Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

No one is ever there for me when i need them

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    It's hard until you learn how to, really.

I already know this - I wasn't actually moaning about it; I was just making apoint.
    If you see each person as your new best friend, you're only gonna get hurt when they don't really care too much.

I'm in this situation now - there's someone I used to be extremely close to and one night, I made the mistake of telling him that I fancied him. Ever since then, he's been very odd towards me.
    Personally I'm of the opinion most shy people need a job where they cannot be shy in it. I've been in two now, and its done me so much good- what I learn professionally I can use at the weekend.

I totally agree with you here.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Who the fuck chats in a nightclub? You go there to get lashed and pull.

LacyMay is right, you know. All you ever do is whinge. You've got such a chip on your shoulder, thinking that everyone should love you just because you're there. That isn't how it works, that's not how life is.

You can't just barge into groups, that's rude. But it's not hard to start conversations with drunk people, with strangers.

If you'd tried at a meet you'd have been talked to, its not all some huge group that excludes you. Most people at a meet haven't met each other before. Either you involve yourself, or you decide that everyone hates you, and remain silent.

It IS your fault. That's the harsh truth. People owe you fuck all, get that into your head right now. You are not owed anything. Friendships are not a divine right. You have to work at them. Instead of working at them, you have an half-arsed attempt in a completely unsuitable location, and then bellyache about it for weeks on end afterwards.

The ball's in your court. If you're not going to grasp that and follow the advice of posters on this message board, then you may as well not bother posting for all the difference it makes to your life.

We don't care whether you follow our advice or not. Why should we? It's not us that's pissing our life away in a fit of rather pathetic pubescent whining.

I can understand the 'blunt point of view kermit but i don't think it's gonna help... If it was that easy then he wouldn't be going on about whatever's wrong...

Ok nero you're trying, but you need to sort out whatever issues you have... you obviously have some self-image issues and all this stuff ure tlaking about is making it worse...

These things don't just go away..there is nothing anyone here can say that is gonna make you feel better, go talk to a councillor or psychologist or something (that doesnt mean you are mental :p) and tell them what's on your mind :)
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    I can understand the 'blunt point of view kermit but i don't think it's gonna help... If it was that easy then he wouldn't be going on about whatever's wrong...

I'm not chatting shite without any experience of what he's saying. I'm honestly not. I don't pretend to feel his pain, but I do recognise parts of his behaviour that were and are parts of mine.

You need the blunt point of view in many cases, I reckon. If you pussyfoot around it, you don't challenge the mental processes that cause this behaviour. If you don't challenge them they don't go away. It's one of the key points of therapy- challenging these coping mechanisms and thought processes that are harmful.

The ball is completely in Nero's court. It's up to him whether he plays, or whether he runs away. But if he isn't going to play then there's little point in him continuing to ask help, because none can be forthcoming.

The only person who can help Nero is Nero. Fact.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I'm not chatting shite without any experience of what he's saying. I'm honestly not. I don't pretend to feel his pain, but I do recognise parts of his behaviour that were and are parts of mine.

You need the blunt point of view in many cases, I reckon. If you pussyfoot around it, you don't challenge the mental processes that cause this behaviour. If you don't challenge them they don't go away. It's one of the key points of therapy- challenging these coping mechanisms and thought processes that are harmful.

The ball is completely in Nero's court. It's up to him whether he plays, or whether he runs away. But if he isn't going to play then there's little point in him continuing to ask help, because none can be forthcoming.

The only person who can help Nero is Nero. Fact.

yeah sorry ... i didn't see the stuff about you talking to him on msn etc and past experience is more of an insight that i have i suppose
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I've been through this with him on MSN.

They don't treat him badly. Like so many people who are depressed, he only hears what he wants to hear, and he only hears what he expects to hear.

If I was friendly and nice to him, he'd ignore it. If I was ambivalent, he'd treat it as me hating him. That's how he is, that's how depression is.

You only hear what you expect to hear. Nero here will have ignored the nice people being nice, and focused on all the jokes he wasn't the centre of. Because that's what he does, exclude himself. He doesn't consciously intend to, but until he grasps this point nothing will change for him.

Thanks you for your advice kermit. It has totally changed my life, your hard hitting style has clearly opened my ears. I thank you.

