Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Next stop -------IRAN!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4257002.stm

They have started the groundwork for the persuasion of invasion.

Jack Straw says -
The Iranian president has offered nothing in this speech to suggest that he wants to abide by the agreement Iran has made

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4257278.stm

Iranian President Mahmud Ahmadinejad says -
The Islamic Republic of Iran reiterates its previously and repeatedly declared position that in accordance with our religious principles, pursuit of nuclear weapons is prohibited.

Oh and
In keeping with Iran's inalienable right to have access to a nuclear fuel cycle, continued interaction and technical and legal cooperation with the IAEA will be the centrepiece of our nuclear policy.

So either Jack is a cretin or doesn't give a shite what the president said because he's pursuing another agenda. :yes:

Leaving aside the issue of whether or not I believe Ahmadinejad, Jack Straw is clearly lying. I wonder how many people are going to be killed in my name this time, and if any of my friends and family will be killed in the inevitable reprisals. :(

Comments

• Options
    Most excellent news.
  • Options
    No one is gonna touch Iran. Iraq is still a work in progress on severe level, you still got new orleans under water, plus operations stull runnign in afgahinstan and some in pakistan, plus the drug crop destruction programme in south america and the the aid action in asia after the tsunami.

They don't have the troops to do anything. Nor the will I would say.

Its just politics. Its big talk and threats but no action will happen.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    No one is gonna touch Iran. Iraq is still a work in progress on severe level, you still got new orleans under water, plus operations stull runnign in afgahinstan and some in pakistan, plus the drug crop destruction programme in south america and the the aid action in asia after the tsunami.

you don't seriously believe the drug destruction crap surely?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

The coalition governments have not cared about whether they can control the situation afterwards so far though, have they? Look at afghanistan, we toppled the government there too, and though its a smallish country, we only left about 2000 troops there to regulate 'democracy' and so forth.

In a nice twist of irony though, the rich Afghanis and Iraqis were able to pay SAS soldiers up to 4 times what they were paid by us, so they simply became private body guards. The coalition governments didn't want to put more soldiers in there incase they ended up with their entire armies retiring! :razz:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Death To America!
    Death To The Infidel!
    Khamene Is Our Leader!

Iran? AGAIN? Oh, ffs. Why... ?

Ah well, shouldn't they.. like... Finish Iraq and Afghanistan first? Surley someone should tell that idiot of a stupid arse President - FINISH WHAT YOU START!
  • Options
    you don't seriously believe the drug destruction crap surely?

I have to laugh at that too. The Labour government hands over about 60 million a year in tax payers money to Afghanistan war lords, so they can make more opium and hand the money made from that to the Taliban. Now they are sending yet more troops over there. Not very clever, are they?
  • Options
    I'm with WalkinDude on this one, it's mostly talk. We're all simply just too spread out right now to try to invade yet another country. The idea of UN sactions is pleasent though.
  • Options
    I have to laugh at that too. The Labour government hands over about 60 million a year in tax payers money to Afghanistan war lords, so they can make more opium and hand the money made from that to the Taliban. Now they are sending yet more troops over there. Not very clever, are they?

You don't honestly believe they give a shit about eradicating opium production, do you?
  • Options
    Ah yes, how pleasant to wish deprivation and increased child mortality on yet another weaker nation simply because you swallow the lies of our own leaders and choose to perceive the opinions of Iranian leaders as having any impact on your life whatsoever. Bravo.

Nothing like comfort of moral relativism afforded to those snug in their comfy middle class suburban dens as far from the effects of what they cheer for as possible.

Not so morally superior to those chanting hate toward the west after all.
  • Options
    even funnier ...the taliban were the only sucsess ever in the so called war on drugs ...now afghanistan produces more opium than ever before!

back to iran ...i don't believe iran will be invaded but i do believe there will be air and missile strikes anytime soon.
    kill 'em in their thousands and destroy the infrastructure ...causing chaos in the middle east.
    those pesky towel heads will be begging the west for everything and anything by the time america have finnished with them.
    or that to me would seem to be the plan from the pnac boys ...thing is ...i think the people are proving to be far to proud to beg.
    we'll see though ...
  • Options
    even funnier ...the taliban were the only sucsess ever in the so called war on drugs ...now afghanistan produces more opium than ever before!

back to iran ...i don't believe iran will be invaded but i do believe there will be air and missile strikes anytime soon.
    kill 'em in their thousands and destroy the infrastructure ...causing chaos in the middle east.
    those pesky towel heads will be begging the west for everything and anything by the time america have finnished with them.
    or that to me would seem to be the plan from the pnac boys ...thing is ...i think the people are proving to be far to proud to beg.
    we'll see though ...

