Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Scary Mitchells.....

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Spliffie, when you are posting on a thread where both peeps and I are in agreement against your POV, you really should reconsider if you POV is the right one ;)

So the majority is always right?
    :p

lol.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote:
    Have you heard of the terms 'conflict of interest', 'double standards' and 'hypocrisy' Kentish?
    I don't see how any of those are relevant. The Sun's views are not necessarily the same as rebekah Wade's views. And I maintain that she is probably still anti-domestic violence, whatever happened last night.
    She should have gone long time ago anyway for being a racist, fascist, law breaking shit-stirring cunt, but that's another issue.
    Indeed it is, and let's not let our general disgust at The Sun's output interfere here.
  • Options
    Now, if the person who define the relevant NHS policy is a smoker, then I think you have a point...
    Is it not possible to know what is best for you, and choose another option? Most smokers actively choose to smoke despite knowing full well that it is having a detrimental effect on their health.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Man of Kent, I remember having a prolonged debate with you over cannabis legalisation when i first joined this site, and that made me realise your judgement sucked balls. No offence :p

We did? Damn I don't remember it, it's a subject I don't often get involved in because I am happy to admit that I don't ohave enough understanding to offer an opinion I can back up in great detail...
    If you can't draw the distinction between a wife/girlfriend slapping her husband/boyfriend during a heated argument and a man/woman beating their partner up then that's truly astonishing.

Violence is violence, the only difference there is amount the damage caused.

Would she have to put him in hospital before you would be concerned? When is the right time to say "this is not acceptable"? Surely it is when harm is caused.

Now the relationship between the individuals remains their business. However, when you have a high profile campaign being waged by one part against the horrors of domestic violence, don't you think it unacceptable that the same person then commits that very act?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Is it not possible to know what is best for you, and choose another option? Most smokers actively choose to smoke despite knowing full well that it is having a detrimental effect on their health.

1. It's not illegal. Yet.

2. If I personally waged a campaign against smoking as part of my job, but smoked myself, then my position would be untenable. If I cannot take my own advice then I can hardly complain that others commit the same act. I certainly could not maintain the moral high ground.

3. If I was also responsible for campaigning against other high profile people about hypocritical action then again, forcing them to resign, my being a hypocrite would make my position untenable.

Regardless of whether she resigns, I don't expect to see her at The Sun for much longer. I have a feeling that Murdoch will replace her himself soon after the embarassment she has cause his organisation.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    I don't think this should force her to resign either. It's hardly what i'd term 'domestic abuse' - it's not as if Kemp was beaten to a bloody pulp. So he argued with his wife and she hit him - big deal. I'm sure he's a big enough boy to handle it.

Probably his own sneaky way of getting back at her imo.

I wonder how many men have been afraid to come out and talk about domestic abuse because they should be "big enough to handle it." As for her hitting him, how is it any different to him hitting her in a heated argument? I don't mean punching her or anything, just giving her a 'little slap'. After all, if he doesn't do any serious damage, that makes it alright right? :banghead:
  • Options
    1. It's not illegal. Yet.
    We don't know if she's broken a law.
    2. If I personally waged a campaign against smoking as part of my job, but smoked myself, then my position would be untenable. If I cannot take my own advice then I can hardly complain that others commit the same act. I certainly could not maintain the moral high ground.
    If you as Health Secretary - with ultimate responsibility for the NHS - were a determined smoker then you would be in the same position as Rebekah Wade. If you as an NHS manager were promoted to Chief Exec of a PCT running a smoking cessation service would your position be untenable? Was John Reid not a smoker or recent ex-smoker? Apart from the legality of course, but on the hypocrisy issue...
    3. If I was also responsible for campaigning against other high profile people about hypocritical action then again, forcing them to resign, my being a hypocrite would make my position untenable.
    Like I say I don't know what the campaigns have been about but those campaigns are about selling papers, not making any difference.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    We don't know if she's broken a law.

He has a fat lip. She admits hitting him. I'd say that was pretty open and shut ;)
    If you as Health Secretary - with ultimate responsibility for the NHS - were a determined smoker then you would be in the same position as Rebekah Wade.

