Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pick your brains please

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    The reason they for this is that on a check out you are technically a "food handler" (which is why check out staff can't wear nail varnish for example).

So from the food hygiene law point of view you shouldn't be able to drink whilst handling food (the same as chefs can't have a drink or a snack whilst in the kitchen cooking).

The breaks thing has already been covered, you aren't legally entitled to anymore.

But try to speak to your employer, maybe they can make some allowance for you to go away from the check out to get water.
  • Options
    Be nice if they supplied you with some little juice packets with straws then yuo can have a quick drag between customers!!

that wouldn't work though 'cause it'd be liable to spill everywhere. potential health and safety hazard!
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Yeah they told us that we only had to have 20 mins by law. They are so generous :/

I don't know if it's the same across the board, but at the Co-op, break allowances are as follows:
    3 hours or less - no break
    4-7 hours - 15 minutes paid break
    8 hours+ is 1hr unpaid, 15 minutes paid, 15 minutes unpaid.

When I'm on till, it's usually for about 6 hours at a time, and we aren't allowed drinks there. I did when I had a cough once but that was only because the alternative was me not being there.

Contact the head office, and ask their advice on break allowances etc.
  • Options
    Can you not have a drink when you go for a loo break?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Kentish wrote:
    Unless I misunderstood, the problem is that she needs water more often than that.
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Unless I misunderstood, the problem is that she needs water more often than that.
    A loo break is different from a normal break. They're being real tight fucks if they won't let you go to the bloody toilet.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Franki wrote:
    A loo break is different from a normal break. They're being real tight fucks if they won't let you go to the bloody toilet.
    Ahh yes, I got it now. :D
  • Options
    Tweety I work at Asda too,

We're not allowed drinks on our checkouts, they say its cos of the electrics in the tills. I can usually do without (unless im hungover) but they're not mega strict and turn a blind eye if you put it under your checkout, and when its quiet just dip under and have a swig, like somebody else said they do!

Everyones said you're not entitled to more of a break by law but Asda are pretty good about it, if I work 8 hours I get a dinner/tea and a 15 minute break! I suppose it depends on the store?
  • Options
    If you're working a check out stand couldn't you just stash a bottle under the counter and take sips when no one is looking? Probably already covered that one.

on a completely random note, why do a bunch of people all have similar avatars?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

We aren't meant to have them really
    We are meant to use our break fo that :/ thats my problem!
  • Options
    turn a blind eye if you put it under your checkout, and when its quiet just dip under and have a swig, like somebody else said they do!

Thats all people were doing . thats whats been banned! :impissed:
  • Options
    on a completely random note, why do a bunch of people all have similar avatars?

Beacsue franki is nice and made them for us :D
  • Options
    When I worked in retail, we could have drinks when we needed them, but had to have them off the shop floor. You need to speak to the management and phone ACAS as mentioned before (there really helpful). Its illegal for them to deny you access to water, buts its up to them how they interpet that.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    We aren't meant to have them really
    We are meant to use our break fo that :/ thats my problem!
    Have a drink when you take a break then.

If you need a constant supply of fluid, you should be speaking to your GP rather than Human Resources.

ps Short of supplying their staff with catheter bags, I can't see how they can stop you having a loo break. :confused:
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Beacsue franki is nice and made them for us :D
    oh, cool.
  • Options
    When I worked for Bhs they had a tea coffee machine at 20/30p for tea/coffee/cappuchino etc and a canned drink vending machine (something like 60p a go :/ ) They also apparently had a water machine but it wasn't there when I started (or left 9 weeks later)

The can machine was forever out of order and on the second last day of my employment there was a notice on the comm. board saying that the tea/coffee machine had been taken away. Didn't even say if it was coming back!

However, in the basement it was really boiling and our DM allowed us to bring cans/water down with us and keep them in the back room (right behind the till)

Seems like a bit of a joke where you're concerned, Tweety.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Have a drink when you take a break then.

If you need a constant supply of fluid, you should be speaking to your GP rather than Human Resources.

ps Short of supplying their staff with catheter bags, I can't see how they can stop you having a loo break. :confused:

I do, i drink tons whilst on my break. As for speaking to my doctor i already have and was told that some people just need more than others. I don't need it constantly, but 3 1/2 hours is far too long for me also.
  • Options
    As i can see some of you don't see a problem with it and thats fair enough but it is for me.
  • Options
    K now im dreading when I have to start a job the next few weeks. I need a drink of water about every two minutes and i really dont like not having a glass/bottle of water next to me, it worries me and if i can't have a drink i just need it more. And if i leave it for too long to have a drink i start getting headaches, in fact as im typing this my waters run out but im waiting till i finish typing this to get more and a headaches coming on, and my mouth is mega dry.
    Maybe if i was working and so i was distracted i wouldnt need it as much. Should I be talking to a doctor, I drink at least 8 pints a day but ive heard you should drink that much anyway so i didnt think it was a problem.
  • Options
    There was a rule at Haven that we couldn't drink on the shop floor, but no one paid the slightest bit of attention to it. Even the manager couldn't be arsed. One day, I was on the till and he told me to go make some tea for the two of us. We both sat down behind the tills, serving customers and drinking tea. :lol: The only time they bothered reinforcing this rule was the two or three days a season which inspectors would visit the shop. Happy days...
  • Options
    Well its all sorted now, i can have a drink at the till as long as i get a doctors note soon.