Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sad or infuriating?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Both. It's a fucking terrible state of society where this is necessary. And who says the West is the best place to live, where we have this kindof thing on our hands? It's time for change people... something HAS to be done... WHY does everyone sit back and do nothing? What is wrong with people?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    What is wrong with people?

Nothing, bless them, it's capitalism, the state, the war on terror (excuses ad nauseum). Please don't blame people for their own actions...

:rolleyes: ;)
  • Options
    Nothing, bless them, it's capitalism, the state, the war on terror (excuses ad nauseum). Please don't blame people for their own actions...

:rolleyes: ;)

Accepting someone's upbringing and environment as the main factors in how they turn out as a person is crucial to understanding problems like this.

if you can't accept that...you just continue pushing solutions which largely add to the problem.
  • Options
    I accept that someone's upbringing can affect their life and their values.

Does that mean we should excuse them of anything they do in the future?
  • Options
    a good idea.
  • Options

understand != excuse
  • Options
    Like I said Blagsta, understanding is one thing.

Using it to mitigate attacking an ambulance is another.
  • Options
    in manchester they have had stabvests and even lockable ambulances for a long time ...lockable as in the passenger is locked away seperately from the crew.
  • Options
    in manchester they have had stabvests and even lockable ambulances for a long time ...lockable as in the passenger is locked away seperately from the crew.

wouldn't it be better to simply restrain the passenger so that the crew could give them the necessary medical attention while on the way to the hospital?
  • Options
    Isn't that assault?
  • Options

No. But we're all products of our environments. You have a bad environment and it'll fuck you up in various ways. Rather than lambasting these people, it'd surely be more productive to look at the root cause - environment. People can rant all they want about "responsibility" and all the rest of it, but you're denying the reality of the human condition.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

Not really. Alot of people from bad backgrounds have gone on to be respectable members of society... unless of course you are brainwashed into being a Nazi or something by your parents.

Alot of people from good background of gone on to be useless scummers too...
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    you're denying the reality of the human condition.
    and that condition seems to be getting worse ...or never improving?
  • Options
    Isn't that assault?

might be, but then again putting someone into the back of a vehicle and driving them somewhere without their permission sounds a lot like kidnapping to me... I am fuzzy on the legal details of the whole thing. Regardless of the legal issues, what I meant was more in terms of practicality.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    you're denying the reality of the human condition.

No, I'm not denying it. I just believe that I, my colleagues and my family should be protected. Part of that is deterrence, part is imprisonment, part is trying to prevent people from being "affected" to the extent that they believe this kind of action is every acceptable.

Question is how you achieve that last part, without also invoking the previous two. If you invoke the previous two then you accpt that people are personally responsible for their own actions, regardless of their background.

Whilst I would love to see a utopia where everyone got on, I think we all know that is never going to be.
  • Options
    might be, but then again putting someone into the back of a vehicle and driving them somewhere without their permission sounds a lot like kidnapping to me... I am fuzzy on the legal details of the whole thing. Regardless of the legal issues, what I meant was more in terms of practicality.

If they don't want to get in, and are able to vocalise this, then the ambulance service cannot take them - is my understanding.

Ditto, if the person can vocalise that they do not want treatment, then it is assault if you treat them...
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Not really. Alot of people from bad backgrounds have gone on to be respectable members of society... unless of course you are brainwashed into being a Nazi or something by your parents.

Alot of people from good background of gone on to be useless scummers too...

So you're saying that your environment doesn't count? You obviously don't properly understand yourself yet, because if you did, you'd realise environment provides the foundation for your character...and this obviously applies to everyone else.

Look at all the absolute fuck-ups you know - there's always a cause stretching way back to childhood.
  • Options
    If they don't want to get in, and are able to vocalise this, then the ambulance service cannot take them - is my understanding.

Ditto, if the person can vocalise that they do not want treatment, then it is assault if you treat them...

which is what leads me to ask; why do they need to lock ambulance doors to protect themselves from people who want treatment?
  • Options
    No, I'm not denying it. I just believe that I, my colleagues and my family should be protected. Part of that is deterrence, part is imprisonment, part is trying to prevent people from being "affected" to the extent that they believe this kind of action is every acceptable.

Who said it was acceptable? Attacking paramedics obviously isn't acceptable - but that doesn't mean to say you can't look at social environment and recognise it as the root problem. Blaming people as "bad" individuals and calling for tougher action is short-sighted and fails utterly to address the problem.
  • Options
    I wasn't aware that they did that, I'm not sure that they do, inspite of Mr Roll's comments, because they are liable for the patient and will need to be able to offer treatment if required on route.

I could be wrong.

It's also worth remembering that people change their minds...
  • Options
    which is what leads me to ask; why do they need to lock ambulance doors to protect themselves from people who want treatment?
    because some off the piss heads they pick up to treat for wounds etc ...go off their trollys half way through the journey to hospital and start lashing out and smashing up.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Attacking paramedics obviously isn't acceptable

So how do you reinforce that message?
    Blaming people as "bad" individuals and calling for tougher action is short-sighted and fails utterly to address the problem.

I didn't call for tougher action.
  • Options
    So how do you reinforce that message?

I didn't call for tougher action.

You can't re-inforce it - any attempt would just fall on deaf ears. changing society and people's environment is the solution, and that's the solution to more than this problem. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening.
  • Options
    because some off the piss heads they pick up to treat for wounds etc ...go off their trollys half way through the journey to hospital and start lashing out and smashing up.

which brings me back to my origional question of; why not just strap them down instead of locking the door? Even if they do change their minds, at least they can have treatment up untill that point
  • Options
    Because we have lawyers over here too...
  • Options
    Because we have lawyers over here too...
    "the first thing we do; lets kill all the lawyers"
  • Options
    "the first thing we do; lets kill all the lawyers"
    there goes our government!
  • Options
    actualy I think that was the idea behind the quote.

it's from Shakspears, Henry VI
  • Options
    actualy I think that was the idea behind the quote.

it's from Shakspears, Henry VI
    same as it ever was ...ruled the world over by ...killers thieves and lawyers.
  • Options
    Restraining a patient in an ambulance would be assault and an ambulance crew are far less likely to do that than to stop the ambulance and request the police to attend the scene.

I've been out on the ambulances before and haven't witnessed any hostility, but if there was any threat I would rather the crew had a stab vest and abandoned a violent patient on the street than put themselves at any risk.

Alcohol and social inequality are not valid reasons for violence against medics.