Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

IRA decommissioning

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
so yea, the IRA have put all of their arms beyond use

http://u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=65319&pt=n

a huge step forwards in the peace process

of course paisley and co aren't satisfied, but nothing new there eh

now it is time for the loyalist paramilitaries to decommission, what need do they have for their weapons if there is no armed struggle ?

what do you think of this ? i'm interested to hear the views of people outside of northern ireland !

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    They should all decomission their firearms and give them to me. I want a Norinco Type 56.

Seriously though, everyone lay down arms and get along. Then we wouldn't even NEED a border. Religious divides are outdated... lets stop with it and all work together, there are far bigger things to worry about.
  • Options
    Religious divides are outdated... lets stop with it and all work together, there are far bigger things to worry about.

Spoken like a true Englishman.

Its nothing to do with religion - the IRA weren't planting bombs in towns because they were arguing over the finer point of religious doctrine. Nor were the UVF shooting people in pubs over whether the Pope should be head of the church.

What people were dying over was whether Northern Ireland was part of the UK or part of the Republic of Ireland. Who governs you is a pretty big argument to worry about.
  • Options
    So why is the divide catholic and protestant? If we let the North back to Ireland, they'll get killed.

Religion. Why did Britain have an Empire? Power, and the spread of Christianity, which is as ever important.
  • Options
    So why is the divide catholic and protestant?

Its an easy and simplistic short hand. But not all Protestants are unionists (though most are) and not all Catholics are nationalists (though many are). At least one member of INLA was a Protestant and there were plenty of Catholic RUC officers - who paid with it for their lives.

And even if one uses that shorthand - its more about ethnicity than religion. Northern Ireland may be more religious than much of Western Europe, but I can tell you a fair proportion of the gunmen on both sides wouldn't know the inside of a Church from the inside of a brothel (though others were extremely religious). They were killing for reasons other than religion.
  • Options
    Ah, fair enough. It's always shown to be a religious thing.

Hmm, never trust media. I suppose its a war of what both sides beleive and want, like Vietnam. But obviously, less actuall war.
  • Options
    someone with a bit of sense :)
  • Options
    I doubt peace will ever come to N.I, regardless of who decommisions. :no:
  • Options
    I doubt peace will ever come to N.I, regardless of who decommisions. :no:

Depends what you mean. If you mean a perfect peace I agree. You don't have 30 years of murder and then everyone suddenly decides we're all friends together. In our local church there's too many bodies in graves (including a member of my family and family friends) for me to ever forgive the IRA. I suspect there's Catholic Churches with too many bodies for people to forgive the UVF.

But its a lot better than when I was in growing up.
  • Options
    Yeh that's it really, you're not going to have a perfect peace. But at least now the IRA's guns are gone (and I don't need photos to believe it) and the Army are making some moves to scale down their presence.

What we need now is a police force that both sides are happy with and to get the old bastards in Stormont talking to each other again.
  • Options
    least it's a step in the right dirrection.
  • Options
    just ignore me.
  • Options
    just ignore me.

Now, I want to know what was there.
  • Options
    Its a good step that they have removed the weapons they used for the armed struggle. I'd love to believe they have now no weapons at all, but we all know thats not the case.

Now hopefully both sides 'paramilitaries' can be treated for what they are (in the main) criminal groups. You can not have a stable country where there is instituationalised criminality.
  • Options
    What struck me was the IRA's refusal for the protestant clergy witness to be a Presbyterian. At least if it had been then it would have been harder for Paisley to argue the decommissioning wasn't transparent and thus stop him undermining it all.
  • Options
    Can we decommission Ian Paisley?
  • Options
    take him out to the countryside and shoot him in the face several times i say

i'd say that man has preached more hate than anyone in this country, he's a shit stirring crazy bastard who everyone would be better off without - its amazing how influential he can be ... some people are so easily led!

he's done a great job of making this country a lot worse than it had to be!
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    take him out to the countryside and shoot him in the face several times i say

i'd say that man has preached more hate than anyone in this country, he's a shit stirring crazy bastard who everyone would be better off without - its amazing how influential he can be ... some people are so easily led!

he's done a great job of making this country a lot worse than it had to be!

Only if you take that cunt Adams as well and let him bleed, paingfully to death. I've never voted Paisley in my life, but he's a lot better than many of the fuckers.

Following a loyalist murder in his constituency he said that the murderers cam from hell and that is where they would return. Its probably worth noting he would mean that literally.

Or perhaps its about time that some people realised that shooting their opponents in the face has not tended to lead to great community relations.
  • Options
    aye give adams a few bullets too

he's not as bad and he doesn't exactly spread hatred in the sense that paisley does but the lot of them are useless
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    aye give adams a few bullets too

he's not as bad and he doesn't exactly spread hatred in the sense that paisley does but the lot of them are useless

Rather true. I don't see how we can hope for anything with those two.
  • Options
    Studying the issue of home rule for one of the History modules last year and reading Dangerfield’s Strange Death of Liberal England it seems as though the Conservatives/Ulster Unionists caused much of the mess we’ve got today. Home rule for Ireland wouldn't have gave it anything like full independence, it would have probably worked out something like devolution has in Wales..It wouldn't have been significant at all and it would have appeased most of the nationalists but the Ulster unionists wouldn't compromise, had they I don't think there'd have been all of the problems that have went on for far too long.

The DUP and SF both seem to be full of scumbags. Why can't people vote SDLP and UUP instead? It'd make things a lot easier surely.
  • Options
    anyone who believes an organisation such as the IRA just bins all its weapons is rather foolish.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Now, I want to know what was there.
    i was a wee bit bladdered and suggested trading guns for skunk to bring peace ...and then rambled on and on about drugs ...can't imagine why.

trouble is since they removed the option to delete theres no escape!
  • Options
    anyone who believes an organisation such as the IRA just bins all its weapons is rather foolish.

True. We had all this before, it just means they've got some new ones.

And good idea.. if everyone was high, they wouldn't want to fight... but they may not want to do much else, either.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    True. We had all this before, it just means they've got some new ones.

And good idea.. if everyone was high, they wouldn't want to fight... but they may not want to do much else, either.
    they'd be shooting each other for not passing the spliff.
  • Options
    they'd be shooting each other for not passing the spliff.

Like you can be botherd to go pickup the rifle. It's too far away. Plus, if you are being a git and going to smoke the whole damn thing...
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Like you can be botherd to go pickup the rifle. It's too far away. Plus, if you are being a git and going to smoke the whole damn thing...
    you've never smoked with bad men.
    goodnight.
  • Options
    you've never smoked with bad men.
    goodnight.

I have a good crowd... thankfully.

Night!
  • Options
    Did you hear that one of the weapons they got rid of was a fully functional flame thrower, what the hell were they planning to do with that?!
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Did you hear that one of the weapons they got rid of was a fully functional flame thrower, what the hell were they planning to do with that?!

Genocide? Or maybe kill off some weeds, thats what my Granddad used his for. :D It was funky.

I could make one I suppose... simple system... oooh. Fun.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I could make one I suppose... simple system... oooh. Fun.

A super soaker filled with petrol makes a rather effective one, though it was probably quite dangerous.