Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

More pacts from the Labour Party jokers

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I'm a strong believer in a small state and low taxes. Less government interference in our daily lives. And the best way to help people out of poverty is to encourage them to earn, and let them keep more of their own money. Why left-wingers don't understand this is beyond me.
    Perhaps is because it's little more than an utopian smokescreen behind which those with an unhealthy obsession with greed and wealth can hide with a clear conscience.

Seeing as there has never been in history a single case study where lower taxes and less government interference have helped more people out of poverty- in fact complete the opposite is true- it's about time right wingers admit that if they really give a toss about poverty and the wellbeing of people then taxation can't be lowered, and that the State has to play a fundamental role.
  • Options
    Yes. Only lefties could come up with useless jobs like "five-a-day co-ordinators". People like these wouldn't survive five minutes running a real business.

:yes:
    If you tried to set up a company, and there was so much bureaucracy involved, the company would go under within days

Fuck yeah. I went to a "set yourself up" seminar thing run by the government and it was mostly about what regulations you had to follow and where to send your tax to and when.

This is why people aren't bothering offically setting up as much these days, and also why the taxman can now just take all your stuff and argue about it afterwards once they find you've ignored "official" procedures.

Of course, all that cash has to come from somewhere, and in Nu Labour's case they made a deal with the BoE and the major corporations. So we have "5 a day co-ordinator" you can't shift with dynamite and climbing numbers of people on short term contracts to pay for them.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    ...it's about time right wingers admit that if they really give a toss about poverty and the wellbeing of people then taxation can't be lowered, and that the State has to play a fundamental role.
    This is ludicrous. How exactly does it help to have people's money taken away from them, sorted out by the Inland Revenue, and then given back? We know government agencies are terrible at handling money. Why not just let people keep the money in the first place?
  • Options
    Seeing as there has never been in history a single case study where lower taxes and less government interference have helped more people out of poverty- in fact complete the opposite is true- it's about time right wingers admit that if they really give a toss about poverty and the wellbeing of people then taxation can't be lowered, and that the State has to play a fundamental role.

Bizzarely, the biggest failures have been state ones, so where the fuck you get this rubbish from I have no idea.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I'm a strong believer in a small state and low taxes. Less government interference in our daily lives. And the best way to help people out of poverty is to encourage them to earn, and let them keep more of their own money. Why left-wingers don't understand this is beyond me.

Because left wingers often have a different view of what constitutes work and value. I certainly don't think that the very narrow definition we have of work at the moment is particularly healthy for anyone and I certainly don't think that everything can be measured in terms of money. Right wingers do and I find it quite bizarre that they only value people in terms of money. :confused:
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Yes. Only lefties could come up with useless jobs like "five-a-day co-ordinators". People like these wouldn't survive five minutes running a real business. If you tried to set up a company, and there was so much bureaucracy involved, the company would go under within days. And only a far-left loonatic like Gordon Brown could use tax as a way to recruit loads of people into utterly pointless public sector jobs so they'll loyally vote Labour.

You seem to have an odd view on what left wing means.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You seem to have an odd view on what left wing means.
    Alright, you explain to me what left-wing means, then.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    This is ludicrous. How exactly does it help to have people's money taken away from them, sorted out by the Inland Revenue, and then given back? We know government agencies are terrible at handling money. Why not just let people keep the money in the first place?

How does valuing human beings in terms of money help anyone? I really don't get it.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Alright, you explain to me what left-wing means, then.

I'm wondering why you think "five-a-day co-ordinators" (I'm guessing you mean something to do with eating veg, although I'm rather sceptical about your source of this info) are left wing. :confused:

What do you think left wing means?
  • Options
    Because left wingers often have a different view of what constitutes work and value

Not having to do much work and being unable to produce anything of value as a general rule, this is hardly surprising.
    I certainly don't think that the very narrow definition we have of work at the moment is particularly healthy for anyone and I certainly don't think that everything can be measured in terms of money.

Depends what you mean by "money". Of course, you don't know what it is, so you don't know what the fuck you are talking about. (Again)
    How does valuing human beings in terms of money help anyone? I really don't get it.

