Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fur Fashionable?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know this sounds really superficial, but I really can't be arsed to look far enough for an inexpensive alternative to my suede boots/leather shoes/silk pyjamas etc.
    It sounds unkind, but I'd much rather pay £35 for a pair of suede boots in Barratts, than £95 for fake suede ones that either fall apart within 2 months, or look absolutely vile (an opinion which I have gathered after browsing vegan shoe sites). I was a vegetarian for 2 years until about 5 months ago, when I had a ham sandwich, and now I've become too weak to start again.

I wouldn't wear fur because not only am I a hypocrit and believe fluffy mink and chinchillas are worth more than a cow, but I wouldn't be able to afford the stuff. I quite happily wear fake fur.
  • Options
    I was a vegetarian for 2 years until about 5 months ago, when I had a ham sandwich

Haha.. Awwwh!
  • Options
    I dislike fur. And fake fur.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I have a lovely pair of moleskin trousers for shooting. The poor moles! ;)
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    www.Google.co.uk - plenty of research into humans being omnivorous.

But that aint what you said. You said we had the anatomy of a herbivore. innit.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    No offence all you greenies but i couldn't care less, humans are the dominant speices, kill em all!
  • Options
    I'm not 'talking shit' at all. Studies show that human anatomy is not suited to being carnivorous. For example, we do not possess the same teeth as carnivores, we have flat molars for chewing, not canines for ripping flesh from bone. We have hands and nails, not claws for gripping one's prey.
    Our saliva is alkaline, carnivore's saliva are acidic. Our intestinal tract is 6-8 times longer than that of an carnivore (who's IT is around 2 times their body length).

I could go on. There is more research to prove that we are omnivores, than there is to prove that we are meant to have a meat based diet.

You choose what you want to believe, that's fine. But don't tell me I'm talking shit.

Ilora.

we're hunter gatherers, omniverous, we cant graze grass all day nor could we survive just eating animals due to our digestive tracts needing some roughage etc still

we have molars and carnivorous teeth, both smaller than the respective classes of animal

you can live without meat with supplements, like you can live without vegetables with supplements, though personally i like a big variety since nothing beats a veg/meat combo - other than potato curry, but thats in a league of its own
  • Options
    So why is it okay to eat meat (when biologically, we're not suited to it) and it's not okay wear fur?

Strange that we have been eating meat for a good few thousand years then isnt it.

And wearing fur isnt wrong, abusing animals to get the fur from them is wrong.
  • Options
    I'm not 'talking shit' at all. Studies show that human anatomy is not suited to being carnivorous. For example, we do not possess the same teeth as carnivores, we have flat molars for chewing, not canines for ripping flesh from bone. We have hands and nails, not claws for gripping one's prey.
    Our saliva is alkaline, carnivore's saliva are acidic. Our intestinal tract is 6-8 times longer than that of an carnivore (who's IT is around 2 times their body length).

I could go on. There is more research to prove that we are omnivores, than there is to prove that we are meant to have a meat based diet.

You choose what you want to believe, that's fine. But don't tell me I'm talking shit.

Ilora.

You've been puffing on the crack pipe haven't you, come on, admit it.

Firstly: You may not have canines but i'm pretty sure the rest of us do.

Some proof

Secondly: Again, you may be the exception from the rule but i'm pretty sure everyone else's saliva is neutral. 7.4 on the PH scale to be exact, which is about as neutral as you can get.

Clicky

Please take your ill informed preachy drivel elsewhere.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    no im not, killing animals for meat is ok in my opinion - because generally you're meant to have it in your diet, and at least it is actually useful.....but killing animals just for the sake of 'fashion' is wrong
    that's what i think anyway

So killing them for meat is ok but for clothing no?

Personally, I think fur rocks. It´s comfortable, natural and warm. I really don´t see the difference between killing animals for food and for clothing. We need both, we don´t have to necessarily choose animals for said functions but people choose to anyway. If you think killing for fur is barbaric and killing for food equally vile then that´s fine. I just think it´s stupid that people can denounce fur for being evil while happily eating say, battery-farmed chickens which go through, I´d say though I´ve never conversed with one on the subject, a lot more suffering than the animal getting skinned. So come on people, let´s be consistent here.

I say, hooray for meat! Hooray for fur!
  • Options
    I just think it´s stupid that people can denounce fur for being evil while happily eating say, battery-farmed chickens which go through, I´d say though I´ve never conversed with one on the subject, a lot more suffering than the animal getting skinned. So come on people, let´s be consistent here.

So as long as people still eat meat from cruel conditions its ok for fur to be made that way too?

