Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Life without parole, for children

This is one of the more disturbing stories I have read in a while. Children in the US are getting life in prison without parole.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4333036.stm
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I didn't know that. It's barbaric beyond words.

Still, they should count themselves lucky they are not being electrocuted... Ungrateful bastards... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    The public support it.
  • Options
    The public tend to know jack shit.
  • Options
    That and 'felony murder' is nothing of the sort, its blaming friends of murderers for the murder as well.
  • Options
    Oh well, keeps the little shits off the streets I guess
  • Options
    I wouldn't be surprised really.

Many things about US 'justice' are deeply disturbing and disgraceful.......
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Many things about US 'justice' are deeply disturbing and disgraceful.......
    You haven't got to go as far as the US, British justice stinks!

http://www.kevinboone.com/miscarriages_of_justice.html

http://innocent.org.uk/cases/guildford4/
  • Options
    Probably worth noting that the system acknowledged its mistakes and then freed them. Bit harder to do if they're dangling at the end of a rope.
  • Options
    True Blue wrote:
    You haven't got to go as far as the US, British justice stinks!

http://www.kevinboone.com/miscarriages_of_justice.html

http://innocent.org.uk/cases/guildford4/

Well yes but I think there is an obvious difference between miscarriages of justice and systematic policy......
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Probably worth noting that the system acknowledged its mistakes and then freed them. Bit harder to do if they're dangling at the end of a rope.
    Acknowledging mistakes after 15 years locked up in prison for a crime you didn't commit is "one big mistake" - and its not just happened once or twice but there are many cases of false imprisonment - we've got a legal system in this country but many people don't get justice!
  • Options
    True Blue wrote:
    Acknowledging mistakes after 15 years locked up in prison for a crime you didn't commit is "one big mistake" - and its not just happened once or twice but there are many cases of false imprisonment - we've got a legal system in this country but many people don't get justice!

Do you believe that there are no innocent people in US jails? Please tell me you're not that deranged.

Is it perfect? no. Is it better than the US (and a fuck of a lot of other places come to that)? yes
  • Options
    Just to play devils advocate for a while:

Do people agree that "adults" should be capable of recieving a life setence with out possiblity of parole? If so, does that mean that at 17 it is a repugnant and odious idea and at 18 it's perfectly acceptable?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Just to play devils advocate for a while:

Do people agree that "adults" should be capable of recieving a life setence with out possiblity of parole? If so, does that mean that at 17 it is a repugnant and odious idea and at 18 it's perfectly acceptable?

A view I support. *ducks objects* If the Evidence shows the child did it deliberatley and thought it out, he is obviously a danger to people. What,s oa child can't fucknig be evil, just because its a child? Get out of here, I've seen what children do to animals with my owns eyes. Little bastards can be just as evil.

Obviously, there is a limit. Children under a certain age, i'd say 12ish, but I don't know when they are really responsible, leave that to experts. But once, in my view, you are a teenager or so, you are just as guilty as the next person. You are capable of freely thinking and acting of your own will. So its about time you faced the consequences of your actions.
  • Options
    A view I also share.

They do not suddenly become worldly-wise the second they hit 18 nor were they completely clueless prior to that. I suppose what you've got to decide is when is the (legal) minor a mental minor or not. Becuase I'm sure that a lot of say, 15/16/17 year olds are mature enough to commit the crimes with the full knowledge of the consequences.

So I guess it's where you draw the line.

Personally, I think life should mean life, in fact, fuck it, I say bring back hanging. Good family day out and you don't have to spend money on keeping scum in jail.
  • Options
    A view I also share.

They do not suddenly become worldly-wise the second they hit 18 nor were they completely clueless prior to that. I suppose what you've got to decide is when is the (legal) minor a mental minor or not. Becuase I'm sure that a lot of say, 15/16/17 year olds are mature enough to commit the crimes with the full knowledge of the consequences.

So I guess it's where you draw the line.

Personally, I think life should mean life, in fact, fuck it, I say bring back hanging. Good family day out and you don't have to spend money on keeping scum in jail.

the difference between a 17yr old and an 18yr old is that they are yet to recieve the full rights as a citizen thus they are unable to be fully accountable since they arent in terms of voting/drinking etc

thats the difference! and its a fucking disgrace about american prisons
  • Options
    what a disturbing thread.
  • Options
    Yep.
  • Options
    In my state you can be tried and sentenced as an adult at 16. Nice to know that at 16 I had enough cognitive sense to commit a crime that would warrant life in prison, while still not being aware enough to vote. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    In my state you can be tried and sentenced as an adult at 16. Nice to know that at 16 I had enough cognitive sense to commit a crime that would warrant life in prison, while still not being aware enough to vote. :rolleyes:

exactly you're not granted the same rights yet so you shouldn't be able to be gven the states full wrath so to speak
  • Options
    exactly you're not granted the same rights yet so you shouldn't be able to be gven the states full wrath so to speak
    If you don't have a damn say in the law, you can't be tried as an adult. Simple as that.
  • Options
    I'm torn on this one, perhaps far more than I should be.