Exactly, as there are very few NHS staff in such a lofty position the somparison doesn't work.
    If you as an NHS manager were promoted to Chief Exec of a PCT running a smoking cessation service would your position be untenable?

No because it's not my policy, just one I am instructed to enforce.
    Was John Reid not a smoker or recent ex-smoker? Apart from the legality of course, but on the hypocrisy issue...

Cigars I think, which makes his opposition interesting...
  • Options
    To be honest I don't care if she stays or goes. It won't change the editorial views and style of The Sun. But I do object to this new fangled idea that making a mistake = end of career.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Man of Kent, I remember having a prolonged debate with you over cannabis legalisation when i first joined this site, and that made me realise your judgement sucked balls.

I'm sad enough to actually have looked up the number of time my name and the word 'cannabis' have appeared in the same thread - given my comments about how little I comment on drug use. It's about ten times. Ever.

Did you mean this thread.

I made three comments (in a 31 page thread) and that was only to remark that I felt cannabis has side effects. Considering the rest of that thread, I think you have the wrong Kent based person in mind.

Perhaps your prolonged use has affected your memory?

No offence :p
  • Options
    Amazing. Today's front page story is about Steve McFadden being hit by his lover... 'And Ender bruv had a bit of bovver as well'.

Good to know that The Sun can simper with the best of them, when a story comes along that's embarrassing to it's editor, and knocks Phil Mitchell's personal affairs into a cocked hat. The killer journalistic instincts go out the window. Will this herald a change of stance for the paper, with other celebrities being entitled to the benefit of the doubt, rather than lurid headlines about marriages under threat? Somehow, I don't think so...
  • Options
    Uncle Joe wrote:
    Amazing. Today's front page story is about Steve McFadden being hit by his lover... 'And Ender bruv had a bit of bovver as well'.

Good to know that The Sun can simper with the best of them, when a story comes along that's embarrassing to it's editor, and knocks Phil Mitchell's personal affairs into a cocked hat. The killer journalistic instincts go out the window. Will this herald a change of stance for the paper, with other celebrities being entitled to the benefit of the doubt, rather than lurid headlines about marriages under threat? Somehow, I don't think so...

was grant aka ross kemp actually
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    So the majority is always right?
    :p

lol.

Democracy in action P&D style!
  • Options
    Possibly the most amazing thing about this story is that earlier that night Wade and Kemp had been having dinner with Rupert Murdoch and.........

David Blunkett!!!!

Can this man not stay out of the papers for even one day!
  • Options
    I'm sad enough to actually have looked up the number of time my name and the word 'cannabis' have appeared in the same thread - given my comments about how little I comment on drug use. It's about ten times. Ever.

Did you mean this thread.

I made three comments (in a 31 page thread) and that was only to remark that I felt cannabis has side effects. Considering the rest of that thread, I think you have the wrong Kent based person in mind.

Perhaps your prolonged use has affected your memory?

No offence :p

My memory is either super-good or extremely muddled. In this case, it would appear to be the latter :D
  • Options
    From the S*n online

"Ross, 41 — also the star of ITV’s hit series Ultimate Force about the SAS — did not sustain any injuries.

A cut to his lip which was reported by news agencies had in fact been sustained during filming. "

Indeed............ :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Toadborg wrote:
    ...series Ultimate Force ...

You spelt farce wrong.
  • Options
    was grant aka ross kemp actually

Erm.. was both actually.

Different times, different places...
  • Options
    I wonder how many men have been afraid to come out and talk about domestic abuse because they should be "big enough to handle it." As for her hitting him, how is it any different to him hitting her in a heated argument? I don't mean punching her or anything, just giving her a 'little slap'. After all, if he doesn't do any serious damage, that makes it alright right? :banghead:

So you think a woman should lose her job as editor of paper - political greviences aside - which takes a stand against domestic abuse because she slapped her husband?

Is that really what you believe?
  • Options
    I believe it.