As for the msn chat, you spoke to me for what, 20 whole minutes, and suddenly your an expert on my life. You better get a pen and pad to write my biography quickly!

and yes Kermit everything is my fault, while your at it blame world hunger and disease on me, might as well hey. Lets see how phoning someone up, asking them if they wana go somewhere, hearing them say 'duno, i'll let you know' Then calling or texting them or contacting them in some other way nearer the time and hearing them go 'duno i'll let you know nearer the time' untill its a week past that date and they are still giving the same answer is in any way my fault. Go on, give me some twisted view where i didnt try hard enough, i didnt win them over, i didnt shower them with priase or what ever other view you wish to take to make it my fault people dont like me.

so how about this Kermit, lets go out for a pint one evening, im sure your quite a nice bloke in real life and it might do me some good. Of course by asking you, you'll probably say no with some excuse (i'm busy, i got work, i duno yet) and it'll then be my fault again cos i obviously dont try and all i do with my time on this here site is moan and moan and moan with my 300 odd posts.

You know the point of this original post was that no one is ever there for me, i just want one person to come out to places with me, to give me that little extra push with things, to encourge me and mainly just to talk to me and to listen to me and just to get another view on things. Thats why i post on this site than let it all build up into some kind of hate field rage.
  • Options
    NeoNero wrote:
    Thanks you for your advice kermit. It has totally changed my life, your hard hitting style has clearly opened my ears. I thank you.

As for the msn chat, you spoke to me for what, 20 whole minutes, and suddenly your an expert on my life. You better get a pen and pad to write my biography quickly!

and yes Kermit everything is my fault, while your at it blame world hunger and disease on me, might as well hey. Lets see how phoning someone up, asking them if they wana go somewhere, hearing them say 'duno, i'll let you know' Then calling or texting them or contacting them in some other way nearer the time and hearing them go 'duno i'll let you know nearer the time' untill its a week past that date and they are still giving the same answer is in any way my fault. Go on, give me some twisted view where i didnt try hard enough, i didnt win them over, i didnt shower them with priase or what ever other view you wish to take to make it my fault people dont like me.

so how about this Kermit, lets go out for a pint one evening, im sure your quite a nice bloke in real life and it might do me some good. Of course by asking you, you'll probably say no with some excuse (i'm busy, i got work, i duno yet) and it'll then be my fault again cos i obviously dont try and all i do with my time on this here site is moan and moan and moan with my 300 odd posts.

You know the point of this original post was that no one is ever there for me, i just want one person to come out to places with me, to give me that little extra push with things, to encourge me and mainly just to talk to me and to listen to me and just to get another view on things. Thats why i post on this site than let it all build up into some kind of hate field rage.

He didn't say everything is your fault... He said the world doesn't owe you anything...

It is NOT your fault how things have turned out, however it IS up to you to sort things... i thought about it and he has given some decent advice imo... try as hard as you can to stop focusing on the negative.. challenge ure thoughts as soon as you find ureself thinking crap like you say ('ppl don't care about me' etc)...

But namely you need to go see someone professional... they can help you with something as minor as feeling a bit down or with feeling like utter shit... You are just picking out the negative bits.... even randomers like me are taking our time to give a bit of advice, people care they just have no obligation or responsibilty to make things easy for you..

I understand how you feel but go and get something done... just tell someone who can REALLY help how you feel, there is only so much ppl can say / do over an internet messageboard. (and from this i don't mean find a random stranger to talk to... someone that knows what they're doing)..

Lastly... i'm not in any way having a go at you... so please dont try and find anything negative from this post cos i dont mean anything by it... im not implying any underlying meanings, nothing..
  • Options
    Dont worry, i dont think your having a go at me. I just cant see what else i can do, i try loads of things and get no where (im sure someone will say i dont listen to any advice on here).

Professional help...hmm its mentioned a lot but i dont have the money for that sorta stuff, and at the end of the day i just see it as chatting to someone who cant actively help me. It's like talking to a wall, they listen but their advice is rather non commital. Its very easy to sit there getting paid and saying 'make new friends' i want someone to be there with me to help me make new friends, not to be on my own.

And i appreciate most the replies in this thread, cos you take your time to reply to me and say nice stuff generally, i just wish i had something a bit more solid, i dont even have a best friend, thats all i want really. Someone there for me who cares. I used to have one but she got married and well her bf didnt like me talking to her and she disappeared from most peoples lives.
  • Options
    NeoNero wrote:
    As for the msn chat, you spoke to me for what, 20 whole minutes, and suddenly your an expert on my life.

