Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What is "britishness"?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    Could anyone enlighten me as to what qualities that Britain has that are shared by everyone in Britain? And that are exclusive to Britain (i.e. aren't shared by those dirty foreign bastards)?

And, even more to the point, could someone explain how you then "respect" these qualities?

Tea!

I seriously thought the obsession was a myth, but it's definitely well-living.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Tea!

I seriously thought the obsession was a myth, but it's definitely well-living.

I don't drink tea. :no:
  • Options
    I do. It didn't take long after my arrival in the UK to become drinking tea by the bucketload.

Hasn't anyone mentioned queuing yet? That's something this country excels at! ;)
  • Options
    I always though tea was 'English' rather than British (though this may because I can't stand the stuff).
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I do. It didn't take long after my arrival in the UK to become drinking tea by the bucketload.

Hasn't anyone mentioned queuing yet? That's something this country excels at! ;)

While Europeans don't queue. :mad:

*grumbles about Johnny Foreigner always pushing to the front at London tourist attractions*
  • Options
    The idea that any country or nation has an integrated cultural identity is bollocks, a leftover from a tribla past when we lived in groups of a few dozen, an idea that cannot apply in a nation of millions..........
  • Options
    Yes, forming orderly queues rather than pushing in.

That and being plucky, we like being the under rated under dog and then coming through after using some double sided tape and a wierd invention.

On a more serious note I think there should be some concern over ghetos of various racial and religious groups, but that has far more to do with housing than anything else.
  • Options
    Tea, yes, isn't it something to do with tea, and cucumbers?

Both of which are obviously British.
  • Options
    Well tea isn't British for a start, it is from Asia........

Just goes to show that there can be know meaningful rigid idea of a antional culture........
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    bongbudda wrote:
    Yes, forming orderly queues rather than pushing in.

That and being plucky, we like being the under rated under dog and then coming through after using some double sided tape and a wierd invention.

On a more serious note I think there should be some concern over ghetos of various racial and religious groups, but that has far more to do with housing than anything else.

Yes, we havea habit of prevaling despite seemingly not really doing anything. Look at the Falklands, we made Aircraft carriers out of Ro-Ro cargo ships (Roll on, Roll off... not Roll over, roll over. Although alot of them did do that.) And we get on with life during things like the Blitz... just walk round the holes.

But as for hte Racial Divide... its both side's fault. Some of the Immigrants don't want to integrate, some of the snobs put of those who do, with "Oh, we can't have foreign people living in our upper class white areas! Terrbile!" What the fuck is with this? WHY can we all just not get along? Too many arseholes I guess... and what is with the use of "Ghetto?" exactally? That was where the Venetians sent the Jews... I wasn't aware we were segregating jews here?!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Toadborg wrote:

Just goes to show that there can be know meaningful rigid idea of a antional culture........

Proper Tea is theft!
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

Yes, I know. Nor are cucumbers.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

British Empire.
  • Options
    world domination
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    Yes, I know. Nor are cucumbers.

dont matter, culture changes over time like xmas is now a national holiday more than a religious holiday, and before it being a christian holiday, it was a pagan holiday, so things change
  • Options
    dont matter, culture changes over time like xmas is now a national holiday more than a religious holiday, and before it being a christian holiday, it was a pagan holiday, so things change

Yeees, I know. I was just pointing out that things people think of as "British" aren't culturally specific. Umm. So I don't know quite what you were trying to say apart from the same thing.
  • Options
    I agree with Miffy. Foodstuffs are not owned, ubt I gues sthey become associated with certain countries, like feta from Greece or English tea. Even though potatoes came to Europe via Mexico, I always think of them as intrinsically Irish.

I think teh only universal British trait is talking about the weather as a conversation filler no matter where you from.

In most places people say 'excuse me' 'sorry' and all that, but not everywhere and most queue but not everywhere again.

In fact, the whole politeness thing is that all of UK. A Glaswegian friend really shocked me yesterday when he said in Glasgow you can see to people "hello you wee c**t" This is obviously ok I would have thought amongst close friends but he implied in the office as well? He was saying it's a whole different verancular up there. I then said well I thought the whole Raf C nesbitt business was a joke, but he said it's actually very accurate?? I know there is supposed to be a wealth of difference in kind of ways of behaving in Edinburgh and Glasgow and attitudde etc and I was aware Glaswegians was s'posed to be all straight talking, but he also told me it's true we're all drunks as well?! Like all teh time.

It was really strange. I wanted to laugh. Can any Scot's board user please cnfirm or deny this. i'd be really intersted to know if this is accurate, or if my friend was juts taking the piss out of my gullibility. he told me I'd get a shock if I went to Glasgow! edinburgh seemed tame when I was there!!
  • Options
    Ok, as a non british this is what we all think of you (just because i'm bored i emailed a few people and this is a collection of our responses)
    Rude
    Stuck up
    Bad teeth
    Bad Fashion
    Don't shower
    Ignorant
    Dirty
    Really bad teeth
    Gay accents
    Ugly number 1
    Bad clothes
    Ugly

;)
  • Options
    Charming. You forgot polite.
  • Options
    Gay accents? I dont think we sound poofy as a nation.
  • Options
    My boss said rude and nobody said polite :p

Blame my fiance, boss, friend and her husband :p
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    A lot of men in London look poofy though, but I think the whole metrosexuality thing came from America. :lol:

Nah... What is it to be British? Feel hard done by, have a chip on your shoulder, be fat and get pissed and puke on the street each weekend obviously.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Ok, as a non british this is what we all think of you (just because i'm bored i emailed a few people and this is a collection of our responses)
    Rude
    Stuck up
    Bad teeth
    Bad Fashion
    Don't shower
    Ignorant
    Dirty
    Really bad teeth
    Gay accents
    Ugly number 1
    Bad clothes
    Ugly

;)
    See if you can get hold of a book called 'Watching The English' by Kate Fox. You'll then learn that our 'rudeness' or 'standoffish-ness' is actually "negative politeness", a fascinating concept I think you'll agree.

What's with the teeth thing though? It must be a common misconception Stateside.
  • Options
    and what well dressed straight sounding attractive country might you be from?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    "negative politeness",

Well you yall are well worded ;)
  • Options
    hyuck
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

-You're not British, you're just probably a little bit poofy
    - I am I drink tea an' all

God almighty this thread is boring. If I ever wanted to know how some people condensed the vastness of something as abstract and complicated as a nationality let alone a collective one such as Britishness into a meaningless pithy phrase, I found the right place.

Close. Thread. Now. Bored. Out. Of. My. Fucking. Mind.
  • Options
    You knew what is was going to be about why did you read it then? I'm sure you'd have no problem reading a large thread about American steryotypes or maybe Mexican?