Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

It's not often that I say 'well done' to The S*n...

... but its campaign to end animal cruelty and to punish animal abusers as they deserve is spot on and counts with my full support.

Today it tells the story of a cunt who who gave his own dog 20 cigarette burns and 7 broken ribs. The animal had to be put down. The man's punishment? Three weeks inside.

The other day it told about a woman who took such offence at her cat giving her a scratch that she threw her in the washing machine, ran a 90- degree programme and watched the cat as it tumbled, drowned and boiled to death. What did she get? Two weeks.

Twisted fucks like these deserve to rot in jail for much much longer than that. :mad:

So, credit where it's due: for once the Soraway S*n counts with my full support about something. Well done to them.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hmmmm

I am not sure Britain's crowded jails need lots of people done for animal cruelty crowding them up.

Personally I would rather see some innovative punishments, mucking out some pig pens perhaps.

I don't quite see how longer prison sentences for these sorts of crimes make society any better.........
  • Options
    The sun are twisted fucks you mean,

I can guarantee you they don’t give a shit about animal welfare

It’s just a cheep publicity stunt trying to sell more newspapers trying to appear responsible and caring which they aren’t, next it will be an attack on loony animal rights extremists.

If ever there ever was a witch hunt the sun would be at the head screaming burn them their different.

What about their Bruno headline "Bonkers Bruno locked up" changed to
    "Sad Frank..." They only changed it because of the public outcry very stupid.

They would have that headline then next day screaming at someone for being offensive to mentally ill people, with some story about how some mother lost her son because his mental illness wasn’t diagnosed loss of a promising life what’s our society like judging people etc. Then next week they’d have look up the loonies and a story about how a woman was assaulted by someone with mental illness and they should all be locked up. That’s the type of blatant shallow hypocrisy the cunts are famous for.
  • Options
    The sun are twisted fucks you mean,

I can guarantee you they don’t give a shit about animal welfare

It’s just a cheep publicity stunt trying to sell more newspapers trying to appear responsible and caring which they aren’t

:thumb:
  • Options
    It may or may not be a "cheap publicity stunt", but at least somebody is saying something, and I actually agree 100% with Aladdin's post.

Animal cruelty should be stopped, and people should be imprisoned for a very very long time for it. But when killer bullies get pathetic sentences too, I don't see it happening.

Not when we can lock up all the drug users instead.
  • Options
    But you think people should be imprisoned for a very very long time for most things it seems..........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    But you think people should be imprisoned for a very very long time for most things it seems..........

Cruelty to animals or people needs to be punished with severe penalties. Do you disagree with that, or something?
  • Options
    Yes (not humans of course)

I disagree with the idea that cruelty to animals warrants goinf to prison for 'a very long time'.

In fact I think it is absurd.........
  • Options
    I'll go and kick your cat down some stairs and then set fire to it then, if its all the same to you then. It's obviously not important.
  • Options
    You can be very immature can't you?

I didn't say I condoned animal cruelty, I just sadi that putting people in prison for long sentences is not the appropriate response IMO
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    I didn't say I condoned animal cruelty, I just sadi that putting people in prison for long sentences is not the appropriate response IMO

What is the appropriate response?

A slap on the wrist and a "banning order"? A CPO? An ASBO? A job at IAMS?
  • Options
    I didn't rule out a short prison sentence.

Communtiy service, banning of owning or being responsible for animals etc.

I am no expert on sentencing, I am sure you would know more about the range of options available.

It is a matter of opinion really, I just can't see why long prison sentences would be helpful in anyway however, obviously you can. I wonder is this desire motivated by desire for retribution or do you have a practical purpose in mind?
  • Options
    There are a lot of options, I just think that a non-custodial sentence is not appropriate, and a short one wouldn't be either.

The sentences can be quite long, but they never are for a first offence, which fails to deal with the problem of animal cruelty. Of course good character should be taken into account, but if you let people continually get away with it it doesn't stop the problem.

IMHO banning orders are almost always meaningless.
  • Options
    I personally do not know any animal abusers but is it unrealistic to think that the average animal abuser is unlikely to reoffend after a short jail term, or any kind of serious punishment in fact?

Would it not be quite easy to ensure that these people were not allowed to 'care' for animals in the future?

The examples above were of people abusing their own animals, as it would be in the majority of cases. I can't imagine many would be deliberately hunting down other animals to be cruel to would they?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    I personally do not know any animal abusers but is it unrealistic to think that the average animal abuser is unlikely to reoffend after a short jail term, or any kind of serious punishment in fact?

Some do, and some don't.

Those who do it for kicks will often offend again.
    Would it not be quite easy to ensure that these people were not allowed to 'care' for animals in the future?

Yeah, it's easy in practise.

