Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hot club songs at the minute!

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Some sweeeet House! Fred Everything!

Fred Everything, Live @ Proton Radio - Jan.2006
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Oh, shut up. I've been listening to dance music since I first got a radio. I'm not taking any lectures from the likes of you about music.
    In my eyes, there was no need for that.
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Off the point but this comment made me laugh :D

made me panic for a second... but no, I'm fine, although I smoke I have no gold jewelry and only wear sports wear for training!
  • Options
    And, on a musical note, I'm not sure I know the difference between house and trance- they're both 'dance' to me. Though why they call 'dance' music 'dance' is a bit beyond me- not the kinda stuff I likes to dance to. Well, ok I've been dragged (kicking and screaming until the drugs kicked in) to a few clubs and illy raves, which turned out to be fun- but I'd never suggest it for a night out.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I always found the Subliminal and Defected stuff a tad cheesey personally. Some good stuff, but far too much "funky" house shite.
    You wouldn't like my tastes in house then, I like it funky! Though darker stuff can whet my appetite too.
    katralla wrote:
    I'm not sure I know the difference between house and trance- they're both 'dance' to me. Though why they call 'dance' music 'dance' is a bit beyond me- not the kinda stuff I likes to dance to.
    It's just a catch-all label, I think. If you like "dance", it could mean anything from house, trance, R&B, drum and bass... it's a huge genre nowadays, maybe too big.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    And, on a musical note, I'm not sure I know the difference between house and trance- they're both 'dance' to me.

There is a big difference between the two, just like there is a big difference between punk and indie music. It's all about tempo, rythym and shit like that.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    You wouldn't like my tastes in house then, I like it funky! Though darker stuff can whet my appetite too.

Problem with "funky house" is that it isn't funky and it isn't really house. Its commercial fodder for the superclubs.
  • Options
    One of my latest additions to my favoruite dance tracks is;

Praise cats featuring Andrea Love shined on me.
  • Options

Praise cats featuring Andrea Love shined on me.

Yet another commercial Jank lover! ;)
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Problem with "funky house" is that it isn't funky and it isn't really house. Its commercial fodder for the superclubs.
    Yes. And the problem with that is?
    Praise Cats feat. Andrea Love - Shined On Me.
    Erm... I'm not sure about this one. The vocal's annoyingly catchy, but there's only so many times I can listen to this. It's been around since Spring 2004.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Yes. And the problem with that is?

Errrrmmm...its undanceable tedious rubbish?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Errrrmmm...its undanceable tedious rubbish?
    Naturally I disagree of course. I hope you're not going to recommend I listen to Richie Hawtin or something. Half a kick drum and a pathetic little beat, and you've a "minimal" record. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Naturally I disagree of course. I hope you're not going to recommend I listen to Richie Hawtin or something. Half a kick drum and a pathetic little beat, and you've a "minimal" record. :rolleyes:

I wasn't talking about techno, but if I was then I'd guess you've never actually heard any Ritchie Hawtin. May I recommend DE9: Closer to the Edit. May I also recommend the 430 West compilations "Detroit Calling" and "Back to the Rhythm".

If you want to hear some decent house on the other hand, can I recommend Diy, Inland Knights/Smokescreen, Derrick Carter, Luke Solomon and Mark Farina. That's proper house music.
  • Options
    Decks, EFX & 909 mixed by Hawtin is quality stuff but i don't like his other stuff, like DE9 but i guess again thats just my taste so who cares :D
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    If you want to hear some decent house on the other hand, can I recommend Diy, Inland Knights/Smokescreen, Derrick Carter, Luke Solomon and Mark Farina. That's proper house music.

:yes:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Nash wrote:
    I think Skive et al would appreciate some Old Skool Hardcore from 94!

Mixtape DJ Dano

Side A

Side B

:thumb: Cheers! Stompin.

These sets are well worth a listen.... even if it's just to listen to Jon da Shark.