This comes from the poster who continually says it's all about economics. :yeees:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'm wondering why you think "five-a-day co-ordinators" (I'm guessing you mean something to do with eating veg, although I'm rather sceptical about your source of this info) are left wing. :confused:

What do you think left wing means?
    Left-wing, more often than not, is an euphenism for the nanny state, interference in people's lives. That's what a five-a-day co-ordinator does - apparently, they have the right to tell me how to eat. I'm not taking advice from a government-appointed employee about what to eat.

And five-a-day co-ordinator is a job that's been advertised countless times in the bloated Society section of Wednesday's Guardian. I'm glad I read the popular press at times like these. At least I know I represent the views of people in this country more accurately than that ghastly Polly Toynbee.
    klintock wrote:
    This comes from the poster who continually says it's all about economics. :yeees:
    Right-wingers care about their money and are honest about it.

Thank god we've got some voices of common sense on this pre-dominantly left-wing board.
  • Options
    As I said - you seem to have an odd view on what left wing means.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

You must have a very narrow view on what economics means if you think there's any contradiction there.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Come on, then, spit it out - what does being left-wing mean to you, Blagsta? Time to break with the habit of a lifetime, and answer the question?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Because even if they didn't pay a penny in taxes ever, many millions of people simply couldn't afford access to vital services.

That the average Cuban has access to better healthcare than tens of millions of US citizens tells you all you need to know about the wonders of low taxation and lack of government interference...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    That the average Cuban has access to better healthcare than tens of millions of US citizens tells you all you need to know about the wonders of low taxation and lack of government interference...
    Cubans better off under Mr Castro than Americans under Mr Bush? We all know Bush is an idiot, but this is taking the biscuit!
  • Options
    You must have a very narrow view on what economics means if you think there's any contradiction there.

No mate, I just know what money really is. If you were to answer the question, or just generally get your head out of a book for 5 minutes and have a think about what money really is, you'd see what a load of tosh you spout.

So, what is "money"?
  • Options

Hang on, isn't it government regulation that stops the market getting flooded with more and more firms?

Why, I think it is..........so your talking yet more shite.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Come on, then, spit it out - what does being left-wing mean to you, Blagsta? Time to break with the habit of a lifetime, and answer the question?

If you bothered to read my posts rather than just froth at the mouth, you'd see that I put my view across all the time. However, seeing as you appear to be a bit dense, here goes -
    Well left wing is quite a vague term, encompassing everything from social democrats to communists. However, to me, it means a political view that is concerned with individual human beings and community. A view that sees human beings as compex creatures that can't merely be measured in terms of how much money they can make for someone. A view that is concerned with overcoming social inequalities by taking a more rounded and caring view of humans and society in general.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Left-wing, more often than not, is an euphenism for the nanny state, interference in people's lives.
    Do you mean ensuring everyone has access to the most basic of human needs, such as education, health and welfare?

How terrible of the govenrment! :rolleyes:
    That's what a five-a-day co-ordinator does - apparently, they have the right to tell me how to eat. I'm not taking advice from a government-appointed employee about what to eat.
    That's your decision. Nobody is forcing you to eat five vegs and fruit a day, by the way.

Why do rightwingers always resent any attempt to make people's lives better?

While at the same time, I should add, having an unhealthy obsession with banning people from taking certain substances the conservative classes don't approve of?

Spot the hypocrisy stargalaxy?
    And five-a-day co-ordinator is a job that's been advertised countless times in the bloated Society section of Wednesday's Guardian. I'm glad I read the popular press at times like these. At least I know I represent the views of people in this country more accurately than that ghastly Polly Toynbee. Right-wingers care about their money and are honest about it.
    Spoken like a true Peter Hitchens! :D;)

Incidentally did you know that the Daily Mail has invairably one furious editiorial every summer devoted to the Society section of the Guardian? It has come to become an annual event in media circles, something much celebrated and anticipated.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    No mate, I just know what money really is. If you were to answer the question, or just generally get your head out of a book for 5 minutes and have a think about what money really is, you'd see what a load of tosh you spout.

So, what is "money"?

