Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Reaction to Prophet Muhammad cartoons in London (pics)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    not really more just an example of what freedom of speech is, they spout crap about what i believe, so i can do so to them :D
    How very adult of you. :yeees:
  • Options
    How very adult of you. :yeees:

very worthy though

so many 'adults' responses have been to arrest all these people - what good would that achieve :s
  • Options
    very worthy though

so many 'adults' responses have been to arrest all these people - what good would that achieve :s
    Is it worthy?

Sometimes it's best to walk away and not aggravate the situation, just because somebody does something does not give you the right to.

And again, I don't understand your answer or what relevence it has to the thread.

The artist is taking the piss out of Muslims because a tiny minority are suicide bombers, that cartoon creates a stereotype and attacks a culturally sensitive subject, it makes a mockery out of Muslims at a time when it really shouldn't... It was insensitive. If somebody created a cartoon about the afro-carrebean community for something like that then there'd be an uproar too.
  • Options
    It would appear that very few people understand the origins of this debate (without reading the whole thread)

The cartoons were published in September (strange it took so long for all the fuss to be kicked up dontcha think?). They were not just published as a piss take but as a part of a debate on how Muslims are represented in society and how the media self-censors itself on Muslim issues (the effect they have had simply proving the inital premise).

Nobody cared when they were published until some extremist Danish clerics went on a tour of the middle east showing these cartoons + other worse ones that not in the paper, in order purely to stoke hatred of the west it would appear.
  • Options
    Is it worthy?

Sometimes it's best to walk away and not aggravate the situation, just because somebody does something does not give you the right to.

And again, I don't understand your answer or what relevence it has to the thread.

The artist is taking the piss out of Muslims because a tiny minority are suicide bombers, that cartoon creates a stereotype and attacks a culturally sensitive subject, it makes a mockery out of Muslims at a time when it really shouldn't... It was insensitive. If somebody created a cartoon about the afro-carrebean community for something like that then there'd be an uproar too.

Except i doubt it would've been saying 'learn from 9/11' and 'kill the west' etc... In fact racist stuff comes up all the time (in family guy for example) but most take it lightly...
  • Options
    I don't actually understand this... is it supposed to be funny?
    It may not be very funny, but it points out in a number of Muslim countries that women are denied an education.
  • Options
    Is it worthy?

btw it's completly different, islam in itself is a relgion and thus by nature a choice, unlike being black or white or orange or yellow or born here or there
  • Options
    how many times!
    it was originaly about how muslims are percieved ...represented in the west.
    it's from last year and the context it was in seems to have been fine then.
    but then some fucking muslim nut jobs start dishing it out all over the place with the sole intent of stirring shit.
    the guilt as far as i can see ...lies with the nut jobs and their violent agenda,.
  • Options
    how many times!
    it was originaly about how muslims are percieved ...represented in the west.
    it's from last year and the context it was in seems to have been fine then.
    but then some fucking muslim nut jobs start dishing it out all over the place with the sole intent of stirring shit.
    the guilt as far as i can see ...lies with the nut jobs and their violent agenda,.
    WOW! I agree with morrocan roll! Amazing!
  • Options
    Well I agree with moon rats last post. I am not so sure about some of the earlier ones though.

Christians have been depicted in less thn favoruable light for years without worldwide revolts and if muslims DON'T wnat to be seen as terrorists then why as these protestors allying themselves with terrorist ideals and conding the attacks, nay, prasing terrorism and its attacks??

those signs put up earlier about the Holocaust probably prove quite a anti-semitism that they wouldn't normally boast about.

I tell you what. I have defended this government over the war on terror, the war in iraq and the pre-immentent moves to prtect socitty such as longer times for holding some1 without charge, using searches before criems happen and even using extraordinary methods to obtain information BUT...

if this government does not arreest every single one of those protestors that had a disgusting sign like we have seen or was hsouting death threats then seriously.... they will truely lose all credibility with me and I may just join the anarchists!!!!!
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    It may not be very funny, but it points out in a number of Muslim countries that women are denied an education.
    Which has what to do with that cartoon?
  • Options
    man dressed as suicide bomber apologises

I'm not passing judgement on his statement for the time being, but I thought I would post it here as it offers an insight into the protesters' minds:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4686410.stm
  • Options
    btw it's completly different, islam in itself is a relgion and thus by nature a choice, unlike being black or white or orange or yellow or born here or there
    So what you're saying is that if they don't want to be singled out or discriminated against they should abandon their religion?