I reckon Iran will be invaded. If the peak oil theory is correct, which Bush's mob believe it is, then Iran probably will be next, they'll want a "co-operative" government...also this whole nuclear fiasco provides a far stronger pretext for war than Iraq's supposed "weapons of mass destruction" did.
  • Options
    Yes. like the last "cooperative" government we installed. Seem to recall that resulted in 25 years of brutal dictatorship that made Saddam's regime look like schoolyard bullies.

Shame the warmongers suffer from such a disconnect with history and its repercussions.

And the wheel goes round and round....
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    I reckon Iran will be invaded. If the peak oil theory is correct, which Bush's mob believe it is, then Iran probably will be next, they'll want a "co-operative" government...also this whole nuclear fiasco provides a far stronger pretext for war than Iraq's supposed "weapons of mass destruction" did.
    i don't think they will need ground forces to achieve that aim.
    if the planes and thre missiles start flying in ...they have nowhere to run .
    i believe the israelis and the yanks will blitz the place soon.
    and i think it will all go pear shaped for the yanks and the israelis.
  • Options
    Yes. like the last "cooperative" government we installed. Seem to recall that resulted in 25 years of brutal dictatorship that made Saddam's regime look like schoolyard bullies.

Shame the warmongers suffer from such a disconnect with history and its repercussions.

And the wheel goes round and round....

it's not so much that they are disconnected from history, it's more like "if at first you don't succeed...maybe the next murdering bastard you put in power wont fuck up"

I'm more of the philosophy "if at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't your sport"
  • Options
    i believe the israelis and the yanks will blitz the place soon.
    and i think it will all go pear shaped for the yanks and the israelis.

it's very likely.

what an odd term, what do you mean "pear shaped"?
  • Options
    another possibility is there will be a nuclear explosion in Iran anytime soon ...when the Iranians have an 'accident'.
  • Options
    oh how that ocean divides cousins!
    it means goes wrong ...gone wrong ...tits up.
  • Options
    it's very likely.

could make for an interesting thread. :)
  • Options
    oh how that ocean divides cousins!
    it means goes wrong ...gone wrong ...tits up.

hahaha figured as much
  • Options
    Its a tuff subject, they shud be able to have nuclear power but if some lil terrorists get holda stuff like that who knows what i mite happen.
  • Options
    I really wonder about the responses you get to this stuff.

They don't give a shit if the whole infrastructure gets flattened, as long as the oil keeps pumping.

They don't give a shit if the population get thinned out by disease, war and famine, as long as the oil keeps pumping.

They don't need stability, they need oil.

Stability is a threat, which is why they keep on tipping up the chessboard everytime the other player works out the rules.
    Its a tuff subject, they shud be able to have nuclear power but if some lil terrorists get holda stuff like that who knows what i mite happen.

Quick question - who is more likely to have some nuclear material nicked?

A free, prosperous western nation with a culture of doing things solely for financial gain, little practical control over it's population and a corrupt government - OR

A fundamentalist nation with curfews, lockdowns and all the rest of the paraphenalia of a totalitarain state, ruled by dogma and with severe and instant punishments for anyone that tries?

Well, don't fret, because we will never know. Iran will be hearing the march of thousands of tiny feet quite soon and we will all have numbers burned into our foreheads, ID cards and all that other shite.

>sigh< I'd rather be a number than a resource. numbers are at least individual.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:

Not much to be honest.

Weapons grade matter is different from commercial (i.e. power station) matter. You could improvise a 'dirty bomb' with the stuff, where a conventional explosive throws radioactive matter into the air polluting the area with radiation. But, you can't use that stuff in a nuclear bomb.