I love the way you try to deflect the debate into paranoid irrelvancy when it goes above your head. :D
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Hang on, isn't it government regulation that stops the market getting flooded with more and more firms?
    Left-wingers love rules and regulations. It means they get to employ lots of people in pointless jobs in the public sector, enforcing the stupid rules they pretend to hate, but never seem to want to get rid of.
    Blagsta wrote:
    However, to me, it means a political view that is concerned with individual human beings and community. A view that sees human beings as compex creatures that can't merely be measured in terms of how much money they can make for someone. A view that is concerned with overcoming social inequalities by taking a more rounded and caring view of humans and society in general.
    I don't seriously think that the individual can function by themselves. Margaret Thatcher said "there's no such thing as society" and I profusely disagree with that. Believe me, I'm just as concerned about over-coming social inequalities as you are. The only difference is the way we're approaching this. I'm definitely not your conventional right-wing poster.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Left-wingers love rules and regulations. It means they get to employ lots of people in pointless jobs in the public sector, enforcing the stupid rules they pretend to hate, but never seem to want to get rid of.

stargalaxy wrote:
    I don't seriously think that the individual can function by themselves. Margaret Thatcher said "there's no such thing as society" and I profusely disagree with that. Believe me, I'm just as concerned about over-coming social inequalities as you are. The only difference is the way we're approaching this. I'm definitely not your conventional right-wing poster.

You're quite a typical right wing poster, believe me.
  • Options
    Why do rightwingers always resent any attempt to make people's lives better? While at the same time, I should add, having an unhealthy obsession with banning people from taking certain substances the conservative classes don't approve of?
    I agree with you on that one. Either all drugs should be legal, or none of them. As for banning, aren't your New Labour cronies going to ban smoking in public places tonight?
    Spoken like a true Peter Hitchens!
    I think he's a very insightful writer. A former communist who's seen the light. I applaud him for that.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I think he's a very insightful writer.

:lol:
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

Why, I think it is..........so your talking yet more shite.

People have to pay for things "firms" produce with "money" or I should say their share of potential resources prviding people beleive in it.

So the poor wont get firms (which dont exsist anyway their just a man made name for a groupe of people who think they work for someone for a common purpose,,, they dont of course cause a comon purpose dosnt exsist, its just a man made name for a general idea which dosnt exsist,,,what get the fuck away from me) to provide services for them cause they cant pay, but the government (which dosnt exsist either its just a man made mane for...oh I give up) can.

SG wernt you on (or thinking of going on) the dole, so waht would hapen if you were ill or broke your leg got money for a doctor ? or hospital treatment ?
    No then die, Id bet if you were in that situation and there was no NHS of any kind you wouldnt be thinking "well thank god the government hasnt inefficiently taken peoples money for health services, oh I dont know what Id do if I could be treated free (at the point of use) thank god Im going to die here.

Paying for university your self are you, managed to save 20K already well done, you wont need taxpayers help to get on then will you.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    :lol:
    Alright smartarse, which columnists would you recommend I read? Is that a question you're able to give a straight answer to?
    SG, weren't you on the dole, so waht would hapen if you were ill or broke your leg got money for a doctor? or hospital treatment ? Paying for university your self are you, managed to save 20K already well done, you wont need taxpayers help to get on then will you.
    For the record, I'm not taking any benefits. Until I'm back in work in a few weeks from now, I am living on my own savings. And I was against the introduction of top-up fees.
  • Options
    I love the way you try to deflect the debate into paranoid irrelvancy when it goes above your head. :D

Well, I am 4 foot 6. Anyway, I'll answer for you, as you are too stupid to live (almost.)

Money is the most commonly traded substance between humans. So if you had a soceity based on kindness, tolerance, bigamy or whatever, those qualities would become the new money. Moron.

I love the way you always answer tricky questions with a question. Are you a Rabbi?
    Originally posted by the violent one -
    Why do rightwingers always resent any attempt to make people's lives better?

Because you are trying to decide for me, you patronising knuclehead, and you are doing it at the barrel of a gun! Not too difficlut to understand I don't like being threatened and punished when I differ in my views about MY life from some fuckwit in an office somewhere.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Alright smartarse, which columnists would you recommend I read? Is that a question you're able to give a straight answer to?

I don't read any particular columnists in the papers. Peter Hitchens is not exactly what I'd call insightful though.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I don't read any particular columnists in the papers. Peter Hitchens is not exactly what I'd call insightful though.
    Blagsta only cares about what Blagsta thinks.