Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Are Hackers Good?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well yes but destroy is a harsh word; but where i'm going with this is, the time it would take me to code a crack, well i could probably earn enough money taking on a scriptlance job to buy the software.

Now the other guy (can't remember the name) is arguing that he's only one person doing it, now if none of the cracks were released publicly, then it wouldn't pose a problem.

When i code, i code and make everything completely open source and free. Is there a better way to beat crackers?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    What difference does it make? It's a person trying to destory somebody else's work. Regardless of distribution its theft.

Where do you stand, on using a NoCD crack when you own the game? Doin't mind or still dislike?

Cracking isn't really theft. The cracker usually has bought the game, to play, and cracks it because it is a challenge, be it NoCD or Security software cracking. It becomes a form of theft, when the crack is used by pirates, or for piracy by the cracker. Then the only theft is the people who are downloading it anyway. Not the source, as they own the game.

Cracks are somewhat a legal grey area, it seems.
  • Options
    I bought half life 2, and had tonnes of problems getting it working (managed in the end, it was steam fucking up my processor). Found out if I downloaded the illegal version, Id never have had the problems.

Food for thought?

FWIW software piracy isnt completely the same as theft. If its intellectual copyrighted material, why cant you copyright a recipe for a cake in the same way? Or a drink?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Steam was not prepared for the overload of the traffic.

And I am prepared to give Valve my money. Those guys deserve it. Someone like EA, on other hand...
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Steam was not prepared for the overload of the traffic.

And I am prepared to give Valve my money. Those guys deserve it. Someone like EA, on other hand...

I actually like EA games, like battlefield :). My problem with steam had nothing to do with the traffic at all, it was when it was starting up it used up all my system processer power, so my wireless card cut off, which meant it couldnt connect, etc. I solved it by everytime I start up steam I right click steam.exe in processes and set its priority to lowest. Then It only consumes 98% of my processor power, lol. I wasnt advocating pirating it by the way, just thought it was annoying that it would have worked more easily if I had downloaded it.

The only games I download these days really is abandonware, which is kinda a legal grey area.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Piracy > Paying.

This is my mathimatical answer to this thread.
  • Options
    ive came to the conclusion that some people here don't have a fucking clue how the warez scene works

maybe you should and learn the ins and outs of it before you come here and start mouthing off about something you obviously don't understand too well
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    ive came to the conclusion that some people here don't have a fucking clue how the warez scene works

maybe you should and learn the ins and outs of it before you come here and start mouthing off about something you obviously don't understand too well

If those hackers are writing cracks just for themselves how do they even get into the public domain? Unless of course people here are writing their own cracks they are getting them from somebody else.

NoCD cracks aren't a problem. That doesn't mean the hacker that wrote it is a good person though.

Open Source is entirely pointless if you are doing something to make money. Open Source (as firefox has discovered) just makes it even easier for people to find flaws in your programs and exploit them.

You can protect recipes for a cake. Why don't you tell me for example the recipe for Big Mac sauce? It is intellectual property of McDonalds and I am pretty certain if somebody stole it they would be sued.

z01 as you have yet in any way to say anything sensible rather than "you don't know what your talking about" then I have come to the conclusion that you yourself have absolutely no defence of your immoral and selfish actions.

If you ever wrote software then I am sure you might actually have some knowledge on how things like warez and pirating are done TECHNICALLY rather than "oooo look a crack exists" and also the harm they can cause to systems. However obviously you are amazing and don't think that its a dubious thing for people to download exe files that can't really be verified to their intent and run them on peoples machines.

I hope next time you steal somebodys property that the crack you get fucks you over.
  • Options
    You can protect recipes for a cake. Why don't you tell me for example the recipe for Big Mac sauce? It is intellectual property of McDonalds and I am pretty certain if somebody stole it they would be sued.

Not so. You are allowed to have 'secret' recipes in that you dont publish what it is, but you cant copyright a recipe. If you knew the formulation for big mac sauce you're allowed to make as much as you like. Bizarre. (if its a cookbook then you can copyright it as its a piece of literature).
  • Options
    You can't reverse engineer recipes in the same way as you can software. If you could hide your source code in a way it could never be deciphered then maybe you wouldn't need copyright laws.