Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Prisoners To Be Given the Vote

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ok then.
  • Options
    Ok what?
  • Options
    I'm very much in two minds about it. I agree about them not being in society, and therefore not needing to influence it.

Maybe it should just be given to those prisoners that will be affected by it (i.e. will be released a significant period before another election).

I'm swaying towards them being able to vote, if only because the government can make up any old bollocks law (if they so desire) and put you away for breaking it.
  • Options
    ok whatever, I don't care.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    ok whatever, I don't care.

you don't care about your own opinions? How odd.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I consider it a priviledge, being allowed a say in the governence of ones country is not an unassailable right.

*chokes*

You what???!!!
    If it bothers you so much that the rich are allowed to walk free and the poor are imprisoned because of the system lacking the control systems to allow the poor to pay their fines (which they have commited a crime to have to pay one off), don't you think you should do something about that?

Yes, I do what I can with the little (insignificant I suppose) influence I have.

I've also include the harsher treatment handed our to ethnic minorities in there too.
    If someone is refusing to participate in the system, if someone is imprisoned for they way they behave, then their priviledges should be suspended, freedom of movement, and the ability to vote.

Being imprisoned is more about protecting the general public than it is about punishment, and removing the vote doesn't achieve that end.

However, if we are only concentrating on the punishment aspect then isn't the removal of freedom enough? If not, what are you after justice or revenge?
    I fail to see why you think that people who have commited crimes that are sufficient enough to merit prison should still have a say in the system.

because a significant number are inside for less than five years and therefore are affected by the result of an election which they have be refused a say. They also have no influence over their own treatment, whilst inside they have no MP who represents their view etc etc etc
    Ian Huntley, have violated the system so much that they should never have a say in it again.

How did he violate the democratic process? How did he violate the Govt? How did he violate the system? And isn't he now paying for his crimes by being denied his freedom?
  • Options
    If you commit a crime worthy of imprisonment then you have taken a decision to deprive yourself of the vote.

People don't end up in prison by accident.
  • Options
    If you commit a crime worthy of imprisonment then you have taken a decision to deprive yourself of the vote.

That's a BIG if, sometimes. Yes you are right, we must obey the whims of our masters or lose the chance at giving them legitimacy. :rolleyes:

I really wish they would just stop pretending and drop the whole "democracy" PR sometimes. It makes perfectly reasonable people stand up for things they know to be quite wrong.
    People don't end up in prison by accident.

No, quite right. They are kidnapped, held by force, judged and then caged according to the whims of a small bunch of lunatics. Of course, that bunch can do what they like. Remember, it's ok to use violence against people if the paperwork has been filed.

Jesus.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Would you have a problem if we started to tortue prisoners (officially that is ;) ), after all they have given up their rights.

I mean, just how far does this go, what would you consider unacceptable treatment of prisoners?
  • Options
    Causing physical harm to prisoners is not acceptable behaviour.

I don't believe that the right to vote is in the same league when it comes to "rights". The right to liberty is given up when one commits a serious crime, the right of voting is given up in the same manner IMHO.

If you agree the right to liberty should be given up in these instances, why does it change when it comes to ticking a box on a sheet of paper?

Klintock: if the "whims of our masters" stretches to not raping, attacking and murdering people, then I think they have it quite right.
  • Options
    Klintock: if the "whims of our masters" stretches to not raping, attacking and murdering people, then I think they have it quite right.

Kermit: the people they haven't singled out at the moment, you mean?

Theres a reason that murder and rape etc aren't statutory crimes, isn't there?

No government required.

And that only covers 10-15% of the prison population as I recall. Most everyone else is in there because they are poor or addicted to something because they are poor. Even then, possession of a weapon is also included in violent crime figures, (again if I remember right) and so is some other stuff to bloat the numbers to make the police look more effective.
  • Options
    So NQA, basically you believe the right to vote should be at the whim of a judge?

Hopefully its not quite the whim of the judge - but yes I believe if you've been convicted of a crime I think whilst in prison you should loose the right to vote.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I think this is a good measure but I am a little concerned about the effect it will have.

Prisoners are, in the main, actually quite conservative (well right wing) and large voting blocks of prisons might upset the local balance to a big degree.

So if they were left wing it would be alright? :chin:
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Theres a reason that murder and rape etc aren't statutory crimes, isn't there?

Actually, rape is a stautory crime. So is paedophilia.
  • Options
    Actually, rape is a stautory crime. So is paedophilia.

Ahh that changes everything. Why aren't these common law offences again?

Oh, that's right, people expected to have some kind of personal restitution way back when. As women and children belonged to men and not "states" then there were other methods of sorting out damage. Barbaric, but kind of honest.

Shame we aren't allowed soveriegnty these days innit?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    So if they were left wing it would be alright? :chin:

You're putting words into my mouth there really, I was just saying that a big voting block, if in a small area will drasticly alter the balance. This could be seen as unfair.

It makes no odds if they are communist, nazi or monster raving loony, if they as a block can swing the election I can see locals getting a bit annoyed.
  • Options
    I doubt they would get that annoyed. The majority of prisons reside in quiet rural, conservative constituencies.