For the same reason that I believe a member of the government who cheats on his wife shouldn't necessarily have to lose his job- but a member of the government who preaches about 'back to basics', morals and against adultery and then is caught playing away should most definitely lose his job. Just as it happened to a few Tories during their Back to Basics campaign in the early 90s.

So it is only to be expected the woman who has been tirelessly campaigning against domestic abuse and demanding action against brutes and beats who beat their spouses should do the decent thing after she's done the very thing she's campaigning against.
  • Options
    I've seen people charged, prosecuted and convicted- without the consent of the victim- for less than what Wade did to her husband. She hit him, therefore it is assault; he is her spouse, therefore it is domestic violence. The law is remarkably clear cut on this, and the CPS are normally very keen to press charges ASAP.

She should have been charged and tried, but- as always- it's one rule for one and one rule for another. I don't think she got away with it because she is a woman, more that she is powerful and could probably embarass quite a few people. It's strange how the CPS and police are really quick to throw the book at people- unless they are rich and can fight back, of course.

No, for the record, I don't think she is a human being.
  • Options
    The law itself hasn't changed much, but there is systemic pressure on the police and CPS to push for prosecutions in all instances of domestic violence. You cannot withdraw a statement once it has been made- you can't say it didn't happen, because you swore that it did happen, and you can't say you got it wrong without opening yourself up to a charge of perverting the course of justice.

It used to be that if the complainant wasn't prepared to come to court then the matter was dropped, but it does not always happen like that now. Complainants can be and are summonsed to court by the CPS; the CPS don't need a complainant's permission to proceed with a case. If the defendant admits to hitting the complainant in police interview then he can be charged and convicted with or without the complainant.

I don't think this does any good at all, but that's the state of play. A lot of this won't be in your textbooks, because it is more about procedure rules than the actual statute.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    What is she? :confused:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    What is she? :confused:

Irish? :confused:
  • Options
    Kentish: other. I expect it's an alien, to be quite honest, nothing that sinister, evil and ugly can possibly be human.

GI: you won't study this at university, so don't worry about it. University deals with what the law is, by looking at the statute and the caselaw, and changes in procedure is nothing to do with the statute or caselaw. The CPS push for more convictions because of Governmental policy change- not anything to do with the law itself.

The criminal law is fascinating, but the law itself is dull. If I have to do any more s100/s101 applications I'll cry.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Kentish: other. I expect it's an alien, to be quite honest, nothing that sinister, evil and ugly can possibly be human
    She's vile, but she's human. She has no honour, but she's human.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    She's vile, but she's human. She has no honour, but she's human.
    I'm skeptical.

I think it's worse if it is.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I've seen people charged, prosecuted and convicted- without the consent of the victim- for less than what Wade did to her husband. She hit him, therefore it is assault; he is her spouse, therefore it is domestic violence. The law is remarkably clear cut on this, and the CPS are normally very keen to press charges ASAP.

She should have been charged and tried, but- as always- it's one rule for one and one rule for another. I don't think she got away with it because she is a woman, more that she is powerful and could probably embarass quite a few people. It's strange how the CPS and police are really quick to throw the book at people- unless they are rich and can fight back, of course.

Surely whether she's charged or should be Kemp's prerogative - prosecuting someone for a slap when the 'victim' has no interest in following the incident up with charges is highly disturbing...
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    So you think a woman should lose her job as editor of paper - political greviences aside - which takes a stand against domestic abuse because she slapped her husband?

Is that really what you believe?

If she's proved to have done it, why not? Just ask yourself, if the roles were reversed and a male editor of The Sun had been found to have slapped his wife in the heat of an argument, would you expect him to resign? I can't answer that for you, but I reckon you would. One rule for one......
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Surely whether she's charged or should be Kemp's prerogative - prosecuting someone for a slap when the 'victim' has no interest in following the incident up with charges is highly disturbing...

The law was changed because when it was up to the victim to prosecute, there were many instances when the victim was assaulted again and again until they agreed to withdraw charges.

It appears that Ross Kemp is now claiming that he got his thick lip elsewhere.