Some people deserve to be locked up for life, never to be let free. Some of them are young adults, such as the animal that raped the teacher in London. He should never get parole, and he should die in prison. Once you are 13 or 14 you know what you are doing, and you should never be given a second chance if you pre-meditatedly rape or murder somebody in cold blood.

But at the same time there is something awfully disgusting about locking a young child up for life, and not even give them hope for the future. You might as well hang them then, it'd be more humane.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I'm torn on this one, perhaps far more than I should be.

Some people deserve to be locked up for life, never to be let free. Some of them are young adults, such as the animal that raped the teacher in London. He should never get parole, and he should die in prison. Once you are 13 or 14 you know what you are doing, and you should never be given a second chance if you pre-meditatedly rape or murder somebody in cold blood.

But at the same time there is something awfully disgusting about locking a young child up for life, and not even give them hope for the future. You might as well hang them then, it'd be more humane.

I tend to agree.

I think even at 10 years old someone knows if they're doing something wrong. The Bulger killers knew what they'd done wasn't right. If somebody clearly has mental issues they should be indefinitely put in some kind of mental institution that can support/help them and not released until it's 100% sure that they pose no danger to the public. If somebody doesn't have mental issues but is well just nasty and rapes or kills someone they should be jailed for life without parole. I'm being sorta simplistic I know.

Death penalty is a whole other big issue and a bit of a tough one. The problem is miscarriage's of justice although what's the difference between hanging someone's who innocent and them spending their entire life in a prison cell if they're innocent? For certain people I think I support it in some cases, for instance I see no decent reason in keeping Ian Huntley alive. And for those that claim to never support the death penalty I'm always inclined to hear what they'd have proposed doing with Hitler if he hadn't committed suicide...
  • Options
    the difference between a 17yr old and an 18yr old is that they are yet to recieve the full rights as a citizen thus they are unable to be fully accountable since they arent in terms of voting/drinking etc

thats the difference! and its a fucking disgrace about american prisons
    What? They can't vote so they can't be held accountable for crimes they commit?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Why should you abide by the rules of a society if that society does not give you a voice in it?
  • Options
    And for those that claim to never support the death penalty I'm always inclined to hear what they'd have proposed doing with Hitler if he hadn't committed suicide...

Same as we did for Hess. Its not a hard question. I don't support the death penalty - but that doesn't mean I don't think certain people shouldn't rot in prison.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Why should you abide by the rules of a society if that society does not give you a voice in it?
    That's an argument for allowing them a voice, not allowing them to ignore the rules.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Kentish wrote:

Very true.

And come off it, do you think a teenager honestly gives two shits about who runs the country at all? I'd like to vote at my age, but I am aware many people my age would just vote for someone like the BNP simply because they are "different" and "rebelious", without having ANY knowledge of the policies at all.

I must say though, I do think we have double standards. You can join the army and be sent to war at 16, but not be allowed to drive, or drink, or vote. what the hell?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    That's an argument for allowing them a voice, not allowing them to ignore the rules.

we're not saying dont punish them, just dont do it on the full wrath due to reasons stated before
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Very true.

And come off it, do you think a teenager honestly gives two shits about who runs the country at all? I'd like to vote at my age, but I am aware many people my age would just vote for someone like the BNP simply because they are "different" and "rebelious", without having ANY knowledge of the policies at all.

I must say though, I do think we have double standards. You can join the army and be sent to war at 16, but not be allowed to drive, or drink, or vote. what the hell?

its not a matter of what they think, do you you know theyre not interested in anything? theyre yet to be granted full rights as a citizen thus removing some of the states rights to punish you

the choice to vote or not is just as important as whom you vote for
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    And come off it, do you think a teenager honestly gives two shits about who runs the country at all?

A lot do.

And it is their right to a democratic protest vote if they so wish. It's not as if its just the young who use protest votes.

If you pay tax you should be given a right to vote. And as even the smallest child pays tax, they should be given the right to vote.

In a democratic society you give everyone a voice, or you don't bother.

Personally I think stupid people should be banned from voting, but that isn't really compatible with democracy.