Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Should Euthanasia be legal?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Isn't euthanasia basically murder?

Yet again you seem to be missing the point. Not quite good at this game are you?
  • Options
    The simple answer to this question is...Yes!
    Thats what i think anyway!
    I would rather be put to death comfortably with a painless injection if i was dying of an incurable disease or was crippled or something!
    Thats just me though.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Yet again you seem to be missing the point. Not quite good at this game are you?

I was only asking... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I was only asking... :rolleyes:

Sorry, but no they are not the same.
  • Options
    Personally I think it should be legal, I don't think that somebody should be held responsible for taking anothers life if it was their wish to die in the first place..I mean, obviously only if they are chronically ill and are adamant that they want to die via euthanasia e.g. have previously stated it.

I think that some people would rather just die than live out their last few weeks/days/hours in pain or whatever.

I think people should have the choice for themselves. After all, it is their life.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    If they do, all they need to do is to cancel the contract don't they?
    You're a good one for simplifying reality aren't you. This is where there is room for abuse and where the true wishes of the elderly can be overlooked through lack of care for their wishes. For example, depression affects the elderly disproportionately and untreated would inevitably cloud the judgement of someone making decisions on ending their life.
    Because I have a right to die with dignity and not to be kept alive against my will. What do you think?
    Can we clarify what dying "with dignity" is?
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    Patients like my Mother would not have to suffer like she did. My mother was in pain even though she had drugs given to her. (they did eventually get her medication right and for the last couple of days she was peaceful but prior to that she was in pain and she was suffering).
    Surely 'getting her medication right' would have been better than giving up on her? Of course palliative care can and should be improved, but that doesn't mean euthanasia is the only solution to pain and suffering at the end of life. Did your mother express the wish to end her life at the end?
    Disagree strongly with this comment. Im basing my reply on what i saw when my Mother was in the late stages.
    They didnt sort her medication out properly till a couple of days before she died, but before this she was in no fit state to even know what day of the week it was let alone know where the drugs were. She was very weak and there is no way she would have been able to let us know what she wanted as she could hardly speak.
    QED?
  • Options
    It should be legal for those who are sound of mind. A right to die should be a human right. To punish for someone for assisting someone to end their suffering is stupid.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    You're a good one for simplifying reality aren't you. This is where there is room for abuse and where the true wishes of the elderly can be overlooked through lack of care for their wishes. For example, depression affects the elderly disproportionately and untreated would inevitably cloud the judgement of someone making decisions on ending their life.
    You're quite good yourself at trying to create problems and playing the devil advocate aren't you?

I'm not saying we shouldn't be careful. I'm not saying we should put safeguards in place. But there are many situations in which the intention of the patient would be crystal clear, yes or no?

If I were to sign a contract (supposing such thing was set up) in full possession of my faculties in which I made it clear that if I ever were to have an accident and be permanently paralysed or in a permanent vegetative state I should be euthanised, and a few months later I had that accident, can I have my euthansia please sir? Yes/no? Little room for abuse or confusion there, I hope you'll agree...
    Can we clarify what dying "with dignity" is?
    Dignity is on the eye of the beholder, so to speak. If a person believes slowly degenerating over a period of months towards an unavoidable death is not dignified, then it is not dignified- for them of course.

Look, I'm not saying we go euthanasing people at random. I'm saying in most cases should have the patient's consent. You must agree that in some cases at least there can be no doubt whatsoever that the patient wants to die. For instance the aformentioned case of the Spanish man paralysed from the neck down and bed ridden for life. So are you for helping them to die or not? And if not, why not?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    You're quite good yourself at trying to create problems and playing the devil advocate aren't you?
    Of course. What fun would this board be if we all agreed with each other all the time? ;)
    I'm not saying we shouldn't be careful. I'm not saying we should put safeguards in place. But there are many situations in which the intention of the patient would be crystal clear, yes or no?
    Yes.
    If I were to sign a contract (supposing such thing was set up) in full possession of my faculties in which I made it clear that if I ever were to have an accident and be permanently paralysed or in a permanent vegetative state I should be euthanised, and a few months later I had that accident, can I have my euthansia please sir? Yes/no? Little room for abuse or confusion there, I hope you'll agree...
    Yes, that's the idea.
    But my objection is that your perspective on ill health and disability will inevitably change when you are put in that situation. Christopher Reeve never saught euthanasia - he argued for the development of better treatments for spinal injuries. If we euthanise those with suffering, we lose the incentive to alleviate it.
    Dignity is on the eye of the beholder, so to speak. If a person believes slowly degenerating over a period of months towards an unavoidable death is not dignified, then it is not dignified- for them of course.
    If dignity is no subjective, can we avoid linking dignity in death exclusively with euthanasia then?
    Look, I'm not saying we go euthanasing people at random. I'm saying in most cases should have the patient's consent. You must agree that in some cases at least there can be no doubt whatsoever that the patient wants to die. For instance the aformentioned case of the Spanish man paralysed from the neck down and bed ridden for life. So are you for helping them to die or not? And if not, why not?
    Most cases? This is the slippery slope.

