Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Women 'deserve' to be raped

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kentish wrote:
    No, men whose reputations have been ruined by false claims of rape should have the chance to clear their names publicly.

The acquittal does that.
    I also think there is nothing wrong with acknowledging that some claims of rape are false and represent alcohol-induced misjudgments.

The false reporting figures for rape are no higher than for any other crime.

Some are false. Of course they are.
    But advice given to prevent sexual assault and rape can legitimately include making sensible judgments about sexual encounters and avoiding putting oneself in a position of danger.

sadly though, the advice stretches to not wearing sexy clothing and not going out and getting drunk. No condemnation of predatory men is ever mentioned.
    The survey results represent the fall-out of our irresponsibly promiscuous society in which sex is too often an act carried out in haste, with strangers and under the influence of alcohol.

I don't think it does.

It represents the views of a society in which any woman who dares to enjoy her sexuality is seen as a deviant, who gets what is coming to her. If she wears sexy clothes and gets drunk she obviously is saying yes, that is what the results of this survey says.

You are also confusing promiscuity, sex and rape. If a woman sleeps with 45 men, is she saying yes to the 46th? No? Then why mention the "promiscuous" society at all.

You are also saying that women shouldn't sleep around, because they're asking for it. Why else mention promiscuity- or does it not count when its men bonking around?

This survey also says that out of every jury, four jurors will believe a woman who was drunk was asking for it, and they will acquit a rapist. That is the most telling thing of all.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The acquittal does that.
    Hardly, not when your picture has been splashed around the media. How many retractions of allegations have you read? Any on the front pages?
    The false reporting figures for rape are no higher than for any other crime.

Some are false. Of course they are.
    But because it is so hard to prove rape, and conversely to prove that consensual sex took place, the false allegations will inevitably be at the back of a juror's mind in a trial situation.
    sadly though, the advice stretches to not wearing sexy clothing and not going out and getting drunk. No condemnation of predatory men is ever mentioned.
    But that goes without saying. And actually not all rapes are carried out by "predatory" men. How many men can say that they obtained explicit consent for sexual intercourse from their partner each time they have sex?
    I don't think it does.

It represents the views of a society in which any woman who dares to enjoy her sexuality is seen as a deviant, who gets what is coming to her. If she wears sexy clothes and gets drunk she obviously is saying yes, that is what the results of this survey says.
    Don't misunderstand me - I am no apologist for rapists. I don't agree with the third who responded to the survey in this way, but if a girl wants to avoid the possibility of being a rape victim, she should be responsible in looking after herself. So getting drunk is one thing but getting paralytic and then walking home alone late at night through a deserted park is putting herself in a position of danger. That is not the same as blaming the woman for getting raped.
    You are also confusing promiscuity, sex and rape. If a woman sleeps with 45 men, is she saying yes to the 46th? No? Then why mention the "promiscuous" society at all.
    Because it becomes harder to prove consensual sex didn't take place if a woman's normal habits are to take a different man home each week.
    You are also saying that women shouldn't sleep around, because they're asking for it. Why else mention promiscuity- or does it not count when its men bonking around?
    Of course it applies equally male rape, which is probably even more under-reported and for which even fewer convictions are achieved. And I'm not dictating what anyone does with their sex life, but I am saying that they should make sensible decisions about who they want to sleep with.
    This survey also says that out of every jury, four jurors will believe a woman who was drunk was asking for it, and they will acquit a rapist. That is the most telling thing of all.
    I thought you said acquittal = clearing the defendant's name publicly?

If you assume all men acquitted of rape are actually guilty, are you not just as bad as those assuming that the women are responsible for getting raped?
  • Options
    Consciously, nothing can justify, or even reasonably debate rape.

Subconsciously we are animals. We hunt what we are attracted to. Thankfully our subconscious doesn't directly control some of our actions.

I could imagine a situation where a belligerent, nonchalant lady dressing in sexually suggestive garments, and wearing parfume would get raped. I could also imagine someone logically stating "what did you expect?" and I could see where they're coming from. I don't agree with their possible opinions, but I could see how someone acting like the described would be more of a target than say a lady wearing a large overcoat and a cap. Still doesn't justify rape.
  • Options
    Nevertheless I concede actual rape is increasing, a direct result of feminism.

