Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Prisoners To Be Given the Vote

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4315348.stm

I am only surprised that they did not say prison was a breach of there human rights.

Comments

• Options
    I knew that this would appeal to you when I heard the story.

Care to explain why prisoners shouldn't be able to vote?
  • Options
    Prisoners are part of society. Unless we want to lock everyone up for life, we need to put more effort into integrating prisoners into ordinary life - which means accountability for one's actions. Involvement in the democratic process is a way of doing just that.

It's got my vote, if you'll excuse the pun.
  • Options
    If the prisoners feel more of a part of society then they have more incentive to conform when they're released.
  • Options
    Are convicted criminals allowed to vote once released?
  • Options
    yes
  • Options
    *preempts you-know-who*:

"This is political correctness gone MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD"
  • Options
    Then I would consider having voting rights removed part of the punishment. If they cannot obey the rules of society, they they should have no say in it while still serving their punishments.
  • Options
    If the prisoners feel more of a part of society then they have more incentive to conform when they're released.
    Yep.
  • Options
    They can vote whilst released - loosing your right to vote whilst in jail is part of the punishment (though given the low electoral turn-outs its debateable how many notice)
  • Options
    But isn't there an argument for wanting to rehabilitate the prisoner as well as punish him? There has to be a balance somewhere. If there was to be all punishment and no rehabilitation why do we bother to offer them courses, walks in the yard and hot meals when we could just give them bread and water and keep them locked up in their cells 24/7?
  • Options
    Given that those being voted for are criminals as well, only makes sense to add the ballots of convicts to the whole charade we call democracy.
  • Options
    Given that those being voted for are criminals as well, only makes sense to add the ballots of convicts to the whole charade we call democracy.
    :D
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    But isn't there an argument for wanting to rehabilitate the prisoner as well as punish him? There has to be a balance somewhere. If there was to be all punishment and no rehabilitation why do we bother to offer them courses, walks in the yard and hot meals when we could just give them bread and water and keep them locked up in their cells 24/7?

I'm not sure loosing your right to vote goes against rehabilitation. In fact rehabilitation probably does require some form of punishment (the stick) as well as assistance to help people go straight (the carrot). i don't think one works without the other.
  • Options
    Would it be fair to deny someone to vote if they're in prison for unpaid parking tickets? Meanwhile someone who only gets community service for theft or assault would get the vote? What about people who are wrongfully imprisoned?

People who commit electoral fraud, however, should have the vote taken away from them.
  • Options
    What about people who are wrongfully imprisoned?
    :lol:

Think about it.
  • Options
    Would it be fair to deny someone to vote if they're in prison for unpaid parking tickets?

Yes, because they're in jail
    Meanwhile someone who only gets community service for theft or assault would get the vote?

Yes, because they're not in jail
    What about people who are wrongfully imprisoned?

How do you work out which ones they are. The whole point of prison (rather than being on remand) is that the system has found you guilty. if it later transpires you're innocent you should get compensation (which should include some recompense for loosing your vote)
    People who commit electoral fraud, however, should have the vote taken away from them.

They do if they go to jail.
  • Options
    So NQA, basically you believe the right to vote should be at the whim of a judge?
  • Options
    The right to freedom is on the "whim" of a judge. You trust the justice system to dole out punishment, why is it different just the privaledge of voting is lost when one is imprisoned.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    The right to freedom is on the "whim" of a judge.

Indeed, and as the thread isn't about that aspect I haven't commented further.
    why is it different just the privaledge of voting is lost when one is imprisoned.

It's not a priviledge, it's a right.

Do you think it is acceptable fora poor person who cannot pay his a fine to be denied his right to vote, but a rich person who can afforf it retains theirs, for example.

Or that the opportunity to vote can be a matter of when you case is heard, not the crime you committed. If someone was imprisoned in for a month in March this year then they would get the vote, if it was in May the didn't. Regardless of the crime they committed. Is that justice?]

The imprisonment, the loss of freedom is a punishment. The loss of a vote is a restriction of right.
  • Options
    If you are in prison serving a sentence then you have committed an act of great magnitude against society. Until you are released you have not paid your debt to society, and as such you should not have a say in society.

I expect that people would now ask why community sentences should not attact this action. One reason: if you are on a community based sentence then your crime is not that serious, certainly not serious enough to warrant having your voice in society temporarily removed.

