Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Chimp: "God told me to invade Iraq"

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article317805.ece

So... is anyone else uneasy about the world's biggest nuclear power being run by a man who can now safely and without any doubt be described as mentally ill/retarded?

Would any of those who still claim Dubya is actually of some intelligence and that he's just being misinterpreted by the media and public care to comment about such statement?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Your average Muslim is a lot more religious then Dubya, that is a fact. Typical liberal hypocrisy to laugh when a Christian mentions God. You must think because white people are generally better educated and "enlightened" they would have to be stupid, "mentally ill/retarded chimps" to believe in God? Would you say that to a Muslim who believes in his God?
  • Options
    The christian thing isnt an issue, many people pray, I have no issue with that, in fact I have really no issue with Bush at all. He's a monkey, they dress him up and he sings the tune. Its the people around him who are the nasties.
  • Options
    Your average Muslim is a lot more religious then Dubya, that is a fact. Typical liberal hypocrisy to laugh when a Christian mentions God. You must think because white people are generally better educated and "enlightened" they would have to be stupid, "mentally ill/retarded chimps" to believe in God? Would you say that to a Muslim who believes in his God?
    Can you tell the difference between believing in God and claiming His Lordship directly talks to you and dictates your foreign policy? :rolleyes:
  • Options

I have a mental image of you frothing at the mouth while typing that.
  • Options

don't think that's the point
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Can you tell the difference between believing in God and claiming His Lordship directly talks to you and dictates your foreign policy? :rolleyes:

Many people pray to help them make choices in life, its not that wierd.

And anyway, you are giving him way too much credit, do you really think he came up with the Iraq plan himself?
  • Options
    which god told him to do it?

Allah? Literally "The God." There is no plural, masculine or feminine forms of this word in Arabic. This denotes the One True God, the Almighty Creator, Who is neither male nor female.

The most fundamental belief that a Muslim has is that "There is only One God," the Creator, the Sustainer -- known in the Arabic language and by Muslims as Allah. Allah is not a foreign god, nor an idol. Arabic-speaking Christians use the same word for the Almighty.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    So... is anyone else uneasy about the world's biggest nuclear power being run by a man who can now safely and without any doubt be described as mentally ill/retarded?

Would any of those who still claim Dubya is actually of some intelligence and that he's just being misinterpreted by the media and public care to comment about such statement?

Yes, do you know that it happened? Why do you automatically believe the report?
  • Options
    Seeing as Bush has himself many times indicated that God 'guides' him in his decisions, it is not too difficult to believe and I have no reason to think of it as untrue.
  • Options
    Most religious people look to their God(s) for guidance and advice. I dont have a problem with that.

It certainly doesnt make them mentally retarded, as your insulting and offensive comment said.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Seeing as Bush has himself many times indicated that God 'guides' him in his decisions, it is not too difficult to believe and I have no reason to think of it as untrue.

But as I said, thats not that uncommon or as wierd as you seem to think.

And of course you are assuming that he makes the choices himself, do you really think the whole Iraq plan was him? Dont you always say he's really stupid?
  • Options
    No, plans for Iraq were almost certainly drawn by far more sinister (and powerful) members of the Republican Party, lobbying for the interests of various parties and movements- the PNAC being the most obvious one. You are right to be worried about the people surrounding him.

Dubya is profoundly stupid in the sense that he allows himself to be controlled like a puppet and brainwashed to the point where he probably genuinely believes he came up with the policies in the first place and/or was 'inspired' if not plain dictated his plans by the Almighty Himself.

He also shows a total lack of control and direction over his own Presidency, as the appalling shambles that was the aftermath of Katrina proved.

In all, a very unintelligent man.
  • Options
    Perhaps God spoke to George and Tony whilst they were preying together,

Theres a cartoon in the Independent I think with George on the phone saying

"Lord you sound just like Dick Cheney"
  • Options
  • Options
    Wow Slippy, they denied it, must not have happened then! :yeees:
  • Options
    Most religious people look to their God(s) for guidance and advice. I dont have a problem with that.