Which sex do we blame that on?
    Women of course, isn't it? If they stayed in the kitchen where they belong they wouldn't be raped, instead of thinking they have the right to go out with friends and have a good time practically naked and provoking red-blooded men to do what's natural.

Go tapdance on a minefield, dipshit.
  • Options
    Well even if they stayed in the kitchen, they'd probably get raped too.

You are statistically most likely to get raped by a partner, parent or sibling.

Kentish: given the false reporting rate is no higher than elsewhere, the conviction rate indicates that rapists are getting away with it because of a lack of conclusive proof. If they are acquitted then their name is clear, but we need to remember that rapists are getting away with it because of attitudes spouted by those interviewed by Amnesty.

Rape is only ever believed if it is violent and by a stranger. Partners who rape very rarely get convicted; even occasional sexual partners who rape rarely get convicted. It is a huge problem, as a woman is far less likely to get raped by a stranger than by a partner or parent.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Well even if they stayed in the kitchen, they'd probably get raped too.

You are statistically most likely to get raped by a partner, parent or sibling.

actually its people you know but aren't too close with as well
  • Options
    Subconsciously we are animals. We hunt what we are attracted to. Thankfully our subconscious doesn't directly control some of our actions.

Wrong. Your unconscious controls all of your actions. It feeds only those thoughts it wants acting on into the conscious. This is why the conscious mind cannot give up smoking until the unconscious wants to, as an example.
    If they are acquitted then their name is clear

No they aren't. Legally they might be, but people are fuckwits and do the whole "no smoke without fire" bit. They go in the same boat as acquitted paedo's for most people. Be nice to their face, but they aren't babysitting again, if you see what I mean.
  • Options
    http://www.amnesty.org.uk/news/press/16618.shtml

dont get me wrong i think there's a lot of bigoted people out there however i think the point i was trying to say is that i dont trust how they conducted the survey - they could of asked the respondants in a way that could of been interpreted as "if a woman is wearing revealing clothes, would it make her more likely to get raped" - obviously the person who does the rape is entirely responsible for commiting the grotesque offence, however it doesnt detract from how the question is interpreted

i'd also suspect the amount of rapes on men that are reported are FAR less than what it is really, much less than 15% and this survey has done nothing about finding out the real level of offences commited to both sexes but only highlight certain dispicable attitudes in this country even if it's overblown them

those of certain strict beliefs might also think that the victim if they had a bad reputation that its their fault for getting a reputation even if its not their fault they got raped and as kermit pointed out, most rapes are commited by a known person, not a stranger in a club
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    You know when people come to Anything Goes looking to get more people interested in the politics board? Well, this is part of the reason you get very few new recruits.

If people can't stand by what they say, then tough shit.
  • Options
    i'd also suspect the amount of rapes on men that are reported are FAR less than what it is really, much less than 15% and this survey has done nothing about finding out the real level of offences commited to both sexes but only highlight certain dispicable attitudes in this country even if it's overblown them

Oh noes, it's the feminists! Run!

I appreciate what you are saying, the sexual assault of male victims isn't looked after enough, although the Met through Operation Sapphire are actually targeting help at male victims of sexual assault and rape. It has only been illegal since 1994, which is a horrible indictment on society.

The thing that irritates me about this is that this always happens. We talk about DV against women, and people moan "what about the men!". Rape is a predominantly female problem, estimates from US studiesurl=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/293884.stm]source[/url show that about 10-15% of all rapes are against men. Of course its a significant problem, but 80% is a bigger problem.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    If people can't stand by what they say, then tough shit.

You really are a pleasent chap...

We are trying to open the board up to more users. However people with like yourself pouncing on every little typing error on incosistency in their argument its going to scare them off. Dont take everything so seriously ffs.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    We are trying to open the board up to more users. However people with like yourself pouncing on every little typing error on incosistency in their argument its going to scare them off. Dont take everything so seriously ffs.

It wasn't a case of pouncing on a typo.

Violette was saying that she disagreed that women deserved to be raped, but that if they did anything sexual then they were asking for it. That opinion was quite rightly challenged by Blagsta, and Violette was invited to justify the way she was arguing.

Why mention the girl who "lied" if the poster's agenda was to say that women deserve it? Why use such charming terms as "dick teasing" if the agenda is not that women deserve it? That is what Violette was saying, essentially, and it was rightly challenged.