People who cannot pay their fines are not imprisoned. Fines are often paid at £1/week, and are often not that high anyway, maybe £200. People who will not pay their fines are imprisoned. And if you don't pay your fines then, quite frankly, you deserve everything you get.

If you end up in prison it is because you deserve to end up in prison. Even most remand prisoners probably deserve to be in prison, as most of them are unable to obey even the most simple bail conditions and commit offences whilst on bail. But remand prisoners should be allowed to vote.

If you pass the custody threshold then you should lose the right to vote until your debt to society has been paid.
  • Options
    I think this is a good measure but I am a little concerned about the effect it will have.

Prisoners are, in the main, actually quite conservative (well right wing) and large voting blocks of prisons might upset the local balance to a big degree.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If you end up in prison it is because you deserve to end up in prison.

Fair enough.

Still doesn't explain why prisoners shouldn't vote though.

They may deserve to be in prison, but why isn't that punishment enough?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Then I would consider having voting rights removed part of the punishment. If they cannot obey the rules of society, they they should have no say in it while still serving their punishments.

exatamundo, they can vote afterwards, after they've served their time
  • Options
    If you are in prison serving a sentence then you have committed an act of great magnitude against society.

Bullshit, and you know it. If the university of lancaster can't think or feel for itself, neither can "society."
    Until you are released you have not paid your debt to society, and as such you should not have a say in society.

Jesus.
    One reason: if you are on a community based sentence then your crime is not that serious, certainly not serious enough to warrant having your voice in society temporarily removed.

Unless the magistrate is "on crack", eh?
    People who cannot pay their fines are not imprisoned. Fines are often paid at £1/week, and are often not that high anyway, maybe £200.

That's generosity for you.
    People who will not pay their fines are imprisoned. And if you don't pay your fines then, quite frankly, you deserve everything you get.

Like that pensioner who refused on moral grounds you mean? How about someone who is innocent and won't submit? Fuck that.
    If you end up in prison it is because you deserve to end up in prison.

This is some scary shit. Utter fucking tosh too.
    Even most remand prisoners probably deserve to be in prison, as most of them are unable to obey even the most simple bail conditions and commit offences whilst on bail.

Why should they? They are presumed innocent. Like that means anything. Why should anyone submit to the will of some crazed fanatic who believes in words more than people? Oh yeah, he can kidnap whoever he fancies, injure who the hell he likes, take what he wants. (Providing the paperwork has been done :rolleyes: )
    But remand prisoners should be allowed to vote.

They shouldn't be inside. End of story.
    If you pass the custody threshold then you should lose the right to vote until your debt to society has been paid.

How do you pay a debt to what doesn't exist?
  • Options
    It's not a priviledge, it's a right.

I consider it a priviledge, being allowed a say in the governence of ones country is not an unassailable right.
    Do you think it is acceptable fora poor person who cannot pay his a fine to be denied his right to vote, but a rich person who can afforf it retains theirs, for example.

If it bothers you so much that the rich are allowed to walk free and the poor are imprisoned because of the system lacking the control systems to allow the poor to pay their fines (which they have commited a crime to have to pay one off), don't you think you should do something about that? If someone is refusing to participate in the system, if someone is imprisoned for they way they behave, then their priviledges should be suspended, freedom of movement, and the ability to vote.
    The imprisonment, the loss of freedom is a punishment. The loss of a vote is a restriction of right.

I fail to see why you think that people who have commited crimes that are sufficient enough to merit prison should still have a say in the system. Those that commit relatively minor crimes are unlikely to miss any elections anyway, those that commit major crimes, like (sorry same old example) Ian Huntley, have violated the system so much that they should never have a say in it again.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I consider it a priviledge, being allowed a say in the governence of ones country is not an unassailable right.

I take it you have no problem with dictatorships then?
  • Options
    Yeah, because that's the point isn't it.

If someone if someone is imprisoned because they have broken the law, they should have no say in the running of the country, because they have rebelled against the country.

Last time I checked we were talking about the UK
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Yeah, because that's the point isn't it.

If someone if someone is imprisoned because they have broken the law, they should have no say in the running of the country, because they have rebelled against the country.

Last time I checked we were talking about the UK

You have a great habit of missing the point.
  • Options
    Bothered? I'm debating whether UK inmates should be allowed to vote. You can debate whatever you like.
  • Options
    You're saying that democracy isn't a right*. I'm saying if you follow that line of argument to its logical conclusion, it means you have no problem with dictatorships.

*although of course "rights" are a compex issue themselves - they have a particular economic and social context