillers, we have them for a reason.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Well the natural way to do it go without.

But I think it is pushing it a bit far to charge for that tho.

Even so it is more natural without painkillers, we have them for a reason.

Ive heard that having an epidural doesn't detract from the 'experience' of childbirth though, it jsut removes some of the pain. But I'm not a woman who's had kids, so that's just hearsay.

I think pain relief should be available to all for all manner of things, definately including childbirth.
  • Options
    Why single out birth-giving-women?

"Yes sir your leg has been smashed into several pieces and your eye is hanging out your ear. Would you like some pain relief at £100/hour?"

Saying that my wife has had two children with no epidural. First time round she left it too late and second time she nearly had the baby in the car!
  • Options
    It should surely be up to the woman to deciede, i bet it was a man that had this idea, someone that would never have to experiance the pain :p
  • Options
    It should surely be up to the woman to deciede, i bet it was a man that had this idea, someone that would never have to experiance the pain :p

I think some men wouldn't mind the pain if they could know what it feel like to have a baby growing inside you. I know I would gladly take the pain for it if it was possible.
  • Options
    i can't actually believe that, and it's come from the Royal College of Midwives as well - what a load of bollocks that really is.
    Quite.

You would expect the midwives of all people to be on women's side.
  • Options
    I was dead against having an epidural - until labour REALLY set in, then I was begging for one.
  • Options
    As I have no experiance of "having to push several lbs of screaming baby out of your vagina" as rainbow brite so wonderfully described it,thus I have know ieda how it feels, but surely it is the woman's right to have one if she feels that she needs it.

Their arguement about epidurals becoming like C-sections with more women opting for one to make labour easier is slightly unfair. As you still have to pyhiscally push the baby out even if you have an epidural, it just means you don't feel the pain.
    Sue Macdonald, chairman of the RCM's education and research committee which came up with the proposal, told the Daily Telegraph: "There is quite a lot of research around which suggests that although it is an effective form of pain relief, an epidural means women will have to spend longer pushing the baby out of the birth canal and are more likely to need other interventions.

Why does everything come down to cost....I presume that the other interventions Sue Macdonald refers to will required the mid-wife etc... to spend longer on each women giving birth and more drug etc.. could be required.

:mad: rant over.
  • Options
    I would have thought that they would be more concerned about the number of "elective" c-sections being carried out these days.

Interesting that this is coming from a clinical body rather than one of us "bean counters" though. Don't expect it to be as high on the media list because of that then...
  • Options
    The NHS shouldn't be charging for this, but I think the RCM makes some valid points. An epidural can slow down the labour, and they make the point that this inevitably leads to increased rates of further medical interventions.

Midwives also tend to advocate "natural" births as far as possible, and midwifery-led maternity wards are unable to help women requiring any obstetric input (including epidurals). It is therefore not at all surprising that they want women to have as little intervention as possible.
  • Options
    so how to they decide if the woman actually needs it or not? i heard childbirth is one of the most painful things in the world....i thought C section was still only done if it was needed?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    so how to they decide if the woman actually needs it or not? i heard childbirth is one of the most painful things in the world....i thought C section was still only done if it was needed?
    Some people deal with pain better than others. Women have been giving birth for millennia without epidurals and there is no reason why childbirth should be more painful nowadays. It's amazing what women will accept and put up with when there is no choice (as I discovered in Uganda, where women not only give birth with nothing stronger than paracetamol but also do it silently).
  • Options
    It's not something that should be charged for, if a woman wants pain relief then it's up to her, but I do agree with Kentish about the points raised when it comes to the increased risks of medical intervention. Sadly, childbirth is so medicalised nowadays, you can't swing an umbilical cord without being told you're not progressing so we may as well top up the pitocin and c-section you later on anyway...
  • Options
    I was fully aware of the risks and was against having one. but tbh nothing can prepare you for the pain of established labour, and I am in admiration of those who do it drug free. That doesnt mean that women should have the choice taken away from them - specifically poor women who wont be able to afford it
  • Options
    I was fully aware of the risks and was against having one. but tbh nothing can prepare you for the pain of established labour, and I am in admiration of those who do it drug free. That doesnt mean that women should have the choice taken away from them - specifically poor women who wont be able to afford it

The money you have shouldn't be revelant of the may you are threated as human.

if you have money, here are some painkillers...
    if you are poor, suffer in silence please...
  • Options
    Couldnt we just change the drug program, so as not to delay the birth but ease some of the pain?