It's been more than that, and no, I'm not an expert. But you post and ask for advice, this is my advice. Other people give different advice. I don't care whose you choose, but you don't choose any.
    Kermit everything is my fault

If you sit on your arse and blame the world it is.
    Lets see how phoning someone up, asking them if they wana go somewhere, hearing them say 'duno, i'll let you know' Then calling or texting them or contacting them in some other way nearer the time and hearing them go 'duno i'll let you know nearer the time' untill its a week past that date and they are still giving the same answer is in any way my fault.

*sigh*

This is what I mean. You're blaming the world. The world owes you nothing.

Maybe these people don't want to go out with you? It happens. Not everyone will like you, not even some people you may consider friends. That's life.

There's nothing magical to say, but this is telling:
    i didnt try hard enough, i didnt win them over, i didnt shower them with priase

That's what's wrong.

You can try too hard. It's easy to do.

You don't need to "win someone over", you need to be yourself and let things develop gradually. Most times it'll develop into nothing.

The problem is that you are terrified of being rejected, if you want my opinion. It makes you look needy and pathetic. You don't attract people with those vibes.

Go out for the craic- if you meet someone good, all the better. If you don't, never mind.

Most people will never be your friend. It's a hard lesson to learn, but you must.

If you set out thinking that you need to shower people with praise to "win" them, then that's where you're going wrong. People just want a good craic from their mates, they don't want someone who arse-licks, and they don't want someone who's needing them 24/7.
    so how about this Kermit, lets go out for a pint one evening, im sure your quite a nice bloke in real life and it might do me some good.

I'm very good company. Honest :lol:

There's nothing wrong with moaning. Honestly, there isn't. But if you're not going to listen to a single poster on these boards, then there isn't anything else that can be said. I don't mean listen to me, I mean do something about it. You may think I chat shit, but that SG or katralla or any other poster has it right. Follow their advice. But don't just sit on your bum and whinge.
  • Options
    Wow is that all your ranting about? Friends is a luxury some of us just do not have, in the end most will traitor you anyway, find better things to occupy yourself.
  • Options
    NeoNero wrote:
    As for the msn chat, you (Kermit) spoke to me for what, 20 whole minutes, and suddenly your an expert on my life. You better get a pen and pad to write my biography quickly!
    Piss take much?
    ...while your at it blame world hunger and disease on me, might as well hey....
    Please yourself, then.
    Kermit wrote:
    But if you're not going to listen to a single poster on these boards, then there isn't anything else that can be said. I don't mean listen to me, I mean do something about it. You may think I chat shit, but that SG or katralla or any other poster has it right. Follow their advice. But don't just sit on your bum and whinge.
    What are you talking about? I'm effectively in agreement with what you told him in this thread.
    Wow is that all your ranting about? Friends is a luxury some of us just do not have, in the end most will traitor you anyway, find better things to occupy yourself.
    I sympathise but disagree. There are few real friends. The rest of them will screw you over in the end.
  • Options

A hobby you mean? Which can also be a good way to meet new people and make friends...
  • Options
    Find a new hobby something that involves meeting other people, if you're positive people will pick up on that and hopefully they'll chat to you just don't give up until you succeed.
  • Options
    Oh dear, NeoNero I really feel for you, you sound terribly unhappy and since I don't know your history I have to ask if you've seen/are seeing anyone about your feelings? A counsellor, or even your GP?

It's so easy for people to say "oh join a club" and you'll meet your brand-new best friend instantly, it doesn't generally work that way and almost definitely not when you're in the frame of mind that you appear to be in. I know you think these other people are completely at fault in the situation, but it's highly likely that you're pushing them away as you're trying to press in emotionally with them. If you invite someone out, text them again to remind them, wait for their reply and hear nothing...well then I'd say that was a welcome indication that they're no friend of yours. Especially if they know your state of mind currently. You might be pissed off at my saying this, but I don't really know if you're in the right frame of mind to make new friends right now...loneliness is a powerful thing, and if you attract any new friends at all then it's likely they mightn't be the most constructive new additions to your life. The friends you have right now are probably largely doing you more damage than good, if they're systematically destroying your emotional health in the way it seems they are.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not slating your entire group of accquaintances, I don't know them and don't think for a second that they're evil and have wicked intentions toward you. I think maybe they're very hesitant to forge ahead in their relationships with you (and meet up with you, spend social time) because you seem so very dependent on their approval.

