Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

IRA decommissioning

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    Did you hear that one of the weapons they got rid of was a fully functional flame thrower, what the hell were they planning to do with that?!

Kill people. I know that during the 80s a flamethrower was used to attack an army sangar - several soldiers suffered severe burns.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    bongbudda wrote:
    A super soaker filled with petrol makes a rather effective one, though it was probably quite dangerous.

After seeing a mate's one melt in his hand's, i'd rather not. :lol:

I am thinking Metal pipe + Hose + Valve + Fuel. I saw a Lighter Fluid one... it's safer, as it burns at a far lower temperature.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    After seeing a mate's one melt in his hand's, i'd rather not. :lol:

I am thinking Metal pipe + Hose + Valve + Fuel. I saw a Lighter Fluid one... it's safer, as it burns at a far lower temperature.

Yes, its perhaps not one of my proudest acheivements, but the flame out of the end, the heat and the roar of the flame were most impressive.

Do not try that at home kids.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    True. We had all this before, it just means they've got some new ones.

stop making assumptions based on nothing

even if they didnt bin all their weapons, they put a HUGE amount of weapons beyond use which i think is good enough

i hope they didnt bin them all, it would be silly with the loyalist paramilitaries still having theirs ... you never know what could happen

and yea they hard all sorts of weapons .. rpgs were pretty common in belfast
  • Options
    Well p'haps if the IRA hadn't been so busily murdering people in front of their families the police could have been dealing with the loyalist terrorists.

The IRA are a bunch of murdering fuckers. So are the UVF. end of.

PS and if you're English either do some research or shut up. Your comments are just revealing your ignorance
  • Options
    There's bound to be some IRA weapons still floating about, that's not the point, the point is that they are unable to engage in a full blown war like they used to...as for loyalism, it's gone far beyond the orignal principles of loyalism, all about power and drugs these days...so no real hope of them decomissioning, wouldn't worry too much, there aren't that many loyalist strongholds outside belfast these days anyway.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    wouldn't worry too much, there aren't that many loyalist strongholds outside belfast these days anyway.

not much good to me !

the likes of antrim and newtownards are filled with em.. i think the lvf have quite a lot of members in antrim

its quite sad actually .. you see their areas bunged with loyalist/paramilitary flags/graffiti and what not ... it seems that the majority of protestant youths are trapped by them before they even have a chance

growing up in deprived areas like these ... joining the uym and dealing drugs and whatnot is probably one of the best sounding things going for them

the people influencing the new generation are to blame ... what hope do you have if your parents are telling you as a kid that you're to hate the other side ? its basically being programmed into people

i mean .. you could get lucky and maybe not be influenced by the people in the area around you .. but if you're unfortunate enough to have such bigoted parents you're gonna listen to what they tell you ... that combined with everyone else around you doing the same thing you can easily see how hate breeds

you see them blocking off roads with their babies in their arms ... actually saw a picture a while ago of a woman holding her baby and the babys bib had a loyalist flag with 'no surrender' under it printed onto it :rolleyes:
  • Options
    as a catholic born in west belfast and grew up on falls rd this is a topic close to my heart. I am not a provo supporter but I am an Irish nationalist who supports a united Ireland free from british rule. but I also wouldnt want Ireland run by the 'modern day' sinn fein

what annoys me is there is no talk of loyalist death squads & terrorists giving up their weapons. in my eyes the uvf/uda are much worse than any republican group, they are a nasty piece of work, and they get intelligence from the british goverment! to go out and kill innocents, plus they are racists who have links to many far right groups.

the whole 'religion' thing is used when people do not understand or are too ignorant to realise that the troubles are down to 800 years of an illegal occupation by the british state. they put the scottish protestants there, they caused loyalism & republicanism.

I have no problems with protestants, some of my best friends are protestant, I would never deny them their right to their religion and who they are. even in a united ireland I would still respect their right to practise their religion. but loyalists are living in a dream world if they think they are british, they were born in ireland, they are irish, simple as.

it makes me laugh when british people are up in arms over the occupation of iraq when there are people on their door step who have been oppressed for hundreds of years.