Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

For The Love Of Dreadlocks!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello, newb here.

Let's show some lock love!

So yeah, this is sort of a spinoff to the "white people with dreadlocks" thread. I just saw some responses that were so ignorant, and that were so full of cliches and misconceptions about dreadlocks. All people's "dreadlocks" are NOT dirty. Most people, trust me on this one, WASH them. It is definately RECOMMENDED. If you don't was your dreads, you're kind of disgusting, IMO. Remember, it is still HAIR. Imagine that!

And yes I am locked.

I just wanted to dedicate a thread to dreads, and anyone who wants them, or would like to know what they look like, or whatever. I think that'd be a good idea...and maybe clear up some misconceptions...the only way we can acheive unity and understanding is to learn about eachother.

Here are some MANICURED "dreadlocks":

lockgirl.jpg

PICT0050.JPG

And here are FREEFORM dreadlocks. Freeforum means either you start them by twisting or some other method, and then leave them alone, or you just leave your hair alone all together from the start. Also known as neglect.

emostbeautifulwomenIveeverseen-vi.jpg

luna9qu.jpg

Kravitz:

dred_kravitz.jpg

And, most famous for his locks, Bob Marley

Bob_Marley_-_Natural_Mystic-front.jpg

Here are sisterlocks (very small locks, dudes have 'em too -- www.sisterlocks.com)

BasimsPS032small2.jpg

0011foweb.JPG

If you're a fan of the locks, you can add on if you wish. Show some love for the dreadies! :yippe:
«1

Comments

  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And before anyone says something smart, yes I know the other thread was about "white people" with dreads, and that I've clearly only posted nubians, but I did see some responses that were so ignorant, and what I mean by that, is they obviously don't know the truth about locks.

    Just trying to help with the misconceptions.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think you will find that the comments in the other thread were more a matter of personal opinion rather than misconception.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Saying that dreadlocks are not washed is a misconception.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not a misconception because you get some people who dont wash them.

    In my personal opinion, i dont like dreadlocks. In my personal opinion i think they look horrible.

    Opinions are a fact of life which everyone is entitled to.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blah wrote:
    Not a misconception because you get some people who dont wash them.

    In my personal opinion, i dont like dreadlocks. In my personal opinion i think they look horrible.

    Opinions are a fact of life which everyone is entitled to.

    Agreed.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't mind black folk with them, because I understand their hair is a bit more difficult to maintain than caucasian hair.

    But caucasians with dreadlocks is just NASTY AND TACKY. Nooooooooooooo. They are neds to get it, or nasty hippies who don't wash it them. Well, folk I've seen anyways.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I like em :D :yes:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    1983 wrote:
    I don't mind black folk with them, because I understand their hair is a bit more difficult to maintain than caucasian hair.

    But caucasians with dreadlocks is just NASTY AND TACKY. Nooooooooooooo. They are neds to get it, or nasty hippies who don't wash it them. Well, folk I've seen anyways.

    If they washed their hair, would it then be ok?

    Unrelated to 1983's post, I find it really interesting to see people's reactions to this as opposed to their reactions to the thread in sex about not shaving armpit hair. Everyone then was like: 'it's natural, it's how it's supposed to be, there's nothing wrong with it'. Dreads are about as natural as human hair gets - even caucasian hair - and yet there are so many people who say they're disgusting.

    I think maybe a lot has to do with the fact that many white people with dreads don't necessarily dress 'smart', or the same as the rest of the population (although I have a friend with beautiful dreads and a high-flying office job in the city), giving them the 'nastyhippy' label and so a conception about them has built up that they're dirty and don't care about themselves or how they look. Maybe? Possibly? Anyone?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    theres a guy who works at the local borough council office with long dreadlocks tied back. he always wears a suit and really suits them.
    I also used to go out with a guy with dreads, and they were cool too.
    Obviously some people with them are dirty, but ive known plenty of dirty people without dreads too. Its not the dreads that make someone dirty.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Obviously some people with them are dirty, but ive known plenty of dirty people without dreads too. Its not the dreads that make someone dirty.
    :yes:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I do think you're taking it a bit personally. We state opinions here, not necessarily fact. We're all entitled to think a certain way about a certain idea... that being dreadlocks, some like 'em, some hate 'em. That's the way it is.

    I'm not ignorant about dreadlocks, some of my friends have dreadlocks so I know how much effort it takes to maintain them, but personally I just do not like them. I do not think they are aesthetically pleasing at all, I don't like matted fur on animals, and to me, dreadlocks on humans look like just that - matted hair.

    If someone has dreadlocks and loves them, fair enough that's their choice!

    Ilora x
  • Options
    KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    Just to stick my oar in, I agree that some love needs to be shown to the dreads in all their (clean) forms. I've seen some very fair white girls with them and I think they look amazing. Like Tilda Swinton.

    But Mick Hucknall can't pull the look off...
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ive found some pics of white people with dreadlocks. Ive picked out where they look less bad. I still dont like them, on black or white people.


    dreadlocks_pictures.jpg
    Blonde_Dreadlocks.jpg
    AnnaSynthDrweb.jpg
    dreadsbig250333.jpg
    bettydred.gif
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blah wrote:
    Blonde_Dreadlocks.jpg
    See, I think that looks absolutely ridiculous. :eek:

    Ilora x
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blah wrote:
    ive found some pics of white people with dreadlocks. Ive picked out where they look less bad. I still dont like them, on black or white people.
    AnnaSynthDrweb.jpg

    I think that looks good...
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yeah that ginger/blonde one looks crap. She hasnt got the right sort of face to carry it off, especially with the non-dreaded fringe The others looked cool though. I think ferrets look good too with them, but not white ferrets.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blah wrote:
    AnnaSynthDrweb.jpg

    these ones are fake dreads - you can see where they're braided into her real hair. I had some massive pink ones of these once upon a time.

    i think fake dreads suit white people better, cause caucasian hair doesn't generally go into those fab looking even, neat dreads that afro hair can, and i don't like the messy, clumpy look. with fakeys, you can get that neat look, and i'm all for the neat ones on any colour person.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I love fake dreads, because they're fake.... they look neat and tidy and can be funky colours and can be removed....