Does that condition apply to people too, they still use torture in some countries, so its ok for us to do it?
  • Options
    I dont care what they do to the animal, wose is done for other things. I just have never seen anything fur that isn't ass ugly. And the thought that grosses me out is not only are you wearing fur, but your wearing their skin too. it rubs the lotion on its skin... My soon mother in law wears fur coats. God she looks vial.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    So as long as people still eat meat from cruel conditions its ok for fur to be made that way too?

Does that condition apply to people too, they still use torture in some countries, so its ok for us to do it?

That's not what he said and you know it. :razz:

He suggested that for someone to eat battery farmed chickens and then complain about the cruelty involved in the fur trade would be a tad hypocritical.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

That´s not what I´m saying. I´m trying to highlight the hipocrasy that most people show with regard to fur. It´s just the same with fox hunting. Ignoring the fact that foxes are vermin and destroy livelihoods and hunting is a damn fun way of keeping their numbers in check, most of the anti-hunt people are quite happy to eat kebabs and cruelly killed meat as long as the sweet little ginger animal isn´t chased by a load of rich people through the countryside. Fucking animal rights dickheads.

Torture has been around since the dawn of time because the human capacity for cruelty is such that it permits us to do these things. We can try our little bit but there is no escaping that humans are cruel and generally, we´re a bunch of wankers as far as species go. Not that it excuses it, but it does explain it.
  • Options
    So killing them for meat is ok but for clothing no?

Personally, I think fur rocks. It´s comfortable, natural and warm. I really don´t see the difference between killing animals for food and for clothing. We need both, we don´t have to necessarily choose animals for said functions but people choose to anyway. If you think killing for fur is barbaric and killing for food equally vile then that´s fine. I just think it´s stupid that people can denounce fur for being evil while happily eating say, battery-farmed chickens which go through, I´d say though I´ve never conversed with one on the subject, a lot more suffering than the animal getting skinned. So come on people, let´s be consistent here.

I say, hooray for meat! Hooray for fur!
    That's exactly how I feel. Except my response was completely and utterly inarticulate :D

Ilora x x
  • Options
    since when did we NEED fur though? it's not the ice ages anymore
    i think it looks quite tacky tbh
  • Options
    fur is old skool pimpin so not cool pimps are mad crazy
  • Options
    That's exactly how I feel. Except my response was completely and utterly inarticulate :D

Ilora x x

*tips hat, looks suave, and takes Ilora home* :D

rss3000 wrote:
    fur is old skool pimpin so not cool pimps are mad crazy

It could just be that I'm detatched from popular culture but I have no idea what this means.
  • Options
    *tips hat, looks suave, and takes Ilora home* :D
    Rawr :flirt:

Ilora x
  • Options
    That´s not what I´m saying. I´m trying to highlight the hipocrasy that most people show with regard to fur. It´s just the same with fox hunting. Ignoring the fact that foxes are vermin and destroy livelihoods and hunting is a damn fun way of keeping their numbers in check, most of the anti-hunt people are quite happy to eat kebabs and cruelly killed meat as long as the sweet little ginger animal isn´t chased by a load of rich people through the countryside. Fucking animal rights dickheads.

Torture has been around since the dawn of time because the human capacity for cruelty is such that it permits us to do these things. We can try our little bit but there is no escaping that humans are cruel and generally, we´re a bunch of wankers as far as species go. Not that it excuses it, but it does explain it.

I partially agree with the first bit, but are you not condoning torture in the second bit?
  • Options
    Humans are designed to eat meat. There are nutrients a human needs that cannot be easily got from vegetables.

Humans need to wear fur. Fur is the best thing, by far, for keeping the body warm in cold climates. Synthetic materials just don't work as well.

Skinning them aloive isn't the way to do it, but I actually believe that this is made up by PETA, as a lot of these "horror stories" are.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Humans need to wear fur. Fur is the best thing, by far, for keeping the body warm in cold climates. Synthetic materials just don't work as well.

Skinning them aloive isn't the way to do it, but I actually believe that this is made up by PETA, as a lot of these "horror stories" are.

But they are cutesie wootsie and they have lovely little adorable faces.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I partially agree with the first bit, but are you not condoning torture in the second bit?

No. Just saying that humans are cruel by nature so things such as torture are logical manifestations of that cruelty. I'm not saying that it doesn't suck balls, just saying that it is part of the human psyche, whether we like it or not.
  • Options
    shut up !
  • Options
    How about no.

Just because your only contribution to this quite spanknig thread has been soemthing incoherent about pimps.