Maybe it would help you to meet new people, if you have an interest or hobby then now might be the time to pursue it. But I can't help thinking the same situation would arise with any new people you meet while you still have such negative self-perception. People posting on this thread with the "tough love" approach aren't attacking you, some top-notch advice has been dispensed here but you're not looking at this from a perspective where you can see its value.

Anyway, I don't have any tangible advice, other than that I think you should seek some kind of advice from a medical professional. There's no shame in it, and I think it would help. I'm sorry I can't give better advice, I feel terribly lonely myself sometimes, but it's definitely down to me (and my damn brain, which I wish I could switch off) and not the people around me - I think the difference between you and I is the fact that I know root of it is in my own nature, and not the destructive nature and intentions of other people. I've got my fingers crossed for you anyway, it's distressing to see posts of this nature.

I'm not sure I'd be any help whatsoever, but if you need to rant and rave you can always PM me. :)
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    It's so easy for people to say "oh join a club" and you'll meet your brand-new best friend instantly, it doesn't generally work that way and almost definitely not when you're in the frame of mind that you appear to be in.

That's true. However, the OP can either sit on here or moan about it or do something about - like joining a club, which is a start.
  • Options
    The best way to gain confidence in your weak areas, and to make new aquantances/friends, is to force yourself into a situation that you wouldnt normally do.

Im a really un-confident person and im always shy around new people to the point where i cant eat in front of them, or in fact communicate at all other than saying "yes" or "no".

After alot of personal problems in my second year of uni i was left thinking i hadnt actually made many friends at uni, and someone who i thought was a friend turned out to be the complete opposite. So as soon as my 3rd year started i sat in lectures on my own, people sat next to me (as they do..to fill up seats) and if i missed something a lecturer said i would ask the person next to me in a friendly way if they heard what was said. If the class was given a group task i would ask the people near me if i could work with them, even if i had never spoken to them before. I now just about talk to my entire course members at uni. Which is about 50 people. Of course they are not all friends, but most of them are just people who i would say hello to if i saw them.

I have made an extra 3 "good friends" on my course

Another example of a situation was when it came to accommodation. I decided to move in with 3 people i had never met before, into a student house share. Ive always had a particular weakness with my ability to talk to men, so when i found out that the house i was interested in was home to 3 men, i forced myself to move in. I was nervous, scared and all the rest, but after living with them for a few months i feel totally at ease with them all (just about) and i have made yet another 3 friends

The point of my post is that when you force yourself in a situation, and force yourself to do things, it gives you an adrenaline rush, which is self fulfilling. Its kind of rewarding and when you realise that it is not so bad, that it makes you want to do it again.

By this process i have gained more self confidence and gained more friends.

Maybe you could take a similar approach? Its clear to me that you are lacking in self confidence because you seem to think that nobody likes you and that the world is against you. Its probably not true. It doesnt have to be something irrelevent to your life, just merge new things into your every day activities.

I personally think that you should forget these so called "friends" of yours and make some new ones. It wont happen overnight but if you push yourself enough then it will happen.

Not *all* new people that you meet will become friends. Thats just life.
  • Options
    I certainly don't think that joining a club will magically change anything, for the same reasons briggi says.

But if you aren't going to get off your bum and do something constructive- and heaven knows enough constructive advice as been given- then there isn't much point.

Forcing yourself to seek medical assistance for your troubles is the most important step. And from that you get the other steps, you stop being dependant on other people's approval in life.

I don't exactly have mates coming out of my ears, but I don't care anymore. I think that's the difference.
  • Options
    When I said get a hobby, I didn't really mean do it in the hopes of making friends at a club meet- that can backfire as it's annoying to have someone who's not interested in your subject trying to suck up to you. I meant do it and be passionate about something. Firstly, if you have an interest that you're passionate about and are good at/ see progression in/ feel good doing it, then you will notice things like not having enough friends far less. As humans, we have totally selective memory and poor ability to (what's the word?) assign the right amount of significance to things- especially if we are depressed or low. Secondly, having a hobby may well result in new friends as you might meet people whilst doing it, AND people are far more likely to interested in someone who is interesting, and even if you're shy, having confidance in just one thing like a hobby can really make a difference. You don't even have to mention it, it's the self assuredness.

Kermit is brusk sure, but he mentioned jobs... Want some more advice?- get a telesales job, for a month- I've done it and Boy. Does. It. Ever help you put rejection into perspective. You'll also gain assertiveness, persuasion, understanding what the other person doesn't know that they want and wrapping it up in a bow.