    Ilora x
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kimono wrote:
    ...
    i love your av :thumb:


    and in my personal opinion i think dreads look ugly, especially big fat ones.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    See, I think that looks absolutely ridiculous. :eek:

    Ilora x


    Dude, SHE looks riciculous, no hairstyle could save that face!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote:
    Dude, SHE looks riciculous, no hairstyle could save that face!

    aw, thats so mean, whats wrong with her face?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Doh! She looks really gormless...
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote:
    Dude, SHE looks riciculous, no hairstyle could save that face!
    :lol: :thumb:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blah wrote:
    bettydred.gif

    Kaff, PLEEEEEEASE do this to your ferrets, and take a pic :D
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kaff, PLEEEEEEASE do this to your ferrets, and take a pic :D

    i did it to mine and she didnt like it

    said she felt dirty and didnt like her fur being matted
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blah wrote:
    Not a misconception because you get some people who dont wash them.

    In my personal opinion, i dont like dreadlocks. In my personal opinion i think they look horrible.

    Opinions are a fact of life which everyone is entitled to.

    Then why are you arguing with me. If that's true, then an "opinion" is your own reality. And reality is only perception. So if everyone is entitled to an opinion, why even respond to this? Why even join a forum? What is the point of a forum?

    To discuss with others and to see things from other people's perspective. I didn't post this for an argument. I posted this to show pictures, and for other people to add on. I love dreadlocks. Not everyone understands dreadlocks. Not saying you have to, and I'm not saying you have to like their "appearance", either.

    But having "dreads" is not all about appearance. There are not many people who have dreadlocks for a fashion statement. It's not about vanity. And only those who have dreadlocks can understand that.

    Anyways, have your opinion. There's nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And besides, if EVERYONE IN THE WORLD did not comb their hair, if the comb was never invented, we'd all have dreadlocks. EVERYONE'S hair would eventually matt together to form dreadlocks. True story.

    That really must say something about a clever little European invention.

    You may not like something, but just realize, that the rest of the world doesn't have to live by your Euro, straight-haired standards. No, people don't have to straighten their hair, and NO, people don't have to fear locking their hair because of your ridicule (not YOU specifically, just in general). Some people aren't afraid to just go with the flow, stop trying to fight nature, and THROW AWAY THE COMB.

    Be easy. --Lolla
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Then why are you arguing with me.

    Where was she arguing?
    If that's true, then an "opinion" is your own reality.

    What?
    And reality is only perception.

    What?
    So if everyone is entitled to an opinion, why even respond to this?

    What?
    Why even join a forum?

    Why did you join? You were posting YOUR opinion, your reality. Haha. It's a discussion board where we air our opinions, you don't like it, you know where the cross is to close the window. :)
    What is the point of a forum?

    What's the point of your spiel, here?
    To discuss with others and to see things from other people's perspective.

    Yes, and not everyone is daft about them and you find this difficult to understand, because you are telling us we're not allowed to like them because Blah posted what a lot of people think and you consider that an arguement.
    I didn't post this for an argument.

    No one's arguing?
    I posted this to show pictures, and for other people to add on.

    Yes, we gave our "add on" as opinions which you don't like.
    I love dreadlocks.

    Really? That's swell.
    Not everyone understands dreadlocks. Not saying you have to, and I'm not saying you have to like their "appearance", either.

    So what ARE you saying, because that was just an incoherent response.
    But having "dreads" is not all about appearance. There are not many people who have dreadlocks for a fashion statement. It's not about vanity. And only those who have dreadlocks can understand that.

    That's YOUR opinion and I'm okay what that. I don't think you're arguementative or anything. But I disagree still. :)
    Anyways, have your opinion. There's nothing wrong with that.

    Ah right. You should have said that at the start.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And besides, if EVERYONE IN THE WORLD did not comb their hair, if the comb was never invented, we'd all have dreadlocks.

    Yes, we realise that but quite a lot of people like long, flowing hair.
    EVERYONE'S hair would eventually matt together to form dreadlocks. True story.

    Yes, and that would make it minging.
    That really must say something about a clever little European invention.

    Yes that people wanted to go against nature? Damn us for being THAT intelligent.
    You may not like something, but just realize, that the rest of the world doesn't have to live by your Euro, straight-haired standards.

    Yes, those people are daft. What about Asian, or Japanese folk, do they not have a say either about whether their hair was to go matted and manky?
    No, people don't have to straighten their hair, and NO, people don't have to fear locking their hair because of your ridicule (not YOU specifically, just in general).

    You don't half go on about a load of old twaddle.
    Some people aren't afraid to just go with the flow, stop trying to fight nature, and THROW AWAY THE COMB.

    Yes, these are hippies.
    Be easy. --Lolla

    Unlike you, who has an uptight attitude about dreadlocks.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    1983 wrote:
    Unlike you, who has an uptight attitude about dreadlocks.

    :lol::lol::lol:

    A-fucking-men, Becky. :thumb:
Sign In or Register to comment.