The reason everyone is apposed to it as getting a fission reaction in a lab (and thus a reactor) is the first step on the way to making a bomb. The more Iran develops its nuclear technology, the better they get at it, and eventually they could develop their own bombs, which scares other nations, because they want to feel superior to Iran, an 'if i wanted i could have that country there' ideology. Look at N. Korea, they already have a nuclear arsenal, so when they develop their own nuclear weapons, nations just go 'thats not very nice, is it'.

Perhaps oversimplified, but in my opinion, thats the way it is. It's about politics, not about using them against each other.
  • Options
    Iran isn't quite the closed society people seem to think.
    they have a huge internet population as ebay will confirm but ...
    i think the plans on the table are to turn the place and its people into glass.
    the yanks are very capable of extracting what they need.
    what they need is oil.
    the first tanker of oil to leave Iraq after the american invasion ...went straight to texas as a prize.
  • Options
    Not much to be honest.

Weapons grade matter is different from commercial (i.e. power station) matter. You could improvise a 'dirty bomb' with the stuff, where a conventional explosive throws radioactive matter into the air polluting the area with radiation. But, you can't use that stuff in a nuclear bomb.

The reason everyone is apposed to it as getting a fission reaction in a lab (and thus a reactor) is the first step on the way to making a bomb. The more Iran develops its nuclear technology, the better they get at it, and eventually they could develop their own bombs, which scares other nations, because they want to feel superior to Iran, an 'if i wanted i could have that country there' ideology. Look at N. Korea, they already have a nuclear arsenal, so when they develop their own nuclear weapons, nations just go 'thats not very nice, is it'.

Perhaps oversimplified, but in my opinion, thats the way it is. It's about politics, not about using them against each other.
    if iuran develpo nukes ...they will have a certain ammount of freedom to shape their own destiny.
  • Options
    if iuran develpo nukes ...they will have a certain ammount of freedom to shape their own destiny.

True, to use the butterfly analogy, they are sealed within a cocoon, and if they can't get out they will eventually perish or be absorbed into another culture / country. But if they find the strength and can push their way out of cocoon, in theory, they can fly anywhere.

*sings about the fairies, etc.*
  • Options
    notice how we have all been conditioned to accept the inevitable already?
    the shock and outrage when Iran goes down in flames will be muted cos we have already been prepared.
    and of course we will be able to discuss it right here with our rightous indignation.
    we have been neutralised.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Quick question - who is more likely to have some nuclear material nicked?
    oooh ooh I know the answer to that one. The former soviet union.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Funniest thing is the US Arming, Training and supporting the dear old Taliban against the USSR. Becasue they hate commies, they must be Pro USA!

Right... ?

Poetic Justice was served.
  • Options
    umm I wasn't on about opium in afghanistan, hell no one is touching the booming heroin trade there. No Imeant the coca crops in south america. They have been blitzinging the crops and pissing off all the farmers coz thats there liviely hood.

But I can see there is quite an anit-bush, american sentiment on here.

I'm half and half. I am no Bush fan but nor do i think he is the devil incarnate destroying the world. He's made good moves and bad moves. To be fair alot of bad ones comapred to good ones.

Seemingly people are obessed that there is gonan eb another war but you just have to look at the fatcs, they don't have th emoney or the resources to do anything. Chances are he will have to borrow money just to sort out this hurricane disaster. He can't afford anymore.

If there is gonna be anyway bombing, it will be strategic bombing by the Isrealies liek they did with Iraq way before the war but conosidering the prime minister is hunder pressure and there is the land handovers there. I reckon they have more on their minds then Iran.

Trust me, its just politics. They will use threat sure but they won't do anything of real significane. they don't even have to if they play their signals right.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    umm I wasn't on about opium in afghanistan, hell no one is touching the booming heroin trade there. No Imeant the coca crops in south america. They have been blitzinging the crops and pissing off all the farmers coz thats there liviely hood.

thing is it is mostly a publicity stunt.
    they have been eradicating the coca crop by ariel spraying since the seventies ...there are millions of acres and thousand of tons and ...more importantly it is one of the leading cash crops in the world ...especialy for weste ners.
    your not seriously believing that those in powere would ever dream of destroying a multi billion dollar cash in the hand business are you?