At the end of the day that's their lifestyle, that is the way they are brought up... It is their choice that they decide to follow their religion. I do not condone what these extremists have done, I do not condone human rights violations in countries where Islam is the main religion... But at the end of the day these are human beings and they live in communities, they have their own desires, hopes and dreams as any part of society.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    WOW! I agree with morrocan roll! Amazing!
    here son ...smoke some of this ...calm you down a bit ... :cool:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Examples? I haven't seen that many Arabic newspapers I have still read/looked at many different Jordanian newspapers, and I have never encountered any examples of anti-semitic cartoons.

Well they exist. In this current debate regarding these Muslim cartoons its been mentioned numerous times by journalists. A quick Google link finds some examples too:
    http://www.adl.org/Anti_semitism/arab/cartoon_arab_press_080702.asp
    http://www.adl.org/Anti_semitism/arab/qatar_cartoons.asp

Loads more, can't be bothered to look more as their existence in the Arab press is well established.

Aladdin wrote:
    Oh really? Considering that abortion clinics get routinely bombed and doctors are sometimes shot by Christian fundies in the ultra-policed, strict US, imagine what those people would do if America had the levels of law and order of Syria and Lebanon.

I don’t really think it’s the same. There are very few priests, ministers or preachers who would condone that; even amongst the most fundamentalist Christians I don’t think such actions have widespread support. You certainly wouldn’t see huge crowds of fundamentalist Christians gathering in Dallas in support of killing an abortion doctor. (Meanwhile if a large chunk of Muslims had got their way with Salmon Rushdie pretty rapturous celebrations would have undoubtedly followed…)
    Aladdin wrote:
    For the millionth time, I've never denied its existance. I'm questioning absurd claims about a "majority" of Muslims subscribing to that rubbish.

You don't like Muslims very much as a rule, do you?

I’m not sure on the exact proportions but in the Middle East a massive number of Muslims hold clearly anti-Semitic and homophobic views; from everything I’ve read that seems pretty evident. Indeed, in the West while not necessarily a majority an awful lot of Muslims seem to sympathise with anti-Semitism and homophobia. Regarding these Muslim cartoon protests the violent and threatening response of a massive number of Muslims has been met with limited condemnation within the Arab world..

Although credit where it’s due – I was reading in Haaretz that the Lebanese cabinet has apologised to Denmark after thousands of Muslims set fire to the Danish consulate in Beirut. I have absolutely nothing against Muslims however I can’t defend the extreme acts of violence, homophobia, anti-Semitism and sexism that seem especially prevalent within Islam.
  • Options
    Hmm ADL? I've always been dubious of that site...not much different to Stormfront tbh.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Hmm ADL? I've always been dubious of that site...not much different to Stormfront tbh.

Well you're pretty thick then.

The aim of the ADL is to ‘stop the defamation of the Jewish people and to secure justice and fair treatment for all citizens alike’. Stormfront is an extremely hateful racist and anti-Semitic white pride website as far as I know. The two have completely contradicting values – there is nothing the ADL have ever done that could possibly be compared to anything that appears on Stormfront.

Incidentally are you trying to say anti-Semitism in the Arab media doesn’t exist? Are you saying the ADL invented those images? If you bother to do the slightest bit of research you’ll find dozens of other sources detailing anti-Semitism in the Arab media, not that I think you'd care.
  • Options
    No I'm not trying to say it doesn't exist, I'm sure it does exist.

Stormfront and the ADL are two exremely biased, racial-driven websites. Both sites play the sympathy card to gain support and to create hate.
  • Options
    B'nai B'rith is one of the neocons' central pillar organisations (along with AIPAC, JDL and a host of "think tanks") and has been a bastion of extremist anti-democratic nutcases for decades. Not surprising Dis should subscribe to their mindset and consider them to be representative of liberal democratic values.

Some interesting background on them and their activities...

Truth behind the public claims

See: San Francisco Spying Scandal
  • Options
    Some slightly more balanced information about the ADL is on wikipedia.

Turlough, you seem totally unaware of the ADL’s work, its commitment to interfaith dialogue and criticism of extreme anti-Muslim statements made by some in the United States.