In reality its a lot harder.
    The examples above were of people abusing their own animals, as it would be in the majority of cases. I can't imagine many would be deliberately hunting down other animals to be cruel to would they?

Some would and do.

It's also very easy to get round the tricky thing of ownership. If they now belong to someone else, then you're not breaching your banning order, even if they do still spend most of their time in your garden.
  • Options
    Well we could debate the practicalitied for a long time.

In the end I personally do not think long prison sentences are at all appropriate, and don't think animal cruelty is a crime anywhere near on a par with various kinds of cruelt to humans.

Other people feel differently, fair enough.......

Also I would be careful to aviod hypocrisy as a lot of the meat that I eat probably some form animals that were treated fairly cruelly, and frankly I don't care......

There is a danger of slipping into double standards when it comes to different animals, people get very worked up about cruelty to nice cute pets, less so with cruelty to farm animals, or in fact insects (wasn't it the S*n who were shouting POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD a couple of weeks back about the kid who got excluded for pulling legs off a daddy long legs?)
  • Options
    Well the hypocrisy is a problem, especially with The Sun. The boy should have been excluded for that, as people need to be taught what is acceptable behaviour.

Farmyard cruelty is a problem, especially in the abattoirs, but that is forgotten. And I've eaten veal before. But I try to only buy humane animals, but since F&M its been a lot harder, as everyone has to use the same abattoir.

I also condemn IAMS greatly.

Torturing animals isn't as severe as torturing people, but boiling as cat to death is worth more than a fortnight in prison IMHO.
  • Options
    Fair enough but I disagree.

Could you put some kind of poll in Aladdin?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    And I've eaten veal before.

Yeah me too. Bloody animal rights lot making me feel bad for something that tastes so good. Reminds me of the South Park episode about veal.

Next they'll be having a go at fois gras...
  • Options
    Next they'll be having a go at fois gras...

:D

I won't eat foie gras because of what they do to the ducks. Force-feeding them several times their bodyweight in fat in seconds simply to destroy, sorry, "tenderise" the liver is wrong in every way.

Toadborg: what do you think should happen to people who deliberately and intentionally boil a living creature to death?
  • Options
    I'm not sure to be honest.

Your use of the term 'living creature' is interesting......

If I trapped a spider in a kettle and boiled it to death, should that carry the same punishment as the cat incident, if not why?
  • Options
    People boil lobsters to death every day.

Mmmmmmm, lobster.
  • Options
    Good point, surely consitency requires this practise be outlawed?

Problem is that Rupert Murdoch and Rebaecca Wade probably enjoy their lobster don't they?
  • Options
    Lobsters are different, for many physiological reasons I cba to explain.

OK, boil a mammal to death. Better?
  • Options
    If I was a line-drawing kind of person, then I'd draw the line at invertebrates.

So if you fancy boiled lobster (or spider), then that's fine.
    Naturally, I'm sure spiders, flys and lobsters also perceive pain somehow.
  • Options
    More different than a fly, id say a Lobster was more deserving,

Anyway I think for once weve all universaly agreed the Sun are hypocritical cunts
  • Options
    Perhaps I should have titled the thread differently... :rolleyes: I would have thought that any regular of this forum knows full well my general opinion of the Scum... even if this campaign is little more than a cynical marketing ploy, it certainly is to be welcomed.

But the main issue here isn't the S*n but animal cruelty. And yes, in my opinion anyone guilty of the crimes described in the first post should serve longer terms than a couple of weeks. I would have thought 6 months to a year at least would be a fairer sentence.

Psychiatric evaluation or regular check ups wouldn't be out of hand either... in my mind it takes a special kind of sick, twisted (and clearly dangerous) mind to inflict cruelty in children and animals.

And the lobster comparisons are completely irrelevant I'm afraid. We kill the lobster to eat it, not to inflict vengeance on it or torture it for kicks.
  • Options
    Surely the purpose is completely irrelevant?

You wouldn't apply that criteria for crimes against humans, so why animals?

Kermit, why mammals only? Other animals feel pain do they not?
  • Options
    How will prison help? As a deterrent? To stop the offender repeating the offence? Protecting the public?

I've got to agree with Toadborg.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Surely the purpose is completely irrelevant?
    No it's not. Like it or not we live in a society where certain things are permitted and certain are not; certain things are considered acceptable and certain others are not. Killing animals to eat (if it is done in a humane way, and I agree that sometimes is not, but that is beside the point) is not cruel. Killing them for fun in hideous ways or mistreating them is cruel, and against the law.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    How will prison help? As a deterrent? To stop the offender repeating the offence? Protecting the public?
    Certainly yes to the first two, and very often yes to the third one as well.

Would you be asking the same questions if it had been a baby instead of a cat put inside a washing machine?