It certainly doesnt make them mentally retarded, as your insulting and offensive comment said.

Anyone who claims God is directly talking to them and giving them specific instructions is either lying or has some kind of mental illness.

End of.
  • Options
    Wow Slippy, they denied it, must not have happened then! :yeees:

I would take their word for it over Nabil Shaath. (Wow Clandestine, Nabil Shaath says it happened so it must have!)
  • Options
    Trust the Republicans to try and pass the buck onto a non-specific deity. I suppose God told him to do nothing when the hurricane hit New Orleans too...
  • Options
    I have no doubt, slippy, that you'd take the word of repeatedly exposed liars, spin artists, and laughably arrogant demogogues. Your blind sycophantry to brand America and the cognitive dissonance it represents has been more than amply demonstrated time and again.
  • Options
    Are you suggesting Clandestine, that we should autmoatically accept this story as "fact" then?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Anyone who claims God is directly talking to them and giving them specific instructions is either lying or has some kind of mental illness.

End of.

Unless they are a prophet, but I suspect a prophetic person would be nice and not lead to the killing / displacement / etc. of thousands of people. *shrugs*

There might be a lot of people who talk to god and ask him for his guidance, but there aren't many who say 'i was told by god to do this' as in specific tasks.
  • Options
    There might be a lot of people who talk to god and ask him for his guidance, but there aren't many who say 'i was told by god to do this' as in specific tasks.
    Exactly. Last time I checked, people who claimed they heard voices in their heads were deemed as to be suffering from mental illness.
  • Options
    You can accept or deny what you wish, MoK. You clearly have a penchant, though, for automatically believing whatever sensationalist reports may appear about this or that poor citizen being strangled or in some way abused. So why this, coming from one with a documented roster of repeatedly arrogant and presumptive assertions about his administration "doing God's will" (itself a claim of divine insight), should provoke your incredulity is beyond me.

Astute minds will recognise the considerable disparity in political capital at risk of being compromised between the admission (and reluctant one at that) of a former foreign minister and denials made by the PR mouthpieces of an incumbent US President.

The weight of legitimacy, like it or not, falls on the side of the claim having been made.
  • Options
    You can accept or deny what you wish, MoK. You clearly have a penchant, though, for automatically believing whatever sensationalist reports may appear

You have a penchant for making assumptions Clandestine. At no time have I said that I don't believe that GWB has said such a thing.

I have, however, just pointed out that the account is open to question. Isn't it you who says that we should question what we are told. Sadly you have again proven that you do not apply your own advice when it comes to criticism of the current US regime.
    about this or that poor citizen being strangled or in some way abused.

is this related to any specific story, or are you just having a rant?
  • Options
    No MoK, ability to discern the untrustworthiness of claims/denials made by those (in this case an administration) which have been repeatedly exposed for their lies, arrogance and mounting crimes (both domestic and international) from consistent attention and research into the same, is both informed and legitimately critical in nature.

Once again, the weight of documented claims made to date by this President, coupled with the lack of any real political benefit to be gained by Mr. Shaath's admission, are more than sufficient testimony to the veracity of the report.

The point about other reports was made simply to illustrate the absence of any such suggestions from you towards those who comment on any number of sensationalist articles of the day posted in these forums.
  • Options
    Do we know he said that the voices told him, or do we suspect that?

And, as I have said many many people pray when they are having trouble making a tough choice and think it helps them make it. Is that nuts?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Do we know he said that the voices told him, or do we suspect that?

And, as I have said many many people pray when they are having trouble making a tough choice and think it helps them make it. Is that nuts?
    I think that's probably more likely what he means if he has ever said the God talks to him.

This thread does seem unpleasantly bigoted though.
  • Options
    Bigoted towards whom/what?
  • Options
    Anyone that doesn't subscribe to your worldview.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Bigoted towards whom/what?

It seems bigoted against anyone who isnt a confirmed atheist.