If she wasn't saying it she should have corrected herself. To me it read like she was doing the old trick of "my mate reckons x, but I don't, not at all :no:" to avoid a challenge on those views.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    You really are a pleasent chap...

If someone doesn't have the guts to defend their opinions, what's the point in stating them?
  • Options
    http://www.amnesty.org.uk/news/press/16618.shtml

dont get me wrong i think there's a lot of bigoted people out there however i think the point i was trying to say is that i dont trust how they conducted the survey - they could of asked the respondants in a way that could of been interpreted as "if a woman is wearing revealing clothes, would it make her more likely to get raped" - obviously the person who does the rape is entirely responsible for commiting the grotesque offence, however it doesnt detract from how the question is interpreted

those of certain strict beliefs might also think that the victim if they had a bad reputation that its their fault for getting a reputation even if its not their fault they got raped and as kermit pointed out, most rapes are commited by a known person, not a stranger in a club

This survey isn't about prevention of rape, it isn't about amount of rape - it's about attitudes towards rape after the fact. It's a survey specifically looking at the attitudes of people who will be on jurys deciding if a rape case is true or not.
  • Options
    Nevertheless I concede actual rape is increasing, a direct result of feminism.

Which sex do we blame that on?

Evidence?

Sorry... but for the first tme in my life I really have to be unpleasent on these boards....

You're a pig, justfor thinking that. What you're saying is that women deserve to be raped because they want equal pay, birth control and the vote. You have one cold heart and I hope for your sake that you're not ever vocal about such ideas around women, especially not me. Why are you so full of hate?

What is wrong with feminism?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Oh noes, it's the feminists! Run!

I appreciate what you are saying, the sexual assault of male victims isn't looked after enough, although the Met through Operation Sapphire are actually targeting help at male victims of sexual assault and rape. It has only been illegal since 1994, which is a horrible indictment on society.

The thing that irritates me about this is that this always happens. We talk about DV against women, and people moan "what about the men!". Rape is a predominantly female problem, estimates from US studiesurl=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/293884.stm]source[/url show that about 10-15% of all rapes are against men. Of course its a significant problem, but 80% is a bigger problem.

hmm aside from DV which happens to 1 in 4 women and 1 in 6 men and is about equal (16.6% compared to 25%)

my own concern with this study is the assumption rape only happens to women, and is only done by weirdos in clubs and people in alleyways, and by the line of questioning which i cannot find anywhere it could be overstating the amount of people with bad attitudes
  • Options
    Why are you so full of hate?

'cos he's ugly and his mum dresses him funny
  • Options
    hmm aside from DV which happens to 1 in 4 women and 1 in 6 men and is about equal (16.6% compared to 25%)

my own concern with this study is the assumption rape only happens to women, and is only done by weirdos in clubs and people in alleyways, and by the line of questioning which i cannot find anywhere it could be overstating the amount of people with bad attitudes
    Amnesty International did the study probably as part of their campaign to end violence against women. Of course men get raped but it happens to women more often. There should be more to help men yes, but it's a different issue to women... basically what you're saying is similar to people who always shout 'racism goes both ways, what about the white guys?'

Rape is a weapon of war, it's something that goes on within family units, down back alleys, in people's bedrooms... Most places and the worrying thing is hat women are being blamed for it. What they're saying is that they behaved in a cetain way and are getting paid back.... It's also demeaning for men if you look at it as mplying you guys have no control over yourself.
  • Options

Which would be amazing if it wasn't utterly wrong.

81% of victims of domestic violence are women. Source.

You are spectacularly missing the point.

Read what JimV said again.

That is what the point is.

I hate the way this always happens. A charity commissions a report on how women rape victims are seen, and suddenly its some feminazi agenda which is discriminating against men.

Most rape victims are women. The report was dealing with attitudes to rape. What is your problem with this?

The same attitudes to women will apply to men who get raped- after all, only gay men get raped.
  • Options
    I still remain to think that just because a woman is flirtatious and dresses vulgarily, doesn't mean rape is justified.

I do agree though that they should be prepared with the risk of a potential rapist spotting you if they are dressed unappropriately and/or drunk.

The real question is to where to set the bar between 'serves you right' and 'not serves you right'. There are a lot of criminals out there that really deserve being convicted.
  • Options
    quarfly wrote:
    I do agree though that they should be prepared with the risk of a potential rapist spotting you if they are dressed unappropriately and/or drunk.