The ADL does not equate anti-Zionism with anti-Semitism, they’ve noted that for some people seemingly legitimate criticism of Israel is a mask for anti-Semitism but the implication that its some far-right Jewish nationalist organisation is as untrue as it is ridiculous. They don't have any problem with criticism of Israel in principle.

Equating the ADL with Stormfront is as ridiculous, offensive and absurd as saying the same of the NAACP and Ku Klux Klan. I can't be bothered to even discuss this; the ADL's work is widely recognised - I frankly have better things to do than consider ranting conspiracy theorist interpretations of the ADL’s work.
  • Options
    Wikipedia, with no verifiable source for its entries. Yes there is Dis's standard of academic credibility and intellectual honesty.

Im sure those who take the time to read the review of Lillienthal (himself an accredited scholar and a Jew) will find his analysis of the extremist nature of the ADL more than adequately balanced and accurate.
    They don't have any problem with criticism of Israel in principle.

Only in their rhetoric, which is obviously sufficient for those who refuse to look any deeper into the history of its intimidationary practicies in the political sphere and its history of spying on American citizens and legitimate dissident groups.

Afraid of the truth of your own adherence to extremist and truly anti-liberal democratic beliefs, dear ideologue? It certainly appears so.
    I frankly have better things to do than consider ranting conspiracy theorist interpretations of the ADL’s work.

When historical fact shows your lack of academic credibility, opt for the classic "conspiracy theory" accusation and run away. What an interesting (if wholly disingenuous) historian you should make.
  • Options
    Wikipedia, with no verifiable source for its entries. Yes there is Dis's standard of academic credibility and intellectual honesty.

I’m perfectly aware of the scope for inaccuracies on Wikipedia and need to scrutinise it. However, having read the particular article I linked to I thought it gave a brief and critical albeit reasonably fair description of the ADL. I fail to see how linking to Wikipedia makes me intellectually dishonest, I think you’re starting to lose it Clandestine.
    Im sure those who take the time to read the review of Lillienthal (himself an accredited scholar and a Jew) will find his analysis of the extremist nature of the ADL more than adequately balanced and accurate.

Anything but balanced…And uh what’s the author being Jewish got to do with anything? I really am tired of you trying to legitimise your hatred towards Israel and Jewish organisations by citing the odd Jew that agrees with you. Some Italian Jews supported Mussolini, there’s even a senior Jewish member of the BNP I believe – yet I don’t think fascism gains any legitimacy by having the odd Jew support it. Yet you seem to apply the logic that because a Jew self-hating or not agrees with your tirades there somehow right.

(And guess what? Some Muslims/Arabs/Palestinians support Israel, incidentally due to the persecution that Palestinians face for supporting Israel and the lack of a free press in the Arab world their numbers are unsurprisingly proportionally lower however).
    When historical fact shows your lack of academic credibility, opt for the classic "conspiracy theory" accusation and run away. What an interesting (if wholly disingenuous) historian you should make.

Thanks. I wonder what authority your judgement of my historical abilities is based on. I am not at university yet anyway - although since you have never read any academic work of mine I don't think you can reach a meaningful conclusion on my aptitude to study history, you're welcome of course to trawl through my A-level history essays if you have nothing better to do.
  • Options
    Just to go back to the cartoon and protests for a second. The ones who were insighting violence and hatred and terrorism, i do think should be arrested as what they did is a crime. The ones who were merely protesting the cartoons, im ok with.
  • Options
    Well they exist. In this current debate regarding these Muslim cartoons its been mentioned numerous times by journalists. A quick Google link finds some examples too:
    http://www.adl.org/Anti_semitism/arab/cartoon_arab_press_080702.asp
    http://www.adl.org/Anti_semitism/arab/qatar_cartoons.asp

Loads more, can't be bothered to look more as their existence in the Arab press is well established.
    In some press, yes. It would appear so.

In a lot of other press, no.

Incidentally, from the first link, how are cartoons 1, 5 and 6 anti-semitic, exactly?

I don’t really think it’s the same. There are very few priests, ministers or preachers who would condone that; even amongst the most fundamentalist Christians I don’t think such actions have widespread support.
    There are few priests who would- just as there are a few radical clerics who would. Mainstream clerics wouldn't though.
    You certainly wouldn’t see huge crowds of fundamentalist Christians gathering in Dallas in support of killing an abortion doctor.
    Good. I haven't seen any huge crowds of fundamentalist Muslims anywhere, so I guess we're quits.
    (Meanwhile if a large chunk of Muslims had got their way with Salmon Rushdie pretty rapturous celebrations would have undoubtedly followed…)
    Of course... just like there were millions of Muslims dancing on the streets on Sep. 11th 2001.

