Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mixed marriages

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you think they work well ?
What if any problems do you think people would have if they chose a partner of a different race/religion ?
Do you think children would suffer in a mixed marriage say if one partner was white and the other was black ?
Do you think family members would be ok with mixed marriages and supposing families didnt agree do you think that would affect the couple ?

Comments

• Options
    For the record I could actually see myself with a coloured guy. I saw a hunk of a one in town today, he was drop dead gorgeous. If me hubby hadnt been with me I might have tripped over in front of him, or sommat stoopid like that :D
  • Options
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    What if any problems do you think people would have if they chose a partner of a different race/religion ?
    Do you think children would suffer in a mixed marriage say if one partner was white and the other was black ?
    Do you think family members would be ok with mixed marriages and supposing families didnt agree do you think that would affect the couple ?
    all the things you have mentioned and more i know of.
    some no problem others huge problems.

my father had a dicky fit cos when i was 15 i had a girlfreind from a different part of town.
    she was my age ...white working class but ...she can't of been any good in my fathers eyes cos she was from a certain part of town ...that 25 years before i was born was a rough area ...it had all been flattened and rebuilt but ...not good enough for my old man. it must have still been full of dockers and other riff raff.
  • Options

Mine did for several years. The reasons it ended were more to do with my wandering eye than any race issue, being totally honest.

You mean apart from the outright racist reactions of you friends and family at first? I mean the double takes, the "shes allright for one of them" comments and the having to punch fuckwits every few months for "off colour" (ho ho) remarks?

Most people are fine with the whole race issue in general but once it starts getting nearer to home their can be some funny reactions.

Not really. For the kids whatever happens is normal, it's the adults that have the problems. There can be racist problems but life has all sorts of other problems too.

It can make life hard, no question. Depends on the strength of the family ties etc.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Mine did for several years. The reasons it ended were more to do with my wandering eye than any race issue, being totally honest.

hmm that suprised me.

Did you receive many racist type comments ? also you say yours lasted several years so did the people who made these comments get to know your partner for who they were and disregard colour ?

Sorry if im asking too many questions but I am genuinely interested as to what it is really like in a mixed relationship. You dont have to answer and on this occasion I WILL *shut up* if you want me to ;)
  • Options
    I have a good friend who is - he describes - Persian. A practicing muslim.

His wife is an Israeli Jew.

He maintains that as a result his children have the best of both worlds.
  • Options
    Did you receive many racist type comments ?

A few. It was more the general presumptions that really stood out if you get me. There were very few outright insults or whatnot, but you could almost laugh watching some people backpeddle as they got tongue tied about it.

Best of them were the ones who were openly racists before they knew. i rarely said anything, because people have the right to be mean and idiotic if they wish, but it was often funny when I introduced her.
    also you say yours lasted several years so did the people who made these comments get to know your partner for who they were and disregard colour ?

My mum/aunt got over it eventually. It was never a problem for pops or my brothers and sisters. The older family (on both sides) did have a problem with it. I only left my gran and the original Mrs.K alone once and that was a mistake I didn't repeat.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    The older family (on both sides) did have a problem with it.

aye I would imagine the older generation having a problem.

I love winding peeps up so for me Id probs come out with some sarky comment (to those who I knew dissaproved) just to kind of have the last laugh, at their expense and the comment would obviously be about my partners colour/race hehehehe, bitch eh :D
  • Options
    I remember working behind a bar and eyeing up this black fella who came in. At the time there were hardly any black people in my town and this one just happened to be quite handsome. Anyway I made a comment to my collegue at the time (as ya do) and just got told quite sternly to stick to my own kind.

What the hell?
  • Options
    Its not really a problem between the two people, cause if they really love each other then u know what stands in the way, its what ther close family and friends may think of such a marriage n the social implicatins and tension that mite come with that.
  • Options
    Black DNA shouldn't enter the white genome.

Blacks are genetically and intellectually inferior to whites.
  • Options
    :wave: Adiós fascist cunt! :wave:
  • Options
    what a dick
  • Options

...says the person who can't even spell his username right.

*sigh*

I'm just surprised to not see "banned" under his moniker.
  • Options
    i hope that was a joke. not a very funny one, may i add!!! keep opinions like that to yourself!!!!!!!!
  • Options

That's an interesting viewpoint. Would be nice to have some evidence to actually back it up, wouldn't it? Otherwise it's a vacuous comment. Since the earliest DNA is considered now to be traced back to Africa by 95 per cent of the world's leading geneticists you may have a bit of a flaw to smooth out in your argument. So who or what or you descended from. I'd be gladdened to know...

Also what you are referring to non-racial mixing has a name. In French (from the Latin) it is callled dégenerescence du race", which rough translated means "degeneration of race", as promotes the ideology that racial purity is the fabric that holds society together.

Racial slurs are not accepted on these boards, so find some concrete evidence for your interesting theorem (not the Bell Curve - it is widely discredited), or alternatively keep unsubstantiatied opinion to yourself.

Thank you.
  • Options

*sigh*

Never mind flower, you will grow up.....................one day.

Also fuck off cos we dont want racist twats here.
  • Options

You are about a thosand years too late, mate. >sigh< It's people like this that explain the amount of scar tissue I have.

I have phenomenal colour vision. For me, as an example, every blade of grass is a different colour, ever leaf a different shade. I have never seen two people with the same colour skin. Even one person has many shades.

I pity you. Seriously. Your ability to experience the world must be so small and weak. Are you black/asian, btw? You don't say which race you are yourself.

Now, about the mixing of the races. Every person must have two parents. How long back into history do you have to go to need inbreeding to explain the numbers of people do you think?