I'm not for the taking of life, absolutely not. Because I don't want that responsibility. I support the improvements of medical treatments at the end of life, such that dignity in death is not reliant on the premature active ending of life by a third party.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I say yes. It should be legal.
  • Options
    The difference is between deliberately killing someone and allowing them to die by witholding treatment and letting "nature takes it's course". Neither are emotionally easy to deal with.

Consider the "switch off life support" issue. Many relatives believe that their decision to switch off has actually killed their loved one... the guilt associated with that is enormous...

Of course it would be a really difficult thing to ask a doctor to do, and I really wouldnt want doctors to be forced to do it.

I just think in very select cases there are ways we could ease people out rather than just 'let nature run its course', death is horrid, I'm just suggesting for those who expressly wanted it we could make it a little less horrid.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Of course it would be a really difficult thing to ask a doctor to do, and I really wouldnt want doctors to be forced to do it.

I just think in very select cases there are ways we could ease people out rather than just 'let nature run its course', death is horrid, I'm just suggesting for those who expressly wanted it we could make it a little less horrid.

If not a trained medic then who? A relative who stands to gain from any will?
  • Options
    If not a trained medic then who? A relative who stands to gain from any will?

A trained medic of course, I just wouldnt force doctors to do it if they didnt want to. This of course could present difficulties of its own.
  • Options
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    She was very weak and there is no way she would have been able to let us know what she wanted as she could hardly speak.

Which really make this option null for her, in those circumstances then.

I feel for the relatives in these cases, I really do. I feel for the patients who I see every day with their grey pallour which marks them out, I really do. But I also fear for a society which considers that killing someone is an option. I worry that this is more about the relatives pain, than the patient's.

Kentish makes some excellent point about the implications of such a policy. It's easy to see the high level "it will prevent suffering" argument and I don't think anyone could really argue with that case. But the devil is in the detail and the implications, and it's those which mean that this policy whould never be implmented.
  • Options
    If someone is going to die, and they are crawling around in screaming agony, then why shouldn't they be allowed to die peacefully if they have requested it? I don't think relatives should have the option, I think it is something the patient would have to agree whilst still in a position to do so.

I fully appreciate the problems with such a policy, but the arguments about wills and exploitation seem a tad bizarre to me. If someone is at death's door anyway, then the people will still get the will money; all that is different is the lack of pain.

I can appreciate why people recpoil at the idea of it, but as Skive said, putting down a dog that's screaming in agony is seen as compassionate and humane- why is it any different for humans?
  • Options
    If it was one of mine in pain with no end in sight but long painful death I wouldn't hesitate if they asked me, law or no.

Asking a stranger to do something like that....welll......I can see why the medicals who post here feel iffy about it. And the problem that we have is that vague policy rules our organisations, and it's a blunt club when really a scapel is needed in cases like this.
  • Options
    With very strict controls I would say yes, legalise euthanasia.

Only a patient who is compus mentus, or had it written in a living will, assessed by two independent consultant clinicians at a specified interval [i.e. one week on a different day and at a different time to ensure that the first consultation was valid and no factors on that day had influenced the decision] willing to do it in consultation with the family and the multi-disciplinary team, however, only the patient can make that decision, no one else.

^ My personal opinion.
  • Options
    Which really make this option null for her, in those circumstances then.

No, two weeks before she passed away she was in the garden having some fresh air and at that time she was poorly but not to the extent as she was prior to her death. If there was a system that allowed patients to sign a statement asking for doctors to let her slip away in her sleep then I really feel that she would have asked for that.
    Of course when someone is not thinking straight for themselves then I fully agree its a no go area but when people are fully aware whats going on around them then let them choose after all it is their life.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

Surely 'getting her medication right' would have been better than giving up on her? Of course palliative care can and should be improved, but that doesn't mean euthanasia is the only solution to pain and suffering at the end of life. Did your mother express the wish to end her life at the end?

QED?

You are telling me that people have access to to diamorphine so if they wanted to end their life they are in the position to do so but they choose not to. Im telling you that in the late stages of lung cancer some patients would not know what day of the week it was let alone know that they had diamorphine in their home (im basing my view on what I witnessed with my mother).
    Also I dont see it as giving up on her, I see it as helping her go to sleep peacefully and with dignity. Im not gonna get into what she was like before she died but all I will say is that it was not a very nice experience and im talking from what I actually saw first hand, not a story that someone has told me.
    at the end no she didnt request to end her life but talking to her well before the illness was diagnosed she had said that she would not like to die with pain and suffering blah blah.
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    With very strict controls I would say yes, legalise euthanasia.