Clarkee & MC Sharkey HS Discovery 96 - Hardcore (proper)
    side 1 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/jlrqzl
    side 2 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/0fuyz1

Mzone & Sharkey @ Slammin 99 - Hard Trance
    side 1 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/d6dvvw
    side 2 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/xzix1p
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I wasn't talking about techno, but if I was then I'd guess you've never actually heard any Ritchie Hawtin. May I recommend DE9: Closer to the Edit. May I also recommend the 430 West compilations "Detroit Calling" and "Back to the Rhythm".

Naturally, I again disagree with that. I often listen to a lot of albums from labels such as SuSu/Concept Music, Defected, Subliminal, CR2... basically the sort of labels you wouldn't have any time for. I must admit I like Derrick Carter's productions, though.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Naturally, I again disagree with that. I often listen to a lot of albums from labels such as SuSu/Concept Music, Defected, Subliminal, CR2... basically the sort of labels you wouldn't have any time for. I must admit I like Derrick Carter's productions, though.

I have a couple of things on Subliminal and a couple of things on Defected that I like. Mostly I find them terribly cheesy though. Although I have to admit I haven't bought any vinyl for about 3 years now. The sort of stuff I used to buy and play was a mixture of Detroit techno, tech-house and deep house (with the odd break thrown in). Labels like 20:20 Vision, DiY Discs/Strictly 4 Groovers, Drop Music, Pagan, UR, Red Planet, 430 West, Planet E, Eukahouse, End Recordings, Wiggle etc.

These days when I DJ I play punk/post-punk, reggae, funk, soul, indie etc off CD. Means I don't have to worry about mixing...
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Decks, EFX & 909 mixed by Hawtin is quality stuff but i don't like his other stuff, like DE9 but i guess again thats just my taste so who cares :D

Closer to the Edit is quality. He's taken loads of well known Detroit and Chicago tunes, stripped them down to loops and reassembled them. Taking mixing to its limits really. Good stuff. :cool:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    just like there is a big difference between punk and indie music.

Huh? Are you pulling my leg?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I have a couple of things on Subliminal and a couple of things on Defected that I like. Mostly I find them terribly cheesy though. The sort of stuff I used to buy and play was a mixture of Detroit techno, tech-house and deep house... Labels like 20:20 Vision, DiY Discs/Strictly 4 Groovers, Drop Music, Pagan, UR, Red Planet, 430 West, End Recordings etc.
    430 West... aren't they the label that released DJ Rolando Vs Aztec Mystic - "Jaguar" back in 2000? Ah, that takes me back.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    430 West... aren't they the label that released DJ Rolando Vs Aztec Mystic - "Jaguar" back in 2000? Ah, that takes me back.

Yeah a classic, will listen to it now infact. Finally, a thread where we can talk about real music :D
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

Jaguar was either on 430 West or UR (they're sister labels anyway). That's proper techno that is.
    Check http://www.submerge.com/ and http://www.undergroundresistance.com/
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Yeah a classic, will listen to it now infact. Finally, a thread where we can talk about real music :D
    I hated it at the time, I like it now. At least we're not talking about Uniting Nations or Sunblock, we can all agree that stuff is horrendously bad.
  • Options
    Or DJ Sammy, serioulsy if anyone likes him i will leave these boards forever :D
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Or DJ Sammy, serioulsy if anyone likes him i will leave these boards forever :D
    Checking the Juno Records website recently, I noticed he's released a track in Germany called "Libby Hada". It's been remixed by Randy Katana, who makes some amazing trance productions. Unfortunately, it being a remix of a DJ Sammy record, it makes it shite.
  • Options
    Ahhhh Juno Records :D quality site. Good service also.

Lets never mention DJ Sammy again ... please.
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Ahhhh Juno Records :D quality site. Good service also.
    Let's never mention DJ Sammy again ... please.
    Don't worry, there are millions of other DJs who are making crap covers of records at the moment. Only last year, we had an awful cover of Fleetwood Mac. :yuck:
  • Options
    Listening to a Chris Liebing set will ease my pain :D of thinking about the shite some people make.
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Listening to a Chris Liebing set will ease my pain :D of thinking about the shite some people make.
    I think whoever lumbered the world with the Baywatch theme should apologise.