You say you've tried it all and that you speak to a few people, but even the most popular person won't make friends by speaking to a 'few' people- probability wise. If your existing friends don't GIVE (compassion, company, loyalty, fun) then they're not your friend really, remember give/recieve.

And how many friends do you really need? what for? Your post seems a bit like- "oh if only I had longer legs/bigger boobs/a smaller nose etc, my life would be better." But, such concerns are really masking what would make your life better. No one is perfect or lives this "Hollywood" ideal lifestyle- really, honestly truely, even the people who look like/act like they do. They seem that way because they just get on with it.
  • Options
    Hear, hear...
    Kermit wrote:
    Forcing yourself to seek medical assistance for your troubles is the most important step. And from that you get the other steps, you stop being dependant on other people's approval in life.
  • Options
    NeoNero wrote:
    One girl who i was always there for and who apparently 'loved me' and thought i was a 'great guy' and 'wanted me' is no ignoring all my emails or phone calls or what ever to her and has blocked me on msn. I dont know why as i did nothing wrong. :(

I ask a friend to talk to her but she wont do it as shes 'fed up with passing messages onto her from other people'.

I look at my phone book for people to phone, i phone a couple up but none of them answer. I've never got anyone here for me, to talk to me, to cheer me up to be there for me when im low. I'm always alone which just ends up with me going to bed :crying:

Er..leave it? Shit happens.
  • Options
    janeysmith wrote:
    Er..leave it? Shit happens.

clearly not enough shit has happened to you to make you learn some empathy :wave:
  • Options
    NeoNero wrote:
    I cant win can i? You lot are saying go out and chat to people, but i invite people out and they dont want to come with me. I want to go out and have fun and change things but people dont want to come with me. All i get is the same 'i duno' or 'maybe' crap.

So? Life isn't about instant fixes and quick success. You have to work for things if you want success.
    Im not depressed when im out, anyone who met me at either of the meets, was i acting depressive? Id like to think i wasnt and im sure you'll agree.

And to LacyMay, im sorry my life isnt a bed of sweet smelling roses, im sorry ive come onto an advice website which has a forum where people post their questions or problems. Maybe ive miss understood the whole idea of this site and your only allowed to post happy posts.

Do i moan a lot? Maybe but thats cos what ever i do is wrong. I try to make changes but they dont work. EVER no matter HOW OFTEN I TRY. WHICH IS A LOT before someone who has read about 10% of my posts seems to have my whole life worked out.

Yes, life is hard. EVERYONE has difficulties. The trick is to overcome them.
    It was my birthday, i went out to a club and had fun, i went to the cinema and had fun. Did anyone chat to me in the club, not really, i said hi to a few people but no one was really interested cos they were with their social group of friends. I was a stranger to them and their attention drifted quickly which is fair enough as im not their 'friend'.

In a club, you're more interested in pulling a bird/bloke, dancing or simply having a good time with your friends. Making small talk with strangers is secondary to that.
    You know what, id love to set one of you guys or gals a challenge. Meet me for half a day and then at the end of it post your thoughts on me, i honestly cant say you going 'yeah totally depressive guy who only talked about suicide all day long and how ugly he was'...cos i never ever say that sorta stuff to people. I may write it down here but thats the difference, this is me posting, not having a conversation.

I like talia's advice about the twenty question thing, i dont really have any trouble chatting to people ive just met if they are part of the group im in. As theres so many things you can talk about, but a stranger in a club or new place...i find that difficult cos its hard to keep their interest and not seem like some kind of sexual preditor. But i dont have trouble chatting to people and im louder that most people id say.

Keep on trying.
  • Options
    Hey monocrat :waves:
  • Options
    NeoNero wrote:

No one has to like you.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    janeysmith wrote:
    No one has to like you.
    and the same certainly applies with you!
  • Options
    So?
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    clearly not enough shit has happened to you to make you learn some empathy :wave:

He doesn't deserve empathy. Especially if he keeps whining on about how no one has any time for him.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:
    Hey monocrat :waves:

I forgot. People on the Internet can sense your personality! :yeees: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    janeysmith wrote:
    He doesn't deserve empathy. Especially if he keeps whining on about how no one has any time for him.

theres that small thing called consideration
  • Options
    So what?
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Is it just me or do you moan constantly?

He does.