Only a patient who is compus mentus, or had it written in a living will, assessed by two independent consultant clinicians at a specified interval [i.e. one week on a different day and at a different time to ensure that the first consultation was valid and no factors on that day had influenced the decision] willing to do it in consultation with the family and the multi-disciplinary team, however, only the patient can make that decision, no one else.

i would agree.

i don't think it's something that should be considered willy nilly, but if someone is definitely 100% going to die, and it's just a matter of when, they should, if lucid enough, be given the option to either be assisted in their own death, or essentially put to sleep.

i've been in the not fantastic position of watching two close relatives die, and when someone is terminally ill and has been for a while, you have already lost them. at that point euthanisia is not killing them, it's helping them, and i only hope that if i'm ever in that position the law will allow me to make my own decisions about how i die rather than forcing me to suffer until my body gives up.
  • Options
    I think it's rather clear that euthanasia should be legalised - to a certain extent. When a person finds an argument that declares dying in agony without the victim's clarification (why would someone want to live in pain anyway), then tell me.
  • Options
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    at the end no she didnt request to end her life but talking to her well before the illness was diagnosed she had said that she would not like to die with pain and suffering blah blah.
    So if we could sort of the 'pain and suffering', there'd be no need for euthanasia?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    So if we could sort of the 'pain and suffering', there'd be no need for euthanasia?

No, because as ive already stated they did eventually get my mam sorted, but getting the medication right aint as simple as that which you are most probably aware of. It takes time to get the right dosage so whilst they are trying to sort out the medication the patient is suffering.
    They know roughly how long to expect the patient to survive (my Father was told she only had a couple of weeks), so if they know that the patient only has 7/14 days then why not just help them sleep peacefully rather than wait for x amount of days till they can sort the medication ?
  • Options
    No, I'm say if we can put our energy into developing better palliative care rather than developing euthanasia, would you be satisfied?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    No, I'm say if we can put our energy into developing better palliative care rather than developing euthanasia, would you be satisfied?

But someone with say Huntingdons or Motor Neurone... all the palliative care in the world won't help them and surely they have the right to die when they want.
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    surely they have the right to die when they want.

They do. It's called suicide.
  • Options
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    No, two weeks before she passed away she was in the garden having some fresh air and at that time she was poorly but not to the extent as she was prior to her death. If there was a system that allowed patients to sign a statement asking for doctors to let her slip away in her sleep then I really feel that she would have asked for that.

Okay, this is difficult because I am talking about your Mum, but I am trying to be objective.

Why wait until she is in such pain inthe first place, why couldn't she have chosen to take her own life then? She was capable by the sounds of it... so why pass the responsibility onto someone else?
  • Options
    Why wait until she is in such pain inthe first place, why couldn't she have chosen to take her own life then? She was capable by the sounds of it... so why pass the responsibility onto someone else?

It is much harder to kill yourself easily with things in the home, I'm sure no one would want their gran to take an OD on paracetamol.

And of course then you are guessing when is the cut off point, and potentially loosing valuable time with your relatives.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    It is much harder to kill yourself easily with things in the home, I'm sure no one would want their gran to take an OD on paracetamol.

Of course they wouldn't, especially if there was a nice warm NHS bed and doctor to do it for them.

The hardest part about taking your own life is actually going through with it, it is incredibly easy to find ways to kill yourself. And that really is my point about "responsibility", because it's so hard to actually do it yourself getting someone else to take on responsibility is an easy option.

Look at most of the situations which have been discussed here, they are degenerative illnesses where the patients has been lucid and mobile for some time. But it's only at the point where their facilties fail that euthanaisa is considered. Why? Why leave it so late? Why not take control of the situation when you can do it yourself?

Is it because life is precious so we should grab every moment? Is it because taking any life is not something which is easy [emotionally] to do?

If not wanting to suffer, or not wanting your relatives to see you suffer is the motive for euthanasia then why wait? Why not do it on diagnosis, or at the point when further treatment is not an option?

As Kentish said, making people comfortable is what we should be trying to do, not finding ways to kill them quicker, not finding some poor sap to take on the responsibility for doing this for us...
  • Options
    Look at most of the situations which have been discussed here, they are degenerative illnesses where the patients has been lucid and mobile for some time. But it's only at the point where their facilties fail that euthanaisa is considered. Why? Why leave it so late?

Of course it is only when they are in screaming pain that they want to end it.

Why would they want to be eased out before?
    is it because taking any life is not something which is easy [emotionally] to do? Also an element IMHO.

I don't expect it's an easy thing to do, and I sure as heck wouldn't force any doctor to do it, just as I wouldn't force any doctor to perform abortion.
    As Kentish said, making people comfortable is what we should be trying to do, not finding ways to kill them quicker, not finding some poor sap to take on the responsibility for doing this for us...

Sometimes killing them to stop their suffering is the most comforting thing that can be done for that person. It is largely agreed that it is humane to put pets to sleep rather than watch them suffer, why does the same not apply to human life? Is human life somehow different?

I would want to be eased out of life rather then being left to scream in pain in a bed for weeks. I don't see why it is such a moralistic problem, especially as most people who are against euthanasia on people would quite happily euthanase a cherished pet.

Sometimes the best palliative care is death.