So the races are already mixed. Too late was the cry. Not that it's going to make a gnats chuff of difference to you, your undeveloped amygdala isn't going to syddenly evlove at the sight of my words.
  • Options

1. Its a good idea to learn to spell before you claim intellectual superiority. Unless you are black and therefore making a point.

2. The DNA is the same, a quick lesson in genetics would show you that.
  • Options
    1. Its a good idea to learn to spell before you claim intellectual superiority.

pssst what did he spell wrong ?

I cant spell neither :D
  • Options
    Colour is point blank not an issue what so ever.

There is however an issue of culture, in that someone who doesnt share my values and ideas probably isnt going to make a good partner.

So, it comes down to finding someone similar to you (though not to similar) and forgetting about religion, race, colour and all that rubbish.

In my experience there arent all that many people in the World you can spend really extended periods with and not want to poke them with a sharp stick.
  • Options
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    pssst what did he spell wrong ?

I cant spell neither :D

seperateist.

Either that or he's working on a new language...
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Colour is point blank not an issue what so ever.

There is however an issue of culture, in that someone who doesnt share my values and ideas probably isnt going to make a good partner.
    :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
    my thoughts exactly!
    y cant people look past colour.
    i can however see how religion could pose a problem! but if you are open minded and respect eachothers beliefs it should not matter!
  • Options
    seperateist.

Oh yeah :blush:

• Options
    i think its this
    separatist.
    and means this:One who advocates cultural, ethnic, or racial separation
    from the dictionary so spelling should b correct
  • Options
    1. Its a good idea to learn to spell before you claim intellectual superiority. Unless you are black and therefore making a point.

2. The DNA is the same, a quick lesson in genetics would show you that.

Really Man of Kent, as far as I am aware sperateist was writing down a statement of fact in his mind: to paraphrase "blacks are intellectually and genetically inferior to whites."

Now from a common sense point of view why would a person of colour say this because, as you say: "they are making a point." What would that be, that they are a 'self-hater' - don't like being black and would rather be other. This quite possible, but what is impossible is for you to then say. Learn to spell before claimibg intellectual superiority.

As a human being unless you have a very severe mental disorder it is impossible to feel: "superior and inferior" at the same time.

If separateist is black, which I doubt very much he wouldn't be claiming to be racially superior, and then saying: "yet my intellect is inferior and so are my genes."

Is this not the epitome of an 'oxymoronic statement' inferior-superior, you tell me Man of Kent.

And finally, carry on if you must but IMHO this thread is pointless.

I do not know where Becky Boo lives, but unless its the Shetland Isles or Land's end there will be people of varying ethnicities around. In all the big towns (not just London) mixed relationships are everywhere. 70 percent of black and mixed race men are either living with or married to white women. 30 percent of Jewish people marry bon-Jews in the UK. Is this not evidence enough for you guys that 'marrying out' is alive and kicking. Some by the very fact that it is so popular does that not show that a high percentage of these relationships work, at the very least in the mid-term?

To be fair asking if mixed relationships can ever work implies they are a novelty!! I think they are far beyond novelty. Please open your eyes, you may not be in London, but I can step out of Site Towers and see four couples from different backgrounds within 200 metres. This is not Sidney Poitier's era of the 1960's, when Guess Who's Coming To Dinner http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061735/ was the absolute shocker.
    For the record, black people do not refer to themselves as coloured or half caste unless they've been locked away for the last 20 years.

Apologies if you live in a monocultural town where these things are still the absolute taboo, but to be honest it's rare.

Mixed relationships succeed and mixedrelationships fail, just like mono-cultural/racial relationships do. So tbh the fascination and scrutiny is beyond me. :crazyeyes
  • Options
    I quite agree with mazza's points, but I don't see what's wrong with "fuck off you racist cunt".

Much more concise :yes:
  • Options
    Personally i think they would work however religious aspects may limit success.

basically what i am saying my friend has been in a mixed race relationship for years he is black she is white, they are completely in love he respects her vice versa!

On the other hand I knew a girl at a competition who was Muslim, her parents' religion was stranger than hers so when a white, christian from southend started to get close to her, she told him that her parents would never allow a relationship with him due to the clash of beliefs.

I also know of a couple whose parents would not allow them to go out with each other due to one being protestant and the other catholic.

I do not see any problem with mixed race relationships.
  • Options
    mazza wrote:
    Really Man of Kent, as far as I am aware sperateist was writing down a statement of fact in his mind: to paraphrase "blacks are intellectually and genetically inferior to whites."

Now from a common sense point of view why would a person of colour say this because, as you say: "they are making a point." What would that be, that they are a 'self-hater' - don't like being black and would rather be other. This quite possible, but what is impossible is for you to then say: "learn to spell before claiming intellectual superiority."

Hmm... I was - to use a colloquial term - taking the piss. The suggestion being that either, as a white person, the comment was made to make him feel superior in which case spelling his name wrong just make's him look foolish.

Or, a black person would obviously spell their own name wrong, because they are inferior (in the posters opinion)...

But I don't seriously think that the person is black.

It was either take the piss, or tell him to fuck off. Jim V moans at me for doing the latter... :(
    So tbh the fascination and scrutiny is beyond me. :crazyeyes

Me too, for many of the reasons you suggest.
  • Options
    Hmm... I was - to use a colloquial term - taking the piss.

I spotted that. :D
  • Options
    mazza wrote:
    And finally, carry on if you must but IMHO this thread is pointless.

In your opinion Mazza ?

Why do I always get the feeling that if anyone starts colour/race threads you immediately get on the defensive side ? Thats just something ive observed whilst Ive been here.