Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mixed marriages

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    In your opinion Mazza ?

Why do I always get the feeling that if anyone starts colour/race threads you immediately get on the defensive side ? Thats just something ive observed whilst Ive been here.
    how the hell can the thread be pointless?
    someone is asking questions about mixed marriages ...doesn't matter how common or not they may be.
    where i live a black face is extremely rare.
  • Options
    how the hell can the thread be pointless?
    someone is asking questions about mixed marriages

Well exactly, thats what i thought. I was genuinely interested in what problems people might have had due to having marriage/relationship with someone of a different race/colour.
  • Options
  • Options
    she was african american and was always complaining how she was denigrated by being referred to as 'Bob's Lass' by the local community.
    Funny how people see things isn't it?

I've lived in this village now for 10 years. My wife grew up here and I've been coming to the village for the past 18 years since we started dating.

The people who have known me since then still refer to me as "Kelly's husband". Not by my own name.

It isn't a race thing - we're noth white - it's just them placing me. Have to say they are the friendliest bunch of people you can imagine. Miner's village you see...
  • Options
  • Options
    It was an outsider thing, that would have been extended to anybody not brought up within the community.

Yes thats so true.

You have a bottle all to yourself........enjoy it :D
  • Options
  • Options
    I think what I'm trying to say is that in many parts of the country, even now it is very unusual to have a mixed relationship, and so I don't think it is a pointless thread personally. Outside of the big cities things go at a different pace.

Yep. I think it's a worthwhile thread too. Even though i am drunk, and so not reponsible for what I post either. :yippe:

It's all the beer's fault!

Luckily me and K.T. Tunstall are going to be up all night testing my tolerance for poison (with a little help from my friends) and focus.

I can't see through it, but know what's on the other side, i see myself in it but am not really there, I hear it's echoes but didn't start them, I help through a hand but not through the fist, I might not comment, but there is nothing that I missed.

Milner.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Even though i am drunk,

you lot are pissheads, first Ellie and now you :D
  • Options
    you lot are pissheads, first Ellie and now you :D

:D theres something special about fightin the keyboard to respond. All hail beer!

And foamy the squirrel, who has had me in stitches today -

http://www.scarysquirrel.org/special/movies/foamy/ssongs.html
  • Options
  • Options
    As a devout Muslim I can't imagine marrying someone who did not share my faith, my parents certainly wouldn't allow it.

A non-Muslim just wouldn't fit into our culture.
  • Options
    farrakhan wrote:
    As a devout Muslim I can't imagine marrying someone who did not share my faith, my parents certainly wouldn't allow it.

i understand that.
    how can one household bow to two different gods?
  • Options
    farrakhan wrote:

well your loss then buddy.

as for me, they're doesn't really seem to be stigma around my town when it comes to mixed couples. Course that is due to two reasons; first because my town (aside from hateashbury down in California) is the last hippie stronghold on the west coast, secondly because comparatively there are few minorities in my town so a "mixed couple" isn't that unusual.

personaly I have the hots of one of about two black girls at my school. lol
  • Options
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    Do you think they work well ?
    What if any problems do you think people would have if they chose a partner of a different race/religion ?
    Do you think children would suffer in a mixed marriage say if one partner was white and the other was black ?
    Do you think family members would be ok with mixed marriages and supposing families didnt agree do you think that would affect the couple ?

I think mixed religion presents more problems then mixed race these days

particularly when you have kids and have to decide what religion if any to choose for them, espacially since many religions have ceromonies you perform on the kids like baptising them

My parents are mixed religions and I don't really think we've had the best of both worlds ...just a bit of each ..but I think that's more down to my parents then the situation.
  • Options
    farrakhan wrote:
    my parents certainly wouldn't allow it.

See this is what I find so hard to understand, at the end of the day its you that will be living with this person not your parents.

Just suppose you met someone who was not muslim, you were not even thinking about a relationship but as time went on you really did fall for this person does that mean you wouldnt take it further because of your parents ?
    Even though this person was everything you ever could have wanted in a partner.
  • Options

My parents are mixed religions and I don't really think we've had the best of both worlds ...just a bit of each ..but I think that's more down to my parents then the situation.

So now that you are older who have you followed your Mother or Father, or do you have a bit of both ?
  • Options
    Another reason why religion is a bad idea, it puts barriers between people in terms of the relationships they can have........

"My parents wouldn't allow it?"

How old are you? If you are an adult then you should be able to tell them where to go........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Another reason why religion is a bad idea, it puts barriers between people in terms of the relationships they can have........

True, but I suppose if you have been brought up with religion you dont know anything else.
    I dunno, you see its like me and my hubby we are two total opposites, but we work well together. So why cant people of different religions work well ?

I dunno, it just confuses me.
  • Options
    just to reming people how pointless this discussion realy is ...

the jeremy vine show on radio 2 this afternoon had a phone in chat thingy about ...mixed marriages .......

if you can find the link you can go listen to it all over again.
  • Options
    I think it also highlights differences between cultures, in modern western culture people are very independent and family 'honour' doesn't count for as much, if you get me. (not in a nasty way). In many places where there is a stronger family bond then parents permissions becomes increasingly important. So, say a mid 30s woman in new york who's led a succesful career meets a guy from India who feels a huge attatchment to his religion and his family, there are obviously going to be points where there are clashes.

In some households, daily worship is just the way things are done. In others, they'll go round the house effing and blinding at each other. These households could easily be next door to each other.

And mazza, though its largely irrelevent, around here half caste was still used by people of mixed race until the PC brigade said it was racist - where it might have been in other places over here it was just a descriptive term.
  • Options
  • Options
    You mean this link?
    clever sod!

i can't understand mazza thinking the topic was pointless ...seems beckyboos timing was one step ahead of the bbc.
    it is obviously an important topic for many many people.
  • Options
  • Options
    ...seems beckyboos timing was one step ahead of the bbc.

I didnt tell you I was psychic did I :p
  • Options
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    I didnt tell you I was psychic did I :p
    no but psycotic i already figured ...
  • Options
    no but psycotic i already figured ...

fuck off :lol:
  • Options
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    fuck off :lol:
    you always turn up when i'm off to my bed ...you must get here earlier.
    i've washed down to mogadon with two pints of carldberg special ...
  • Options
    you always turn up when i'm off to my bed ...you must get here earlier.
    i've washed down to mogadon with two pints of carldberg special ...

Ive been out, but I shall allow you to naff off to bed..............if you must :p
  • Options
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    Ive been out, but I shall allow you to naff off to bed..............if you must :p
    been out!

been out?