Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What's in a name?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My dad's a teacher - and they actually do this.
    Names he associates with bad behaviour are names like Kane/Cane, Bradley, Ryan, Liam. Mainly boys names, but I think that's because all the girls in his year 5/6 class adore him and all behave really well.

Also if he finds a kid annoying he will pronounce their name funny at home (don't worry he doesn't discriminate at school or anywhere other than just talking at home) like instead of saying 'Arun' for 'Aaron' he will say 'air-on' because he thinks he is being clever. But that's just my dad being a nob. He also tucks his Tshirts into his tracksuit bottoms. So you can't really trust his judgement on anything!
  • Options
    I never know how to pronounce Aaron (is Air-un wrong?).

It is strange how names have become class indicators though. You don't get many kids called Charles on a council estate, or many called Bradley as lord of the manor.

I really dislike double-barrelled first names though. So naff.
  • Options
  • Options
    i don't normally like weird spellings but earlier i saw an emilee and thought it looked quite nice but then i'd get so fed up if people kept spelling my name wrong so no point in the end! i used to have the problem with my surname until we got it changed.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

I don't think its wrong, it might be the correct pronunciation (ask me in 3 years after I've done my uni course!), but it's the fact that its usually pronounced 'Arun' and my dad is a bit petty. And on changed spelling - I know two people called 'Aran' but I don't think that looks weird, except its the feminine form and also a type of woolly jumper... (although I didn't tell them that because I think they may be offended!)
  • Options
    I like your dad.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Some believe that different names influence the persons personality:
    http://www.kabalarians.com/

The meaning of my name Leanne according to that the second paragraph is virtually spot on.

Although the name Leanne creates the urge to work in harmony with others, we point out that it causes a superior, interfering expression. This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses in the fluid systems, worry and mental tension.

Your name of Leanne gives you the desire to understand and to help others but, at the same time you can become too involved in their problems and, as a result, worry too much. You desire a home and family of your own and have the ability to create understanding and harmony in family association as you are pliable, forgiving, and tactful. You love children and would not hesitate to care for any children who might need you. Whenever possible, you avoid argument and turmoil because you prefer not to face an issue if it means hurting anyone's feelings
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

Thats a really common name! Aaron for a boy and Erin for a girl. Same pronunciation air-in (for my minnesota accent) and air-ron for others around the country.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    J wrote:
    The phonetic writing (Yorghos) wasn't in the list, but the letter-for-letter one was:
    Your name of Giorgos creates a very expressive, versatile, and spontaneous nature. You are happiest when you are associating with people and participating in activities with others. Your name gives you a desire to sing, dance, and have a good time. This name makes you very idealistic, emotional, and temperamental, liking to do things on the spur-of-the-moment and disliking being repressed or held down to monotonous detail.
    I think it's pretty close... But many other things could describe me as well, so I don't think it means much.

As for the wrong writing of names, I kind of have that problem with my surname. Whenever I'm telling someone who needs to note it, I have to emphasise "With only one 's'."
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Thats a really common name! Aaron for a boy and Erin for a girl. Same pronunciation air-in (for my minnesota accent) and air-ron for others around the country.
    I love the name Erin.
  • Options
    Shogun wrote:
    Fuck off

I dunno why but i just felt like saying it. :thumb:

That's so random... made me laugh... I am slightly drunk though :chin:

Well my name is one of the 'goodies' :yippe: I was a delight at school.... :razz:

Do you lot find if you've known someone horrible with a certain name, you don't like that name? Like there was this girl at my school called Kirsty and she wasn't very nice... I've never liked the name since.
  • Options
    My little cousin is called Bayley but spelt with a y rather than an I. I weren't too sure about it at first but now it really suits him
    Him? :eek:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

Yeah, it's a boys name not a girls
  • Options
    yes, bo-bailey is a boy too.

in answer to lu_c's question...yes i do! i've never been able to get on with Kellys...i was bullied at school by a couple of them and just can't seem to get on with them at all.

that personality thing was spot on for me too.
  • Options
    Is it just me, or do practically all girls have the middle name Louise?