Prejudice, speculation and smear.

I’m not sure on the exact proportions but in the Middle East a massive number of Muslims hold clearly anti-Semitic and homophobic views; from everything I’ve read that seems pretty evident.
    I've seen a lot of anti Israeli government sentiment- not to be confused with anti-semitism, mind.
    Indeed, in the West while not necessarily a majority an awful lot of Muslims seem to sympathise with anti-Semitism and homophobia. Regarding these Muslim cartoon protests the violent and threatening response of a massive number of Muslims has been met with limited condemnation within the Arab world..

Although credit where it’s due – I was reading in Haaretz that the Lebanese cabinet has apologised to Denmark after thousands of Muslims set fire to the Danish consulate in Beirut. I have absolutely nothing against Muslims however I can’t defend the extreme acts of violence, homophobia, anti-Semitism and sexism that seem especially prevalent within Islam.
    I can't defend them either- the only thing is, they're not "prevalent" within Islam.
  • Options
    fail to see how linking to Wikipedia makes me intellectually dishonest, I think you’re starting to lose it Clandestine.

Oh you fail to see your own routine duplicity? Let's spell it out for the cognitively selective then shall we?

You have repeatedly used the lame fallback argument in every discussion of the patented whitewash by the Zionist movement and the Israeli state of the ethnocidal clearances of the land of some 800,000 original indigenous inhabitants and the eradication from the accepted text book record of the towns and villages they once inhabited, by asserting my sources as "amateur conspiracy sites" (when the record of populations prior to 1948 back to the earlier part of the century are quite verifiable in UN records).

Now that scholarly and factual analyses is presented exposing the extremism inherent to your own ideology and organisations such as the ADL (B'nai B'rith), you run where? To an open source, non-verifiably authored entry in an "amateur" online encyclopedia. Fact is you are an intellectual coward more devoted to insulating your gullibly susbcribed-to ideology from critical review of its blatant anti-democratic character than confronting the fraud behind its sanitised rhetoric.

Fact is you are so blinded by extremism and bigotted particularist ideology that you embarrass yourself by claiming to present a "balanced" rebuttal. You rebutted nothing, but simply adopted the coward's mantra and screamed "conspiracy theory" at analyses with is anything but.

Keep dodging and clinging to your extrmism, you've shown all too clearly how similar in underlying principle you are to those you regularly condemn. Just as reactionary, seeking to avoid rational critique and accountability for the sake of promoting your own camp as justified for its institutionlised violence and lies.
  • Options
    Jew self-hating

Case in point yet again. When you cannot answer the scholarship and integrity of the analysis, run for the smear labels and try to kill all reasoned factual critique with the favorite slogans of your extremist ideological camp.

Don't think Lillienthal hates himself, Nutcase ideologues and ideologies like Zionism indeed, but certainly not himself or his religious heritage. The intellectually honest are capable of making the distinction, telling that you cannot or will not face the harsh truth.
  • Options
    So what you're saying is that if they don't want to be singled out or discriminated against they should abandon their religion?

religion in itself is fundamentally, a choice, im not saying it shouldnt exist, im just saying people shouldnt be allowed all they believe all the time..... would you allow a facist to not be schooled with all they see as 'liberals'

At the end of the day that's their lifestyle, that is the way they are brought up... It is their choice that they decide to follow their religion. I do not condone what these extremists have done, I do not condone human rights violations in countries where Islam is the main religion... But at the end of the day these are human beings and they live in communities, they have their own desires, hopes and dreams as any part of society.
    i knwo you don't condone it, i haven't said you are :thumb:
  • Options
    religion in itself is fundamentally, a choice, im not saying it shouldnt exist, im just saying people shouldnt be allowed all they believe all the time..... would you allow a facist to not be schooled with all they see as 'liberals'
    So how far do you go?

And you can't stop people believing anything.
  • Options
    So how far do you go?

And you can't stop people believing anything.

you go as far as is decided is fair

if these people want a theocracy go to another country
  • Options