Define "dressed inappropriately".

This also makes the error of assuming that rape is sexual. It isn't, it's about power and its about control.

Any skirt makes a woman a target for a rapist, simply because its easier to rape that way. The most favoured time for rape is actually early evening, rather than later. No online source, but I read it in Glamour about two months ago.
    The real question is to where to set the bar between 'serves you right' and 'not serves you right'.

The bar between serving women right and not?

I hope you don't mean that.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The bar between serving women right and not?

I hope you don't mean that.

The bar whether the criminal is to be convicted or not.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I think it's quite obvious that certain behavior is going to increase the risk of rape . That may not be right but that's how it's is.
    This doesn't mean that women who behave like that are asking for it, deserve it or should even expect it. It means that they should be aware that their actions 'can' influence the risk to themsleves.

I was once mugged whilst walking through London on my own one night. Now there's a lot of people that would say I'm partly responsible for ignoring the obvious risks and I can see their point.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I was once mugged whilst walking through London on my own one night. Now there's a lot of people that would say I'm partly responsible for ignoring the obvious risks and I can see their point.

I think the point is that people who misunderstand what rape is all about would say that it's more like walking around London at night wearing £20 notes as clothes and expecting nothing to happen.

Rape is about power, not sex.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Which would be amazing if it wasn't utterly wrong.

81% of victims of domestic violence are women. Source.

i read an article that shows it's 1 in 6 for men and 1 in for 4 for women, was in the independent 3 or 4 weeks ago, and that it's decreasing vs women and iincreasing vs men (though it's partially attributed to more gay men living together)

and i read what jimV said before, i was just questioning the reports methods and its line of questioning etc not the attiudes, as i have constantly said the rapists are to blame and theres a lot of bigots who think if a woman sleeps around its her fault if she gets raped however some people don't pay enough attention to the risks of things, like accepting taxi rides off unlicensed cabbies, or accepting open drinks off people

and i know rape is about power not sex in most cases, thats why it's normally friends/family/collegues, the opportunist ones i'd presume get caught more often

and moonrat i have been the victim of racism before so i know how it feels, there' evil and/or stupid bigotted scum who aren't just white and male out there, i've read some extremely sexist comments from you before, which says it all
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Rape is only ever believed if it is violent and by a stranger. Partners who rape very rarely get convicted; even occasional sexual partners who rape rarely get convicted. It is a huge problem, as a woman is far less likely to get raped by a stranger than by a partner or parent.
    This is true, but what can be done when it is one person's word against another?
  • Options
    i've read some extremely sexist comments from you before, which says it all

Oh you are being such a fool.

Like it or not rape is primarily an act of violence carried out by men against women. So is domestic violence.

I am actually fed up of your bleatings that its "sexism" to point this out. All rape victims should be treated equally, but women are far more likely to be raped or attacked, so the focus is on them.

It isn't sexist to point out that nearly 90% of all incidents of DV are carried out by men.

It really does piss me off this attitude that its "sexist" to point out that women have a much shitter time of it than men.

MoonRat is a lot of things, but she isn't sexist. But then anyone who tries to claim that women are equal is labelled as sexist by fools.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It wasn't a case of pouncing on a typo.

Violette was saying that she disagreed that women deserved to be raped, but that if they did anything sexual then they were asking for it. That opinion was quite rightly challenged by Blagsta, and Violette was invited to justify the way she was arguing.

Why mention the girl who "lied" if the poster's agenda was to say that women deserve it? Why use such charming terms as "dick teasing" if the agenda is not that women deserve it? That is what Violette was saying, essentially, and it was rightly challenged.

If she wasn't saying it she should have corrected herself. To me it read like she was doing the old trick of "my mate reckons x, but I don't, not at all :no:" to avoid a challenge on those views.

I can understand what you're saying - i'm not debating that fact. But were you to walk up to a rather cliquey group and have such vile, obviously completely false facts immediately imposed on you after the first thing you said, would you really go back there again?

I just feel that if people on this forum wish to have more members from other forums come have a stab at the whole debating lark, they shouldn't be welcomed with such lovely greetings as "So you're saying that of women behave in a certain way then they should expect to be raped".
  • Options
    However, the poster in question did actually infer that.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    However, the poster in question did actually infer that.

You seem to have a slight talent in analysing posts and summing them up in as radical a rhetorical question as possible.