Luckily I don't, but I know of so many people who do.
  • Options
    Bobbi-Jo, Kloe, K'tee, Kristopher, Jayne, Wayne, Charlie, Liam, Ryan

Who the hell would call their kid Bobbi-Jo or K'tee? I mean either their kid will end up sounding like a gangsta or a redneck.
  • Options
    Yeah, it's a boys name not a girls
    No it's not. What's he gonna do when he's 25? He needs a nickname urgently.

This is the problem with parents today - they pick cute names for babies with no thought to the future.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

This is the problem with parents today - they pick cute names for babies with no thought to the future.

I quite like it. I don't think it would suit a girl really. Each to their own I spose though. I have heard of grown up blokes with the name before.
  • Options
    I don't think it would suit a girl really.
    How can a girly name not suit a girl?

I takes all sorts to make a world I suppose.

I want to call my daughter India. Some people think that's a strange name too.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    How can a girly name not suit a girl?

I takes all sorts to make a world I suppose.

I want to call my daughter India. Some people think that's a strange name too.

I think that's quite nice
  • Options
    I don't think its just teachers who think like that. I do too. My name isn't on either list, but I don't think it would be on the bad one out of the two.
    I've got to agree with that, i did find myself agreeing with what the teachers said. Maybe i'm just being a snob? My name wasn't on either list but tbh i'd be surprised if "Anna" was a problem child name. and why the hell would you name your child K'tah? Do you just hate them or something? okay, vented, i'm all good now. :D
  • Options
    j wrote:

Your first name of Mel has given you a quick, active mind, which has caused you to delve into many different ideas and theories. You have a desire for association with people and, since you have no difficulty in being spontaneous and expressive with others, you have considerable ability for discussion and debate. You enjoy unexpected opportunities for meeting people, or doing things on the spur of the moment. Where you have difficulty is in organizing and systematizing the handling of your responsibilities. Though you can work on any undertaking intently as long as it absorbs your interest, you cannot persevere when confronted by obstacles or by tedious monotony.

that is more or less spot on, i tried to cut out the bits that didnt fit but there wasnt really any.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

thing being its currently a really popular name so in 25years it wont be an issue, he will probably be one of about 5 in his class at school with the same name. same as no-one blinks an eye at sharon's and tracy's now.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

you can't have a girl called bayley!
  • Options
    Is it just me, or do practically all girls have the middle name Louise?

Luckily I don't, but I know of so many people who do.

yeh i know a few people with the middle name of louise..one of them being my sister.

it seems to go with most names, even lucy which is strange!
  • Options
    I think my first name (Thomasyn) has a bit of an old-fashioned thing to it, and added to my middle name (Mary), plus my kinda unusual last name, it might come off as a bit snobby. I've been called Tommy ever since I started school, so I'm used to it. I don't know how people feel about it - whether they think I'll be a tomboy, or loud, or whatever. I did used to get comments about it being a boys name when I was little. Usually from boys.

The thing I get most pissed off about is lazy pronunciation from teachers. I think Thomasyn is pretty phonetic - Thomas-in.. but I'm always being called Thomas, or Tamsin, or Tammy. Or Thomasina :yuck:.

I used to be a fan of a-sexual names - like Sidney (but with I, not Y) for a girl. But now I'd like to name a daughter Josephine (my mum's name). Not sure about a boy.

My brothers first and middle names are Reynard William Edward Leroy John, and he has a double-barrelled second name, so he sounds a bit of a toff :D.
  • Options
    I went to school with a girl called Barry. That confused the heck out of the teachers, who thought she was trying to be funny by answering to someone elses name.
  • Options
    My half-brothers middle name is Mary :crazyeyes

I've got a middle name and a confirmation name, Niall and Caoimhin..ooh
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    My half-brothers middle name is Mary :crazyeyes

Thast horrible!
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    My brothers first and middle names are Reynard William Edward Leroy John, and he has a double-barrelled second name, so he sounds a bit of a toff :D.
    Your brother has 4 middle names? People think my 2 middle names are excessive.