NO2 for example, does that slow down the birth?

And I've seen some good evidence suggesting that GHB can be effective in not only numbing some of the pain but dilating the woman into the bargin.
  • Options
    No2 doesnt slow labour down, doesnt pass the placenta, but also didnt work for me and made me feel sick.
    pethidine doesnt slow labour down, but DOES pass the placenta, but also made me sick and high as a kite, yet didnt do much for me analgesia-wise.

Epidural has risks, increases the risk of assisted delivery if done at the wrong stage of labour because you cant feel enough to push - this isnt always the case though (it wasnt for me)

Im not sure about GHB how much research has been done.
  • Options
    Im not sure about GHB how much research has been done.

I'll see if I can pull out some research.
  • Options
    And the end of the NHS as we know it draws even closer...
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    And the end of the NHS as we know it draws even closer...

Why so?
  • Options
    After reading this I have been put off ever having children. :nervous:
  • Options
    Why so?
    The rich get optimal treatment, the poor get the basics.

ps Are you a) at East Kent and b) involved in this nonsense?
  • Options
    After reading this I have been put off ever having children. :nervous:
    I geniunely believe every birth is a miracle; don't let a fear of pain put you off.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I geniunely believe every birth is a miracle; don't let a fear of pain put you off.
    nope, especially if you can get an epidural!!!
  • Options
    Hmm, I definitely think that some epidurals are given too early in labour, and too freely, but that's down to bad practice and a sort of "expectation" (of some women) that an epidural will be administered regardless of the immediate need.

I definitely don't think epidurals should become an add on cost, there's the obvious issue of more intervention sometimes being necessary post-epidural, which then is more costly to the NHS. But, I'm of the belief that women need to have a degree of control during childbirth, and I'm in no doubt that an epidural helps a lot of women in that respect. If an epidural is the necessary action to provide a woman with some respite then they should get one without a moment's hesitation, being in often excruciating pain for hours is as good a reason that I can think of.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Hmm, I definitely think that some epidurals are given too early in labour,
    If its given early enough though, it can have worn off just enough in time to still be able to push. If its given too late then its peak effect will be the time when its crucial to still be able to have some control and thats the reason why it leads to more assisted deliveries. it needs to be given not so early that its unneccessary, but not too late. A skilled midwife will know how fast a woman is progressing, and whether the time is right, but sometimes even when a woman wants one, they cant get the anaesthetist in time, and then the woman ends up having it too late and needing forceps or ventouse.

Women need choice in labour and they need INFORMED choice.
    If more women actually went to their antenatal classes and/or researched stuff a bit more then I think it would help more than saying you cant have this unless you pay.
    Also the fact of having to pay, might mean women think if they pay for it, then they can have it regardless of whether the doctors are saying no, youre too far gone.
  • Options
    Women need choice in labour and they need INFORMED choice.

Hit the nail on the head. Absolutely, though as it stands there are still many women aren't interested in being informed, or who don't have easy enough access to that information - and those in the know aren't really interested in informing them anymore than is necessary.

Labour is one thing I'll definitely be doing my research about before it happens. :yeees:
  • Options
    Why so?

Well, first of all we have the divide between the private & public sectors becoming blurred, secondly we have the NHS pondering whether to restrict hip replacements for people of a certain weight and refusing to provide for others with whom there may be less chance of lasting success, and thirdly we've got pregnant women being told to pay for measures which help with the pain of childbirth.

Considering the prevailing ideology of privatisation and profit, i think these are clear indicators of the health service's changing nature, as stealthy as they may be. As soon as people accept these changes, more will be ushered in.

The 51st State, here we come...

:mad: